Christians United

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
madhermit so you are saying bars are the only alternative to meeting guys other than single's groups in churches?
thats evil, sadly you are a pastor. you teach that people can get out of hell and dont even take it seriously that these people claiming to be christians are going to bars to meet men. they also arent goign there to find a husband, trust me on that, nobody is dumb enough to look for a good christian man from a bar. fornication is the name of the game, not desperation to find a husband so they are "forced" to go to bars. come on.

sorry to be this blunt. this is horrible.

bars are not the only social option for christians. you can find people outside of church in non-sinful environments.
In my town (about 5,000, that's just the social reality for single Christians.

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
Rubbish! I asked them to find an agreeable leader to provide them the alternative social options they were lacking in their churches. Period. I really didn't have time to lead such a group myself. But as I said, I have seen how successful such a group can be to find singles a godly spouse. But the bars won because the pastors put petty fears and differences ahead of the needs of God's single people.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Rubbish! I asked them to find an agreeable leader to provide them the alternative social options they were lacking in their churches. Period. I really didn't have time to lead such a group myself. But as I said, I have seen how successful such a group can be to find singles a godly spouse. But the bars won because the pastors put petty fears and differences ahead of the needs of God's single people.
Proverbs 20:6

I think you have to make the time, Im shocked that is the reality in small towns though, if a bar is the only place you can meet and talk to an umarried man. But then what else is there to do in small towns, youve got to organise things like dances, picnics, bbqs, dinners, camps, walks, sports, outings and other activities.

What about minstries, or again, is that divided up into mens and womens separte ministries, it shouldnt be. Surely cooking a community meal, bbq, or bulidng a house or making ovver a garden or planting trees, or a fishing trip or a movie night is not just for one or the other gender. How hard can it be to get people to gather together, esp singles?

Otherwise, we ought to be asking just exactly what are pastors doing with their time? Why arent they feeding the sheep? Is it just a 20 minute sermon on Sunday and thats it??

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
I'd like to share a "Christian Unity" joke.
---
Q: How many Presbyterians does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: One to screw it in. Another to challenge the action of the first based on
the doctrine of predestination. A third to hear both side and advise them to
take it to the session. The session splits over it and bring it to the Presbytery.
The Presbytery splits over it and decides to take it to GA. GA appoints a committee
and two subcommittees to do a study.
Over the course of the next two years, they come up with several position papers
( with minority reports ) and finally draft a resolution. The resolution is brought before
GA and it passes. And then the disgruntled minority breaks off and forms the "Old Light"
Presbyterian Church!
----
I was involved in several denominations - including Presbyterian church.
- During my spiritual journey.. 45+ years.
---
Denominational and church politics are similar to what is going on - in
political arena.
- Focus is on power, status..etc.
---
You need to consider those factors when you talk about "Christian Unity."

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
Some people on this thread might have heard "Christian Unity" joke before.
- I found it..from online.

DylanRobson

Feb 26, 2018
I am not replying to everyone so I do hope that you all see this, thank you to those of you who saw the promise in the message, I know that we are limited and tested, and we are faced with obstacles daily, but God is not limited, there is nothing he cannot do, and he goes before us to make our paths straight. And we know that everything works together for the good of those who love him. We need just be strong and of a good courage. I did however like the way the matchmaker comment was laid out about God working through you but would not have been possible without the group existence, like the scripture I planted Apollos watered but God supplied the growth. I am disappointed to read the immediate negative direction that some replies have taken. This is exactly the kind of thing I want to avoid. If Christian members cannot get along in a loving and respectful manner even with one another, then how exactly would we be leading others too God. I have seen the bad reputation over the years that has been attached to the christian belief due to the members that seem to think their beliefs are a weapon against other Christians. Don't you see that you were supposed to be a light leading the way, not a whip forcing it? The vision I have been given is a united brethren, sharing testimonies and scriptures daily, interacting with one another. Joined by a shared love of the word and of God, preaching the finished works of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. And yes starting relationships in personal life for friendship, networking or love as well as in the business field that we may build one another up.

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
Fundamentalist posters in this thread are looking for any excuse to avoid the distinction between essentials and inessentials that has the potential to produce great interdenominational cooperation. Consider these 2 points:
(1) Billy Graham was the most effective evangelist of all time. The sense of the Holy Spirit's presence in his crusades was powerful, evne before the service. I know, because I was there early for every one of his Winnipeg crusade services. He was so effective because his association persuaded almost every denominational church in the city to meet together and pray for lost souls to come to Christ. I'm sure that has never happened there before or since! The results? Hundreds came forward nightly to commit their lives to Christ.

(2) A few years a group of about 5 or 6 vets were dining across from me in a local restaurant. They already know I was a local pastor. So they made this observation to me: "Do you know why we'll never attend a church here?" "No, why?" Because we know for a fact that even you ministers can't get along well enough to cooperate with each other!" Touche!

DylanRobson

Feb 26, 2018
Fundamentalist posters in this thread are looking for any excuse to avoid the distinction between essentials and inessentials that has the potential to produce great interdenominational cooperation. Consider these 2 points:
(1) Billy Graham was the most effective evangelist of all time. The sense of the Holy Spirit's presence in his crusades was powerful, evne before the service. I know, because I was there early for every one of his Winnipeg crusade services. He was so effective because his association persuaded almost every denominational church in the city to meet together and pray for lost souls to come to Christ. I'm sure that has never happened there before or since! The results? Hundreds came forward nightly to commit their lives to Christ.

(2) A few years a group of about 5 or 6 vets were dining across from me in a local restaurant. They already know I was a local pastor. So they made this observation to me: "Do you know why we'll never attend a church here?" "No, why?" Because we know for a fact that even you ministers can't get along well enough to cooperate with each other!" Touche!
And this needs to change. It is great to meet you by the way. I am actually studying ministry after being called a few years ago. And the more I learn, the more I see how much change is needed, and how far we are from what we were intended to be. And I like the Billy Graham reference, with God, anything is possible, and we can make a difference and start leading people to God the right way, with unity and love. this is a video on yt about the site I am busy with, would be great to hear your thoughts

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
The truth is the truth and that is one of the biggest problems within so called Christianity.....chunk the truth in favor of "getting together"
There is a role for acknowledging similarities and differences.
I wonder if people need to belong to something distinct to identify purpose over knowing
how to love and co-operate despite differences?

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
Unity

This thread demonstrates some distinct problems.
1. Jumping to conclusions and attacking people based on assumptions
2. Not listening and getting to know people before declaring ones position
3. Not understanding how we walk matters more than how we believe

Jesus sent out His disciples to people who welcomed them in.
The receptive people did not know the disciples, but it was their openness that
mattered most, being vulnerable and being prepared to move.

I have spent time with 1,000's of people, and they all are interesting, talented people,
yet the way others respond you would not believe so. So who has the problem?
The judgementalists and rule makers, or those who want to engage?

Our primary calling is to love all, to get alongside and die for one another.
So who do you see following this example and who throws it out at the first opportunity?
It is not the beliefs that declare what is in their hearts but what they do and say.

noblenut

Nov 29, 2017
yes we should all be united by christ and my criteria for someone for being a christian is they believe in Jesus, that said there are some churches that do not properly represent him, some try to manipulate the spirit and come up with all kinds of false signs, others are controlling and insists on the perishiners following a strict set of rules instead of heaving the freedom of Christ, while other clasp there hands with pagans, the worse are those who except immorality and do not hold to bible teaching. but some have a true love and affection for Jesus and each other and hold on to the truth, for those that do i call u brothers and sisters.

Nov 26, 2012
I am not replying to everyone so I do hope that you all see this, thank you to those of you who saw the promise in the message, I know that we are limited and tested, and we are faced with obstacles daily, but God is not limited, there is nothing he cannot do, and he goes before us to make our paths straight. And we know that everything works together for the good of those who love him. We need just be strong and of a good courage. I did however like the way the matchmaker comment was laid out about God working through you but would not have been possible without the group existence, like the scripture I planted Apollos watered but God supplied the growth. I am disappointed to read the immediate negative direction that some replies have taken. This is exactly the kind of thing I want to avoid. If Christian members cannot get along in a loving and respectful manner even with one another, then how exactly would we be leading others too God. I have seen the bad reputation over the years that has been attached to the christian belief due to the members that seem to think their beliefs are a weapon against other Christians. Don't you see that you were supposed to be a light leading the way, not a whip forcing it? The vision I have been given is a united brethren, sharing testimonies and scriptures daily, interacting with one another. Joined by a shared love of the word and of God, preaching the finished works of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. And yes starting relationships in personal life for friendship, networking or love as well as in the business field that we may build one another up.
I admire your motivation, but your plan needs work. It’s not that the people haven’t heard the Word, the problem is that they have. They heard it from hypocritical parents. They heard it from narrow minded pastors. They heard it from scoffing scientists. It’s not the Word we need to spread, it’s the Love.

I’m not saying you’re selling religion but you are advertising. As much as we all like to say that it’s a free gift, there are strings attached. Christ understood who is audience was. “Do the healthy need a doctor?” If you want to preach forgiveness, go to the convicted (jails). If you want to preach life, go to the sick. If you want to preach freedom, go to those in bondage (addicts).

I can’t remember who wrote the cross and a switchblade but that is what I mean. Like Christ used farming analogies, here’s one. Don’t try to harvest under ripened produce.

The seeds have been scattered already through the land. What we need is rain (living water) to give the seeds life, that they may turn to wheat, made to bread, to be eaten, which becomes part of us, to give us life.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Amen,..holy spirit only came when everyone was of one accord.

If we are gathering in the name of Jesus, we all ought to agree thats the primary reason why we are there.

Not for the morning tea, not to see our friends, not because we have to, and not because someone else told us we had to be there, or because were putting on an performance item or your roped onto doing a rostered duty. Not because we want to make our own names known. Not because we may be looking for a spouse. Not because we want to debate or argue a doctrine.

But because we all believe in Jesus. He is risen!

Evening all, haven't been here in a while; not even sure when my last login was before tonight. A lot has happened in my life since then, and will say this: am not going to try to live for God, not going to try to follow Jesus, not going to try to keep His commandments and live righteously on my own again. Didn't think fellowship was necessary (been too much hypocrisy in my life), didn't really believe there are churches that truly love God and want to live for Jesus, with a church body/family that IS true; and not too sure how to find such.
At a very critical point in this existence, and know that along with belief in Lord God Almighty, and asking Jesus to forgive my sins and come into my heart, and believing that He gave His Life and shed His Blood for me on the Cross, is also the need for a church family and gathering together of other brothers and sisters in His Name. There is safety/strength in numbers; opted to go it alone, and do not advise it for anyone. Separation from/enmity with God will destroy.
Just reaching out for prayer, and thank you.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Thats terrible..as for number 2 wow thats desperation. Why are young christian single women going to bars just to meet men? Cant they find any in their own church, or is it because the church leaders just seepartes them off from each other?!
Perhaps dating choir boys does not appeal to them.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
It is hard for people to agree to disagree on minors and come together in one accord. I do feel the body MUST agree and those that refuse agreement are not in alignment. I'm not saying to agree with some vague revelatory movement or some watered down gospel
but to have harmony amongst the "ranks" so to speak.

We have minor doctrinal divisions...that's fine. It's being DIVIDED that is NOT.

We are all in the same army :)

The wolves will be weeded out the closer we grow to the shepherd.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Im really encouraged by a church conference am attending thats open to all believers, not just women, not just men, and not just all from one denom of church.

The only sad thing is when churches shun other churches and pastors of churches cant get along, because they compare church sizes and go well my church is bigger/older/better than your church.

Apparently several years back, the methodists and presybetarians joined to be one union church...but it broke down in the end cos one group said the other one didnt have the holy spirit. Well isnt our God big enough to pour out on all believers?! No matter where they at, old, young, male, female, greek, jew or native and foreign...

But oh no its like us and them. Elect and not elect. well God desnt see that. JEsus prayed that we will all be as one.

Father make us one.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
yes we should all be united by christ and my criteria for someone for being a christian is they believe in Jesus, that said there are some churches [1] that do not properly represent him, [2] some try to manipulate the spirit and come up with all kinds of false signs, [3] others are controlling and insists on the perishiners following a strict set of rules instead of heaving the freedom of Christ, while [4] other clasp there hands with pagans, [5] the worse are those who except immorality and do not hold to bible teaching. but some have a true love and affection for Jesus and each other and hold on to the truth, for those that do i call u brothers and sisters.
As you can see from your post, you have placed the ideal alongside the reality, and discovered that there cannot be genuine Christian unity within Christendom as it stands.

All that Christians can hope for is the unity of the Spirit within a local church which adheres strictly to Gospel truth and Bible truth, and where the love of Christ is expressed within that relatively small group.

We should also remember the parables of the Kingdom which show us that Christendom will be a mixture of wheat and tares, good fish and bash, sheep and wolves.

noblenut

Nov 29, 2017
As you can see from your post, you have placed the ideal alongside the reality, and discovered that there cannot be genuine Christian unity within Christendom as it stands.

All that Christians can hope for is the unity of the Spirit within a local church which adheres strictly to Gospel truth and Bible truth, and where the love of Christ is expressed within that relatively small group.

We should also remember the parables of the Kingdom which show us that Christendom will be a mixture of wheat and tares, good fish and bash, sheep and wolves.
i find the church i am going to is the ideal, and we have a bit to do with other congregations, i hope u find your ideal church or have the courage to work with one that is not, God bless