Christians with mental health

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Liss

Feb 16, 2020
As a Christian I find it quite difficult to communicate with other Christian’s about my struggles with mental health. After high school I had a mental crisis.... To cut a very long story short, I asked advice from one of my pastors and he pretty much told me that I was living a “woe is me lifestyle”. In other words I was just feeling sorry for myself and I was supposed to suck it up somehow. I upset me so very much and I found it really hard to explain to him that no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t help it.
I found out about 6 months later that I have borderline personality disorder (BPD). BPD symptoms Symptoms can vary, and it is a hard one to explain. There are a lot of myths about people with BPD, and a lot of people who know us judge us.

I struggle most with the fact that a lot of christians don’t seem to grasp the concept of mental disorders.
We have another pastor at our church now and he is a trained councillor. He noticed that I was A bit out of sorts last Friday, and he said that if I ever want to talk he is there... which I thought was super nice of him but I’m actually too scared to talk to him. I’m afraid he will say the same thing the other pastor did. I’m always afraid of not being understood and not being able to explain that I actually am not in full control of anything that I do or say. You know the saying “let go and let God” ... well I’m not able to do that fully. Argh it’s so hard to explain. Unfortunately I am going through a few things at the moment and I’m seriously struggling. I need therapy but I can’t afford it :(

So yeah those are my ramblings for now. Can anyone else relate? Does anyone here have BPD? I’d love to chat with you.
Peace ✌️

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
As a Christian I find it quite difficult to communicate with other Christian’s about my struggles with mental health. After high school I had a mental crisis.... To cut a very long story short, I asked advice from one of my pastors and he pretty much told me that I was living a “woe is me lifestyle”. In other words I was just feeling sorry for myself and I was supposed to suck it up somehow. I upset me so very much and I found it really hard to explain to him that no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t help it.
I found out about 6 months later that I have borderline personality disorder (BPD). BPD symptoms Symptoms can vary, and it is a hard one to explain. There are a lot of myths about people with BPD, and a lot of people who know us judge us.

I struggle most with the fact that a lot of christians don’t seem to grasp the concept of mental disorders.
We have another pastor at our church now and he is a trained councillor. He noticed that I was A bit out of sorts last Friday, and he said that if I ever want to talk he is there... which I thought was super nice of him but I’m actually too scared to talk to him. I’m afraid he will say the same thing the other pastor did. I’m always afraid of not being understood and not being able to explain that I actually am not in full control of anything that I do or say. You know the saying “let go and let God” ... well I’m not able to do that fully. Argh it’s so hard to explain. Unfortunately I am going through a few things at the moment and I’m seriously struggling. I need therapy but I can’t afford it :(

So yeah those are my ramblings for now. Can anyone else relate? Does anyone here have BPD? I’d love to chat with you.
Peace ✌️
I can relate generally on mental health. But mostly within anxiety that does cause me to have control issues and if things feel out of control, I have to fight off panic attacks. Also a car accident, chronic pain, has caused moments in life of depression or melancholy type of worldview.

But these are when I'm at my lowest. Time, knowledge, and dependence on Christ has brought me a long way with less episodes yearly.

For some one to say wo is me is a clear indication they do not understand mental disorders. In actuality most people suffer from some sort of mental disorder due to the overwhelming gloom of the world, high levels of stress, and fears.

There are ways to get help even if you cannot afford it. Check with the state, local churches, or sometimes your job has help programs. But also check online some places offer help for free. For example https://www.hopefortheheart.org/.

Hope this helps. Stay strong. Stay in prayer. Stay in the Word and remember God loves you just the way you are. Through your strengths and weaknesses. God will not forsake you nor will He let you fight alone. We worship THE God. One true God, creator of the universe billions of lightyears in its expanse. You in comparison such a small speck within the spectrum of space and time but yet God personally seeks you out, wants a relationship with you, loves you, and will fight for you. A jealous God over you. Even if you feel out of control, God is always in control. The sustainer of every atom, every universal law, and the very breath of life that fills our lungs.

Be blessed

Princesse

Feb 16, 2020
As a rule, people are intimately acquainted with challenges through firsthand experiences or difficulties they’ve endured supporting loved ones. It’s my consensus that every ail has a holy solution and mental illness is no different. God equips believers with gifts in mercy, counseling and helps to address them.

Mental illness is laborious for the sufferer and loved ones. I knew someone who was bipolar. One day she was up the next she wasn’t. Her emotions went on a constant rollercoaster. More so when she neglected to take her medicine. Thankfully, an intervention and change of mindset brought her to a better place.

It required daily conversations filled with support, encouragement, and tough love when needed. Her behavior nearly destroyed their relationship. The intervention was the final step. Change didn’t happen overnight. But with constancy and time she improved.

I wasn’t walking with the Lord during that period. My involvement was borne of love. It’s unlikely I could do the same today. Experiencing her depression up close helped me grasp my limitations and appreciate those who excel where I’m lacking or ill equipped.

Although, I don’t struggle with mental illness, I think it’s important to have people in your corner who are invested in your welfare and betterment. While support is obviously important; accountability can’t be ignored. It’s important you’re working within the parameters of ability. No matter the limitations.

And most importantly, it’s necessary to see yourself outside of your illness and cease to define yourself in that way. This is easier said than done and requires reinforcement from others to become ingrained. I believed in her and saw beyond her hardships. It took a long while before she did the same.

The understanding you seek is found in service. We can’t minister to others effectively without a burden and the appropriate tools to do so. I encourage you to ask about benevolence ministries at your church or larger ones in your area. They have people trained and gifted to provide the support and resources you need.

And I’d ask the Lord to give you loving friends who’ll walk with you and show you how to serve them in turn. Good luck. :)

Liss

Feb 16, 2020
I can relate generally on mental health. But mostly within anxiety that does cause me to have control issues and if things feel out of control, I have to fight off panic attacks. Also a car accident, chronic pain, has caused moments in life of depression or melancholy type of worldview.

But these are when I'm at my lowest. Time, knowledge, and dependence on Christ has brought me a long way with less episodes yearly.

For some one to say wo is me is a clear indication they do not understand mental disorders. In actuality most people suffer from some sort of mental disorder due to the overwhelming gloom of the world, high levels of stress, and fears.

There are ways to get help even if you cannot afford it. Check with the state, local churches, or sometimes your job has help programs. But also check online some places offer help for free. For example https://www.hopefortheheart.org/.

Hope this helps. Stay strong. Stay in prayer. Stay in the Word and remember God loves you just the way you are. Through your strengths and weaknesses. God will not forsake you nor will He let you fight alone. We worship THE God. One true God, creator of the universe billions of lightyears in its expanse. You in comparison such a small speck within the spectrum of space and time but yet God personally seeks you out, wants a relationship with you, loves you, and will fight for you. A jealous God over you. Even if you feel out of control, God is always in control. The sustainer of every atom, every universal law, and the very breath of life that fills our lungs.

Be blessed
Thank you for your kind words ❤️

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Bipolar disorder is quite different from borderline personality disorder.

Please dont confuse the two.
I suffered from Bipolar disorder and the Lord set me free. So am fully recovered. I had suffered it for many years from a teen.

I encourage you to seek therapy from a trained biblical counsellor, and inner healing. if you cant afford it dont worry the Lord will provide. I just told someone my circmstances and later when I did find a job I was able to pay them back. But prayer is free.

one person I knew that had borderline or symptoms of it, was able to acknowledge that she didnt feel in control of her emotions. It stems from possible trauma or abandonment in childhood. I know people go oh dont blame your parents etc but...in childhood those healthy bonds re needed and if they are absent you are going to have a hard time of it later in life. tHe good news is...if you are a believer, you can be born again and adopted into Gods family where you can have a fresh start. so its not too late.

so whatver it is that triggers you or you have to deal with God wants to heal you.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I am enjoying and being built up from this teaching and offer it to you for your health in Jesus name.
Keeping his word before me, being in relationship with the person of Jesus with every thought, word and deed, has and is bringing me His health, as He to0ld us in Matthew chapter 6 ( I think) we can live in a place where the evil one touches us not.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
One of the things is how we come to take possession of a diagnosis, "I have this", and "I have such and such disease", when in reality Jesus paid for our health and healing 2000 years ago, "By His stripes we are healed". He has already paid the price, we need only learn to appropriate His healing.

WingsOfLight

Dec 10, 2019
I don't agree with those who give you the "woe is me, you need to just deal with it" phrase. Sometimes it's just not as simple as that. For those who have never dealt with Any kind of mental disorder or who have never been around it, they wouldn't quite understand the things a person can go through. I understand what it means to need help or extra guidance, and even support. We are human beings, not robots. Even God understands this! Therefore, He is not going to critically judge like some people do. He will be the biggest help and support in anyone's life, no matter what anyone thinks.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I found this of Bob Jones and bride and I have copied it at a place where they are speaking of the power of the tongue and how we can proclaim health and life by the power of the tongue.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
@Liss
You'll find similar attitudes on this site, by some. Having long term depression I know the struggle of people not getting what it's like, or even is. Particularly Christian's.
Despite depression being more common than BPD there is still a lot of ignorance around it. And mental illness as a whole.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I have obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety. It can be hard honestly most of the time to even convince anyone that I "have" it. Fortunately though most of my church family who have seen me at my absolute worst know that I have a legit chemical/hormonal imbalance.

I seem to remember my church family not so into the ideas of mental health and pharmaceuticals before I had my first big mental health breakdown. After that it seems like they became more open to the idea. Have to have a personal experience with it first I guess.

WingsOfLight

Dec 10, 2019
I have obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety. It can be hard honestly most of the time to even convince anyone that I "have" it. Fortunately though most of my church family who have seen me at my absolute worst know that I have a legit chemical/hormonal imbalance.

I seem to remember my church family not so into the ideas of mental health and pharmaceuticals before I had my first big mental health breakdown. After that it seems like they became more open to the idea. Have to have a personal experience with it first I guess.
It's good to know that your church is on your side and supports you.
You're right, most people have to know what's it's like to understand.
I think people who are understanding are the ones who really get the meaning of humanity. Also, it's good that you can be open about this. No matter what you are going through, a support team can also mean real, true friendships!:)

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Do you pray without ceasing? I have noticed when I am in the Spirit I have symptoms that go away, and have had others report that as well. The more I keep focused on Him, when I keep His portrait in my minds picture frame, my anxiety goes away.
bless you

Liss

Feb 16, 2020
Praying doesn’t always make anxiety go away, just as it doesn’t always make cancer go away. Sometimes it takes many years for God to heal something because it isn’t the right timing yet.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Praying is learned, so we must learn to do it correctly, not all are able yet to pray in the Spirit".
best wishes

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Scripture tells us the fervent, effectual, prayer of a righteous person changes much, so, we know there is a difference between prayers from people. It isn't just "magic words" that make something spiritual in nature "go away".
best wishes