Christmas/Holiday Cards

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MsMediator

Well-known member
Mar 8, 2022
1,396
990
113
Do you send out, or receive, greeting cards?

When you send out cards, do you simply sign the card or include a personal message? If you include a message, is it personal or generic?

When you receive cards, are you sometimes disappointed in the card because there is no meaningful message (or perhaps a gift)?

I have not sent out cards in a while, because I usually email or text people and I put the same message there. I usually only appreciate cards when there is a meaningful message. Growing up, I used to get birthday and Christmas cards from close family and sometimes a friend and I still keep them. However, over time I have not received meaningful cards (or sent out cards). Some cards I receive just have a signature, and while I am glad they thought of me to send a card I usually throw them away. I find these cards no different than the generic cards from the doctor's office or year-end cards from other establishments that come in the mail.
 
I do. Last Christmas I sent out 5 Christmas cards. This can vary though, one year I only sent one card.
There are 2 ladies out of state (Georgia and Alabama) that I send birthday cards to and they send birthday cards to me.
I've exchanged greeting cards on Valentine's Day, if I'm involved with someone.
I have sent Easter cards and Thanksgiving cards, but I haven't a few years.
I've even done 4th of July, Halloween, etc. cards. But, those are rare.
And many times, I've sent thank you cards and cards just to say "Thinking of you." Postcards too, if I'm somewhere interesting and I feel like sending a close friend a postcard. Oh, and I also send sympathy and get well cards.

It all depends on how close I am to the person as to whether I put a lengthy/meaningful handwritten note in with the card. Otherwise, I write a short and sweet note.

I no longer have anyone that I'm close to living in the same state as me. Thus, greeting cards, online messaging, phone calls (actually, I currently only talk on the phone with one person), and other long distance communication is necessary.

I didn't realize how much of a greeting card person I am until your thread :unsure::eek:
 
Do you send out, or receive, greeting cards?

When you send out cards, do you simply sign the card or include a personal message? If you include a message, is it personal or generic?

When you receive cards, are you sometimes disappointed in the card because there is no meaningful message (or perhaps a gift)?

I have not sent out cards in a while, because I usually email or text people and I put the same message there. I usually only appreciate cards when there is a meaningful message. Growing up, I used to get birthday and Christmas cards from close family and sometimes a friend and I still keep them. However, over time I have not received meaningful cards (or sent out cards). Some cards I receive just have a signature, and while I am glad they thought of me to send a card I usually throw them away. I find these cards no different than the generic cards from the doctor's office or year-end cards from other establishments that come in the mail.

Great thread as always, @MsMediator.

I don't know how many followed this tradition, but when I was growing up, it seemed to be some kind of gracious expectation that people would send out Christmas cards with an annual "Christmas letter" -- usually a page or two of updates on how everyone in the family was doing. I've always loved written correspondence and started participating in it since the time I could write sentences, so when I was old enough, my Mom had me proofread her Christmas letters every year. (Please excuse all the typos now I make on the forum -- these days my brain seems to proofread things as they are in my head, not the way I've actually written them.)

My Mom didn't like writing letters but it was a tradition, so she upheld that with faraway friends and family for many decades -- and I followed her lead. These days I wish I would have insisted on keeping a copy of each of her yearly letters for myself.

As a big fan of exchanging letters and the power of conveying everyday life stories in written words, nothing was more disappointing to me than getting cards with only a name signed, or letters that were maybe 3 or 4 sentences. Therefore, I always tried to make sure to include some kind of story in my letters, no matter how mundane, but to hopefully embellish each with a little humor.

Now sure, I'm well aware that this might bore some to tears, but that's what I love about writing -- if you're on the phone with someone, you're pretty much trapped -- but with writing, you can choose to talk away at any time. If someone reads something I wrote, it makes me happy to know they chose to take their own time to do so.

The first time I went to a meet a small group (about 6) of CC members in person was around 2015; CC also had live chats then, so I knew a lot of faraway people. That year I sent out something like 66 Christmas cards. I printed out a traditional annual Christmas letter to send with each card, about 2 typed pages, then signed and hand-wrote an additional note specifically tailored to each person and their situation.

Yes, it took a while. I remember having them all laid out in rows on the living room floor to stay organized. But to me, it was pure joy and something I genuinely loved doing. I felt like I was wrapping gifts for people. Sometimes, there would be a yearly picture as well. However, I also realize that most people don't have the time or will to write something or much of anything back, so over the years, I lost touch with a lot of people.

These days I don't send Christmas cards but I do send handwritten letters to certain people at least a few times a year.

I miss the days of snail mail and old-fashioned pen pals, but when I've looked for modern online pen pal communities online, they all seem to be groups I wouldn't fit into (either very young, only interested in gifts, or those looking to write to fellow moms and Grandma's.)

The other problem I find is that cards and stamps are SO expensive -- nearly $10 for a card, unless you get generic boxed ones which are still pretty pricey, and stamps are nearly $1 a piece... These days I just buy colored paper and stickers and use that instead.

I would love to get back into old-fashioned penpallin, but it's hard to meet anyone you can trust to get to know, and even I have to admit that it's hard to beat online speed and convenience.
 
I do. Last Christmas I sent out 5 Christmas cards. This can vary though, one year I only sent one card.
There are 2 ladies out of state (Georgia and Alabama) that I send birthday cards to and they send birthday cards to me.
I've exchanged greeting cards on Valentine's Day, if I'm involved with someone.
I have sent Easter cards and Thanksgiving cards, but I haven't a few years.
I've even done 4th of July, Halloween, etc. cards. But, those are rare.
And many times, I've sent thank you cards and cards just to say "Thinking of you." Postcards too, if I'm somewhere interesting and I feel like sending a close friend a postcard. Oh, and I also send sympathy and get well cards.

It all depends on how close I am to the person as to whether I put a lengthy/meaningful handwritten note in with the card. Otherwise, I write a short and sweet note.

I no longer have anyone that I'm close to living in the same state as me. Thus, greeting cards, online messaging, phone calls (actually, I currently only talk on the phone with one person), and other long distance communication is necessary.

I didn't realize how much of a greeting card person I am until your thread :unsure::eek:


It can be heart-warming to see how something seemingly so small can mean so very much.

I have a set of "letter boxes" (really just glorified shoe boxes,) and I go through them every couple of years. I was reading one from a lifetime ago about the time I came over to "help" a friend and her kids make a gingerbread house. It was just one catastrophe after the other.

Our first issue was that we couldn't get the walls to stand up -- they kept falling over no matter how hard we tried. After about the 3rd attempt, we FINALLY got the walls standing -- but the kids slapped ALL the candy on ONE side of the roof (picture a gingerbread house with about 150 pieces of candy, ALL stuck to only one half of the roof) -- and the walls once again collapsed like trees that just heard the word, "TIMBER!!!"

And so, we were back to square one.

"Auntie Seoul," said the kids, trying so hard to be helpful, "Can we get you anything?"

"Yes," I answered, trying to salvage what I could -- "a bottle of Excedrin."

Their mother snorted -- and then we both burst out laughing so hard we we crying, literally picking up the pieces of this house in tears. :ROFL:

Memories like this are truly priceless -- and forever immortalized in the Christmas card and picture my friend sent me that year.
 
It can be heart-warming to see how something seemingly so small can mean so very much.

I have a set of "letter boxes" (really just glorified shoe boxes,) and I go through them every couple of years. I was reading one from a lifetime ago about the time I came over to "help" a friend and her kids make a gingerbread house. It was just one catastrophe after the other.

Our first issue was that we couldn't get the walls to stand up -- they kept falling over no matter how hard we tried. After about the 3rd attempt, we FINALLY got the walls standing -- but the kids slapped ALL the candy on ONE side of the roof (picture a gingerbread house with about 150 pieces of candy, ALL stuck to only one half of the roof) -- and the walls once again collapsed like trees that just heard the word, "TIMBER!!!"

And so, we were back to square one.

"Auntie Seoul," said the kids, trying so hard to be helpful, "Can we get you anything?"

"Yes," I answered, trying to salvage what I could -- "a bottle of Excedrin."

Their mother snorted -- and then we both burst out laughing so hard we we crying, literally picking up the pieces of this house in tears. :ROFL:

Memories like this are truly priceless -- and forever immortalized in the Christmas card and picture my friend sent me that year.

I have some "letter boxes" too. The one from my longest relationship is crammed full of memories. We met online and would send each other greeting cards before we met...and for a while after we met in person, until he stopped and so I stopped too lol. I was surprised one day when he plopped a box down in front of me and there were all the greeting cards and letters I'd sent him over the years.

After my father passed away, I was going through things and found greeting cards I had handmade him when I was a child and other things like that.

Neither one of these men were/are the type of man you'd think would keep sentimental things like that. Only when you are presented with the evidence or run into it, then you know and it makes the heart swell.

Anyway, I always think about making a gingerbread house and never get around to it. If I ever do, I'll be sure to have some aspirin nearby lol.

Beautiful story! <3
 
I loooove cards! I even got into making and selling them this year...though the selling part hasn't gone the way I hoped. But I digress...

I appreciate a card with a little note inside, it's just sweet and thoughtful. I don't think cards are sent out like they used to be though. It's a bit of a lost tradition. My family never sent out Christmas letters, but always sent out dozens of cards. Now, not so much. Stamps are too expensive, emails are quicker, people send virtual cards, and so on. But there's something special about receiving an envelope in the mail with your name hand written on the front of it and a lovely card inside of it. Someone took the time and money to think of you and put in the effort to send a greeting your way. I don't know, I think it's charming. :)

I'm a big fan of sending thank you cards out. Sometimes I'll do an email, but I'd much rather send a card. I don't know if people really send thank you cards out much anymore, but it's something I want to get better at and ensure I do more often.

I've kept most of the cards I've received, however, I have thrown out a ton of birthday cards from my parents because they always say the exact same thing, "Love and Lord bless, mom and dad." And it's usually from a card she found stuffed away in the closet lol. There's rarely a note or anything so I don't keep all of them...but I'm not totally heartless, there are some saved away in a box with other meaningful notes and tiny treasures. I think I also kept a card from my brother that I got when I turned 12 or 13, it didn't say anything other than his name, but he NEVER gives cards, so it was quite a special occasion lol. I also have kept all the cards (and little gifts) my former students gave me. (I taught dance for years.) They didn't always have a note in them, just their name, but I think it's so sweet and I'm way too sentimental to throw them away.
 
Thanks all, I really enjoyed reading all your posts. I am thinking of sending cards this year, and looking forward to it as I haven't done it in awhile. I would definitely get the boxed set. I also read if you don't want to write a lot, get the small/mini cards which I think are cute.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Elizabeth35