Church Attendance

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

NightTwister

Jul 5, 2023
Colorado, USA
I'm interested in hearing about church attendance since Covid "ended", and whether nor not numbers have returned to normal. It's my contention that virtual church has replaced in-person church for many, and the primary reason is churches went fully virtual and promoted it as equal.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
I'm interested in hearing about church attendance since Covid "ended", and whether nor not numbers have returned to normal. It's my contention that virtual church has replaced in-person church for many, and the primary reason is churches went fully virtual and promoted it as equal.
Our church never closed down and has grown since the beginning of covid. The sermons are live on Facebook and saved on other media sites, but no one stayed home unless they were sick like normal.

resto

Feb 25, 2019
I only know about Yuma Arizona. I saw most Churches didnt come back to Pre Covid Attendance Numbers here. However there are 2 Churches that have Doubled their Attendance numbers. one was at 300 now at 600+. Mainly because they are reaching out to the lost. I witnessed two Baptisms per service at 2 services on Sunday. They have Revival. The other one doubled because of programs, I think they Proselytized from other Churches here. There is a lot of Church Hopping going on here. Splits too.

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
I like virtual attendance but I think it is still important to meet up with church members other ways. It can be difficult to wake up early/dress up on Sunday mornings.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Realistically speaking as one of the "guys in the booth" at a 1.5K+ attendance every Sunday church.
Streaming church services is usually a huge waste of money. I mean really huge waste.
I could see the exact locations of the 3-5 households watching the services. That's it. 3 up to 5 people would watch live. Maybe a couple more on YouTube. Even now years later there's only like a dozen or so viewers total for most services.

Nobody really uses it despite the claims and the tens of thousands of dollars spent making the content and uploading it by each church that does so.

That's the truth.

So....
Covid is NOT over....it's never going to be over. NEVER. You are taking a risk every time you go to Church. Because many in the membership simply don't care or think about it. Most in attendance (elderly geriatric) are immune compromised and yet people still go with influenza or Covid-19 or RSV and usually kill somebody with their spreading of whatever viral infection they or their children have...

Some churches are growing. Especially the ones not promoting politics or political discussions. The others? Not so much. YMMV.

I had to visit a LOT of churches over the course of months and finally found one that has good potential being our home.

Is what it is....huge difference between what people think is church vx what is church. I don't understand how or why things got this way. Preachers losing their passion, Congregations more concerned about anything other than the reason for assembly. (List is long)

So....
You came here to teach and preach that people should not bother going to church eh? Isn't that in direct conflict with scriptures?

NightTwister

Jul 5, 2023
Colorado, USA
So....
You came here to teach and preach that people should not bother going to church eh? Isn't that in direct conflict with scriptures?
Why would you bear false witness against me? I was simply asking a question and making an observation.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
We did not shut down at all. We met outside for a few weeks, then returned inside with social distancing and masks for a few more weeks, then to normal services. We suspended our community contact ministries for a year.

Our attendance declined for almost two years, and is slowly returning to normal. We lost a few members to covid19. All but one of them were over 65. We still have a couple of seniors who haven't returned.

Many of our members are education professionals and leave the area for the summer.

We are currently in a leadership change, and that has slowed our return to normal.

Inflation has put a bite on our income, and has raised our routine expenses, but God continues to provide enough to keep us going, and to help us reach our community for Christ.

I don't know about other members, but my prayer time has and continues to increase.

3angelsmsg

Mar 1, 2018
Hi @NightTwister Our church is back to normal. I think there is no substitution for in-person worship. Watching online is not for me. How do you connect with others.

NightTwister

Jul 5, 2023
Colorado, USA
Hi @NightTwister Our church is back to normal. I think there is no substitution for in-person worship. Watching online is not for me. How do you connect with others.
We moved during Covid and all of the churches here shut down all in-person services. We've been looking but haven't found a fit quite yet. I connect regularly with my former pastor in California.

3angelsmsg

Mar 1, 2018
We moved during Covid and all of the churches here shut down all in-person services. We've been looking but haven't found a fit quite yet. I connect regularly with my former pastor in California.
That is lovely. I have devotional group which pray, sing together every evening and its so encouraging. I am sure, you are searching for church community that has that family kind of feeling. We are very small congregation but I love it.

Aussie52

Aug 31, 2022
My Church lost quite a few people when it was forced to close due to Covid. We are slowly building back numbers.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I never missed a church service in my life. until COVID
! I went 40 years unless I had pneumonia. I participated in worship, Christian Education and preaching. When COVID came, churches were shut down. So we did our service on zoom. The sermons il were recorded, and the music; the quality wasn’t there. Then, we were allowed to open the church with 1/2 our numbers, spaced seating. I stayed home for that. Then I got severe COVID, after showing my vax card in a restaurant. I ended up with COVID pneumonia, but monoclonal antibodies fixed my lungs. I slept 22 hours a day for 3 weeks. Then, over the months, down to 20 hours, 18, 16, 14 &12. I sleep 10 hours now, I’ve improved a lot. It took me about 1 1/2 years to recover from COVID. I’m very immuno-compromised. I’m in one of the strongest biologics there are for my RA. It has some minor side effects, but I’m better than I’ve been in 8 years.

But, during that whole time I was sick, not one person in the church ever phoned me. After 8 years attending and contributions. No one asked how I was doing. Sometimes someone would ask my husband how I was doing, but not one person asked me. I wasn’t a person who hid in the back, either. I made it my business to get to know people. I stood up front on the podium singing, playing flute, and preaching. So, either no one liked me enough to call, or no one likes anyone but their friends, or no one wants me back. I’ve been back 2 times. People said hello, but no one invited us over, or out to lunch.

So, I don’t want to go back to church. Well, that church, or any church. I need to stay healthy. My lungs improved over COVID. Because I never saw anyone. Never got a cold turning into bronchitis, turning into pneumonia. Not for 2 years. My lungs also dried out, making them less infectious.

I had one friend who would have phoned me. But she got Rheumatoid Lung Disease just before COVID and they couldn’t get it under control. She died in 2021. But, what’s the point of attending a church where people smile. But they don’t want to be involved? I’m not bitter, but I just feel I don’t belong there. And, I’m going to be 70 this year. I have a very compromised immune system. It’s probably better for me to stay home. Besides, our pastor believes in open theology. It’s so obvious he doesn’t believe traditional Christian doctrine. So, I don’t want to hear his sermons. Although another person on the team is worth hearing!

I still read my Bible daily. I pray, I witness in Internet forums. I lead a large RA forum on FB. So, I’m doing Ministry, continuing to know& love God more. But, I don’t think I’ll ever go back to that church. Or any. I because I have to keep my health.

Aug 8, 2023
I was never a churchgoer before or after covid because I was never able to find a church I felt comfortable in, more's the pity..

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
I never missed a church service in my life. until COVID
! I went 40 years unless I had pneumonia. I participated in worship, Christian Education and preaching. When COVID came, churches were shut down. So we did our service on zoom. The sermons il were recorded, and the music; the quality wasn’t there. Then, we were allowed to open the church with 1/2 our numbers, spaced seating. I stayed home for that. Then I got severe COVID, after showing my vax card in a restaurant. I ended up with COVID pneumonia, but monoclonal antibodies fixed my lungs. I slept 22 hours a day for 3 weeks. Then, over the months, down to 20 hours, 18, 16, 14 &12. I sleep 10 hours now, I’ve improved a lot. It took me about 1 1/2 years to recover from COVID. I’m very immuno-compromised. I’m in one of the strongest biologics there are for my RA. It has some minor side effects, but I’m better than I’ve been in 8 years.

But, during that whole time I was sick, not one person in the church ever phoned me. After 8 years attending and contributions. No one asked how I was doing. Sometimes someone would ask my husband how I was doing, but not one person asked me. I wasn’t a person who hid in the back, either. I made it my business to get to know people. I stood up front on the podium singing, playing flute, and preaching. So, either no one liked me enough to call, or no one likes anyone but their friends, or no one wants me back. I’ve been back 2 times. People said hello, but no one invited us over, or out to lunch.

So, I don’t want to go back to church. Well, that church, or any church. I need to stay healthy. My lungs improved over COVID. Because I never saw anyone. Never got a cold turning into bronchitis, turning into pneumonia. Not for 2 years. My lungs also dried out, making them less infectious.

I had one friend who would have phoned me. But she got Rheumatoid Lung Disease just before COVID and they couldn’t get it under control. She died in 2021. But, what’s the point of attending a church where people smile. But they don’t want to be involved? I’m not bitter, but I just feel I don’t belong there. And, I’m going to be 70 this year. I have a very compromised immune system. It’s probably better for me to stay home. Besides, our pastor believes in open theology. It’s so obvious he doesn’t believe traditional Christian doctrine. So, I don’t want to hear his sermons. Although another person on the team is worth hearing!

I still read my Bible daily. I pray, I witness in Internet forums. I lead a large RA forum on FB. So, I’m doing Ministry, continuing to know& love God more. But, I don’t think I’ll ever go back to that church. Or any. I because I have to keep my health.
Finding a new Church is a pain....tell me about it. Had to visit many before I found one I like.

And I had a meeting/dinner with one of the pastoral staff...I was suggesting several programs and things that would be "team building" exercises....he was VERY on board. So I think it's going to require one of us older, mature Christians to get things back to some semblance of normality.

Aug 8, 2023
Some years ago my christian pals kept trying to introduce me to various local churches but I always walked out early, and at one place I walked out even before the service had even begun..:)
In fact i got such a reputation that my pals used to bet among themselves how many minutes it'd be before I walked, and as soon as I got up and began making my way to the door I could hear them chuckling and saying "There he goes"..:)

Aug 8, 2023
Another local church were hosting an 'Alpha Course', but as soon as I walked in with my chums I decided i didn't like the vibes, so i u-turned and walked straight back out.
As I made my way down the street one of the group leaders came hurrying after me shouting "Wait, please come back'", it was like trying to escape from Colditz, but I was able to shake him off down a side street and made a home run..:)