Church boards

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 21, 2019
Yea but whos going to trash someones home if its a church meeting, and as christians why would anyone sue anyone else if all of you are believers wouldnt you let God be the judge and sort it out?
Do you believe that all who go to church are truly Christ's disciples? I see many people who claim to be, but do not remind me of Jesus.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
In the USA (I'm not sure where others are from) Churches are legal entities that must register with the state for tax purposes, and so the state can know who is legally authorized to marry people, etc.

Churches often select a 'board', rather than a single person to make decisions. I'm not entirely sure why, but I'm guessing it is to assure someone is still around to conduct church business if the main person is incapacitated. Another reason would be to spread the legal responsibilities on more than one person't shoulders. Another reason would be so one person doesn't hold ALL the power and decision-making ability.

Term length and gender rules would be set up in the by-laws (rules that govern the church itself) that were decided upon at the formation of that church.

Number of board members and process for becoming one would also be designated in the by-laws.

Not sure if that's helpful, but that's my take on it.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby
meeting of elders were common among Jewish People back then.

Job 29:7
“Those were the days when I went to the city gate and sat in the public meeting of the elders.

Acts 15:6 Then the apostles and the elders gathered to study this problem.

Acts 16:4 Then Paul and those with him traveled through other cities. They gave the believers the rules and decisions from the apostles and elders in Jerusalem. They told them to obey these rules.

Acts 21:18 The next day Paul went with us to visit James, and all the elders were there.

1 Timothy 5:17 [ More About Elders and Other Matters ] The elders who lead the church in a good way should receive double honor—in particular, those who do the work of counseling and teaching.

1 Peter 5:5 Young people, I have something to say to you too. You should accept the authority of the elders. You should all have a humble attitude in dealing with each other. “God is against the proud, but he is kind to the humble.”

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Do you believe that all who go to church are truly Christ's disciples? I see many people who claim to be, but do not remind me of Jesus.
What kind of church do you go to, and is it preaching the gospel, unbelievers will flock to a church thats watered down, they'll be put off by any that truly represents Jesus. Of course. There will always be children that havent yet come to faith, but even they know not to trash the church that their parents go to.

I would think...!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
meeting of elders were common among Jewish People back then.

Job 29:7
“Those were the days when I went to the city gate and sat in the public meeting of the elders.

Acts 15:6 Then the apostles and the elders gathered to study this problem.

Acts 16:4 Then Paul and those with him traveled through other cities. They gave the believers the rules and decisions from the apostles and elders in Jerusalem. They told them to obey these rules.

Acts 21:18 The next day Paul went with us to visit James, and all the elders were there.

1 Timothy 5:17 [ More About Elders and Other Matters ] The elders who lead the church in a good way should receive double honor—in particular, those who do the work of counseling and teaching.

1 Peter 5:5 Young people, I have something to say to you too. You should accept the authority of the elders. You should all have a humble attitude in dealing with each other. “God is against the proud, but he is kind to the humble.”
I know elders are biblical its just church board is that the same thing as elders or is it something else. Theres even elders in heaven...24 of them. Yet some people on church boards arent even elders.

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
I don't know I was a treasurer at church once. I didn't want to be, but they said I was a member of the church and I needed to be involved.

All I know is that we all got together and voted on what was needed at church, what to spend money on, and things like that. Most of the time it turned into debates so I really didn't enjoy it at all.

Oh and I'm not an elder and there were some other people my age and younger on the board as well.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I don't know I was a treasurer at church once. I didn't want to be, but they said I was a member of the church and I needed to be involved.

All I know is that we all got together and voted on what was needed at church, what to spend money on, and things like that. Most of the time it turned into debates so I really didn't enjoy it at all.

Oh and I'm not an elder and there were some other people my age and younger on the board as well.
What did you spend money on, just out of curiousity. Was this to spend for the poor in the church, or was it just things like toilet paper, and I dont know...a photocopier to print church newsletters or stuff like that.

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
It was for everything that the Church needed from toilet paper to new drums, guitars, speakers, carpet, etc and also for the poor.

We didn't have a meeting for utility bills and toliet paper and such, but all other money going out of the church had to be voted on and approved by the committee.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
What if people just gave you drums and speakers and toilet paper so you didnt need to spend any money. Would that need to be approved as well?

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
What if people just gave you drums and speakers and toilet paper so you didnt need to spend any money. Would that need to be approved as well?
Not that I know of. Never had a meeting on whether to accept donations or not....Not while I was there anyhow?

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
Now if someone gave the church some drums or toliet paper, etc. and some people were wanting to buy more, then that is where a meeting would come in to see why more was needed, and that is where the meetings could get heated.

Some people wanted to spend a lot of money on equipment and buy the best of whatever and then others wanted to spend more money on the community events or help the poor so it all had to be approved.

I couldn't and wouldn't sign a check to be used for anything unless the amount had been approved by the committee. So I heard all the complaints over the smallest of things....Like why can't we buy the biggest speakers in town...even though we just bought some a couple of months ago and there are also starving folks right down the road, but we really need those big expensive speakers...I eventually quit because it made me think negative of some members.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Now if someone gave the church some drums or toliet paper, etc. and some people were wanting to buy more, then that is where a meeting would come in to see why more was needed, and that is where the meetings could get heated.

Some people wanted to spend a lot of money on equipment and buy the best of whatever and then others wanted to spend more money on the community events or help the poor so it all had to be approved.

I couldn't and wouldn't sign a check to be used for anything unless the amount had been approved by the committee. So I heard all the complaints over the smallest of things....Like why can't we buy the biggest speakers in town...even though we just bought some a couple of months ago and there are also starving folks right down the road, but we really need those big expensive speakers...I eventually quit because it made me think negative of some members.
Oh dear...well, if you buy cheap equipment and it breaks it would not be good.
But then it shouldnt be at the expense of others who need food.

However...you can grow food you dont need to buy it with money.
As for speakers well. I guess its important that people can hear the word of God easily, but think back to those days before microphones and audio tech were invented, how did anyone hear the gospel? jesus just spoke on the mount without any speakers or mics at all. And if its singing, why not just sing louder. Most music sound can sound just as good unplugged.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
There are genuine Christians and there are "nominal" Christians who attend church. There are genuine believers and there are make believers.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
It would be interesting to see if a church could get by on a zero budget. No expenses at all. Rent free, mortgage free, free water, solar power or use candles, make own communion wine, bake own bread, compost toilet, unplugged music, everything donated. Everything gifted, nothing bought.

Mar 21, 2019
It would be interesting to see if a church could get by on a zero budget. No expenses at all. Rent free, mortgage free, free water, solar power or use candles, make own communion wine, bake own bread, compost toilet, unplugged music, everything donated. Everything gifted, nothing bought.
The government wouldn't like it. They try to shut such churches down, as they are a threat (to the gates of Hell).

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019

Your experience is "introduction to modern church politics ."
---
I have been in "church board" - in several churches.

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
Your suggestion/idea might not work.
- In modern church system.

Mar 21, 2019
Your suggestion/idea might not work.
- In modern church system.
Moreso in the modern government system (and the homage many Christians seem to think they should pay to governments). In the church system by itself, I think it would work fine.

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
"Modern" Church "System"
---
I also have been in the church ( house church type )
where the "idea of Lanolin" was practiced.
- I do not include "house church" in modern church system.
----
But even "house church" can become another church system!
Because people like system/establishment.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
"Modern" Church "System"
---
I also have been in the church ( house church type )
where the "idea of Lanolin" was practiced.
- I do not include "house church" in modern church system.
----
But even "house church" can become another church system!
Because people like system/establishment.
If they going to go all the way with systems, why not put network diagrams up on the noticeboard that everyone can follow.

If they want to be systematic. Or must we all read 'systematic theology' which ive heard is even longer and even more pages than the Bible itself.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
i've heard this as a definition of a church board meeting:

"a group of people taking hours to write minutes"