Church cults

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
New age thinking has crept into the church so all saints be warned and warn against it.
That positive energy thing. Only associate with positive people, positive thinking.
Be aware it's in a lot of sermons lately,
Yeah, I was a New Ager myself, although we didnt call it New Age. All about drawing energy from nature and the universe. Integrated many different philosophies and religions. No foundation of real truth.

I see this no foundation of real truth among many churches that dont believe the bible is Gods Word. They integrate all kinds of different things and usually the sermon is topical rather than scriptural.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
this is the definition of the word cult I am thinking of

3a a quasi-religious organization using devious psychological techniques to gain control and adherents

so the Peoples temple as an example of this...Jones would fake healings where he planted members to demonstrate being 'healed' and use chicken guts and claim they were cancerous tumours people had coughed up

He would also eavesdrop on people so when they were called out from his pulpit he would tell them stuff that they thought he had no way of knowing

and his close inner circle he would sleep with (and he actually fathered a child with one of his married members) and they thought they gained his favour when he slept with them..despite him being married as well

P

pottersclay

Yeah, I was a New Ager myself, although we didnt call it New Age. All about drawing energy from nature and the universe. Integrated many different philosophies and religions. No foundation of real truth.

I see this no foundation of real truth among many churches that dont believe the bible is Gods Word. They integrate all kinds of different things and usually the sermon is topical rather than scriptural.
I just had a conversation about this with my niece, she's a social media nut
plus has a business. She post these positive thoughts things with good intentions but one day I couldn't hold back anymore.
After scrolling through the comments I saw that Faith was replaced with positive thinking.
She's a new babe in Christ and thought it to be the same difference. I pray she heeds my advice.
I find this lie all through the language these days.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Any religious organization or group can be a cult... even your local Methodist church.

And it all depends on what the leadership promotes.

Sure some groups like Jonestown have a Kool Aide ending...it isn't much different than the antivaxxers ending currently coming our way.

Churches have been notorious for focusing on anything and everything else other than the message of the scriptures. Sure the pastor is great at telling you what he thinks it says with a morality based sermon but when was the last time he taught you how to research it for yourself?

Cults don't promote independent thought. They want "group think".

Sure most churches have people of the similar mindset...but independent, critical thinking skills usually come to similar conclusions. That's not happening much these days. (Go figure)

So...if you want to listen to those that tell you what to think versus those who teach you how to recognize truth... you will likely become a cult member.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
How can you tell if a church group has become a cult?

Just wondering. Any survivors want to tell their tale.

I was reading about Jim Jones and the Peoples Temple. That was some scary cult. And it had the veeneer of christianity. Jones was definitly a wolf in sheeps clothing.

For those that had no idea just google Peoples Temple, Guyana, mass suicide.

EEk.
The congregation drank the Kool Aid.

CS1

May 23, 2012
the context of a cult must be formed from a Christian world view and there are basically two types.

Theological Cults like LDS, JW's, SDA, Unitarian, and Islam, and I think the RCC also.

those of extreme: Satanism, the family( Charles Manson), the people's temple (Jim Jones), and many others.

Some call anything a cult one disagrees with theologically, this is not the case. The word of God is clear we are to hold to the gospel that was preached to us of that The death, Burial, and Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Anyone who denies's those foundational truths that: Jesus was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, suffered a sinner punishment, died a physical death, and Risen on the Third day who IS God the second Person in the Trinity, anyone who denies this;

IS a spirit of antichrist. Anyone who teaches that the Lord Jesus is not the only way, the Only truth, and the only Life RUN as fast as you can and get into a Bible Believing Church that holds to these dearly.

Any church no matter if it is named Penacostel, Baptist, interdenominational, non-denominational, or independent. IF they teach that Jesus Christ is not the only way Run.
If they teach the bible contains the word of God over IT IS the word of God, run.
If they teach the devil and hell is a symbolic or metaphorical and not literal place of eternal punishment, RUN
IF they say to you "Thus saith the Lord " and it is not even verifiable by the very word of God, or you have not been prompted by the Holy Spirit it is not from God don't except it pray ask God and run.
If the church has become part of the Woke Movement and supports the LGBTQ and attack you because you call sin, sin as the Word Of God does, run.

IF you are in California and you are voting NOT to recall the Governor of California today and complain about the crime, homelessness, and fires and high cost of food and gas, and poor educational system, then move not to live under what you voted for, you are a coward and a snowflake.

BonnieClaire

Jul 1, 2021
IF you are in California and you are voting NOT to recall the Governor of California today and complain about the crime, homelessness, and fires and high cost of food and gas, and poor educational system, then move not to live under what you voted for, you are a coward and a snowflake.
You mean that satanic little dictator Gruesome Newsom?

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
this is the definition of the word cult I am thinking of

3a a quasi-religious organization using devious psychological techniques to gain control and adherents

so the Peoples temple as an example of this...Jones would fake healings where he planted members to demonstrate being 'healed' and use chicken guts and claim they were cancerous tumours people had coughed up

He would also eavesdrop on people so when they were called out from his pulpit he would tell them stuff that they thought he had no way of knowing

and his close inner circle he would sleep with (and he actually fathered a child with one of his married members) and they thought they gained his favour when he slept with them..despite him being married as well
Bethel Church in Redding, California, would then be a cult by this criteria. They fake all kinds of stuff to amaze and deceive: gold dust falling from the ceiling; clouds of glory; and feathers mysteriously appearing out of nowhere (angel feathers supposedly).

But what is different about modern groups like this is they don't really even have to produce anything, unlike Jones. All they have to do is claim supernatural power. And despite making false prophecies, not really healing anyone (faked or otherwise), and claiming to raise the dead despite a big fat O record of verifiable resurrections, people still lap it up. People today, especially young people seem to have very little critical thinking skills and will believe nearly anything.

But Bethel's not the only one. There's Kenneth Copeland for example. If you watch any recent videos of his "healing" services, no one is actually healed of anything! He just goes around the room touching people and supposedly this makes him a great healer. To me it's simply astounding the number of people taken in by this and by other ministries like Copeland's.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
There's a part in this video that shows an excellent example of New Age ideas that have been introduced into the church. It's part of a longer video, but the part I'm talking about starts at 29:02. It's in a Methodist church, but it reminds me more of something I remember from my days in Unity School of Christianity.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Bethel Church in Redding, California, would then be a cult by this criteria. They fake all kinds of stuff to amaze and deceive: gold dust falling from the ceiling; clouds of glory; and feathers mysteriously appearing out of nowhere (angel feathers supposedly).

But what is different about modern groups like this is they don't really even have to produce anything, unlike Jones. All they have to do is claim supernatural power. And despite making false prophecies, not really healing anyone (faked or otherwise), and claiming to raise the dead despite a big fat O record of verifiable resurrections, people still lap it up. People today, especially young people seem to have very little critical thinking skills and will believe nearly anything.

But Bethel's not the only one. There's Kenneth Copeland for example. If you watch any recent videos of his "healing" services, no one is actually healed of anything! He just goes around the room touching people and supposedly this makes him a great healer. To me it's simply astounding the number of people taken in by this and by other ministries like Copeland's.
isnt it the 'signs and wonders' church thing

versus the social club type churches where people just pretend..but they can just leave if they want to

I think the Bethel church ones make it hard to leave because the signs and wonders make it addictive, people chase after a lie. Theres also the fleecing the flock that goes on. You pay mega bucks to attend a supernatural ministry that supposedly gives special powers, but where exactly does that money go. The Holy Spirit cannot be sold, yet people try to merchandise

Peoples temple also sold images of Jim Jones that supposedly gave special protection if you bought it.

BTW it was not Kool-Aid, it was Flavor -Aid they used. Plus cyanide. The cyanide cost $8.37.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Haha why do a lot of cults seem to operate out of CALIFORNIA?!

Scientology, Bethel, Peoples Temple, the family...

Do they give special tax breaks for cults or something. Why doesnt anyone have the authority to shut them down.

questionable church leadership is in many churches, mostly tends to be a charismatic type leader who becomes very controlling, thinks he or she is God.

Mar 4, 2020
I would say a church might be a Christian cult if they are extremist about one or more non-essential points.

An example might be a diehard stance on not allowing musical instruments to accompany singing praises to God, believing musical instruments are evil and sinful.

Another example is the pre-tribulation rapture if it is preached militantly and excessively.

Last example I've witnessed is that churches who place too much emphasis on dressing up in your "Sunday's best" could be a red flag. I've heard it said that God is expecting the best dress from people on Sunday, but in reality God weighs the heart of individual people, not the clothes they wear. If people can't understand this I think it's possibly a sign of a cult of extreme legalism.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
How can you tell if a church group has become a cult?
There are some very clear red flags which can tell you if a group has become a cult.
1. A charismatic "glorious" leader who seeks to control the group.
2. False teachings galore.
3. Indoctrination to the max.
4. No tolerance of dissent or critical thinking.
5. Some kind of promise about a supernatural event.
6. Isolation of followers from family and friends.
7. Adherents simply parrot what is being taught.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Haha why do a lot of cults seem to operate out of CALIFORNIA?!
California is a primary stronghold of Satan. Every kind of deviance, corruption, lawlessness and craziness seems to arise from that state. A very beautiful state has become thoroughly evil.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
LOL. . .if that's the case, there are a whole lot of cults out there.
wasnt that like the SDAs or was it JWS who said the rapture happened in 1898 or something and. they all went out on a hill waiting for Jesus to take them but it didnt happen? Then they called it 'The Great Disappointment'. And everyone had sold up everything so they didnt even have homes to go back to.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
wasnt that like the SDAs or was it JWS who said the rapture happened in 1898 or something and. they all went out on a hill waiting for Jesus to take them but it didnt happen? Then they called it 'The Great Disappointment'. And everyone had sold up everything so they didnt even have homes to go back to.
That was the Millerites. If I remember correctly, both SDAs and JWs were birthed out of the Millerites. It's been awhile since I studied that so I might be off a bit.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
That was the Millerites. If I remember correctly, both SDAs and JWs were birthed out of the Millerites. It's been awhile since I studied that so I might be off a bit.
Just the SDA...JWs came from elsewhere. (California)

Mar 4, 2020
LOL. . .if that's the case, there are a whole lot of cults out there.
In my view, just needs to be any extreme stance on a non-essential, or tertiary, doctrine. It's one thing to believe in something like pre-tribulationism, it's another thing to start preaching people are going to hell for not accepting their theology. Yes, some pre-trib theologians do use fear and coercion to force acceptance of the doctrine.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Just the SDA...JWs came from elsewhere. (California)
"About 1870, [Charles Taze, JW founder] Russell and his father established a group with a number of acquaintances to undertake an analytical study of the Bible and the origins of Christian doctrine, creed, and tradition. The group, strongly influenced by the writings of Millerite Adventist ministers George Storrs and George Stetson, who were also frequent attendees, concluded that many of the primary doctrines of the established churches, including the Trinity, hellfire, and inherent immortality of the soul, were not substantiated by the scriptures."—Wikipedia, "Charles Taze Russell"​

I remember reading that in a book also. The JWs followed in Miller's footsteps of date setting. JWs have set so many dates it's impossible to keep up with them.