Church hopping

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
When I was in the Airforce, I called different churches asking to interview the Pastor and up to six attenders at a meeting with them, usually over dinner. I complied a list of questions to ask. Some news papers had a religious section back then, so I sent a letter to the editor asking if they would post a tell me about your church with my address. Most required the letters go through them so they could study the letters too.
Thats a good idea or you could just visit and see what their services are like, although in some churches they say is anyone visiting and then they descend on you with gifts.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Maybe the problem is that churches don’t share and support each other like they should.

In my city the churches happily band together to put on and support events. There is also a city wide church leaders group and other things. So it’s not unusual to be in my home church and get invited to other church events etc.

The churches also club together in ministry, food banks, street angels, teen challenge, kidz club and much much more.

That way you have your home church but can support other church events too without any issues. It’s actively encouraged.
My town is having a combined church service to celebrate 175 years of being a town, but unfortunately..I, going to be out of town that weekend! Arrgh. When it originally started i think there were at least three different churches established. If I did a count of all the churchs in town it would be at least a dozen in the main township. Not counting all the home groups meeting in peoples homes.

In one street there are two churches next door to each other and I always wonder if people living near by alternate sundays or if they are rivals and dont even talk to each other lol. The home church or shall i say first church I attended for a length of time always prays for other churches in the area. They need to collaborate because so many ministries from other churches help out with things like workshops, bible in Schools, prison ministry, resthomes etc. one church cant do it all.

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
Go where God leads... if you feel inclined to visit another church pray about it.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Make a list of what you want in a church. Call the Pastor or Priest and make an appointment to talk with them.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I personally think that it helps to try and find a “home church” for stability and the ability to get to know and establish a church family. Somewhere you can get support as well as encourage others.

I have been in the same church my entire life, currently 28, so I’m kind of an outlier I guess.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Make a list of what you want in a church. Call the Pastor or Priest and make an appointment to talk with them.
Good idea...have to really think about it though, how long should this list be......?!

Are we meant to be fussy about churches or just go to the nearest one where ever God leads you.
How do you really know which onee to stay in anyway, if none of your blood family ever goes to any. You'll always be the odd one out as noone of your family goes. No aunties, no uncles, cousins, grandparents, parents, brothers or sisters, and of course it goes without saying, if you single you are not married to anyone. So you might as well go to as many as you are able.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
List of what I want in a church

Good fellowship
Good food
Good friends who look out for each other and pray for each other
Songs everyone can sing
Regular outings
Opportunities to minister
Good books
Not too far away, easy to get to
Recognises Jesus as the head of the church

Jun 12, 2020
Is it unfaithful to church hop? I mean go to different churches each week.
What do you think?

If people are married they usually go to just one church ( usually the one they got married in) forever. But us singles arent bound to anyone, and that may include churches.

Also there are many different churches esp if you live in a multicultural, diverse city like mine, you want to experience them all.
It's not wrong at all, especially if you need to marry. A different church might afford a better opportunity. It didn't work for me though as wherever I went, the single women didn't. At least not the ones without a boyfriend.

TamLynn

A heart at rest
Nov 27, 2014
It's not wrong at all, especially if you need to marry. A different church might afford a better opportunity. It didn't work for me though as wherever I went, the single women didn't. At least not the ones without a boyfriend.
What do you mean by "especially if you need to marry".
Are you saying that if you church hop you'll have more choices as far as potential spouses go?

Jun 12, 2020
What do you mean by "especially if you need to marry".
Are you saying that if you church hop you'll have more choices as far as potential spouses go?
Yes, that's what I'm saying. We are to attend a church but we have the choice of which one. If there are no single people in a particualar church, it is not unspiritual to go to one that might have more, or another and another. At least that's they way I saw it over the 30 years I was alone. Someone said that to me and it made sense.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Yes, that's what I'm saying. We are to attend a church but we have the choice of which one. If there are no single people in a particualar church, it is not unspiritual to go to one that might have more, or another and another. At least that's they way I saw it over the 30 years I was alone. Someone said that to me and it made sense.
The phrase "flirt to convert" comes to mind... :sneaky:

TamLynn

A heart at rest
Nov 27, 2014
I would hope if someone started attending a church faithfully and wanted to make it their "home" it would be for better reasons that what kind of marriage material was there. 🤔

Jun 12, 2020
I would hope if someone started attending a church faithfully and wanted to make it their "home" it would be for better reasons that what kind of marriage material was there. 🤔
I agree but a person can't sit around and complain about there not being any single people. Time to go somewhere else. I could serve in any church that would let me, but it is silly to stay in a church with no marriage prospects unless you are staying there while at the same time looking around and maybe going to a different church on the same day or a different church on Saturday night. That's all I'm saying. Be proactive.

TamLynn

A heart at rest
Nov 27, 2014
I agree but a person can't sit around and complain about there not being any single people. Time to go somewhere else. I could serve in any church that would let me, but it is silly to stay in a church with no marriage prospects unless you are staying there while at the same time looking around and maybe going to a different church on the same day or a different church on Saturday night. That's all I'm saying. Be proactive.

I guess this would be easier to do if you lived in a big city with lots of churches that preached the true word of God.
Oh...and you'd probably need a vehicle to get to them. Hehe

Jun 12, 2020
I guess this would be easier to do if you lived in a big city with lots of churches that preached the true word of God.
Oh...and you'd probably need a vehicle to get to them. Hehe
I am in a city of 250,000 so it's not reall big or small but one this was constant, single women were few and far between. Usually just the ones with boyfriends. As one single woman told me when I said hello to her "I'm not single, I have a boyfriend". It was in a singles class.

If I was attending the only true gospel church then of course, I'd have to stay there if there were no other options.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Im not loking to marry anybody I like being single.
sorry guys.
im going for the worship, not the men.

Jun 12, 2020
Im not loking to marry anybody I like being single.
sorry guys.
im going for the worship, not the men.
Are you saying that Christian women can't marry and worship God at the same time? I seem to sense a real black and white view from some people.

TamLynn

A heart at rest
Nov 27, 2014
Are you saying that Christian women can't marry and worship God at the same time? I seem to sense a real black and white view from some people.
I'm pretty sure that's not what shes saying.
What I think shes saying is that shes content...even very happy being single and that the men that attend the church aren't her concern.
She goes solely to worship the Lord.

Jun 12, 2020
Thank you for the clarification! Some here are displaying an all or nothing view of life.

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
Is it unfaithful to church hop? I mean go to different churches each week.
What do you think?

If people are married they usually go to just one church ( usually the one they got married in) forever. But us singles arent bound to anyone, and that may include churches.

Also there are many different churches esp if you live in a multicultural, diverse city like mine, you want to experience them all.

I think churches are very similar to school. All churches have a different teaching, whether or not they are completely Biblical or not, is up to each individual in a personal basis to determine.

I hopped many, many different churches, also went to a few Jewish Temple's as well. Really feel I have a much broader approach in faith, then say, someone who went to same church all their life. Must say, we can learn from them all, but we all need to be seeking the truth, and not comfort.

To be honest, I'm completely done with going to "church". It seems so religious. Maybe I will find others with an open mind, who just want to meet outside of church, and fellowship that way. Churches to me feel like a business, not a place of worship. That's just my opinion.