Church of Christ

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

eternally-gratefull

I've never heard of the Boston sect actually. Sounds alot liek a cult. I am not part of that.

I also want to mention(no this isnt aimed at you eternally) that this thread was not created to bash, condemn or even argue the Church of Christ or any other church.

I was simply asking if there were any others on this forum that attended the CoC.

Now, in saying that...Scott...I am sure you are in intelligent man, and I would love to continue our converstion on whether or not my beliefs are godly or not, but this is not the thread to do so. IF you want to create a thread on how you know more about my beliefs than I do then I will be happy to have a nice, friendly, witty, Christian debate.
lol I know sis. I was just trying to help by saying not all the COC says what people are claiming. And yes. The Boston cult (I think it has another name now) was one of the worse cults I have ever seen.

T

thimsrebma

The only COC that I know says this is the boston sect. They broke away from the mainstream, and made everyone who followed them get rebaptized, aand said if you did not go with them you were not going to heaven. They even told my wife back then that if she did nto leave me and join them she would go to hell..

Then again, I think all denominations have these sects that are evil. Not just the COC.
Well my family lives in Kansas City and thats what their particular church preaches as well.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
I am only bumping this thread becasue Megatron reminded me I made it.

Blame him for the CHurch of Christ invading this forum.

C

Consumed

Well the question the Church asks is "Was the marriage valid in the first place", and not "Did either party put enough effort into stopping a divorce". Marriage to us is a undissolvable bond between a man and a woman; once a person is validly married they are married "till death do us part". To us divorce, for any reason, is never justified.
Amen santosubio, there are alot of other Christians who believe the same way. Even if separated door is left open only to reconcile or til death frees the other person. Iv been called old fashion and out of touch with reality even by pastors for suggesting such a concept. Concept?? That made me laugh when it was said to me.

May 2, 2011
One of the earliest advocates of the return to New Testament Christianity, as a means of achieving unity of all believers in Christ, was James O'Kelly of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1793 he withdrew from the Baltimore conference of his church and called upon others to join him in taking the Bible as the only creed. His influence was largely felt in Virginia and North Carolina where history records that some seven thousand communicants followed his leadership toward a return to primitive New Testament Christianity.

In 1802 a similar movement among the Baptists in New England was led by Abner Jones and Elias Smith. They were concerned about "denominational names and creeds" and decided to wear only the name Christian, taking Bible as their only guide. In 1804, in the western frontier state of Kentucky, Barton W. Stone and several other Presbyterian preachers took similar action declaring that they would take the Bible as the "only sure guide to heaven." Thomas Campbell, and his illustrious son, Alexander Campbell, took similar steps in the year 1809 in what is now the state of West Virginia. They contended that nothing should be bound upon Christians as a matter of doctrine which is not as old as the New Testament. Although these four movements were completely independent in their beginnings eventually they became one strong restoration movement because of their common purpose and plea. These men did not advocate the starting of a new church, but rather a return to Christ's church as described in the Bible.
Members of the church of Christ do not conceive of themselves as a new church started near the beginning of the 19th century. Rather, the whole movement is designed to reproduce in contemporary times the church originally established on Pentecost, A.D. 30. The strength of the appeal lies in the restoration of Christ's original church
Many Churches of Christ are (rightly) promoting the John M. Hurt Bible Study series, eight
short lessons of about 6 pages each - They can be found all over the Internet:

* The Old Testament
* The New Testament
* Rightly Dividing the Word
* Faith and Works
* Becoming a Christian
* Acceptable Worship
* The New Testament Church
* YOU CAN BE JUST A CHRISTIAN

Reference (Link): -->> Correspondence Course

The true New Testament Church is a home church system with rotating or visiting
teachers, not a building, not Church of Christ Day Care.
This system does away with the
many disputes about how practices are performed in the various Churches of Christ.
A
true restoration church would also take it's cues for the Seventh Day Adventist
movement in terms of Lifestyle and Diet (not necessarily Saturday Sabbath or Ellen Gould
White)
Indeed, these two churches were founded at about the same time, The
Campbellites becoming the Church of Christ and the SDA formed from a variety of
concepts, Seventh Day Baptists, Miller, White et. al.

Like the Orthodox Church, too many Churches of Christ are flirting with disaster with the
Roman Catholic / Jesuit Churches
(where there are Jesuit Churches or Colleges in these
geographic locations). I agree that the idea of Mormon being in the Church of
Christ is out of place, but again, Joe Smith founded his church in the same location and
same time as both the SDA and The Church of Christ and there is a Davidian element in
each of these churches, so some may (wrongly) infer some connection. Note also the
presence of the Jesuit system in Upstate New York, amidst the founding locations of all
three of the SDA, CoC and LDS/Mormon Systems

I have come across many good (and some not so good) Bible Studies from various Church
of Christ web sites.

Some take issue with how Baptism and The Lord's Supper (communion) are perceived,
taught and practiced. I believe we are not to eat in the congregation, and in Believer's
Baptism only. As to Music, that is, instruments, I tend to agree with the CoC. All
subjects
for another thread.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Thakn you for your response Digital_Angel.

S

SantoSubito

Many Churches of Christ are (rightly) promoting the John M. Hurt Bible Study series, eight
short lessons of about 6 pages each - They can be found all over the Internet:

* The Old Testament
* The New Testament
* Rightly Dividing the Word
* Faith and Works
* Becoming a Christian
* Acceptable Worship
* The New Testament Church
* YOU CAN BE JUST A CHRISTIAN

Reference (Link): -->> Correspondence Course

The true New Testament Church is a home church system with rotating or visiting
teachers, not a building, not Church of Christ Day Care.
This system does away with the
many disputes about how practices are performed in the various Churches of Christ.
A
true restoration church would also take it's cues for the Seventh Day Adventist
movement in terms of Lifestyle and Diet (not necessarily Saturday Sabbath or Ellen Gould
White)
Indeed, these two churches were founded at about the same time, The
Campbellites becoming the Church of Christ and the SDA formed from a variety of
concepts, Seventh Day Baptists, Miller, White et. al.

Like the Orthodox Church, too many Churches of Christ are flirting with disaster with the
Roman Catholic / Jesuit Churches
(where there are Jesuit Churches or Colleges in these
geographic locations). I agree that the idea of Mormon being in the Church of
Christ is out of place, but again, Joe Smith founded his church in the same location and
same time as both the SDA and The Church of Christ and there is a Davidian element in
each of these churches, so some may (wrongly) infer some connection. Note also the
presence of the Jesuit system in Upstate New York, amidst the founding locations of all
three of the SDA, CoC and LDS/Mormon Systems

I have come across many good (and some not so good) Bible Studies from various Church
of Christ web sites.

Some take issue with how Baptism and The Lord's Supper (communion) are perceived,
taught and practiced. I believe we are not to eat in the congregation, and in Believer's
Baptism only. As to Music, that is, instruments, I tend to agree with the CoC. All
subjects
for another thread.
I'm curious how you think the Society of Jesus is a bad influence, I'm even seriously considering joining them myself (God's Marines you know).

That being said I think most Protestants have a bad image of the Jesuits because after their founding the Pope (because of their special vow) quickly put them into action combating Protestantism, and they played a large part in converting Latin America, and Parts of Asia and Africa.

May 21, 2009
I am just curious.

Is there anyone here that is/are members of the Church of Christ?
I am a member, and I just wondered who else was. Just trying to touch bases and get a feel of this forum is all.

OHHHHHHH!!! And to those who may think that the CoC thinks we are the only ones going to Heaven...well, some may think that way, but I dont. I am not one to judge others for not believing the same way I do. So I really, do not want this thread to turn in to a church bashing thread like I have seen some people do that Catholics. Thank you. Amen.

Not me.................

May 21, 2009
Put it this way, if I go to church Sunday and the minister tells me to play with snakes, drink poison, hand over all my money and so on....I will be looking for a different building to worship in. :)

I am talking about the mainstream Church of Christ. Not the elaborate branches that do strange stuff that I really dont want to know about

I've seen some of those shows with people playing with snakes. FREAKY!! to say the least.

May 21, 2009
Oh I knew some claws would come out.

You're right though.

Im my experience with debating if someone comes across defensive and hostile it is usually because they do not have the skills or knowledge to back it up.

Funny how all I said was Church of Christ and suddenly I was labeled.

Stereotypes....gotta love em.

Ha Ha! I been labeled all kinds of things and have never said I belong to any church.<smiles>

May 21, 2009
I don't go to your church but I like to talk.

May 2, 2011
I'm curious how you think the Society of Jesus is a bad influence, I'm even seriously considering joining them myself (God's Marines you know).

That being said I think most Protestants have a bad image of the Jesuits because after their founding the Pope (because of their special vow) quickly put them into action combating Protestantism, and they played a large part in converting Latin America, and Parts of Asia and Africa.
Hello SantoSubito, thank you for asking:

I would particularly reference the Jesuit Colleges and Universities, today most of whom
are BAAL worshipers given over to sports or music or secular society. Most graduates
have degrees in Accounting or Business or some other secular, non-ministerial
occupation. Some are Public School teachers, some are in Law or Medicine -- all industries
more than ministries. Most graduates then find themselves in a world where they seek
status or perfection in the material world, rather than the spiritual. These folks become a
source of funding to the Jesuit or Catholic System, merely propagating while corrupting.
Most of the Jesuits are gone, most has been corrupted, even so sayeth the Papacy.

Indeed, the Highest Ranking Catholic in the US was Cardinal Law of Boston. He was the
head of the Jesuit College of the Holy Cross outside of Boston. He was the head and
mastermind of the Catholic Jesuit abuse system -- so much so, that with imminent
indictments and prosecution at hand, he was exiled to Rome.
If we could apply RICO
statutes to the RCC and its agents, assigns and affiliate organizations (Jesuits, Opus Dei,
Knights of Columbus etc), we could purge the land of evil, and restore a nation to God, and
Jesus and righteousness.

S

SantoSubito

Hello SantoSubito, thank you for asking:

I would particularly reference the Jesuit Colleges and Universities, today most of whom
are BAAL worshipers given over to sports or music or secular society. Most graduates
have degrees in Accounting or Business or some other secular, non-ministerial
occupation. Some are Public School teachers, some are in Law or Medicine -- all industries
more than ministries. Most graduates then find themselves in a world where they seek
status or perfection in the material world, rather than the spiritual. These folks become a
source of funding to the Jesuit or Catholic System, merely propagating while corrupting.
Most of the Jesuits are gone, most has been corrupted, even so sayeth the Papacy.

A Jesuits college primary purpose is not to educate priests, we have seminaries for that (some of which are run by the Jesuits). Educating people to help them in life is part of the mission of the Jesuits as they are a teaching order.

If we could apply RICO
statutes to the RCC and its agents, assigns and affiliate organizations (Jesuits, Opus Dei,
Knights of Columbus etc), we could purge the land of evil, and restore a nation to God, and
Jesus and righteousness.
So let me get this straight. You want to throw out the Society of Jesus, The Work of God (or The Prelature of the Holy Cross, if you prefer), the Knights of Columbus, and by extension the entire Roman Catholic Church out of America. In effect producing the Catholic persecution that happened in England on American soil? Well the US could suppress Holy Church all it wanted, I for one would be happy to harbor Jesuits and other Catholic clerics so they could continue ministering and administering the Sacraments among the faithful.

May 2, 2011
A Jesuits college primary purpose is not to educate priests, we have seminaries for that (some of which are run by the Jesuits). Educating people to help them in life is part of the mission of the Jesuits as they are a teaching order.

So let me get this straight. You want to throw out the Society of Jesus, The Work of God (or The Prelature of the Holy Cross, if you prefer), the Knights of Columbus, and by extension the entire Roman Catholic Church out of America. In effect producing the Catholic persecution that happened in England on American soil? Well the US could suppress Holy Church all it wanted, I for one would be happy to harbor Jesuits and other Catholic clerics so they could continue ministering and administering the Sacraments among the faithful.

We should take this to another forum / thread to keep Elizabeth's "Church of Christ"
thread clean. The only relation is that some Jesuit communities have been planted (or
were already planted) in areas of major Church of Christ activity. The warning was, and
still is, that apart from a sound doctrinal statement, any church is likely to be gobbled up
by the RCC in time.

P.S. I know how to post links in a thread to other threads in the forum. I see the
"trackback" text box in the response area but do not know what it is. Does anyone know
how to link threads together, and what functions or features it provides? I may have to
check the FAQ's section later ...

S

SantoSubito

We should take this to another forum / thread to keep Elizabeth's "Church of Christ"
thread clean. The only relation is that some Jesuit communities have been planted (or
were already planted) in areas of major Church of Christ activity. The warning was, and
still is, that apart from a sound doctrinal statement, any church is likely to be gobbled up
by the RCC in time.

P.S. I know how to post links in a thread to other threads in the forum. I see the
"trackback" text box in the response area but do not know what it is. Does anyone know
how to link threads together, and what functions or features it provides? I may have to
check the FAQ's section later ...
I'll make this my last response on this thread until you open another one (if you decide to).

Well the Church of Christ in the US is primarily in the South and in recent years the number of Catholics in the South has been increasing due to immigration and other factors. Heck, the Benedictines just built a new monastery in Shawnee Oklahoma not 5 years ago.

Now if your talking about in Africa, the Jesuits have been there forever, before the Church of Christ was even founded as a movement. We are not the ones planting anything there, rather they are planting churches in areas the Jesuits and others have been in for centuries.

But I will be critical of one thing. Most Protestant missionaries tend to go to a country plant a church spend some time there and then leave the church to fend for itself. While Jesuit missions are completely financed, maintained, and staffed by the Society of Jesus.

J

Jesylene

hi...i'm a member of the Church of Christ,. :)our locale is here in the Philippines..:)

J

Jesylene

hi...i'm a member of the Church of Christ..our locale is here the Philippines..

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Why in the world was this cheesey thread bumped?

O

OFM

I am Rc Christian i am a 4th degree Knight now in the Knights of Columbus,e are a Charity Organization we serve all people all faiths all the time amen-eth..