Churches and Denominations?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
We are placed here to glorify God, to be a light in the darkness. We are not here to feel good and run for safety (maybe some are).

Israel refused to be that “light upon a hill” and looked what happened to them.

Bathe yourself in the Word, pray, grow, find a church that will feed and help grow you to maturity.

DustyRhodes

Dec 30, 2016
Our greatest priority in Christian life is to surrender
to God and become one with Him. As Paul said, we
need to become a new creation in Christ. Church is
a Sunday even but to be a Christian is a 24/7 life
style. Prayer is definitely very important, a daily life
of prayer really brings us closer to our Divine Father.
Yes we can listen to other people but at no time we
should be burdened by creeds and dogmas of a church.
Our authority should come directly from our intimate
relationship with God. Our prayer surely will take us
there. That connection is important. We don't need to
have our feet nailed to the floor. As is says in Isiah;
We shall run and not grow weary for our God will be
our strength, we will fly like the eagle, we will rise again.
Meditation on God's Holy Word is really essential.

P

pottersclay

Jesus said " my house is a house of prayer". We then start there. If we walk with Christ then we should act as he did and never fosake or leave. We are to point out the leaven, not just walk away as some do. If they refuse to hear you then are you justified in leaving.
So how strong are your convictions? Are you afraid of rebuke or just being wrong? Would you invite the opportunity to be corrected?

Deror

Mar 30, 2018
Hi Misskayanne - i can relate to your dilemma, haven’t had chance to read through the comments plus I’m in a rush but just wanted to say, please beware of Replacement theology - not sure if southern baptist believe that but it’s what jumped out to me. that error can really mess up our understanding of the Bible.. agreeing with others who recommend you studying the Word for yourself... audio bibles are awesome cos we can listen in the car, headphones while walking, running.. at the gym... or while cooking, cleaning etc... depends what Churches in your area too. I’d be glad to pray for you, for God’s guidance by His Word and His Holy Spirit.. argh I’m on 2% battery,, take good care and don’t worry,, Jesus is The Good Shepherd, grow in Grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ.. follow Him.. don’t be deceived.. It’s hard to find a good place but nothing is impossible with God.., Praise God for showing you about false teaching, gotta go 1% now. praying, God Bless you and lead you in the way Everlasting, Jesus Bless

Dec 12, 2013
AMEN.....I would rather attend a church with 2 or 3 people where the emphasis is upon the word of GOD and it being ripped from the pulpit......you know.....JESUS sat the people down (identified as a church twice in the present tense) and taught the word of God....he did not have a choir, 45 minute song service and or 5 specials before and or after the word of God was preached......the worship of GOD is in spirit and in truth....it is the preaching of the word that is the worship of GOD...the only time a song was sung was ONCE when they had taken the Lord's supper.....MANY will try and YANK Ephesians out of context to peddle a SONG service in church and that is simply not the case....it is individual instruction and the clauses given are proof of one that is continually filled with the spirit....SPEAKING to your self in PSALMS and HYMNS and singing in YOUR heart unto GOD.............

Paul said....PREACH the word, be instant IN season and out of season.....

and for those that will JUMP on the band wagon....I AM NOT SAYING that we should not sing truthful, worshipful songs unto the LORD, BUT I AM FOR SURE SAYING the emphasis in every church should be the unadulterated preaching of the word of GOD in ALL of it's glory.

FAITH comes by HEARING and HEARING by the word of GOD

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I would suggest that everyone find that small group today while there is still time.
And if you live in a big city, find a way to leave today.
It is near folks, very near.
I live in Clearwater that is part of the Tampa / St. Petersburg metropolitan area that has a population of over 4 million. Hopefully, my wife and I will be leaving Florida this year and relocate in Tennessee.

Dec 12, 2013
I live in a fairly small town, but I live in California, right outside of Sacramento. I've been wanting to leave for a while. At the rate this country is going, I feel like California is the worst place to be...
Amen to that one......me...I am off grid (other than sat internet) 30 miles nearest town, national forest on a pure water source and I generate my own power........and make no mistake....I fully believe post trib/pre-wrath ingathering at the 7th and final trump.....as an 80's Marine I am fully prepared for an contingency.............there are 4 things that kill tribulation SAINTS....I can do something about 3 of them..the 4th is up to GOD!

And for the record....I fully believed in a pretrib "rapture" and argued it like most do.....not any more!!

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
I currently attend a non-denominational Christian church. I've been attending said church off and on for about 10 years. I've started feeling uncomfortable there the last few years. It is a very large church with numerous locations. It's the kind of church that feels like a concert on Sundays. My unease is that I have never heard the pastors (both male and female) preach raw truth from God's word. I feel like every service is a like a positive pep talk. It's definitely always a sugar-coated, feel-good message. I met someone about a year or so ago that is a Reformed Christian (Calvinist)...I told him what church I attend and he looked it up and listened to a few sermons online. He was quick to tell me that the pastor of my church was a prosperity preacher. I've always considered the likes of Joel Osteen to be a prosperity preacher, but not my pastor...until I really started listening. He was absolutely right.

In addition, and not to get political, but our church is definitely divided when it comes to politics. I feel like anyone following the Word of God should know what is right and what is wrong (homosexuality, abortion, etc). I believe that our church is divided, because the pastors are not discussing these topics and preaching the truth from the Bible. I feel like our church is too busy trying to be entertaining and politically correct. I also know many members who are unmarried and cohabiting with their partners (to name just one example of on-going sin in the church). I just sense that sin is running rampant there and everyone just turns a blind eye.

I don't think the church I attend is all bad. I have heard a few good sermons and have met some truly wonderful people there. But I just don't feel like it is the best church for my young son and I to hear God's Word on Sundays.

Any way, my point is I want to find a new church. I was raised non-denomination Christian, so I don't really know anything else. Although I will say my pastor in the church I grew up in was NOT like my current church. He was truly a man of God and I had much respect for him. So I know not all non-denominational churches are "bad." But with so many denominations, I'm having a hard time deciding on the right one to choose. How does anyone know that their church is teaching truth? There are so many denominations, interpretations, opinions, etc.

I think I've narrowed down my core beliefs to be most aligned with Southern Baptist, and will actually be attending a small Southern Baptist church in my town this weekend to check it out. I read their "what we believe" page and I agreed with everything they wrote...including that marriage is between a man and a woman, that transgenderism is a sin, and that pastors and elders should be men who meet specific requirements set forth in the Bible. Being that I am currently a member of a church that seems to have openly adopted feminism (and I don't think they discuss anything controversial on their website, such as the definition of Biblical marriage, etc), this was refreshing to see. But I'm curious about Reformed Christianity as well...although there are a few things regarding their beliefs that I'm not sure I agree with. How do you all decide what church to attend? How do you know that their teachings are perfectly aligned with the Bible and being interpreted correctly? Is Southern Baptist a good denomination to be a part of?

I honestly get anxiety trying to sift through all the interpretations, opinions, etc regarding the Bible. I just want to hear TRUTH when I attend church. I want to a attend a church that honors God.

This one is best to call the church you attended while growing up to speak with that Pastor or people you knew that attended it. When I was in the Airforce, I often had to move around because of my job. I would check around with news media to find out what churches were most active in helping people outside their church. I would then visit those churches during the week to look at their libraries, have conversations with the Pastor and some Elders who were willing.
Theology wise, I made a distinction between major theology and minor. I would speak with people on and off base to find out the reputation of churches in the area. I would use the phone book to find rescue missions to visit to find out what churches were involved. I had a list of questions to ask people who attended those churches to see how they reacted. Basically, I treated it like I was giving job interviews.

Deror

Mar 30, 2018
And for the record....I fully believed in a pretrib "rapture" and argued it like most do.....not any more!!

Do you mind me asking what changed your mind, because I trusted a couple of preachers who helped me come out of a certain works-based religion, and so I held them in high regard but a few things they said sometimes caused me to question their teaching on specifics (like Tribs), esp when I really got into the Word myself... and saw it for myself in The Scriptures.. I’ve tried studying Revelation, alongside Daniel, Zechariah, Joel.. and things that Jesus said in The Gospels regarding His return (Am I on the right track with them?) I’ve had to learn myself really... not knowing who to listen to these days anymore to be honest.. I just have to study myself and trust that God will teach me.. and guide me.. I’m grateful for the little nuggets people say that help me refine my own studies.. and I get those Crystal clear moments.. and understand why people said certain things.. but yeah, what changed your mind cos I was taught Pre-trib but also respected Corrie Ten Boom who taught later Trib.. and it bugged me cos 2 people i looked up to, were preaching different things.. guess that’s why I need to study for myself.. it is worth it. I’m glad I took the time and put in the effort.. I’m also glad I didn’t stay in some Churches.. and used the time to study /pray for help instead.. May God Bless you all and help you and guide you all in Jesus.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018

Do you mind me asking what changed your mind, because I trusted a couple of preachers who helped me come out of a certain works-based religion, and so I held them in high regard but a few things they said sometimes caused me to question their teaching on specifics (like Tribs), esp when I really got into the Word myself... and saw it for myself in The Scriptures.. I’ve tried studying Revelation, alongside Daniel, Zechariah, Joel.. and things that Jesus said in The Gospels regarding His return (Am I on the right track with them?) I’ve had to learn myself really... not knowing who to listen to these days anymore to be honest.. I just have to study myself and trust that God will teach me.. and guide me.. I’m grateful for the little nuggets people say that help me refine my own studies.. and I get those Crystal clear moments.. and understand why people said certain things.. but yeah, what changed your mind cos I was taught Pre-trib but also respected Corrie Ten Boom who taught later Trib.. and it bugged me cos 2 people i looked up to, were preaching different things.. guess that’s why I need to study for myself.. it is worth it. I’m glad I took the time and put in the effort.. I’m also glad I didn’t stay in some Churches.. and used the time to study /pray for help instead.. May God Bless you all and help you and guide you all in Jesus.
If your looking for a serious study of Revelation, may I suggest a commentary by Beale. He has a very long one and a newer, shorter one.

Dec 12, 2013

Sure....I had to study through the bible twice a year in Seminary and in the church I attended I was tasked to teach through 1st and 2nd Thessalonians....I began to see things that did not jive with the imminent return.....after about 12 years of studying it I wrote a 212 page book on the subject which is found in the blog section here under My Book On the Second Coming........amen on your testimony....go read the book and tell me what you think...and yes the books you listed are a good start....I can tell you that for every one prophecy of the 1st coming there are 8 that deal with the second......and yes we can know the truth...like Paul said...the church at Thessalonica was NOT IN DARKNESS that that day should over take them as a thief....<---I.E. any church in existence when it comes will be able to see the signs of the times....