Churches of Christ ---jesus christ latter day saints the same thing?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 4, 2022
I read that they aren't the same but I also read latter day saints is an update of churches of christ??? I'm trying to find of if I'm able to believe in the book of mormon??? I'm a non denomination Christian protestant and fall under churches of christ.... But do not know if I'm apart of latter day saints.... I'm into the apocryphal and pseudepigrpha and am interested in any extra books....??

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Church of Christ is no where near the same as Church of latter day saints (mormons)

Church of Christ is fairly mainstream but Mormons aren't considered Christian or are generally allowed in Christian forums.

And before you get into pseudopigrapha or apocryphal or extra biblical studies you first need to understand the core Bible to begin with.

This isn't about creating a religion by cutting and pasting pieces and parts from scriptures andcwritings not scripture it's about forming a relationship with God.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I read that they aren't the same but I also read latter day saints is an update of churches of christ??? I'm trying to find of if I'm able to believe in the book of mormon??? I'm a non denomination Christian protestant and fall under churches of christ.... But do not know if I'm apart of latter day saints.... I'm into the apocryphal and pseudepigrpha and am interested in any extra books....??
That's the first I've heard of the LDS being an update of the Churches of Christ. Both groups do have one thing in common though: both are "restorationists," meaning they each were started because they felt every other church group was false or had apostacized. They felt their mission was to restore the pure and true church. They might have some overlap in their doctrines but they're really not the same at all.

Joseph Smith, the founder of the LDS, was into treasure seeking and scrying. The Book of Mormon is a ridiculous story that Smith claims he got from translating some gold plates he supposedly dug up on a mountain somewhere near his house; it's pure fiction. He claims he was given the translation of the plates through scrying.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
That's the first I've heard of the LDS being an update of the Churches of Christ. Both groups do have one thing in common though: both are "restorationists," meaning they each were started because they felt every other church group was false or had apostacized. They felt their mission was to restore the pure and true church. They might have some overlap in their doctrines but they're really not the same at all.
Adding to this, the biggest problem is that Mormons use similar terms that have very different meanings, so uninformed Christians might be taken in by their message.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The Church of Christ is a denomination and there could be another denominated with a similar name. But they have nothing in common with The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (the Mormons). You should completely stay away from all apocryphal and pseudepigraphical books (especially if you are not solidly grounded in Gospel Truth and Bible Truth). You would be opening the door to false beliefs.

Mar 4, 2022
I'm a nondenominational Christian. I thought I read on wiki churches of Christ were non denomination..... On the apocryphal let me say this I couldn't imagine Not reading macabee 4.... any one else fans of aoocrypha??? also the psudepigraphs I have read don't come as close as the apocrypha... Is the works of Josephus any good??

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
I'm a nondenominational Christian. I thought I read on wiki churches of Christ were non denomination..... On the apocryphal let me say this I couldn't imagine Not reading macabee 4.... any one else fans of aoocrypha??? also the psudepigraphs I have read don't come as close as the apocrypha... Is the works of Josephus any good??
When choosing a church you want to find one operating as close to the biblical example as possible both in practice and doctrine.
Nehemiah6 gave a sound warning concerning extrabiblical reading. Especially if you are a relatively new Christian, it is probably best to stick with the Bible at present. This way you can be taught of the Spirit, free of the input of men.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Historically, they were never counted as Scripture. None of the Apocryphal writers claim to be inspired by God. They were all written during a time (400 years) between the two testaments when it was acknowledged there were no prophets, and no direct revelation from God. The New Testament Jews never included them in any Jewish collection of Scriptures, so contrary to people believing that books have been removed from the Bible, the opposite is actually true: books have been added. The Apocrypha contains a great variety of errors – historical, geographical, chronological, and moral, and promotes doctrines which contradict the Bible. Without these apocryphal books, the Roman Catholic Church would have absolutely NO support for their doctrines of purgatory, praying for the dead and offering sacrifices for the dead (indulgences was a significant reason for the reformation). The Gnostics held a totally different view of the Bible, of Jesus Christ, of salvation, and of virtually every other major Christian doctrine, which is why Paul preached against them and their false teachings.

Mar 4, 2022
Historically, they were never counted as Scripture. None of the Apocryphal writers claim to be inspired by God. They were all written during a time (400 years) between the two testaments when it was acknowledged there were no prophets, and no direct revelation from God. The New Testament Jews never included them in any Jewish collection of Scriptures, so contrary to people believing that books have been removed from the Bible, the opposite is actually true: books have been added. The Apocrypha contains a great variety of errors – historical, geographical, chronological, and moral, and promotes doctrines which contradict the Bible. Without these apocryphal books, the Roman Catholic Church would have absolutely NO support for their doctrines of purgatory, praying for the dead and offering sacrifices for the dead (indulgences was a significant reason for the reformation). The Gnostics held a totally different view of the Bible, of Jesus Christ, of salvation, and of virtually every other major Christian doctrine, which is why Paul preached against them and their false teachings.

Mar 4, 2022
Anyone can give me the location of Paul preaching against the apocryphal books???

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Anyone can give me the location of Paul preaching against the apocryphal books???
Why would he? The Palestinian Jews had already TOTALLY REJECTED the Apocrypha, and Christ had already confirmed the Hebrew canon in Luke 24 -- (1) Torah (the Law) -- 5 books, (2) Neviim (the Prophets) -- 8 books, and (3) Ketuvim (the Psalms) -- 11 books, for a total of 24 books. Those are exactly equivalent to our 39 books of the Old Testament.

Jan 15, 2023
Hello,
There are several mormon splinter groups and small factions one is known as Church of Christ.....it is NOT IN ANY WAY affiliated with the UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST which is mainstream Christian...The largest splinter is call REORGANIZED CHURCH OF LATTER DAY SAINTS...that began soon after Joseph Smiths death led by his son JR..while the main body followed Brigham Young. THEY ARE ALL CULTS AND NOT TO BE BELIEVED OR TRUSTED...
THE BATTLE RAGES TIL THE LION ROARS,
Clarence

Mar 4, 2022
If I read the book of common prayer would that make me anglican? If I read the book of Mormon does that make mormon??

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
If I read the book of common prayer would that make me anglican? If I read the book of Mormon does that make mormon??
Anyone who learns and practices the tenets of a denomination can become a member of that denomination. To become a Christian, you must be born from above.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
Hello roadoftravel,

I have watched this and other documentaries on the subject. This is the best I've found. Please take time to listen to it with an open Bible and an open mind. God is not the Author of confusion. He wants you to know the Truth. ....John 14:6

"

Jun 20, 2022
Well, Josephus, has a few eye opening documentations.

He describes Jesus as being black skinned, long nose, unibrow, hunchback, around 4'10" tall, nazarene parted hair.

He also verifies the Resurrection of Jesus.

Yeah, Josephus, is all over the place and then his work on how Rome destroyed Jerusalem and the Holy Temple and residents were probably his finest hour, since he was a Traitor to his own Yiddish People.

Jun 20, 2022
Why would he? The Palestinian Jews had already TOTALLY REJECTED the Apocrypha, and Christ had already confirmed the Hebrew canon in Luke 24 -- (1) Torah (the Law) -- 5 books, (2) Neviim (the Prophets) -- 8 books, and (3) Ketuvim (the Psalms) -- 11 books, for a total of 24 books. Those are exactly equivalent to our 39 books of the Old Testament.
Nicely Done!
Great Breakdown!

soberxp

May 3, 2018
We have no right to judge others,Only God can do it.
If they want call themselves the church of Christ, there is nothing wrong with it.
But if the name change into mormon, there must be something "interesting" has happened to them.
Mormon sounds as a Religious sect.