Clergy.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

kohelet

Feb 22, 2012
Wrong. He wanted the preeminence. Where does it say that he failed the test for eldership. I might have missed that. Thanks.
Other scriptures back the non self exaltation command. We are not to 'lord it over His heritage.'
Matt. 20 the verses that you never hear taught on. Jesus told His own that the world has its upper authority system 'but it shall not be so among you'.
Elders were to take the oversight of the flock, not the overlord.

Right, Yet. You didn't miss it; you see that the man was not above reproach or Paul would not have reproved him. He was arrogant, for example. Aren't leaders to be servants of all? This is the idea behind the word "minister", isn't it?

This is getting silly. I do see your point about elders and deacons - the situation Timothy was in was unique in the history of the church - but where to we go with it? If you want no pastor in your fellowship or church, that's great. If other churches, like the one I am part of, have roles for everyone and don't put the pastor on a pedestal they should be allowed that freedom and get on with the work of extending God's kingdom, wouldn't you say?

kohelet

Feb 22, 2012
We don't know if Diotrephes was appointed by John (or some other) or not, but it's obvious that he misunderstood godly authority (speak the truth and guide others), and rejected it to advance his own authority (rule over others).

Right, we don't. I agree 100%.

Yet

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Elders grow up naturally in a group and are recognized and acknowledged. No special ceremony of ordination, lit candles, incense, and signed documents by the pope. All the religious stuff added later by pagans.

Yet

Banned
Jan 4, 2014

Right, Yet. You didn't miss it; you see that the man was not above reproach or Paul would not have reproved him. He was arrogant, for example. Aren't leaders to be servants of all? This is the idea behind the word "minister", isn't it?

This is getting silly. I do see your point about elders and deacons - the situation Timothy was in was unique in the history of the church - but where to we go with it? If you want no pastor in your fellowship or church, that's great. If other churches, like the one I am part of, have roles for everyone and don't put the pastor on a pedestal they should be allowed that freedom and get on with the work of extending God's kingdom, wouldn't you say?
No I wouldn't say. I've seen all the damage done for years to the body when it is relegated to nothingness in the pew. What about the people's ministries in the open meeting. New question: If that is not Gods command then why the Duce did He write it out extensively in His word. That's my point. Why is all that scripture soundly rejected by the organized church by those that say 'well we're happy the way we do church'. Another question: is that really wise? To jettison His plan, for the traditions of men? Somebody wake me up!
Im just trying to figure out this type of mentality of modern churchianity. That's all. I'm not trying to be a no good son of a blankety blank, blank like so many think I am for even daring to bring up these questions. I've been told I'm bitter, judgmental, a maverick, a trouble maker, arrogant, a cry baby, a heretic, a false teacher, and even told to 'SHUT UP!'

All because I look at our church practices in the light of NT scriptures, which is anathema in some precincts, a real no no!

If the 'pastors' don't want us to study the word of God, they'ed better quit forthwith in telling us to.

Its bizaar.,where indeed is Rod Serling when you need him. We are living in the twilight zone, lost in space, beyond the outer limits! Oh yea I'm I also called crazy. Still smiling.