Coming to Christ

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jullianna

What led you to become a christian? How did it happen for you?

D

djness

Twelve hours and no responses....must not be any christians here.
To be perfectly honest, and maybe break some hearts, I don't think I am a christian. I find it harder and harder everyday to reason with myself that God even exists.

If I ever was there wasn't anything in particular that drew me I was always raised in church and taught about God.

J

Jullianna

Thank you for your honesty, djness. Truly. I know you are going through a very difficult time and while I cannot say I understand what you are going through, I can see how it would cause you to feel as you do right now.

This helps me to know how to pray. I will pray that God will show Himself to you in mighty ways and that you will be open to seeing them. I was raised in church too and I didn't really KNOW HIM for a long time. It took an extremely difficult (life and death type stuff) period in my life for God to show me who He is and what He can do in a life. He loves you that much too.

Thank you again for sharing this :)

A

abair

I used to be muslim but always hated it is horrible and more i know about it more i see it truth it is an evil ideas kill rape sex more sex even Prostitution and slavery and as jesus say "No one lights a lamp and then covers it with a bowl or hides it under a bed"
because they hide all that and when someone make that horrible discover they make excuses

J

Jullianna

I'm so happy you now have Christ and He has set you free from that, abair.

K

keep_on_smiling

I have always believed there was a God and believed in Jesus, but I certainly didn't grow up in a Christian home. I happened to live in the apartment that was owned by christians and they asked if we could go to VBS and my parents let us. The girls in VBS and my grandmother really taught me a lot about the Lord. My sisters and I loved the Lord and begged my parents to take us to church all growing up. We were very young, but thankful He put that desire to know Him more in our hearts.

When I was about 16 my mother went through some things and started taking us to church, it was then that I really dedicated my life to the Lord and truly knew what that meant. After that my relationship with the Lord was good, but grew tremendously when I was in my first year of college. :) I'm so thankful for His unfailing love!

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
I was but Im kinda with DJ at this point. The lack of good in my life really leads me to doubt that there is a God that cares...I mean if there is, He certainly isn't looking out for me, since nothing is going right.

G

GraceReborn

Honestly, I thought I'm not in the fittest spiritual condition to post a reply here..
but I was somehow drawn to this thread..

Having a Seventh Day Adventist for a father and a Catholic for a mother has caused me a lot of confusion as I was growing up in matters about God. Growing up, I thought God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit existed because everyone around me says so. Christian friends and their invitations will only complicate my life more. I thought I knew enough but I never really knew.. heck, I was clueless.

I used to think I was really tough and extremely lucky, I managed and will manage to survive.
But there came a point in my life when luck seemed to have run out.
Everyone I counted on seemed very distant.
And it felt like all I could offer the people counting on me was failure.
Frustrations.. Disappointments.. Pain.. were just too much to bear anymore..
That moment when I thought I have tried everything and anything to make it okay
but it's just not working at all..

Darkness. It took darkness for me to see the weird light of joy, peace, hope, and love that I saw in my Christian friends. They had struggles too but why are they different???? I wanted that light too.

Darkness has led me to finally accept Jesus in my life. When everything seemed well and good, I didn't think I needed Him or that He even existed.

There is hope in Jesus Christ.. even if everything seems to be falling apart.
Now, I can look people in the eye and tell them that not just because the B-I-B-L-E tells us so
but because I know it. I felt it. I've experienced it. I have that light in me now.

The wonders He did in my life before, He can do again today.
I thank God for the beautiful reminder that His light shines best in darkness. :)

thanks for the thread Jullianna <3

The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease.
Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning.
Lamentations 3:22-23 (NLT)

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Like many I was raised in a christian home and my parents led me to Christ at a young age.

As I look back at my younger years I spent a lot of time going through the motions of Christianity without ever really having the knowledge sink in and make a complete change in me. Through high school I was extremely active in my church and other ministries, but I fell away soon after graduation and lived completely contrary to what I knew to be true. Although I hadn't rejected my faith, I had just chosen to not live it out.

It took 12 years of living life my way for God to bring me back. It wasn't pretty for sure, but God allowed my to run until I couldn't run any more because of the mess I made of my life. Honestly, I praise God not only that he drew me back, but that he allowed my life to become the mess that I made of it.

lil_christian

Mar 14, 2010
The responses I see really brings to my mind a song...

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3YqLdqPiyk[/video]

I came to God at five. Grew up in a Christian family. I've been taught to seek God with my own heart.

Did I? Not always. I was such a jerk back then with anger issues that almost got me in trouble with the law. And if I didn't know Jesus at all and if I went to a public school, I probably WOULD have got my sorry self in juvy. Thank God that didn't happen, though.

I didn't really start to grow until, honestly, around the time I joined here. 2 or 3 years ago.

Since then, I've been growing continually in some sort of area in my life.

I still struggle. I still don't always do what I'm supposed to do.

But I do not doubt that God is out there, helping me. Even through the pain and hard times. And trust me, these past few years have had pain involved. The pain of holding a grudge, the pain of basically feeling like I'm not good enough in my looks and my intelligence..the pain of not always having a mom around when I needed her because she has been taking care of my grandparents...the pain of constant depression.

It might seem like God doesn't care or if He's not out there at all. I've wondered that sometimes. But not anymore. Since I've started seeking him more earnestly, and really just being still and listening for the voice of God, I don't doubt. Not one iota.

Can I just emphasize how important it is to really listen for God, to pray, and to really learn to lean on Him even in the bad times? Because it's so important...

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Did I? Not always. I was such a jerk back then with anger issues that almost got me in trouble with the law. And if I didn't know Jesus at all and if I went to a public school, I probably WOULD have got my sorry self in juvy. Thank God that didn't happen, though.
It is amazing the things God can change in us when we let him.

A

adekruif

For me it was a time in my life where God took away a person in my life that I was living for/through, and also gave me an intense desire to know more about Him. It took the pain from "losing" that perso to finally realize what I was doing, how I was living my life. From that moment of realization I had a desire to know more about GOD, who HE really was, what HE really said, things like that even though I grew up in a Christian home. It took me a couple months to finally "give in" and surrender my life.

V

violakat

My dad was a preacher, but I wasn't saved until I was about 14. When I was about 12, my dad died of cancer, and that shook me really bad. It started causing me to question if I was saved. Then, soon after I turned 14, the son of my then pastor gave his testimony. He was about 20 and said he had gotten saved a couple of months earlier. It was then that I realized I truley wasn't saved. But I still resisted God. A few months later I started having dreams of God giving a tour in Hell, and I was one of those in Hell. At the same time, God started bringing to my mind the parable about 10 virigins going to a wedding. Five were ready, and the other 5 were not. I was one of those who was not ready. These dreams went on somewhere between a week to a month. Anyway, the night before Father's day I woke up and decided to ask Christ into my heart.

Several year later, like in college, I started walking away from God. I ended up to the point of not knowing if I really believed in God anymore. At some point I decided I needed to determine what I believed and started looking inside myself questiong what I believed. I realized that I did believe in a God. Once I realized that, I asked Him to show me the truth, if Christ was really His son, the Messiah. And well, lets just say, God made it really clear to me that Jesus is. At that point I gave my life back to God.

For years though, I struggled with feeling as if God would not really save me, that He would never forgive me. Even though, I knew He had, even though I knew I had repented and ask God into my heart to save me, I still had doubts. A few years ago, my current church introduced a new class in their discipleship classes, it was on witnessing to others. In this class, it went step by step in explaining not only how to witness but what Salvation really was. At some point, in the class I stopped doubting God. I didn't even realized it until about a year or two later when I realized I no longer woke up afraid that God had come back and left me.

niceguyJ

Feb 5, 2011
For those hurting and wavering in faith: Just remember we really don't deserve anything good. Yet Christ died for us. HE DIED FOR US. Is that not enough? He never said this life would be easy. It's not.
Keep this in mind also: He is not here to serve us, we are here to serve Him. It's not His job to make us have a wonderful life with everything our flesh could possibly desire.
We should all burn in Hell but through His sacrifice, grace, and mercy we don't have to. Is that not enough?

---------

As for me, I was raised in church. Around nine years old I really started thinking about eternity. If I'm being honest, it was the fear of going to Hell that had a lot to do with me coming to Jesus at that age. It wasn't really until I was around 14 years old that I started walking out my faith, so to speak. Then around 18 or so, I just hit another huge growth spurt spiritually. I began to connect with God even more and truly develop a love for Him. It became more about realizing what He has done for me and wanting to live for Him in return than it was about just being afraid of going to Hell.
It hasn't been an easy road. I still mess up as much as the next guy or girl, but I always stick with Him. I can't imagine life without Him.

-------
lil_christian,
If you happen to read this, I want to mention you specifically. I really liked what you had to say up there. I've seen you around here plenty, and it's hard to believe you're only 15. You seem to have more wisdom at that young age than I did much later on. You're an impressive young lady. Keep doing what you're doing and putting God first. I can't help but think He has some great plans for you.

DinoDillinger

Jul 28, 2009
I decided to start being a good christian and through the turn of events I started questioning my faith and salvation. Kinda similar to Violakat, I couldn't bring myself to believe so I prayed earnestly for God to give me faith in Jesus if He was really the Christ. Took some time but the Holy Spirit did testify to me the truth and shook my whole world haha. :D

lil_christian

Mar 14, 2010
For those hurting and wavering in faith: Just remember we really don't deserve anything good. Yet Christ died for us. HE DIED FOR US. Is that not enough? He never said this life would be easy. It's not.
Keep this in mind also: He is not here to serve us, we are here to serve Him. It's not His job to make us have a wonderful life with everything our flesh could possibly desire.
We should all burn in Hell but through His sacrifice, grace, and mercy we don't have to. Is that not enough?

---------

As for me, I was raised in church. Around nine years old I really started thinking about eternity. If I'm being honest, it was the fear of going to Hell that had a lot to do with me coming to Jesus at that age. It wasn't really until I was around 14 years old that I started walking out my faith, so to speak. Then around 18 or so, I just hit another huge growth spurt spiritually. I began to connect with God even more and truly develop a love for Him. It became more about realizing what He has done for me and wanting to live for Him in return than it was about just being afraid of going to Hell.
It hasn't been an easy road. I still mess up as much as the next guy or girl, but I always stick with Him. I can't imagine life without Him.

-------
lil_christian,
If you happen to read this, I want to mention you specifically. I really liked what you had to say up there. I've seen you around here plenty, and it's hard to believe you're only 15. You seem to have more wisdom at that young age than I did much later on. You're an impressive young lady. Keep doing what you're doing and putting God first. I can't help but think He has some great plans for you.

I like your testimony, NiceGuy :D

And thanks :eek: haha I was literally told just two nights ago God has some great plans for me :)

Jul 25, 2005
April, 1995

Ritter: What happens when we die?

Mom: Well, if you know Jesus you go to Heaven. If you don't know him you go to Hell.

Ritter: What is Hell like?

Mom: You are away from God and are tortured for an eternity in darkness.

Ritter: There are no better places in Hell?

Mom: No.

Ritter: Well I don't really feel like handing my life over to anyone. Is there a way I can escape Hell?

Mom: I'm afraid not.

Ritter: So the only way to Heaven is giving my life to Christ?

Mom: Yep

Ritter: *Internal Dialogue* Hmmmm, I guess I'm out of options then, aren't I? If Hell exists with no habitable corner or means of escape, I really don't want to go there. Well, I guess giving this Jesus thing is worth a shot.

Mom: Are you ready to make a decision?

Ritter: Yes, show me how to go to Heaven.

From there my mom told me the sinner's prayer. Yes, I accepted Christ initially because I wanted my five year old soul covered by fire insurance, but it turned into something else more wonderful than I could ever imagine. A relationship of so much value in that it has given a direction and a purpose when life seemed to have no direction or purpose.

I'm just glad He rescued me when I was young. Five years later and I would have found questions harder to answer than "Can you escape hell?"

Feb 11, 2012
When I realized I had never really repented, and was a lukewarm mess, lost in the church system that teaches you can sin like the world and still be saved, as long as you received Jesus into your heart,throught the Billy Graham sinners prayer.

I had to come out of the false chruch system(Babylon) and seek truth apart from the army of false teachers who claim to be of God, but are not!

They teach watered down message of original sin, substitution, OSAS, plus there is no sin such as child molesting that needs to be stopped to receive mercy, because Jesus did it all,and when He said go and sin no more less a worse thing hapen to you was just kidding, because we all all just poor sinners, saved by grace, and God doesnt care if we continue in sin, but that you just receive HIs son as your sunstitute, while you still struggle in sin and worldliness.

Coming to Christ to me was a serious matter not to be taken lightly.

COMING TO CHRIST PART 1 - YouTube

COMING TO CHRIST PART 2 - YouTube

COMING TO CHRIST PART 3 - YouTube

JimJimmers

Apr 26, 2012
Tommy, are you saying trusting Jesus as your savior from your sins doesn't save you?