Common Questions on Cursing, Cussing or Swearing

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

msleah

Nov 22, 2020
Hello everyone. What's your single biggest question about cursing, cussing, or swearing? You're free to share it here. Lots of thanks. God bless

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Hello and welcome to CC... Cussing and Cursing Central!

Oh, wait... that's three C's...

I don't have any questions, except maybe to wonder why people think that scatological language is "foul".

B

Blackpowderduelist

Cursing is pronouncing a curse which is not with in our power to do. So it's vain speech.
Swearing is to take an oath which may also be vain speech, it binds us to our word.
Cuss I guess comes from cursing. I'm not sure what it means.
I am just postulating here, but I think you may be referring to profanities. Profanity is to use valuable or even holy things or words in common ways. Kind of like the G d word. This is to profane the Holy God.
All words however have meanings and they should be used inside their meaning.
We should strive to speak plainly and honestly, and with out malice. I don't know any more to say on this subject.

msleah

Nov 22, 2020
Cursing is pronouncing a curse which is not with in our power to do. So it's vain speech.
Swearing is to take an oath which may also be vain speech, it binds us to our word.
Cuss I guess comes from cursing. I'm not sure what it means.
I am just postulating here, but I think you may be referring to profanities. Profanity is to use valuable or even holy things or words in common ways. Kind of like the G d word. This is to profane the Holy God.
All words however have meanings and they should be used inside their meaning.
We should strive to speak plainly and honestly, and with out malice. I don't know any more to say on this subject.
That is indeed true. Some actually change the curse words into safe ones just to avoid speaking mean words, but I think doing such thing does not do anything well. Does speaking safe words removes one's intention to curse? I don't think so.

Kireina

Aug 26, 2020
I have no question... but I believe that Cussing,cursing and swearing should have no place in the daily life of a believer.The bible is very clear about that... 😊

Ephesians 4:29
29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths,but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Taming of the tongue. While I admit I am nowhere near as awful as I wall use to be, sometimes a profane word is uttered(Mostly due to frustration). This should not be. Can’t praise the Lord and curse men who were created in the likeness of God.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Hello everyone. What's your single biggest question about cursing, cussing, or swearing? You're free to share it here. Lots of thanks. God bless
I have no question... but I believe that Cussing,cursing and swearing should have no place in the daily life of a believer.The bible is very clear about that... 😊

29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths,but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
Going off of Ephesians 4:29 I agree we should be inviting to everyone. And not everyone cusses like a sailor. I suppose you would have to define unwholesome talk because that may refer to things like gossip where as a cuss word in context could be the showing of emotion or pain.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Taming of the tongue. While I admit I am nowhere near as awful as I use to be, sometimes a profane word is uttered(Mostly due to frustration). This should not be. Can’t praise the Lord and curse men who were created in the likeness of God.

B

Blackpowderduelist

That is indeed true. Some actually change the curse words into safe ones just to avoid speaking mean words, but I think doing such thing does not do anything well. Does speaking safe words removes one's intention to curse? I don't think so.
Welcome to CC.

Kireina

Aug 26, 2020
Going off of Ephesians 4:29 I agree we should be inviting to everyone. And not everyone cusses like a sailor. I suppose you would have to define unwholesome talk because that may refer to things like gossip where as a cuss word in context could be the showing of emotion or pain.

Unwholesome talk---speech that is not helpful for building others.

Yes, gossip definitely there is no positive thing about gossiping. It only creates chaos. Not beneficial to others

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Eh? If the intention is not to curse by replacing a recognizable "bad" word with one that is less offensive, how can one say the intention is to curse? The intention seems more to convey the ardor and passion (regardless of how misdirected) that cursing is meant to convey without using the once objectionable words that have become so much more publicly prevalent in present day society.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016

Unwholesome talk---speech that is not helpful for building others.

Yes, gossip definitely there is no positive thing about gossiping. It only creates chaos. Not beneficial to others
What is considered unhelpful if it neither helpful or hurtful then what? If you cuss out of pain? Does that help or hurt others?

I'm not defending it but simply stirring the thought.

Kireina

Aug 26, 2020
What is considered unhelpful if it neither helpful or hurtful then what? If you cuss out of pain? Does that help or hurt others?

I'm not defending it but simply stirring the thought.
Ephesians 4:29, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen" .

Sir/ma'am this verse answers your questions...I'll just keep on reqouting the verse 😊

What does it mean...? It means our aim as a believer is to show grace,love,kindness,patience to those who listen to our words...despite the circumstances...

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Ephesians 4:29, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen" .

Sir/ma'am this verse answers your questions...I'll just keep on reqouting the verse 😊

What does it mean...? It means our aim as a believer is to show grace,love,kindness,patience to those who listen to our words...despite the circumstances...
Reqouting or bolding it does not explain my question. You are neither building nor hurting anyone if you say a word our culture has considered as a cuss word, when you smash your finger under a hammer. Another example, would we condemn a police officer who yells at a man to drop their gun if they use vulgar language.

I do not cuss but I also practice grace and understanding when it comes to sinners or certain situations. I also do not feel morally compromised if I ever had to cuss to try and get a threat to comply.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Why do we do it?

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I don't have any questions, except maybe to wonder why people think that scatological language is "foul".
B'cuss some people sound like sqwalking birds when they curse.

Kireina

Aug 26, 2020
Reqouting or bolding it does not explain my question. You are neither building nor hurting anyone if you say a word our culture has considered as a cuss word, when you smash your finger under a hammer. Another example, would we condemn a police officer who yells at a man to drop their gun if they use vulgar language.

I do not cuss but I also practice grace and understanding when it comes to sinners or certain situations. I also do not feel morally compromised if I ever had to cuss to try and get a threat to comply.

I am not sure about those scenarios you gave... because as you have said you don't cuss...so you are doing what the bible says to watch and control your words...as Christians as born again Christians we are called to speak life (speak truth,speak words that build and encourage others and we are told to put away corrupt speeches)

I dont know the policeman and i am not sure what to say because i know nothing about his life his daily life if he is a born again Christian...or if he encountered Ephesians 4:29 already 😅 ? I don't know what to say anymore lol...I only wrote what the bible tells us how to speak as believers...I have different culture as yours there are things in my culture which are against what the bible tells us... but I don't follow them I only follow What God commands us to do...There are verses in the bible who can give you definition of what is an unwholesome talk...The bible tells us that we should not speak or utter fruitless words,lying,gossip,foolish,obscene,wicked,idle etc...I still stand to what the bible tells me to speak...speak with grace despite the circumstances...

Whether you axed your finger (that hurts actually 😥) or you yell at a robber...If I was the policeman I don't think I will cuss at him...I may share a bible verse to tell him about God's grace...they need to hear it badly...

Ephesians 4:29 speaks how we should speak to others as a believer how to help build others through our words...

Lastly,I would like to add...this When God changed us HE changed our hearts our conducts and our speech...He transformed you,He changed the whole you. Your old cussing self is no more. is it possible to slip? Yeah..but still the bible tells us to speak only the things that speak life ❤

This would be my last comment here...I am sorry if I could not answer or reply you anymore God bless you ❤

Jim62

Jan 8, 2021
I do my best to avoid it simply because it is really language of hate and anger. If I slip up and utter something it's always at a time of frustration or anger so that tells me it's not good. I never have uttered an expletive in a joyful mood, nor have I had the use of profanity make me feel better about anything. I run into a lot of frustration in my hobby and "Help me Jesus" or "Give me strength" are nice replacements and make you feel much better. Better to call on the Lord than utter words of uselessness.

msleah

Nov 22, 2020
I am not sure about those scenarios you gave... because as you have said you don't cuss...so you are doing what the bible says to watch and control your words...as Christians as born again Christians we are called to speak life (speak truth,speak words that build and encourage others and we are told to put away corrupt speeches)

I dont know the policeman and i am not sure what to say because i know nothing about his life his daily life if he is a born again Christian...or if he encountered Ephesians 4:29 already 😅 ? I don't know what to say anymore lol...I only wrote what the bible tells us how to speak as believers...I have different culture as yours there are things in my culture which are against what the bible tells us... but I don't follow them I only follow What God commands us to do...There are verses in the bible who can give you definition of what is an unwholesome talk...The bible tells us that we should not speak or utter fruitless words,lying,gossip,foolish,obscene,wicked,idle etc...I still stand to what the bible tells me to speak...speak with grace despite the circumstances...

Whether you axed your finger (that hurts actually 😥) or you yell at a robber...If I was the policeman I don't think I will cuss at him...I may share a bible verse to tell him about God's grace...they need to hear it badly...

Ephesians 4:29 speaks how we should speak to others as a believer how to help build others through our words...

Lastly,I would like to add...this When God changed us HE changed our hearts our conducts and our speech...He transformed you,He changed the whole you. Your old cussing self is no more. is it possible to slip? Yeah..but still the bible tells us to speak only the things that speak life ❤

This would be my last comment here...I am sorry if I could not answer or reply you anymore God bless you ❤
Totally agreeing with this! Thank you for the insights. God bless

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
www.101christiansocialnetwork.com
I find this whole topic quite fascinating,

I guess it’s a case of not being sinful - dirty minded, unnecessarily offensive, blasphemous or nasty.

My gran would speak of being “gay” and not mean anything to do with sexuality.

Some cultures just find some
Words offensive -

I mean in essence there is no difference in a Little child saying they need to poo or they need to .... , they aren’t being vile or rude, simply explaining the urgency to get to the toilet. Yet we are shocked and appalled to hear people say certain words in our society.

It’s quite a big issue for many, I know kjv bible only Christians who won’t even say certain words that are in the very bible they say is THE only inspired version. THE infallible word of God.

Humans are a curious breed when it comes to language and the way we judge one another by it. Yet two people can say/hear the same words with different Preconceived notions, traditions, intentions, meanings and understandings.

Cursing is to speak ill of someone or to wish them harm. (Blessing is to speak well of someone and wish them well). Not really based on a vocabulary issue but a heart issue.

I know that if it goes against my convictions - I just shouldn’t say it. If it causes others to stumble I shouldn’t say it.

It’s a big topic. It really is. It’s been good
To read all the different views here. Interesting thread, thanks op.