Compromise and value

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 22, 2019
I hear it all the time about people being in things and doing things because they believe that they don’t deserve better or are valuable enough to get better. In our sinful nature we don’t deserve anything, but God graciously gives us everything we need for life and godliness. So how do you hold on to move in that grace of God rather than accept something less like “I’ll have sex with this person because I’m not a virgin anyway or I’m lonely”? How do you hold out for the pure, lovely and good of life rather than compromising because you don’t think that you can ever get more? This applies to relationships with any person, jobs, having fun, and all other life situations.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Value itself is relative and highly subjective. The same candy bar can cost one price at the grocery store, twice the price in a vending machine and three times (or more!) at an amusement park.

The main determinant for value is, "How much are you willing to pay for it?"

Are you willing to pay the effort to improve a part of your life? It depends on the value you place on the improvement, and whether you think it is worth the effort. A lot of value is in perspective. And doing something you know is wrong, because you want the enjoyment you believe you will get from it, is almost always really easy. Even when you don't get the satisfaction you thought you would get, it's easy to try again and again, and finally settle for what you do get out of it.

And by then your estimation of your own value is pretty much shot, so who cares anyway? :oops:

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
All I know is that God wants us to have life and to have it more abundantly. I place a great value on that piece of spiritual truth.

Jun 18, 2019
Never settle. Always seek to improve yourself each and every day , good things will follow.

Apr 22, 2019
I guess, Christians compromise the most. All of us want world peace, but are not likely to get it on our lifetime, so we settle for trying to have peace at home. At least peace at home may be attainable.

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018
I hear it all the time about people being in things and doing things because they believe that they don’t deserve better or are valuable enough to get better. In our sinful nature we don’t deserve anything, but God graciously gives us everything we need for life and godliness. So how do you hold on to move in that grace of God rather than accept something less like “I’ll have sex with this person because I’m not a virgin anyway or I’m lonely”? How do you hold out for the pure, lovely and good of life rather than compromising because you don’t think that you can ever get more? This applies to relationships with any person, jobs, having fun, and all other life situations.
People walk through stages all over the world. There are 2 things people have to learn: 1. Understanding God's love for them. 2. Understanding how to play the game in the world. By understanding God's love, even if they don't agree with him they will want to follow his principles on the basis that he's on their side so it's correct. The world on the other hand has its own set of rules, and it's not really a sin but a lack of understanding about the world. For example a teen may date a mentally abusive guy but not know it's abuse bc kids are very black and white and they haven't acquired that psychological understanding.

The easiest solution for me is to trust God and try to take out the emotion as much as possible. This allows for me to pray and go through things logically.

I've been through cheating, job loss, infertility for years and years, and severe health issues. Life moves like seasons...up and down. It's like that for everyone, and the longer you live the more downs you'll experience. There are still many good things as well.

Another thing is letting go of control. That was my key to happiness. It doesn't mean not going after what you want, or the good life. It helped every relationship I'm in and every situation. It makes me a better wife and mother and person. When something is going wrong I say well I lost the battle, but I won the war. In other words eventually I'll get what I pray for. It was like that for my son after years of surgeries trying to get him. You could say the same thing for anything, dating, jobs, etc. You go through the valley to get to the mountain. It's the control and pride that actually makes us very unhappy. And if you're going through a hard time it's okay to be upset (it's natural), but the sun will rise in the morning.

theanointedwinner

Nov 6, 2018
It takes faith to believe that faith can overcome anxiety of one's insecurities