Could God Speak to Us?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Elisabet

Jul 11, 2015
I once heard from a priest that God no longer speaks to us directly (like how he spoke to Samuel or Jonah), because now we have the Bible and it's the complete revelation of God and God no longer needs to talk to us like he did in the Old Testament.

However, i also read a book that said God could do whatever he wants to do, and he could speak to us in this era if he wants to.
If the book is right, how could we differ which one is really God's words, which one is our own mind, and which one is from Satan?

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
He could and he does. :)
John 16:13
When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.

Elisabet

Jul 11, 2015
He could and he does. :)
John 16:13
When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.
Does that mean it will guide us to do what God wants (like reminding us through our fast heart beat every time we think of doing something wrong) or does that mean it will appear in our dreams, chat with us, reveal the things that happen in the future?

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
Does that mean it will guide us to do what God wants (like reminding us through our fast heart beat every time we think of doing something wrong) or does that mean it will appear in our dreams, chat with us, reveal the things that happen in the future?
I think God speaks how and when he knows we will be most receptive. It depends on the situation we're in.
I was in a really serious car accident years ago. At 55 mph. I was side swiped by another car and fishtailed and started to roll down a busy highway.
This voice,clear and as soft and gentle and unlike any voice I'd ever heard said softly, it's OK, you'll be fine. I relaxed instantly and took the ride. I should have died but I extricated myself from the car and both me and the other driver were unharmed.

God created the universe. Ever seen the Hubble's space photos?

When God can create a tapestry of lights like those that await our discovery of them with the science we develop over generations, he can do anything. :)

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
If by "it" you mean the Holy Spirit, "He" is the appropriate third-person reference. He can do far more than we ask or imagine, because He is God.

I would suggest that you specifically ask God to teach you how to discern His voice from among the other voices and noise, and how to hear Him speaking to you individually. He is a good Father; if you ask for an egg, He will not give you a stone.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I once heard from a priest that God no longer speaks to us directly (like how he spoke to Samuel or Jonah), because now we have the Bible and it's the complete revelation of God and God no longer needs to talk to us like he did in the Old Testament.

However, i also read a book that said God could do whatever he wants to do, and he could speak to us in this era if he wants to.
If the book is right, how could we differ which one is really God's words, which one is our own mind, and which one is from Satan?
He spoke to me directly to me before not in the whole voice in the mind thing that sometimes people mistake as his voice but out loud and with actual power in his words. His voice can command our bodies to act and I know this from experience his words can actually fill us with life and strength and again I know this from experience.

Dooms

Feb 8, 2018
He does and continues to speak with us. I think an important part of having a relationship with the living God is being able to be told "No."

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016

God only speaks to us today through the bible and through our conscience. If your conscience tells you something contrary to what the bible says, then it is not from God.

rlm68

Jul 23, 2018
Great question!!

Does God still speak to His believers?

I absolutely believe He does. Outside of specific scripture we read at certain times, thoughts and gut feelings, there are dreams, visions, people who come to you and say something that you immediately understand is from God, and I have actually done like the prophet Samuel did as a child (heard my name called and go ask if someone called for me to find out no one did around me - and it called my name again).

It truly is quite amazing how God can get a hold of us!!

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
God only speaks to us today through the bible and through our conscience. If your conscience tells you something contrary to what the bible says, then it is not from God.
Only through the bible and our conscience? My friend he speaks to his children in far more ways than you can imagine you just have to know how hear his voice.
he uses music, he uses the flowers planted in a rose garden, he uses the laughter of an infant baby, he uses the ants that crawl on the earth even. If one has the ears to hear he can and will use anything to speak to his even if it has seemingly nothing to do with him.

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
Yes G-d does speak to us; at least to me and if He does me I'm sure others!!!

Example: I had been saved for about 5 years and I cussed when I prayed. I figured G-d knows my heart so why not just say it. I was driving, on my way home, praying and cussing all thru it. I heard a voice in my head say to me do you cuss in front of your earthly father? I answered no. Then I heard in my head "I am your Heavenly Father" . And I said, OH!!!! Please forgive me.... Now I do not cuss when I pray... I have started to sometimes over the past 20 some years, but I catch and stop myself and ask for forgiveness right away then we keep talking.

Now that is a different typic why G-d never said anything for 5 years, but there were a lot of other things He dealt with me about. But that is how He speaks to me today. I do not hear an audible, but it's in my head and I know it's Him. Maybe almost like a schizophrenic hears voices... but He does not speak to me all the time, He is the only One... I just know Him from my thoughts.

But see Messiah/G-d and I spend a lot of time together. I talk to Him a lot; He usually answers in His Word. But there are precious times He talks to me!!!!

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Yes G-d does speak to us; at least to me and if He does me I'm sure others!!!

Example: I had been saved for about 5 years and I cussed when I prayed. I figured G-d knows my heart so why not just say it. I was driving, on my way home, praying and cussing all thru it. I heard a voice in my head say to me do you cuss in front of your earthly father? I answered no. Then I heard in my head "I am your Heavenly Father" . And I said, OH!!!! Please forgive me.... Now I do not cuss when I pray... I have started to sometimes over the past 20 some years, but I catch and stop myself and ask for forgiveness right away then we keep talking.

Now that is a different typic why G-d never said anything for 5 years, but there were a lot of other things He dealt with me about. But that is how He speaks to me today. I do not hear an audible, but it's in my head and I know it's Him. Maybe almost like a schizophrenic hears voices... but He does not speak to me all the time, He is the only One... I just know Him from my thoughts.

But see Messiah/G-d and I spend a lot of time together. I talk to Him a lot; He usually answers in His Word. But there are precious times He talks to me!!!!
I am the same way when it comes to him I am completely honest with him even in my anger because he knows my heart so i see no reason to hide anything from him. The thing is he speaks to us all the time we just don't always recognize it

Elisabet

Jul 11, 2015
If by "it" you mean the Holy Spirit, "He" is the appropriate third-person reference. He can do far more than we ask or imagine, because He is God.

I would suggest that you specifically ask God to teach you how to discern His voice from among the other voices and noise, and how to hear Him speaking to you individually. He is a good Father; if you ask for an egg, He will not give you a stone.
Oh, sorry for the reference mistake. I didn't realize that i used the wrong pronoun.

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
Only through the bible and our conscience? My friend he speaks to his children in far more ways than you can imagine you just have to know how hear his voice.
he uses music, he uses the flowers planted in a rose garden, he uses the laughter of an infant baby, he uses the ants that crawl on the earth even. If one has the ears to hear he can and will use anything to speak to his even if it has seemingly nothing to do with him.
When I see birds and fish with grand colors and designs, hear a baby's laughter, see ants who follow other ants exact trail- my conscience hears God.

Elisabet

Jul 11, 2015
Thanks for the answers, i guess that explains why i believe i have heard a voice comforting me when i am sad or reminding me not to sin. I just have never been thinking that it's the voice of God. I often think of it as the guidance of the Holy Spirit, who doesn't really speak, but give clues. But i guess God really does speak until now, and it gives me an intimate sense for my relationship with Him.

However, i still find that it's hard, almost impossible, for me to believe a priest who describe what it looks like in Hell or Heaven. We could never really check if it's appropriate because the Bible doesn't provide clear description, i guess. I have read a book where this person describe Hell and Heaven so vividly because God has brought him there, or God has spoken to him (i forgot which one)

Or when someone is given vision about the Doom's Day (which none of them has ben proven until this moment) or is given revelation of what will happen to himself, to the society, or to a certain person. I find it difficult to believe what they say, it's like my heart keeps telling me not to believe in them (or it's actually my logic telling so, i'm not sure)

Elisabet

Jul 11, 2015
I
When I see birds and fish with grand colors and designs, hear a baby's laughter, see ants who follow other ants exact trail- my conscience hears God.
I do agree with this one. When i see the beauty of the nature, i don't literally chat with God as in how i chat with my friends irl, but i guess He is explicitly showing us, revealing Himself that he is the true,almighty God who takes care of His creatures.

rlm68

Jul 23, 2018
The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God!!
So, if you hear a warning, it is God through the Holy Spirit giving you that warning.

Elisabet

Jul 11, 2015
So, if you hear a warning, it is God through the Holy Spirit giving you that warning.
so if i find a preacher telling he literally speaks to God and gets vision and my heart feels uncomfortable, is that the way of the Holy Spirit to tell me not to believe what the preacher says?

rlm68

Jul 23, 2018
so if i find a preacher telling he literally speaks to God and gets vision and my heart feels uncomfortable, is that the way of the Holy Spirit to tell me not to believe what the preacher says?

It could be.

And, it could be because you are not familiar with how God can communicate to His followers. Lack of knowledge causes confusion, and confusion can appear as a warning when it is only a matter of not having knowledge.

But if you feel uncomfortable about anything pertaining to what you hear concerning God, it is best to pray and read your Bible. The answers will always be given unto you if you desire God to answer you!!

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
The Holy Spirit ~is~ God. He is one of the three Persons who make up the Godhead (The Trinity), along with the Father and the Son.

~Deut

..........Acts 13
..........1 There were at Antioch, in the church that was there, prophets and teachers: Barnabas, and Simeon who was
..........called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
..........2 While they were ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for
..........the work to which I have called them.”
..........3 Then, when they had fasted and prayed and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.
..........4 So, being sent out by the Holy Spirit, they went down to Seleucia and from there they sailed to Cyprus.