Could God Speak to Us?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
I once heard from a priest that God no longer speaks to us directly (like how he spoke to Samuel or Jonah), because now we have the Bible and it's the complete revelation of God and God no longer needs to talk to us like he did in the Old Testament.

However, i also read a book that said God could do whatever he wants to do, and he could speak to us in this era if he wants to.
If the book is right, how could we differ which one is really God's words, which one is our own mind, and which one is from Satan?
2 Peter 1
16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
17 For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
18 And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.
19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

God told Peter that we have a more sure word than Peter's experience of seeing the Lord in His majesty and glory, and hearing the very voice of God the Father speak from heaven. We have, in Scripture, something that we can trust more than whatever we think we saw, or whatever we think we hear. We are always better off searching the Scriptures.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
I once heard from a priest that God no longer speaks to us directly (like how he spoke to Samuel or Jonah), because now we have the Bible and it's the complete revelation of God and God no longer needs to talk to us like he did in the Old Testament.
However, i also read a book that said God could do whatever he wants to do, and he could speak to us in this era if he wants to.
If the book is right, how could we differ which one is really God's words, which one is our own mind, and which one is from Satan?
God most certainly does speak to his church these days - especially through properly conducted Pentecostal worship services
that are done decently and in order according to scripture.

26 Then how is it, brothers? When you come together, each one of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation,
has an interpretation. Let all things be for building up.
27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
1Corinthians 14:

You can read here how that a proper meeting of a Spirit-filled church operates three voice gifts of the Holy Spirit;
diversity of tongues [or speaking in an unknown tongue]
followed by an interpretation of the preceding message given in an unknown tongue
this interpretation is God speaking to us through the indwelling Holy Spirit and confirming the sign and purpose of
speaking (praying) in an unknown tongue.

Then come up to three gifts of prophecy or rather inspired speaking.
Here God speaks directly to the saints and reveals much about the state of affairs within the church body and also
much about what is happening in the world leading up to the coming Day of the Lord.

Sep 4, 2012
Oh, sorry for the reference mistake. I didn't realize that i used the wrong pronoun.
It doesn't matter what pronoun you use for the holy spirit. Evidence exists in scripture for all three uses (he, she, it).

Sep 4, 2012
Thanks for the answers, i guess that explains why i believe i have heard a voice comforting me when i am sad or reminding me not to sin. I just have never been thinking that it's the voice of God. I often think of it as the guidance of the Holy Spirit, who doesn't really speak, but give clues. But i guess God really does speak until now, and it gives me an intimate sense for my relationship with Him.

However, i still find that it's hard, almost impossible, for me to believe a priest who describe what it looks like in Hell or Heaven. We could never really check if it's appropriate because the Bible doesn't provide clear description, i guess. I have read a book where this person describe Hell and Heaven so vividly because God has brought him there, or God has spoken to him (i forgot which one)

Or when someone is given vision about the Doom's Day (which none of them has ben proven until this moment) or is given revelation of what will happen to himself, to the society, or to a certain person. I find it difficult to believe what they say, it's like my heart keeps telling me not to believe in them (or it's actually my logic telling so, i'm not sure)
Learn to discern the voice of GOD within you, but always take what others say they've heard with a grain of salt. No, more like a bucket of salt - unless the holy spirit witnesses to you that it is truth. And ignore people who say GOD doesn't speak to us.

Jesus said the holy spirit speaks to us like a gentle breeze.

The breeze blows wherever it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but you do not know where it comes from and where it is going. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.” John 3:8

I'm certain he was referring to Elijah's revelation about the voice of GOD

And [GOD] said, Thou shalt go forth to-morrow, and shalt stand before the Lord in the mount; behold, the Lord will pass by. And, behold, a great and strong wind rending the mountains, and crushing the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake: and after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire the voice of a gentle breeze; there was the Lord. 1 Kings 19:11-12
I have also experienced GOD's voice distilling as the morning dew, and snow upon the grass.

Attend, O heaven, and I will speak; and let the earth hear the words out of my mouth. Let my speech be looked for as the rain, and my words come down as dew, as the shower upon the herbage, and as snow upon the grass. Deuteronomy 32:1-2
Jesus' brother had this to say about the voice of wisdom, which is one of the holy spirits

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceful, gentle, persuasive, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial, without hypocrisy. James 3:17-18

Noblemen

Jan 14, 2018

Usally when making a decision it will be your first thought that will work out the best.
And it just happens it's not when you say, ready set think. It just comes to you, that has been my experience. Learning to lean or listen to it is another story. An outer voice, I've never heard one, an inner voice yes but it has been sporadic through my Christian years.. The clearest thing I ever heard was when a brother was sharing a very deep truth, I religiously was agreeing, Amen, Hallelujah, praise God brother, all the jargon and a voice simply said "you do not know what he is talking about." I was blown away, we spent many years together I and this dear brother, he was so deep he was rejected by most he shared with, he just seemed to odd. I don't mean to pick but inside the church building there is a lot of immaturity, and if anyone with maturity comes along they will seem weird in their understanding, because they more than likely will not fit the religious mold. I'm not talking about the self proclaiming nuts of religion, you may not even hear them, there is no self boasting.

Latour

Jun 11, 2018

There's not just the spiritual faculty of hearing...but also seeing in the Spirit.

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy

Many a "blind" priest, or shepherd, who have fallen to "traditions of man", have successfully, "restricted" the "Word of God", to the point that He, will fit "quite nicely", in their "little boxes!" "Some", mean well, but for reasons, whether it be from "church leadership", saying, either specifically, or by insinuation, "We do the paying?" (meaning the pastor's/preist's,shepherd's salary) "WE, do the saying!" (meaning, if it is not found to be favorable to these "eyes of men?"...It don't get said/taught/preached!) If this is what you have been "experiencing", in whichever "church of stone", you are attending? as it seems you may be, or at least "inquisitive" enough, in "peering through the lid?" If it were me? I would "RUN...NOT walk" away from such a place, or, those that teach/preach this? Or? Stay, and wait until you either "feel" strong enough, or frustrated enough (you may even feel a dark forboding, oppressiveness, around the edges of your spirit), or, are not "being fed", or, your "peers" in such an assembly, or teaching, "frowns" upon "such inquisitiveness!"

Then? There are those, one might refer to as the "mouthful of well pleasin', and, a handful of MUCH OBLIGED" "snake oil" types! That will cause one to "feel good", as long as you keep "pitching" in the offering plate, whenever, or how many times it's passed during "their session!" These, are referred to as "hirelings!" They are not so much interested in "feeding their flock", as they are in FLEECING the SHEEPS! Doesn't matter to them, if they are chomping down a ribeye, and washing it down with a starbucks, while making you "feel" like your bolonie sammich, and glass of water, is a "meal, fit for a king!" :oops: (p.s....you are being "watched", during "collection times!) Jes "indicitive" of how badly the "spirit of anti-christ", has infiltrated "The Church!"

But, to answer the inquiry of your OP? A RESOUNDING, YES! How else could the "fulness of the gentiles" come to pass, during these last days?

To be sure, however? Enemies of God, mascarading, as "MESSENGERS of Christ", have been in "full tilt boogie", in PREVENTING this from coming to manifestation, since? Well?, Since, Jesus ascended onto the right side of our Heavenly Father! Yea, even before! For, indeed, if this were not the case? There would be no such "critter" as "Traditions of men!" "Which makes VOID, the Word Of God!" If it were true when Christ spoke these words? I ask? Just what has changed, to cause this statement to NOT be true?

(hope these words aid you in your inquiring's)

rlm68

Jul 23, 2018
The Holy Spirit ~is~ God. He is one of the three Persons who make up the Godhead (The Trinity), along with the Father and the Son.

~Deut

..........Acts 13
..........1 There were at Antioch, in the church that was there, prophets and teachers: Barnabas, and Simeon who was
..........called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
..........2 While they were ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for
..........the work to which I have called them.”
..........3 Then, when they had fasted and prayed and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.
..........4 So, being sent out by the Holy Spirit, they went down to Seleucia and from there they sailed to Cyprus.

Since we are the (Bride) of Christ, He (Christ) uses the Holy Spirit to both live within us and to communicate to us. This does not make the Holy Spirit separate and equal to God, it merely means the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God that lives in us and is our live connection to God.

When I accepted Jesus to be my Lord and Savior, He began living within me via the Holy Spirit. So, if Jesus lives within me and we call it the Holy Spirit, it's clear the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God (Jesus), and nothing more.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016

There are always those Christians who claim to have talked with God and how can we know if they are telling the truth? Normally I don't pass on the testimonies of people who say they have heard God's voice, but I think it is OK to relay the following story because it comes from a reliable person:

An ex co-worker of mine -- born of Christian parents -- told me he was a total unbeliever until the day God talked to him. He was all alone in a single engined plane, flying over a range of mountains, and all of a sudden the engine quit. After an unsuccessful restart attempt, and a 360° turn in an also unsuccessful attempt to spot a flat piece of land, he called on the name of the Lord: "God of my parents, if you really exist get me out of this situation".

Immediatelly he heard a voice: "Turn left to heading zero six zero and maintain current gliding speed". He couldn't see why heading 060° was the best course of action, but he knew that the voice was from God and did exactly what he was told to do. The voice vectored him -- in a sequence of turns -- until he was clear of all mountains and could spot a suitable place to set the plane down.

My ex co-worker got converted at the moment he heard God's voice and until today he is a committed Christian who is constantly used by God. He knows very well that liars will not enter heaven and would never make up such a story.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
He does and continues to speak with us. I think an important part of having a relationship with the living God is being able to be told "No."
The word yes is equally important.

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
God is holy spirit. There is not two separate persons in God and holy spirit. God is holy spirit. Jesus was material flesh created by God the creator in the womb of Mary. And indwelt , every atom of his being unto his soul, in that flesh as God. There is only one. Forever and ever.

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
There are always those Christians who claim to have talked with God and how can we know if they are telling the truth? Normally I don't pass on the testimonies of people who say they have heard God's voice, but I think it is OK to relay the following story because it comes from a reliable person:

An ex co-worker of mine -- born of Christian parents -- told me he was a total unbeliever until the day God talked to him. He was all alone in a single engined plane, flying over a range of mountains, and all of a sudden the engine quit. After an unsuccessful restart attempt, and a 360° turn in an also unsuccessful attempt to spot a flat piece of land, he called on the name of the Lord: "God of my parents, if you really exist get me out of this situation".

Immediatelly he heard a voice: "Turn left to heading zero six zero and maintain current gliding speed". He couldn't see why heading 060° was the best course of action, but he knew that the voice was from God and did exactly what he was told to do. The voice vectored him -- in a sequence of turns -- until he was clear of all mountains and could spot a suitable place to set the plane down.

My ex co-worker got converted at the moment he heard God's voice and until today he is a committed Christian who is constantly used by God. He knows very well that liars will not enter heaven and would never make up such a story.
First thing I thought reading that account was, would God say "vector"? Or was his fear so overwhelming that he forgot the local tower could hear transmission from an emergency channel?

I do believe God can guide us out of that kind of trouble though.

As for the priest story, that comports with my mother-in-law's beliefs about Bible. She was gifted an electronic computer Bible for Christmas one year. It was the KJV. She refused! Because it wasn't the official Vatican approved version.

Try to tell her the history of how the Bible was compiled, and that 40 authors, human, contributed to what is today the canon, and she would have nothing to do with it. She worshiped the church. And at the same time she was a lousy human being and mom.
Amazing.

Nov 26, 2012
What kind of father doesn’t talk to his children? The only question I have is how long is He going to have to keep talking before we all shut up and listen?

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
What kind of father doesn’t talk to his children? The only question I have is how long is He going to have to keep talking before we all shut up and listen?
There are over 7 billion people alive on a planet still circling in this solar system. That alone says some of us are paying attention to what he has to say. In any language in which he chooses to speak. ;)

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Hebrews 1:1 ¶ God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Christ the Word incarnate. The word given for us and the Holy Spirit as our teacher.

Settled by the scripture.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Hebrews 1:1 ¶ God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Christ the Word incarnate. The word given for us and the Holy Spirit as our teacher.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

I totally agree with everything you said. But you are "selling the Father short", in your last sentence!

Just as "The Son" is not "The Father", yet, they are the "same Spirit? So it is with (the) "Pressing on, to the "High Calling" of God, "in" Christ Jesus, our Lord and Savior! Where one (how can I say) "gets introduced", to the "God Head!"

Just as Jesus prayed, and thanked His Father, for "those" His Father had "given" Him? After having been "introduced?" Is where, and when one starts, should one not have taken the "Jesus IS "The Father" bait! Set out by the spirit of anti christ, along with other "tare planters" of the "third" that got swept by the "dragon's tale!" Kinda where "The God Head" "weeps", in His disappointment, and displeasure, in His asking and wondering: "Jesus IS "Good!" "Great, even!" "But, I ain't "chopped liver" out here Ya know?" Which makes this "pressing ON", of such necessity!

For by this pressing onwards, one receives the refinements, as silver, and "proofings by fire", as gold! Where the "Temple built without hands" gets erected, even futher. Expanding, and inhabiting, the "many mansions" of abidence that Christ "PREPARED" for us! Meaning, although they are indeed "prepared?" They are not finished! Pressing on, in that which Christ prepared, is up to the individual believer! The MORE pressing? The more "mansions!" Not just for "Jesus and me" :))) But, "The God Head" as well!

Where, one gains "discernments!" Where one "sees" The Father, AND "The son!" As "ONE", but? NOT "one!"

T

theanointedsinner

hi reality, I'm trying to talk to you but I can't hear you

Elisabet

Jul 11, 2015

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Since the Word of God has incarnated and the Scripture now is fully completed, could we say that God no longer talks in the way he talked in the Old Testament (when Jesus hasn't reincarnated and the Scripture hasn't been completed)?