Could someone please explain the concept of 'free will' to me?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 3, 2019
I’m not sure the hate mother and father thing, especially when we are told to honor our mother and father.
Yep, that's what Jesus said. We are to "hate" mother and father, which means "love to a lesser degree" than Him.
Esau was a jerk..like more than Jacob?
Esau despised his birthright and all that it entailed: servant of God, priest of the home, spiritual leader responsible for guiding the family. All he cared about was making indulging his carnal flesh. Conversely, Jacob cherished the honor, but knew it wasn't his, so he sought it through objectionable means.
Does God live us so unconditionally that no one will be thrown into the lake of fire where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth? If the answer is no then God doesn’t love us unconditionally.
We have to remember that God is a God of both love and justice: that's the Bible says His willingness to sacrifice His own Son allows Him to be "both Just and the Justifier of him which believe."

He can satisfy the justice that His broken law demands - which is death to the sinner - but also be merciful to all who put their trust in the sacrifice offered to them.

Lisamn

Dec 29, 2020
Yep, that's what Jesus said. We are to "hate" mother and father, which means "love to a lesser degree" than Him.
Esau despised his birthright and all that it entailed: servant of God, priest of the home, spiritual leader responsible for guiding the family. All he cared about was making indulging his carnal flesh. Conversely, Jacob cherished the honor, but knew it wasn't his, so he sought it through objectionable means.
We have to remember that God is a God of both love and justice: that's the Bible says His willingness to sacrifice His own Son allows Him to be "both Just and the Justifier of him which believe."

He can satisfy the justice that His broken law demands - which is death to the sinner - but also be merciful to all who put their trust in the sacrifice offered to them.
I don’t think He minces words...when He says hate...so, like I said..I’m not sure what it all means.

O sure..He is both a God of love and justice and mercy and grace..etc. However, I wouldn’t call Him a God who loves unconditionally.

Jan 15, 2021
Yes Jesus was fully human and is fully God.

Jesus did die in the flesh for three days but rose on the third day and is sitting at the right hand of the Father as we speak. So He was and is and is to come.

The reason He had to be born human was to be the kinsman redeemer for us. We humans couldn’t be the sacrifice for sins because we couldn’t live a sinless life. But Jesus could being also fully God. Being human..our kinsman..He lived a sinless life therefore without sin He could be sin for all of us and taking on our sins and paying that price..a terrible death on a cross.

Jesus never left His body and took the full force of our punishment upon Himself.

Though one God there are three persons and they each have their different roles. It’s like an egg. An egg is one egg but with three different parts with different roles. Egg white, egg yolk and egg shell three different parts, one egg. That’s the closest we can get to understanding the the trinity.
No, Jesus IS fully human and fully divine.

An egg yolk is not an egg. An egg is an egg. A is A.

'Our punishment'? How did 'we' punish him?

Jan 15, 2021
Sure. When there's no more point to continue loving unconditionally, we can withdraw our affections. Took me years to stop loving my ex unconditionally after she filed for divorce. During the year separation, I kept up a 1.6 million life insurance policy on me and gave her most of my paycheck and all my overtime - around $40,000 or so - and didn't feel the slightest bit bad cause I wanted her to be OK in case I fell out of the bucket truck or got shot in the NOLA murder capital or got hung up in high voltage cables. Now, I hear she needs a knee replacement and all I can say is, oh well, let her boyfriend pay for it LOL
Took you years? Why didn't you decide to stop loving her instantly, since you have free will?

Lisamn

Dec 29, 2020

An egg yolk is not an egg. An egg is an egg. A is A.

'Our punishment'? How did 'we' punish him?
Yes he is...and?

An egg has an egg yolk...still considered to be part of the egg...one egg not three eggs.

We didn’t punish Him...but we are/were depending on if you are or are not a Christian...headed for a punishment for sin...which is the lake of fire where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. Jesus came down from heaven...born human so that he could be the once for all sacrifice for sin.

Aug 3, 2019
My fav preacher says about that, "If you try to explain it you'll lose your mind, but if you refuse to accept it you'll lose your soul."