cutting and pasting pictures...

  • Thread starter Thread starter joefizz
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

joefizz

Guest
I just read all the rules of CC,and it said something about plagiarism concerning pasting pictures,I'm a bit worried now,I've been cutting and pasting the images I like to my posts from sites,because I use a phone and can't upload pictures,was this wrong for me to do or is this still ok for me to do,please tell me!
 
pla·gia·rism/ˈplājəˌrizəm/
noun

the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.
 
pla·gia·rism/ˈplājəˌrizəm/
noun

the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.
well I never use the pictures in such a way that someone will think they are mine,I just use them for silly fun,still I kind of feel like I'm getting the run around can't one of you just plainly say yes or no,if it is wrong to cut and paste pictures?
I mean I took a website class on this sort of thing but that was quite a while back,but I do know that it is not something to kid about.
if I continue to get no answer then I'll just stop posting pictures to be cautious...
 
well I never use the pictures in such a way that someone will think they are mine,I just use them for silly fun,still I kind of feel like I'm getting the run around can't one of you just plainly say yes or no,if it is wrong to cut and paste pictures?
I mean I took a website class on this sort of thing but that was quite a while back,but I do know that it is not something to kid about.
if I continue to get no answer then I'll just stop posting pictures to be cautious...

Of course it is not.
 
Joe, most pictures on the internet are copyrighted, or contain a watermark.. if you want to use images, I suggest you get them from sites that let you use them for free, without having to give any attribution..
 
well I never use the pictures in such a way that someone will think they are mine,I just use them for silly fun,still I kind of feel like I'm getting the run around can't one of you just plainly say yes or no,if it is wrong to cut and paste pictures?
I mean I took a website class on this sort of thing but that was quite a while back,but I do know that it is not something to kid about.
if I continue to get no answer then I'll just stop posting pictures to be cautious...
My goodness, if simply posting a meme on social media is considered plagiarism, then many people on CC and Facebook are in trouble! :eek:
 
Actually, the Law is veeeery fuzzzy even With copyrights.
Facebook for instance owns everything you post according to the "deal" you sign when signing up....
 
I know, but say for example, that you draw a picture and post it on here. It has a watermark and you've expressly said "no free use" for people to use it.. I come along and save the picture, go to a different site and claim it as being my own.. THAT is theft of intellectual property because the picture isn't my own, but I'm claiming it is..


Actually, the Law is veeeery fuzzzy even With copyrights.
Facebook for instance owns everything you post according to the "deal" you sign when signing up....
 
I know, but say for example, that you draw a picture and post it on here. It has a watermark and you've expressly said "no free use" for people to use it.. I come along and save the picture, go to a different site and claim it as being my own.. THAT is theft of intellectual property because the picture isn't my own, but I'm claiming it is..

Well of course, but most of the Pictures posted on here aren't of that kind :)
 
Actually, the Law is veeeery fuzzzy even With copyrights.
Facebook for instance owns everything you post according to the "deal" you sign when signing up....
And if you get to Facebook through google, google have wrights to what you post, picture wize and writing wize.
 
I know. :) But they're SOMEONE's property, whether it's an individual or a corporation. Unless the copyrights and royalties have been forfeited, and the owner gives specific permission for anyone to take and use their photo however they want, then people can't just assume that the picture is free for the taking. They should always check the photo license first..


Well of course, but most of the Pictures posted on here aren't of that kind :)
 
I know. :) But they're SOMEONE's property, whether it's an individual or a corporation. Unless the copyrights and royalties have been forfeited, and the owner gives specific permission for anyone to take and use their photo however they want, then people can't just assume that the picture is free for the taking. They should always check the photo license first..

Yea, but a copyright isn't automatic though. You have to register it somewhere.
... just the thought of that much beureucracy makes me want to sleep :p
 
As far as the law with copyright was before the internet days... In Britain, all you had to do was write this symbol © on the paper you wrote on with your name and no one was allowed to copy it. If you didnt then it was assumed you could. There was no registering or registry of copyright material.
Patent was different where there was a register and it cost money to register an idea and plan etc.