Darby, Dispensationalism and Pre-Trib Rapture.

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Aussie52

Well-known member
Aug 31, 2022
809
872
93
It may or may not interest you to know that prior to 1830, Dispensationalism and a Pre-Tribulation Rapture were not known in the Church world. John Nelson Darby, one of the founders of the Plymouth Brethren Movement, came up with these ideas during a time of rehabilitation after falling off a horse. His dispensationalist and pre-trib rapture views were met with strong opposition from within the Brethren at the time. Brethren like, George Muller, B. W. Newton and S.P. Tregelles adamantly opposed these views, calling them highly speculative. These men believed and preached a Post-Tribulation Rapture. Outside the Brethren, Charles Haddon Spurgeon was very critical of Darby and his novel doctrines.
In the USA, Darby preached his 'new eschatology' in conferences and Churches. While many rejected Darby's view of a 'Church in ruins' and his views on ecclesiastical separation, they embraced his dispensational ideas and his Pre-Trib Rapture. Along came C I Scofield and his Bible, Darby's ideas spread like wildfire, with people not aware of the novelty of it all.
With the Fundamentalist Movement in the early 20th century, Dispensationalism with its Pre-Trib Rapture became the badge of theological orthodoxy. Most Bible Schools and some Theological Seminaries at the time held and taught Darby's theology of the End Times.
Now, in the 21st century, although popular, especially in the US, Dispensationalism with its Pre_Trib Rapture is on the decline with people favoring Amillennialism or Historic Premillennialism with its post -tribulation rapture.
The interesting thing is most people like myself, followed these ideas of Darby without knowing of their dubious origin. Only after discovering the truth, one is driven back to the Bible to find a more Scriptural view of eschatology.
 
I've always heard of Lord Jesus' post-tribulation return when I was young. I only heard about the pre-tribulation false teaching from reading the Great Late Planet Earth around the time I was seeking the Lord and getting know Him, just before I got saved.

When I read about pre-tribulation from that book, it really confused me. A little while later, I started reading the Bible. And the Bible never talks about a pre-tribulation rapture. So even if so many people have fallen for this false teaching, who should I believe? The Bible or popular trends?

I made up my mind to believe the Bible, to believe Jesus when He said He would comes for us on the last day (John 6:39). And pre-tribbers for some strange reason are really driven to bring other people down with them. A lot of them aren't going to make it. Instead of building up their faith to withstand everything that Satan will throw at us to try to make us abandon the Lord Jesus, a lot of them are going to take the mark.


🕊️
 
  • Like
Reactions: JaumeJ and Aussie52
I've always heard of Lord Jesus' post-tribulation return when I was young. I only heard about the pre-tribulation false teaching from reading the Great Late Planet Earth around the time I was seeking the Lord and getting know Him, just before I got saved.

When I read about pre-tribulation from that book, it really confused me. A little while later, I started reading the Bible. And the Bible never talks about a pre-tribulation rapture. So even if so many people have fallen for this false teaching, who should I believe? The Bible or popular trends?

I made up my mind to believe the Bible, to believe Jesus when He said He would comes for us on the last day (John 6:39). And pre-tribbers for some strange reason are really driven to bring other people down with them. A lot of them aren't going to make it. Instead of building up their faith to withstand everything that Satan will throw at us to try to make us abandon the Lord Jesus, a lot of them are going to take the mark.


🕊️
From my early Christian days, I was exposed to the Pre-Trib Rapture doctrine. Nearly everyone believed it, except some Presbyterian friends who were Amillennial. I never doubted it, even in Bible School I stuck to my guns and proclaimed it to be the truth. It is only recently that I had doubts about dispensationalism which, I picked up along the way. Once you begin to dismantle dispensationalism, the Pre-Trib rapture is next to go. The Pre-Trib idea is built on 'inference' not good Bible interpretation. I found the whole Darby history interesting, especially how so many of his fellow Brethren, like the saintly George Muller, opposed the idea of dispensationalism and its particular rapture. Now I understand why F.F. Bruce, the Bible scholar (who was Brethren), disagreed with the whole thing too.
Anyways, as you mentioned, many are in for a shock when the Antichrist appears along with persecution. They just won't be prepared.
Blessings.
 
Nearly all Protestants from the beginning of the Reformation until recent philosophical developments culminating in the "discovery" of dispensationalism in line with Jesuit seeds planted at the beginning of the counter-reformationl appeared on the scene.

The "pre-trib" rapture is in line with Satan's plan to destroy all humanity. The second chance characteristic gives believers a warm fuzzy, no need to repent and seek Jesus now, plenty of time to overcome later.
BUT the Bible says:
[Isa 55:6 KJV] 6 Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:
[Zep 2:3 KJV] 3 Seek ye the LORD, all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought his judgment; seek righteousness, seek meekness: it may be ye shall be hid in the day of the LORD'S anger.
It also says:
[1Pe 3:20 KJV] 20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
[Mat 24:37-39 KJV] 37 But as the days of Noe [were], so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, 39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

How did that second chance work out?
I'll repeat the above verse again,
[1Pe 3:20 KJV] 20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Though the Bible gives more than enough evidence of the historical alignment of prophecy with history most have been conditioned to ignore a clear identification and instead entertain a prophetic sequence which can never happen. They can not even identify the anti-christ though the Bible goes to great lengths to identify the system with great precision.

[2Ti 4:4 KJV] 4 And they shall turn away [their] ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
[Tit 1:14 KJV] 14 Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.
[2Pe 1:16 KJV] 16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

[Jer 8:20 KJV] 20 The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved.
[Rev 22:11 KJV] 11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
 
When reading about the time of tribulation in the last days, I have always found it a blessing to read Revelation and Daniel.
When Daniel is writing about the greatest tribulation eve, he makes mention the those of understanding will be helping others to truth, they will be scattered, and they will have little help.

Nothing here points to Pret rib rapture, nothing.


We already know there is a lake of fire for the condemned, so their punishment is already known. The tribulation is to give one last push for the errant to repent of their ways, but the truly diabolical will be killing, by decapitation, those with understanding whenever it is possible
 
When reading about the time of tribulation in the last days, I have always found it a blessing to read Revelation and Daniel.
When Daniel is writing about the greatest tribulation eve, he makes mention the those of understanding will be helping others to truth, they will be scattered, and they will have little help.

Nothing here points to Pret rib rapture, nothing.


We already know there is a lake of fire for the condemned, so their punishment is already known. The tribulation is to give one last push for the errant to repent of their ways, but the truly diabolical will be killing, by decapitation, those with understanding whenever it is possible

What your are describing here is the closing Gospel message:
[Rev 14:6-8 KJV] 6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, 7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters. 8 And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.
 
A lot of modern day church doctrines have dubious origins.
Much of it fleecing the flock so the wolves in sheep's clothing can go after the lucre.

Scofield got rich from selling copies of his Scofield reference Bible. Follow the money. It's always been the case.

Left Behind books, other 'Christian' merchandise. Hillsongs. Indulgences....'Purpose Driven Church' ...prosperity gospel...
 
When we believe the Messiah, we are become children of Abraham, that is the Father of the Peoples. We are given the faith of Abraham. Simple! Totally True.
 
Mat 24:9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

From the Mouth of our Savior, this is not a pretrib rapture.
 
  • Heart
Reactions: dkontner