Daughter rejected our dating values and our relationship is now strained

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 29, 2019
Hi all, happy to have found an online space for Christian parents, who can hopefully offer some advice.

I’m mom to three kids. My oldest two girls are happily married. It’s my youngest I’ve been heartsick over for a year or so now.

We raised our girls in a church community that emphasizes the importance of purity before marriage. One aspect of this is courting - essentially, when a young man is interested in a young lady, he’ll come to dad to discuss it. From there, they get to know each other with their families and in groups of other couples, all with the ultimate goal of marriage in mind. That’s not to say every couple will end up married, just that casual dating and hookup culture isn’t something we find acceptable.

My older two girls were very happy with this - they lived at home during college and as they began their careers, and moved out once married after courting their husbands. One was a young man we’ve known since childhood, one was a young man she met in a Christian college group.

Our youngest is now almost 20. Just over a year ago, she was in freshman year living at home. She came home one evening and said she was going out. I asked questions and it turned out she was going for a dinner date with a young man she met in class at school. She was meeting him there. I said absolutely not, we argued and she left. She didn’t come back until the next day, and we were obviously worried sick and upset. We told her that and she proceeded to begin to pack her things, tell us a girl she’s met in college had posted a small bedroom in a shared apartment for $300/month and left. She’s been gone since, and according to my other daughter who has her on social media, she’s fully embraced drinking and partying with her roommates and other new friends. She’s been dating another young man (not the one who she went to see that night) for 6 months, and there’s social media photos and captions where they’re obviously sitting in bed together.

Our relationship has been strained as well. She doesn’t call to chat much, and when she does, she’ll rush off the phone at any expression of any disapproval. She doesn’t come to church anymore. The few holidays or dinners she’s brought her boyfriend to, she’s stuck to his side like glue, and flat out said “no, he’s fine” when my husband proposed him and her boyfriend chat man to man in the living room.

I’m at a loss of how to rebuild from here. She seems to have rejected our upbringing and values and is resistant to any discussion of it. Were our standards so unreasonable and awful that moving out literally overnight, when she’d never expressed any unhappiness before, was the solution? Hoping for some wisdom from other parents of young adults.

KhedetOrthos

Dec 13, 2019
It’s clear that she has turned her back on the way that she was raised. She is an adult now at age 20. As far as “why” there could be any number of reasons from being at a secular college where she was told things that caused her to doubt her faith to simply wanting to walk away from the faith.

This is not to say that she won’t hit bottom in a pigsty at some point and come back, but the prodigal must be allowed to fall and hit rock bottom before their eyes will be opened.

My sister (though we weren’t raised in a Christian home) turned her back on all good sense. Unfortunately my parents never allowed her to hit rock bottom and created a cycle in her life where cause and effect were permanent divorced.

The toughest thing for the father of the prodigal to do was to let him walk away. The most important thing for the father of the prodigal to do was to let him walk away.

It may be worth making some inquiries as to why she has chosen this path, but if she persists you has parents do not need to fund her destruction. Quit paying her tuition.

T

TheIndianGirl

It sounds like your daughter has had a bottled-up need for privacy and independence for some time, and wants to fly. She may have a different personality, unlike her two sisters. Is there a way for you and your husband to provide this need? I think the first step is to have a heart to heart talk. I think it is important to continue her education.

Dec 29, 2019
It’s clear that she has turned her back on the way that she was raised. She is an adult now at age 20. As far as “why” there could be any number of reasons from being at a secular college where she was told things that caused her to doubt her faith to simply wanting to walk away from the faith.

This is not to say that she won’t hit bottom in a pigsty at some point and come back, but the prodigal must be allowed to fall and hit rock bottom before their eyes will be opened.

My sister (though we weren’t raised in a Christian home) turned her back on all good sense. Unfortunately my parents never allowed her to hit rock bottom and created a cycle in her life where cause and effect were permanent divorced.

The toughest thing for the father of the prodigal to do was to let him walk away. The most important thing for the father of the prodigal to do was to let him walk away.

It may be worth making some inquiries as to why she has chosen this path, but if she persists you has parents do not need to fund her destruction. Quit paying her tuition.
We do not pay her tuition - she has a scholarship and works to cover the difference, but that’s something she also doesn’t discuss with us.
We obviously love her regardless of anything she chooses, but both her choices and unwillingness to discuss them are causing us such pain, and it’s hurtful that she doesn’t seem to notice or care.

Solemateleft

Honor, Courage, Commitment
Jun 25, 2017
Hi all, happy to have found an online space for Christian parents, who can hopefully offer some advice.

I’m mom to three kids. My oldest two girls are happily married. It’s my youngest I’ve been heartsick over for a year or so now.

We raised our girls in a church community that emphasizes the importance of purity before marriage. One aspect of this is courting - essentially, when a young man is interested in a young lady, he’ll come to dad to discuss it. From there, they get to know each other with their families and in groups of other couples, all with the ultimate goal of marriage in mind. That’s not to say every couple will end up married, just that casual dating and hookup culture isn’t something we find acceptable.

My older two girls were very happy with this - they lived at home during college and as they began their careers, and moved out once married after courting their husbands. One was a young man we’ve known since childhood, one was a young man she met in a Christian college group.

Our youngest is now almost 20. Just over a year ago, she was in freshman year living at home. She came home one evening and said she was going out. I asked questions and it turned out she was going for a dinner date with a young man she met in class at school. She was meeting him there. I said absolutely not, we argued and she left. She didn’t come back until the next day, and we were obviously worried sick and upset. We told her that and she proceeded to begin to pack her things, tell us a girl she’s met in college had posted a small bedroom in a shared apartment for $300/month and left. She’s been gone since, and according to my other daughter who has her on social media, she’s fully embraced drinking and partying with her roommates and other new friends. She’s been dating another young man (not the one who she went to see that night) for 6 months, and there’s social media photos and captions where they’re obviously sitting in bed together.

Our relationship has been strained as well. She doesn’t call to chat much, and when she does, she’ll rush off the phone at any expression of any disapproval. She doesn’t come to church anymore. The few holidays or dinners she’s brought her boyfriend to, she’s stuck to his side like glue, and flat out said “no, he’s fine” when my husband proposed him and her boyfriend chat man to man in the living room.

I’m at a loss of how to rebuild from here. She seems to have rejected our upbringing and values and is resistant to any discussion of it. Were our standards so unreasonable and awful that moving out literally overnight, when she’d never expressed any unhappiness before, was the solution? Hoping for some wisdom from other parents of young adults.
Greetings StressedMomaJay welcome... I pray that you find the guidance that you seek here. I think you will like it here in the cc... Lots of amazingly honest, and gracious, sometimes outspoken and opinionated - but always loving, caring and giving of advice for those who are seeking prayer, friendship, support or just a break from their daily routine...
Your obviously in a very delicate situation, which I suspect will require a significant level of effort to arrive at some form of reconciliation...

While your daughter is almost 20, it is apparent that she is exercising her desire to be respected as her own independent adult self. Which absolutely does not mean that she has all the right answers, although it is likely that she will not be receptive to being told that, or being told what to do.
You and your husband might consider exploring some co-parenting counseling, with the hope of including her if she is willing. Unfortunately, given the current state of affairs I doubt she would be compelled to participate. The benefit of such parenting counsel might provide you a means to help create an atmosphere toward open and improved communication with your daughter.

I wish you the best in finding a path for reconciliation within your family. I pray that you are able to come to a place of acceptance for demonstrating unconditional love for your daughter regardless of her transgressions and regardless of the path she chooses to take in the near-, mid- or long-term.

God Bless

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018

Different people have different needs, wants and desires. Some people need to learn the hard way. Parenting isn't about setting everything in stone, but learning about what works and doesn't work for each individual.
Also its about expecting not every choice your child will make will you approve of.
Clearly your youngest has a different view and personality than her older sisters, thus feels a need to go her own way.

This all sounds fresh and you won't move forward anywhere bring her choices up over and over to criticize and attempt to convince her to change.
Perhaps try loving and accepting your Daughter first and foremost. She knows you don't approve already, no need to reiterate it again and again. This doesn't mean you support her choices, but rather your love for her isn't based off of her works and obedience.
Approaching her this way will yield more opportunities to mend things than constantly being the point of conflict.
If she asks, state your opinion freely, but not attempting to tell her what to do, or should do.

Nothing changed overnight, either. She simply hid what was going on from you.

Ultimately you have to decide if your love is based on obedience or unconditional, then act on whichever and accept the outcome.
Attempting to pressure her to listen will fail and make things worse.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
It is hard to let them go after we have spent years trying to make life as good for them as possible to protect them from harm. The Bible tells us to train up a child the way they should go and when they are older they will not depart from it.

As someone said earlier some of us have to learn the hard way. Unfortunately I was one who traveled that path. I didn't appreciate church until much later in my life, but I did come back. Thank God for people who prayed for me during my hard journey.

She already knows you don't approve and you don't have to drop your standards to fit her life, but you may have to let her go through the experiences. Always let her know that you love her and always pray for her and put her in God's capable hands. He knows what each of us need as He is in the character building business and sometimes hard knocks in life teach us valuable lessons that we might not have learned otherwise.

Sometimes when people make wrong choices they learn from them and never repeat or if a circumstance comes up in their life they have no control over like Joseph in the Bible it was because it was part of God's plan to make things better for others like Josephs family in the future when the famine hit Egypt.

There must be something in your daughter's life that needs to be worked out by the path she has taken but as the prodigal son learned it was not so good to be out on his own and his father was good to the servants so he returned home a broken person, asking forgiveness and humbled from his experience.

So continue to tell her you love her and you know she wants to be on her own for now, but the door is always open if she needs to come home and then continue to pray for here putting her in God's hands trusting Him to help her find her way back to Him, because with God nothing is impossible.

The parent counseling idea for you and your husband sounded good to help you be able to cope while she is on her journey. Prayers for your situation. I did come back to God it took a while and I appreciate Him so much now there is hope.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
She is old enough. Let her live her life. Shes not her sisters and has a right to unfold her own personality and future.
God makes people unique and works in unique ways.
Let God make her her own kind of testimony and be the parent to catch her if she falls and uplift her in prayers...not the one to drag her down and give the enemy a foothold

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
that casual dating and hookup culture isn’t something we find acceptable.

She was meeting him there. I said absolutely not, we argued and she left.

I'd give her space, she obviously wants to make her own decisions without parental permission. Since she's on her own and paying her own way, there isn't much you can do. Its normal for young adults to go through a bit of a rebellious stage, hopefully she won't do anything stupid and is just resisting letting her parents give her boyfriends the third degree. Being old fashion is not cool to her, you taught her what you could, but it doesn't sound like she wants your advise or rules anymore. She's trying to fit in with a new crowd, she's having some fun drinking, partying and dating. You would likely tell her 'No', and that's not something she's willing to comply with. jmo

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
"This is the real world, and often it is hard to accept how our children may change from our own
perception, no matter how they are brought up at home, it's life in the now. We too, were once
young, and done our thing. I have learned, no matter what...never let our love waver for our children,
and, sometimes it is better to listen, than to 'preach' to them. We all shall have to experience life
from our own living it, it works no other way. I thank God for what is, and for what is not...think about it!
~Just my thoughts~ Friendly.png
10349881_374951752665359_5981322052287385681_n - Copy.jpg

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Some chapters in your child's life only God can write. Scripture gives us hope that if we have raised our children for God they will return to God in the end. Some kids always need to learn the hard lessons of life the hard way. All you can do is leave the door open so they can return when they get to the point where they see their foolishness for what it is.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Sometimes we just have to wait quietly on the Lord no matter how painful that can be. We can talk to them, we can get emotional, try to reason or become angry. Prayer for your Daughter is the only thing that can change her heart. Whom knows the creation better than the Creator! I will pray for her and you.

Nov 26, 2012

Many paths can lead to the same destination. My path was not one I’m sure my mother would have picked for me but she is very proud of me now. Luckily you have two daughters who followed your instruction. You definitely beat the odds on that. You did your best and now you need to step back. My children (21,18,16,14) do some really stupid things on a regular basis. Although they do not exemplify the wisdom I hoped to have instilled continually, they all seem to reflect glimpses of lessons taught. As well, their hearts always seem to pour out love (mostly). Young people seeking independence often hate correction. They want to feel empowered not criticized. I say embrace her boyfriend and offer compliments when possible. God accepts us as we are and it because of this we can enter His presence without condemnation. As our relationship with Him strengthens, we resemble Him more and the world less. Perhaps His parenting strategy is a good one to copy.

3angelsmsg

Mar 1, 2018
I agree with all the wise words spoken.

Sadly in society, we have this notion that if everybody does what I want then I am happy. But once, a colleague or member family does the opposite of what I like then conflict arise.

And God uses those opportunities and adverse situations to strengthen our characters to accept, the will of others. And I know, you as mom feels very hurt right now.

But don't forget that all of us are stewards of God. Your daughter ultimately is God's possession and she is God's creation. And as steward we have no possessions. We need to learn where to draw the line and where our responsibility ends.

To love also means to accept. And only love will awaken love. And love does not seek its own. To force will never awake love. Just fear and God similarly does not accept love that is forced. He wants His beings to make intelligent decision to follow Him. Not because they are afraid of going to hell or we are only serving God for what we receive from His hand.

That is wrong reasons.

May you find the peace my dear sister in Jesus Christ.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Hello MamaJay. Welcome to CC! My heart goes out to you, and your youngest daughter, who will hopefully at some point hit bottom in her quest for freedom when she discovers she is a slave to that which hurts her. Sin looks like fun to the unwise and uninitiated. I suggest you prepare for the long haul as she explores her options while acting out in her rebellion. You may have to at least somewhat cut ties with her, to minimize the damage and chaos she could potentially cause in your family if/as she spirals out of control, which is almost guaranteed to happen if she is an alcoholic/addict. This does not mean stop loving her, or caring about her, or praying for her.

I picked up drugs when I was fifteen, and was caught in that lifestyle for twenty four years, after rejecting and rebelling against my relatively strict religious family upbringing. I got clean and sober after crying out (to the God I did not believe in) for help, at the age of 39, and it took ten more years for me to surrender my life to God, which is an ongoing one day at a time process. It has been quite the journey, and I have learned a few things along the way, things that God knew about me all along. He never abandoned me, and when I really needed help, He never failed me. I pray your daughter comes to her senses sooner rather than later, for her sake as well as yours. She is likely running from something she needs to face and come to terms with.

Alessia

Dec 26, 2018
Romania
Accept her choice even if you don't like it and show her love. It's God's job to turn her heart around now.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Accept her choice even if you don't like it and show her love. It's God's job to turn her heart around now.
I have someone in my life that is far from the Lord. Jesus let me know that I am to show kindness, humility, and be a supporter. As much as I want to express my faith with this individual, only God can speak to their very being. We must pray for them.

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
Matthew 19:26

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I have someone in my life that is far from the Lord. Jesus let me know that I am to show kindness, humility, and be a supporter. As much as I want to express my faith with this individual, only God can speak to their very being. We must pray for them.

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
Matthew 19:26

Matthew 19:26b
:)

L

Locoponydirtman

You can remember that she is a human and thus a sinner, and you could treat her as an outreach ministry, or you can love her without enabling her. She is 20 the disapproval talk is over. You can only be a good role model from here.

Dec 30, 2019