Delete Facebook?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

TheIndianGirl

I am considering deleting Facebook. My best friends have either deleted Facebook or are inactive. So it looks like I'm peeking into the lives of people I'm not close to any longer. I do not post often but when I do, people do not comment or "like" my posts. The people who wish me Happy Birthday are not close but I do like the messages.

Anyone regret deleting Facebook?

While I do not keep in touch with many people there I would like to know how certain people are doing. I also have a few people there where we parted in a bad way, but sometimes I have some hope we may reconnect, however because of the way life is we probably will not. I will also lose touch with distant relatives, I do not have their contact info otherwise.

I want to delete so I can "move on" but also feel I'm cutting off people for good. One of my high school best friends connected with me after years on FB this summer; she would have been unable to otherwise. Regardless we are not close anymore.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
During one of my sisters' final times with cancer, she was on FB, so I went to it for her. Since her demise I have ignored fFB completely. I doo am out of contact with disstant and close relatives but I was for decades long before FB.

No regrets. Actually I would love to see FB closed permanently. Too much meddling.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
I am probably one of the few people who like Facebook, lol. I like getting notice of people's birthdays. I like being able to send well wishes, see people's happy announcements and being able to pray for the tough times. I did a lot of travel about 10 years ago and made some lovely friends from many different countries. Through Facebook I have been able to keep in touch, see photos and keep up with life events. I am part of three different writing groups through Facebook, be part of a private page for my church. When I post I have some general guidelines. I want it to either be an encouragement, make people laugh, make them go wow or be something of beauty. Just this week my mom, sister and niece went on a small trip to a local oceanside cottage. I was able to get photos and read updates through Facebook.
For myself, whether it is updates from family or friends, crafts, recipes, workshops, encouragements, laughter or beautiful photographs, I enjoy it. I follow pages that interest me like favourite artists, and a community of people who do slow stitching. There is so much to learn from pressure cooking to
I do limit who I have on my friends list as I consider who I want to have access to my life. There is nothing wrong with making sure your friends are people who encourage you and share your values.
If you want to start over you can close your account and open a new one with a new name like your first and middle name rather than your first and last. It is also a good security measure.
These are just my thoughts.

Nao

Jun 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Delete it. I haven't had any regret since i deleted my account more than 3 years ago... before doing it i was really sad and scared because i was too sorry to lose so many contacts and attenctions but guess what? I've never been so good. Facebook is rubbish unto our spirits full of gossip, backbiting, envy, selfishness, vanity and sooooooooo on. As you said, one of the things that bothers you or makes you think is not receive like or comments... this is the research of attentions, being cool because you receive likes.... think about it, do you really need this kind of attention from a social media? or maybe is better to open the eyes and say: i don't want this rubbish!
I tried to do it short.

Greetings

L

lenna

facebook is whatever you make of it, much like life itself

Mar 4, 2020
I am considering deleting Facebook. My best friends have either deleted Facebook or are inactive. So it looks like I'm peeking into the lives of people I'm not close to any longer. I do not post often but when I do, people do not comment or "like" my posts. The people who wish me Happy Birthday are not close but I do like the messages.

While I do not keep in touch with many people there I would like to know how certain people are doing. I also have a few people there where we parted in a bad way, but sometimes I have some hope we may reconnect, however because of the way life is we probably will not. I will also lose touch with distant relatives, I do not have their contact info otherwise.

I want to delete so I can "move on" but also feel I'm cutting off people for good. One of my high school best friends connected with me after years on FB this summer; she would have been unable to otherwise. Regardless we are not close anymore.
FB is a data mining operation. What you share through your profile becomes their property. By data aggregation, they actually do build virtual databases of demographic data of individuals and use their for their end goal of making money through selling your data to third parties and targeted advertisements.

They also use "fact checkers" to tell people which shared content is true or false, according to them. They are the judge and jury of what the so called "correct narrative" is and therefore promote a particular agenda while censoring dissenting voices, even innocent statements. Basically, it is part of the Propaganda Machine proper.

At minimum, you should set your privacy settings to maximum and try to delete "too much" personally identifiable information off of your profile.

At maximum, delete the account and tell your friends you're available through phone, email, or in person.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018

If we restructure your own words more plainly this is what you said...
Fb is full of people I no longer talk to, and not likely I ever will again.
The only thing you're hanging on to is a hope in something you said yourself you don't believe is ever going to happen.
Now that the sentiment and wishful thinking has been taken out of your words and the facts are all that remain, has it become more clear?

It makes me think of a person in a dead relationship that doesn't want to leave because it was good a long time ago. So rather than move forward and making new memories in a new chapter of life they remain stagnant clinging to memories of what was.

And my response is based off of Your words, not my opinion on fb. I use fb, but sometimes we hold on to things that hold us back.

Aug 16, 2020
I honestly would not be using Facebook if it wasn’t for the fact I run a Pokemon league, and having made a Facebook page has helped me to post league news and for people to find my league. Plus, I did find a job opportunity cause I follow the Play! Pokémon groups out in the city near me, I didn’t get the job but he said he would contact me when he has more job opportunities come up, only reason I wasn’t hired is because I’m too far away, which I’m calling “Distance Discrimination”...to try to laugh about it cause it was sad I didn’t get the job.

But besides that, since people that hire other people might look at what you post, and Facebook overall is just “overrated” and they silence who they don’t like, everyone is better off staying away from Facebook. I hardly post on there and if I do, it’s nerd stuff, lol. Only social media I’ve used for a good chunk of my life is Instagram, but even now I’ve been using it less, I only keep it to keep in touch with people I still consider online friends and my stepbrothers.

Aug 19, 2020
I regret my friends deleting facebook. Now I can't talk to them or see how they're doing. They basically cut me out of their lives without warning. They may have done it to improve their lives but don't seem to care how it's affected my life or our relationship.

T

TheIndianGirl

I regret my friends deleting facebook. Now I can't talk to them or see how they're doing. They basically cut me out of their lives without warning. They may have done it to improve their lives but don't seem to care how it's affected my life or our relationship.
This is how I feel a bit as well, my close friends have left FB or have become inactive. Now I'm following the lives of basically strangers, so I don't see the point.

I think if you were already not communicating with people on facebook, there wasn't a relationship to begin with.

Why don't you communicate your friends via email or text?

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
I don’t mind Facebook. I ignore the posts that don’t edify me. I like reading what other people post that uplift. I post my brush lettering, which is usually bible verses. From time to time, I post videos of me singing. I use the messenger to chat with my dad since he doesn’t have a cell phone for texting, although I can just call the house to talk with my parents lol.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
just contact the people that you most want to know how they doing, say you are leaving FB and can they just email or phone/txt you or write to keep in touch. Leave them YOUR contacts.

Then delete it.

I dont think its that hard to do if YOU make the effort to connect.

F

Fundamental

Problem with those channels is, they gather every information about you to share it with companies. Our gathered information is being sold. Do we get a share in that? Nope! We are consumers they influence to their wants. Making us think we want it while it would never come up naturally in the first place.

If we would read what policies we agree into before using our social media platforms, it’s quite disturbing.

Also it’s quite annoying to hear of other people how many likes they gathered or not. We go out for diner, people start taking pictures of their plate and post it on social media. What I have to do to get my kids offline before entering the diner table, it’s absurd.
All the checking into eachothers lives is making them having not a life anymore.

My household and the current way of business is even making me to consider to throw the internet out. But my kids have thrown “boomer” so often at me already this might cause new pet names. As I reflect to my younger self, I would look at myself today as a grumpy old mean man (not 40 yet though).

But it’s either God or this world. Why would we even want the world to like us? Why would we even share pictures of ourselves in a world full of pedo maniacs having all the protection needed while concerned citizens are being condemned and even arrested?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Here we go again... "Facebook is great!" versus "Facebook is eeeeeevil! AVOID THE EVIL!"

Facebook is a tool. If you don't need it, don't use it. If it is useful to you, use it. If you want to use it but you're not willing to pay the price, them collecting data on what you do online, don't use it.

And about the data collection - they gotta make a profit somehow. Remember Geocities? Geocities proved something can be incredibly cool and still not make enough money to stay in operation.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
For the record I don't use it. It doesn't do anything I need done. My dad finds it indispensable for keeping in touch with some friends in Washington (state.)

Mar 4, 2020
This conversation comes up a lot because there are some rather sinister subsurface level qualities to FB that aren't immediately apparent. I think people should be warned that there is a dangerous undertow present before jumping in the water. At least this way people can make a more informed decision with how their identity will be marketed to the highest paying bidder.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
Another reason I don’t mind Facebook is it helps me to pray for people. Many post prayer requests, and the moment I read it, I pray because chances are I may not remember later.

F

Fundamental

Here we go again... "Facebook is great!" versus "Facebook is eeeeeevil! AVOID THE EVIL!"

Facebook is a tool. If you don't need it, don't use it. If it is useful to you, use it. If you want to use it but you're not willing to pay the price, them collecting data on what you do online, don't use it.

And about the data collection - they gotta make a profit somehow. Remember Geocities? Geocities proved something can be incredibly cool and still not make enough money to stay in operation.
Honestly, who really needs it? And what good are we with companies selling off our information? Was China a third party? I can’t think of any good coming out of it.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
FB is an american invention.
I mean unless you on wechat or tiktok something, you dont need to worry about Chinese govt survelience.

FB is full of people posting US political stuff even when they dont live in the US. it has ads for weird US companies even if you dont live there. Im like...I dont need a t shirt with my name on it going to some random US entrepeneur wanting to make a buck off me sorry FB.