Deppression?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

pwlos

What is God's will? How do I know what is His will?

G

greatkraw

Hellooo Thanks everyone for the advice and the encouragement. I reallly appreciate it! It gives me encouragement especially for those of you who gave me bible verses to look up to the Lord my deppression is chronic and i have tried to fight it through but i know that the Lord can help me i think i have deppression because i feel worthless and insecure and just like i dont know what to do with life
General Anxiety Disorder has a symptom of feeling worthless. Insecurity is fear.
I am appreciating this post because I am getting an opportunity to clarify things. I was discussing anxious people with my pastor the other night and I had to remind him that we(most blokes) hardly know what it is to be overwhelmed by negative (or any)emotion.

Once the five things are dealt with ie Guilt, Shame, Fear, Discontent, Grief.
any huge emotion left has no justification.

Yes, I know it is real but this is where we need to talk to ourselves(and let the Bible talk to us) that the reality is far above the emotion. Let the FACTS get in charge of the FEELINGS. I have no doubt there are Bible verses along these lines.
Maybe someone can find some.

G

greatkraw

What is God's will? How do I know what is His will?
How do you know what God wants?

How do you know what anyone wants.

Get to know Him.

Delight yourself in the Lord. (it doesn't say TRY to)
And He will give you your hearts desire. (This has 2 meanings);)

F

FixYourWeave

General Anxiety Disorder has a symptom of feeling worthless. Insecurity is fear.
I am appreciating this post because I am getting an opportunity to clarify things. I was discussing anxious people with my pastor the other night and I had to remind him that we(most blokes) hardly know what it is to be overwhelmed by negative (or any)emotion.

Once the five things are dealt with ie Guilt, Shame, Fear, Discontent, Grief.
any huge emotion left has no justification.

Yes, I know it is real but this is where we need to talk to ourselves(and let the Bible talk to us) that the reality is far above the emotion. Let the FACTS get in charge of the FEELINGS. I have no doubt there are Bible verses along these lines.
Maybe someone can find some.

I have an anxiety disorder, i also have post tramatic stress disorder. What can i say, im crazy. Anyways, ive read your posts, and i agree with you on all of it.

S

sunshine_debbie

I have suffered from severe depression and anxiety this last two weeks. I have suffered from general anxiety, depression and PTSD for my entire life. In the past I have always been able to function. I went to work, I cleaned my house, I took care of my children, I went to school and I attended all my childrens activities. It was hard, but through sheer strength of will I was able to do all those things.

Until this time....

Maybe God was giving me warnings all along, trying to tell me in little explosions of anxiety and depression to get my spiritual house in order and forget about my physical house. Maybe I should have listened.

But I didnt...

I have finally come to the point where I realize that God is going to get me back to him one way or another. Pickles said God cares more about my character then my comfort and she was right. Greatkaw has been an immense support of understanding and listening and even getting impatient a little with my wallowing. But I have received help here, and support, and Gods word, and most of all PRAYER.

Now the difficult part....

I am starting to feel better, I have some new medications, the old medications are flushed out of my system. I am not 100% and maybe I never will be. But be assured that God did answer all those prayers. All of your sincere and thoughtful prayers. And even my whining, pathetic, self-pitying prayers where I had to tell God to look into my heart because no words would come to sufficiently explain my agony. So now I am (with God's help) on the road to recovery. But here is where it always gets hard. This is when I turn into pseudochristian. I mean the crisis is over right? Things are looking up. But I am scared that I am going to lose the relationship with God that I have forged in this time of great trouble. I know that it seems ridiculous to say, but I am scared that without the fear and depression at its absolute worst, I will go back to being a surface Christian who attends church sometimes, listens to Christian music sometimes, dusts her Bible out of respect but never reads it, and tries hard not to commit any "overt" sins.

I need prayer now more then before....

I dont know why I am saying this. But the thought of losing the grace of God that I have found in my life is worse then being anxious and depressed. Its worse then death, its worse then anything.

Debbie

G

greatkraw

I have suffered from severe depression and anxiety this last two weeks. I have suffered from general anxiety, depression and PTSD for my entire life. In the past I have always been able to function. I went to work, I cleaned my house, I took care of my children, I went to school and I attended all my childrens activities. It was hard, but through sheer strength of will I was able to do all those things.

Until this time....

Maybe God was giving me warnings all along, trying to tell me in little explosions of anxiety and depression to get my spiritual house in order and forget about my physical house. Maybe I should have listened.

But I didnt...

I have finally come to the point where I realize that God is going to get me back to him one way or another. Pickles said God cares more about my character then my comfort and she was right. Greatkaw has been an immense support of understanding and listening and even getting impatient a little with my wallowing. But I have received help here, and support, and Gods word, and most of all PRAYER.

Now the difficult part....

I am starting to feel better, I have some new medications, the old medications are flushed out of my system. I am not 100% and maybe I never will be. But be assured that God did answer all those prayers. All of your sincere and thoughtful prayers. And even my whining, pathetic, self-pitying prayers where I had to tell God to look into my heart because no words would come to sufficiently explain my agony. So now I am (with God's help) on the road to recovery. But here is where it always gets hard. This is when I turn into pseudochristian. I mean the crisis is over right? Things are looking up. But I am scared that I am going to lose the relationship with God that I have forged in this time of great trouble. I know that it seems ridiculous to say, but I am scared that without the fear and depression at its absolute worst, I will go back to being a surface Christian who attends church sometimes, listens to Christian music sometimes, dusts her Bible out of respect but never reads it, and tries hard not to commit any "overt" sins.

I need prayer now more then before....

I dont know why I am saying this. But the thought of losing the grace of God that I have found in my life is worse then being anxious and depressed. Its worse then death, its worse then anything.

Debbie
Did you know the opposite of fear is Love?

'Perfect love casts out fear'

Choose to tell your emotions what to feel; do not let your emotions tell you how to think. Lean totally on Him. I could quote a bunch of verses but you have already heard them all.

(My cat just jumped up on me. He is not hungry or anything. He just wants ATTENTION NOW lol)
xxx

M

mrssecretofyah

yes i know there is 1 true god. please take my saying within the realm of christian beliefs. the bible says there are many gods...so dont act as if i were advocating the existance of other gods. really you seem to have spoken without knowledge of the bible. numerous times it mentions gods. Thou shalt have no OTHER gods before me. you are speaking on a kindergarten level.please read these
exo 18:11, 20:23, 23:13 23:24 23:32 23:33 1cor 8:5-6 I BELIVE THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD.

B

BobbyJoe

Looking at the situation from one perspective is that you are more than worthy for you are encouraging me to dive deeper into my self and the bible for answers to lifes problems.
Anytime you seek oppinions from others it shows a good sign of maturity and flexibility.
You have gained a lot in life by sharing; for in doing so you learn and we learn as well .

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for stirring me up into felling better about myself; knowing that there are people like you out there that are bold enough to reach out for others. That is what life is about, i guess! helping hands. Helping one another . Thanks again may God bless you and anoint yu for future help for others reaching out .

G

greatkraw

Looking at the situation from one perspective is that you are more than worthy for you are encouraging me to dive deeper into my self and the bible for answers to lifes problems.
Anytime you seek oppinions from others it shows a good sign of maturity and flexibility.
You have gained a lot in life by sharing; for in doing so you learn and we learn as well .

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for stirring me up into felling better about myself; knowing that there are people like you out there that are bold enough to reach out for others. That is what life is about, i guess! helping hands. Helping one another . Thanks again may God bless you and anoint yu for future help for others reaching out .
yes.............................

Apr 13, 2007
yes i know there is 1 true god. please take my saying within the realm of christian beliefs. the bible says there are many gods...so dont act as if i were advocating the existance of other gods. really you seem to have spoken without knowledge of the bible. numerous times it mentions gods. Thou shalt have no OTHER gods before me. you are speaking on a kindergarten level.please read these
exo 18:11, 20:23, 23:13 23:24 23:32 23:33 1cor 8:5-6 I BELIVE THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD.
Well, excuse me, but you are the one that spoke without knowledge...or respect. I know what the Bible says, I don't know the whole thing, but I know more than most my age do...I've been told. Maybe I misread something, considering I was very exhausted, as I am right now. I haven't slept but very, very, very little the past 48 hours or so. I'm sorry if something was read wrong or whatever, however, you have no right at all to say that I have no knowledge of the Bible, which is what you were implying when you said ''you seem to have spoken without knowledge of the bible''. You don't know me, so do not label, judge, or anything else. Again I apologize for the misreading, misunderstanding, whatever happened. I can't be totally upbeat with such little sleep. No one's perfect either. Anyhow, God bless.

R

Renee49

PWLOS, first let me say that I am no expert, on anything. I also have had some big ups and down in my life. I have worked really hard to find my way, I have read alot, visited the Dr, alot, been in a few groups, Etc. Etc. Etc. I have spent some time fighting my Meds. and now I have come to believe that I simply must follow my Dr. orders, and take them. besides that I must Eat well, sleep well and excersise. this takes alot of disapline and seems like too much work sometimes, but all in all it is really what needs to be done. The last step in my growth is my walk with god, I am having a bit of a problem surrendering, but I have had times when It was easier and more convincing. In otherwords my Faith was stronger. At this moment this is how I look at it...........Now one ever ever said it would be easy (LIFE) but it is our responsibilty to work til we can hear our lord or feel his presence, or something happens to make us realize that it all adds up. I am proud of you for reaching out and asking for help, keep asking and keep working......don't for get to pat yourself on the back each time you are responsible to yourself.
Blessings
renee

H

HeatherJones

Ok I am going to get very personal and tell something I haven't told anyone before in the hope that God can use it to help others struggling with depression. I have been a christian most of my life but just a sunday christian who prayed when they need help. I also struggled with depression since I was 5 years old and started huffing gas and fumes. From the time I was 5 until 12 I was sexaully abused. Even though I was raised in a house with unconditional love, because of the shame, anger, resentment, and unworthiness I felt I was always on the edge of a deep dark hole. It also had a hand in ruining my marriage, I thought I had to be perfect to be worthy of love so couldn't admitt when I was wrong and always had to act perfect so my husband would think I was worth loving. This had a totally different affect on my hubby, he made him feel less than. Bad cycle, add to that pain meds from reoccuring nerve tumors, husbands affair and leaving me for an 18 year old, and taking my kids from me because I had a break down. I cried out to God that if He wanted me to live he would have to do something and downed two bottles of my meds. Husband called for I have no idea why and heard my voice slurr and called 911. It took God two more months but He got me to a place where I was able to let go of all the bad stuff, God just wiped my heart clean. My core emotion used to be anger to the point people would just look at my face and cross the street, now people stop me just to talk, total strangers because they sense the change. God filled me with His love and it overflows to everyone around me. I used to think that what happened to me as a kid had nothing to do with who I was, I just didnt think about it or deal with it. But those emotions stayed with me for 28 years until ONE night on my knees with God, He showed me the way. I wish someone would have told me about this years ago, if would have saved myself and my family a lot of pain, but I know he has a plan for my life and I cant wait for it to get there so I can see the great things He will do.

I hope someone reads this who has those emotions buried deap and I pray that you hit your knees and let God do in one night what the world couldnt do in 10 years, heal your soul.

Heather

PS it is a lot more common than people like to think, 80% of my female family members and close friends have been sexaully abused or raped by 18. A largr number of guys to they just dont tell anyone.

S

sunshine_debbie

Ok I am going to get very personal and tell something I haven't told anyone before in the hope that God can use it to help others struggling with depression. I have been a christian most of my life but just a sunday christian who prayed when they need help. I also struggled with depression since I was 5 years old and started huffing gas and fumes. From the time I was 5 until 12 I was sexaully abused. Even though I was raised in a house with unconditional love, because of the shame, anger, resentment, and unworthiness I felt I was always on the edge of a deep dark hole. It also had a hand in ruining my marriage, I thought I had to be perfect to be worthy of love so couldn't admitt when I was wrong and always had to act perfect so my husband would think I was worth loving. This had a totally different affect on my hubby, he made him feel less than. Bad cycle, add to that pain meds from reoccuring nerve tumors, husbands affair and leaving me for an 18 year old, and taking my kids from me because I had a break down. I cried out to God that if He wanted me to live he would have to do something and downed two bottles of my meds. Husband called for I have no idea why and heard my voice slurr and called 911. It took God two more months but He got me to a place where I was able to let go of all the bad stuff, God just wiped my heart clean. My core emotion used to be anger to the point people would just look at my face and cross the street, now people stop me just to talk, total strangers because they sense the change. God filled me with His love and it overflows to everyone around me. I used to think that what happened to me as a kid had nothing to do with who I was, I just didnt think about it or deal with it. But those emotions stayed with me for 28 years until ONE night on my knees with God, He showed me the way. I wish someone would have told me about this years ago, if would have saved myself and my family a lot of pain, but I know he has a plan for my life and I cant wait for it to get there so I can see the great things He will do.

I hope someone reads this who has those emotions buried deap and I pray that you hit your knees and let God do in one night what the world couldnt do in 10 years, heal your soul.

Heather

PS it is a lot more common than people like to think, 80% of my female family members and close friends have been sexaully abused or raped by 18. A largr number of guys to they just dont tell anyone.

I know how common it is, your life (with a few exceptions) could be my life, only add in a prescription pill junkie for a mother, a Baptist minister for a father (who was also the child rapist) and four younger sisters to raise. I have been struggling with deep, deep depression for about a month now added to severe anxiety. Sometimes I feel ok, sometimes I feel HORRIBLE, like tonight. I will pray for you, because in a sense I AM you. I have been exactly where you have been. Right now, this moment, I feel good, really good in fact. I am not going to worry about tommorrow when I will feel lousy again. I am going to stay awake and enjoy this feeling of good for as long as I possibly can. And church tommorrow!!!!!!!! - with all my prayers and love and understanding

Debbie

H

HeatherJones

I dont get depressed anymore, I have moments when I lose faith for a short time until God snaps me back but I haven't been depressed in months. My life is not very great right now, I should be depressed but I have a peace beyond all understanding. A peace only God can give. He is amazing. Praise God.
Heather

D

diago

watch some of anthony robins vidios on you tube! he is a master of human phschology! My brother was suffrering from depression, he came to church and the paster prophecied to the crowd jesse felt like it was him he was talking about! He still didnt go up the front for prayer but my mate prayed for him and it all went away!

D

diago

Ive got a technique i use for when life is crap! Just say yes to everything! not do everything but just say "yes" ok this is crap and its fine if its crap! When you fight it you use up energy! Try it! it really works! its just such a relief to know that everything will be ok! You can handle it!

G

godsbride

Helloo

to anybody who is willing to read or at least help, i dont know what to do with my life

i have suffered from deep deppression since i was a child and i feel utterly hopeless i feel like all my energy is drained and i lack self confidence and trouble feeling like i can relate to anybody i feel suicidal most of the time and i dont know i feel like there is no purpose in life what should i do?
fisrt i would pray pray for faith that god will show you his purpose in life you have one i promise you have a very big purpose on this earth
hop i helped god bless

May 4, 2009
Pwlos: You're saved now, so that should go away. Maybe not all at once, but it will in time. believe me, I struggled for years after I got saved with issues of depression and suicidal thoughts and all that. I'll be praying.
Then why has it gone away for me? I've been saved since I was like 8 or 9, though I'm not suicidaly depressed but still depressed.

Apr 13, 2007
Then why has it gone away for me? I've been saved since I was like 8 or 9, though I'm not suicidaly depressed but still depressed.
If you'll read everything, I said it didn't all go away at once. It took years, I mean years. It took my part, and getting to where Christ wants me to be with Him. It also takes a different attitude and outlook on life. You have a very,very negative outlook on everything from the post you've put up. Each person grows and matures in Christ differently, and at different paces. Each situation is different, it depends on what started the depression and things. We have victory in Jesus, and He already overcame the world, He told us that. Maybe you just think you're saved. I know when I was younger, I thought I was saved, I was totally sure of it. Until one day, when I was 15, and I was in a revival service, God told me different.Re-examine things, and maybe you are saved, I don't know, I can't judge. Maybe you're saved though, however, you aren't where you should be with God. I could sit around and just whine, pout, cry, feel self-pity, etc. all I wanted over how life has been and done me. Being abandoned by parents, being depressed, suicidal, alone, hated, rejected, denied, disowned, losing my best friend, finding my aunt dead, nothing but deaths for a year straight, being made fun of, teased, etc. in school because of how life was for me...the list is endless. I don't though, it does no good. Rather than say ''man life sucks, there's no point, I want to die, I shouldn't be here, why did they all get out so easily and yet I'm stuck here? How come others have a special someone in their life,and I don't?'' It doesn't matter, when you have Christ, and you're where HE wants you to be with Him, then everything makes perfect sense. You get out of that negative lifestyle and attitude that has been carried around all your life.