depression advice

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

umzza

Jan 10, 2015
I was wondering if anybody has any advice on depression. I have had waves of depression since I was eight/nine, maybe earlier. I have trouble connecting with people and keeping friendships. I am trying to go to school but my motivation is really low. Are there any self-care things that you guys do that are helpful in dealing with the low motivation, pain from loss of friendships, pain from deaths, and just generally feeling hopeless like there's no long-term relief from the pain?

Pumpkinspice

Sep 22, 2018
Yes. I told this to my therapist and she seemed ok with it. So I take pain killers like ibuprofen 600mg. Because I consider any pain as PAIN. And it works. Idk what i’d do without it.

umzza

Jan 10, 2015
Yes. I told this to my therapist and she seemed ok with it. So I take pain killers like ibuprofen 600mg. Because I consider any pain as PAIN. And it works. Idk what i’d do without it.
Just taking the ibuprofen helps? I may try this.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
If the depression is chronic you should probably see your doctor.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Hey I understand. I think most ppl get down, once in awhile. I think things like this are important. First though, I love those like demi and Maxwell who can keep it succinct. I clearly, lol, struggle in that area.

Here goes..

Pray and read the word
Listen to good uplifting gospel music
Get out for a walk
Get good sleep
Don't sit and nurture negative thinking, find what's lovely.
Faith it until you make it
Talk to others about it, reach out (you are good at that)
Find a way to serve and help others, it gets your mind off of your struggles and can give some healthy perspectives.
Forgive yourself and others
Eat healthy most of the time but splurge too, balance is good.
Walk through the sadness, but then put it down at His feet. Exodus 14:14.
Remember He is the lifter of our heads. So always go back to Him.

If you are being proactive and taking healthy steps and still you are feeling no shift, don't beat yourself up. He can use that too, but first consider seeking professional help. You deserve to feel better, to keep walking in His victory.

I'm praying for you and God Bless. Remember this, we all need Him desperately, all of us need His help for growth and grace.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Hey I understand. I think most ppl get down, once in awhile. I think things like this are important. First though, I love those like demi and Maxwell who can keep it succinct. I clearly, lol, struggle in that area.

Here goes..

Pray and read the word
Get out for a walk
Get good sleep
Find a way to serve and help others, it gets your mind off of your struggles and can give some healthy perspectives.

If you are being proactive and taking healthy steps and still you are feeling no shift, don't beat yourself up. He can use that too, but first consider seeking professional help. You deserve to feel better, to keep walking in His victory.

I'm praying for you and God Bless. Remember this, we all need Him desperately, all of us need His help for growth and grace.
Awwww u make me feel special xxx huuugs

Sep 13, 2018
I was wondering if anybody has any advice on depression. I have had waves of depression since I was eight/nine, maybe earlier. I have trouble connecting with people and keeping friendships. I am trying to go to school but my motivation is really low. Are there any self-care things that you guys do that are helpful in dealing with the low motivation, pain from loss of friendships, pain from deaths, and just generally feeling hopeless like there's no long-term relief from the pain?

Sorry for your troubles. What I suggested to my son was to stop focusing so much on himself and what he thinks would make him happy. ( I think that he was just bored) To get out and focus on others less fortunate then he. Spend a day working at a soup kitchen. work with the mentally challenged. Once he started to focus on others (and not be so self absorbed) He not only met people who were doing the same, he not only Gained a new perspective on life. He made life long friends!...( It's worth a try don't you think?)

D.V.

Nov 12, 2018

Here goes..

Pray and read the word
Get out for a walk
Get good sleep

I agree with things said here. I also suggest,a new day,a new thing. Exercise is a natural mood booster. Try it. 🤗.

umzza

Jan 10, 2015
If the depression is chronic you should probably see your doctor.
I'mm afraid to go to the doctor. Like I might start crying or something and it would be really awkward idk. I'm not sure if I'm on insurance or not still either.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I was wondering if anybody has any advice on depression.
1. To avoid depression believe that every problem has a solution. And then act on that belief. Write down your problem, and then brainstorm to list all possible solutions.
I have had waves of depression since I was eight/nine, maybe earlier.
2. Let go of the past and focus on the future. You are now an adult, so you do not have to give in to depression (no matter what the circumstances are).
I have trouble connecting with people and keeping friendships.
3. Believe that you can make friends if you put your mind to it. Approach just one person who you think could be a friend and invite him or her for coffee.
I am trying to go to school but my motivation is really low.
4. Going to school is not a solution. What is your end game? What is your ultimate objective? College education is not all it is cracked up to be. First decide what you want to achieve in life, then write out a plan (which may or may not included college or university).
Are there any self-care things that you guys do that are helpful in dealing with the low motivation, pain from loss of friendships, pain from deaths, and just generally feeling hopeless like there's no long-term relief from the pain?
5. Self-care should be replaced by God's care. There is no hopelessness for those who know that they are saved and will ultimately be glorified.

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
Ibuprofen isn't an anti-depressant, its for physical pain, just like acetaminophen.. When your feeling hopeless and unmotivated, don't dwell on what's wrong, focus on what you want to achieve and force yourself forward. People often get into a negative pattern of thinking that gets them down, try to alter your outlook and overcome yourself... Diet and lifestyle can also effect your disposition, throw yourself into activities you might enjoy or things that your passionate about, and try eating and drinking things that stimulate your metabolism... jmo

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
At the state you have reached, you need to see a doctor. Find out if you have health care. If you don't or can't work, there must be a health care plan you can apply for. Or, go to a free clinic or even pay for it!

You need this!

Sometimes, depression is a spiritual issue. But sometimes it is about the neurotransmitters in the brain not working. If your leg was badly broken, and you posted for advice, I am sure everyone would be telling you to go to the hospital right now. For some reason, when you post you are depressed, they want it to be all spiritual!

I get Seasonal Affective Disorder in the winter. Up in Canada, we don't get a lot of sun, maybe 7 hours where I am now, 6 where I used to live. My brain doesn't work properly, so I take a bit of antidepressant for a few months, then, when the days get longer and sunnier, it is just gone. All through that period, I read my Bible and pray. I go to church, and participate in ministry in my church. As everyone should! But it doesn't make the SAD go away, because it is not a spiritual issue. It's sad that people who do not understand depression seem to think they are experts in it!

Anyway, please see a doctor. Once you are feeling better, it will be much easier to do some of these life style ideas people have talked about.

umzza

Jan 10, 2015
Ibuprofen isn't an anti-depressant, its for physical pain, just like acetaminophen.. When your feeling hopeless and unmotivated, don't dwell on what's wrong, focus on what you want to achieve and force yourself forward. People often get into a negative pattern of thinking that gets them down, try to alter your outlook and overcome yourself... Diet and lifestyle can also effect your disposition, throw yourself into activities you might enjoy or things that your passionate about, and try eating and drinking things that stimulate your metabolism... jmo
I feel like you just called me fat 😂😂😂

umzza

Jan 10, 2015
At the state you have reached, you need to see a doctor. Find out if you have health care. If you don't or can't work, there must be a health care plan you can apply for. Or, go to a free clinic or even pay for it!

You need this!

Sometimes, depression is a spiritual issue. But sometimes it is about the neurotransmitters in the brain not working. If your leg was badly broken, and you posted for advice, I am sure everyone would be telling you to go to the hospital right now. For some reason, when you post you are depressed, they want it to be all spiritual!

I get Seasonal Affective Disorder in the winter. Up in Canada, we don't get a lot of sun, maybe 7 hours where I am now, 6 where I used to live. My brain doesn't work properly, so I take a bit of antidepressant for a few months, then, when the days get longer and sunnier, it is just gone. All through that period, I read my Bible and pray. I go to church, and participate in ministry in my church. As everyone should! But it doesn't make the SAD go away, because it is not a spiritual issue. It's sad that people who do not understand depression seem to think they are experts in it!

Anyway, please see a doctor. Once you are feeling better, it will be much easier to do some of these life style ideas people have talked about.
Idk I want to but I’m afraid of some things. I think if I wait until I finish school and have a better job then maybe idk.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Umzza, please read my depression and suicide testimonies, and check out my faith book.. :)

Just click the link in my signature below..