Depression

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ankagirl

Feb 10, 2021
If I am a christian, why do I feel depressed.

I wish life could be easy. God lets us suffer so much and my friend suffers. I thought god was kind. Why?
I understand what it feels like, I’ve been there too. It’s important to remember, sometimes God calms the storm, but sometimes he lets the storm rage and calms his child. Suffering can draw us much closer to God. At a certain time during my teenage years, I lost my grandma and my baby brother at almost the same time. When it happened, I thought that God just didn’t care. But that’s not true. He was there with me the whole time, walking me through my pain. God IS kind, and he loves you like crazy. He said that ‘he will never leave you nor forsake you’. (Hebrews 13:5)
When you are feeling depressed, find a moment to pray and/or read your bible. God’s word is his way of speaking to us and reaching out to us in comfort.
Don’t give up, my friend! If you put your trust in Christ, he’ll be with you for good!

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I understand what it feels like, I’ve been there too. It’s important to remember, sometimes God calms the storm, but sometimes he lets the storm rage and calms his child. Suffering can draw us much closer to God. At a certain time during my teenage years, I lost my grandma and my baby brother at almost the same time. When it happened, I thought that God just didn’t care. But that’s not true. He was there with me the whole time, walking me through my pain. God IS kind, and he loves you like crazy. He said that ‘he will never leave you nor forsake you’. (Hebrews 13:5)
When you are feeling depressed, find a moment to pray and/or read your bible. God’s word is his way of speaking to us and reaching out to us in comfort.
Don’t give up, my friend! If you put your trust in Christ, he’ll be with you for good!
You're about 12 years too late. This thread is from 2009 and the OP is no longer a member.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
That is so sweet, God bless you for your thoughtfulness! You'll get use to things here, it took me a while:)(y)!

Feb 28, 2021
Hey Dedders

Depression is a medical condition, just like diabeties, cancer or swine flu. If you are depressed you should see a doctor or a psychologist.

One thing I've learnt is that just because you're a Christian, it doesn't mean you're going to be happy all the time. Jesus never said it was going to be easy. He said take up your cross and follow me.
I'm Psychology student and Christian and I totally agree with you. Any one can be depressed, and there are so many causes for it, it doesn't mean God doesn't love us. It's only a period of time, I know how awful can be, even if each one has it cause.

neil2021

Feb 25, 2021
Someone said your 12 years to late and the person is no longer a member. I am a new member and struggling with life and your post is a huge help to me. Just like to say thank you.

oyster67

May 24, 2014

I wish life could be easy. God lets us suffer so much and my friend suffers. I thought god was kind. Why?
Paul's Thorn in the Flesh comes to mind. It kept him in tune with God.

2 Corinthians
12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
12:8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

These things remind us that we are as dust. We are nothing without Him. Remember that pain is temporary, but glorious fellowship in Heaven is forever. Let us pray one for another. Love and blessings upon you and your friend. We shall overcome by the Blood of the Lamb. He knows what it feels like.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I'm Psychology student and Christian and I totally agree with you. Any one can be depressed, and there are so many causes for it, it doesn't mean God doesn't love us. It's only a period of time, I know how awful can be, even if each one has it cause.
Amen Mariana. Grandfather Adam's fall let so much trouble in the door. Praise God that our Redemption draweth nigh!

Luke
21:27 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.
21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

I guess that the guy I posted to earlier came and left 12 years ago. Maybe the verses will bless someone else.

May 26, 2021

Often times people are mislead when they get saved and are (intentionally or unintentionally) taught that your life magically becomes better (as in circumstances) because you’re saved and that’s not true. God afflicts good people and bad people if He knows it will help us grow. Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain and it’s a medical condition. Many Christians believe it to just be spiritual and think that praying the bad away is all that needs to be done, this is not true. God made it so we all lack in something so that we all need each other. Doctors, psychologists, physical therapists, etc. are God’s gift to us that we can seek help. While prayer is essential and definitely necessary, God gave us these people to help us as well. I’m sorry that you are feeling this way and it’s very easy to be angry or disappointed in God when we’re in this space, but sometimes you really have to beat it into your head that God does not want us to be in pain. He wants us to be healed, and sometimes that requires extra help instead of just prayer. God also makes it clear that your prayers don’t work if you don’t! Seek help and reach out to anyone who you feel would be supportive! I hope that helped you understand a little better.

Nov 9, 2022

Remember Christ said in this world you will have trials and tribulations, but be of Good cheer because I have overcome the world.

Nov 7, 2022

God can't teach us when life is roses, we start to lean on our own understanding and that's not good. Pray that you learn quickly what's being taught to you and rest knowing jesus hears you.

Nov 7, 2022

Little flowers never worry
When the wind begins to blow
And they never, never cry
When the rain begins to fall
Though, it's wet and oh so cold
Soon the sun will shine again
And they'll smile unto the world
For their beauty to behold
So, let it rain, let it rain, let it pour
Let trouble keep on knocking at my door
If we'll learn the right from wrong
It will help to make us strong
So when the clouds begin to gather
And that old wind begins to blow
Little flowers don't complain
Though they're tossing to and fro
Well I guess I've learned the secret
That only little flowers know
If it never, never rains
Then we'll never, never grow
So, let it rain, let it rain, let it pour
Let trouble keep on knocking at my door
If we'll learn the right from wrong
It will help to make us strong
If it never, never rains
Then we'll never, never grow

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Depression is a medical condition...
I would disagree. Depression is mental, emotional, and spiritual. It is a result of looking at depressing circumstances and allowing them to control your mind. But you are the one who should be controlling your mind, by focusing on what is positive. And medications and drugs are DEFINITELY NOT the remedy for depression. Neither is alcohol, which is also a drug.

Sharp

May 5, 2009
I would disagree. Depression is mental, emotional, and spiritual. It is a result of looking at depressing circumstances and allowing them to control your mind. But you are the one who should be controlling your mind, by focusing on what is positive. And medications and drugs are DEFINITELY NOT the remedy for depression. Neither is alcohol, which is also a drug.
Who are you to speak with such authority on these matters?

Jan 11, 2024
I hear you. Feeling depressed while having faith can be challenging. Many grapple with similar questions about suffering and faith. It's okay to have doubts and seek answers. Sometimes, exploring resources like https://sunhealthcenter.com/neuro-therapy/ can shed light on combining faith with mental health support. Remember, seeking guidance, whether through therapy, community, or exploring different perspectives, can be a way to navigate these tough feelings while keeping faith.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I hear you. Feeling depressed while having faith can be challenging. Many grapple with similar questions about suffering and faith. It's okay to have doubts and seek answers. Sometimes, exploring resources like https://sunhealthcenter.com/neuro-therapy/ can shed light on combining faith with mental health support. Remember, seeking guidance, whether through therapy, community, or exploring different perspectives, can be a way to navigate these tough feelings while keeping faith.

Welcome!

Happy New Year 2024
:)

Jan 13, 2024
I suffer from depression to but so did Daniel from the book of Psalms and Job from the Book Of Job our walk with Jesus is not gonna be Rainbows and Sunshine unfortunately

But Jesus says in Matthew
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.”
Matthew 11:29

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023

the old testament book of Ecclessiastes explains life problems, to an extant. suffering should be used a strengthener in life. remember, we mostly learn thru adversity. God has never prom used to answer every problem of life but has commanded us to live joyfully, responsibly & wisely. for most people, if they could answer every problem, they would just abuse the answer & please themselves & live more selfishly. look at life this way: if you never had a problem, how would you know Jesus could solve them? if no one ever needed a miracle, how would you know Jesus could perform them? we're to count it all joy when we fall into divers temptations, trials & tribulations. (James). also read 1st Corinthians 10:13. thank Jesus for problems in the same manner you thank Him for blessings. there's certainly a reason for you depression. remember, the devil wants you depressed. he's some of the cause. find you quietest room with no noise & talk to Jesus for a long time. in time, you'll have the answer. have you ever noticed the longer you are quiet & the longer you think, the more you start thinking thoughts you never thought of? your priorities may be out of line. & never be in a problem, be thru it. read James 4:7- "......RESIST the devil....." blessings to you.