Des' Calvinist Love-In

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
hey, now, the '70s were cool!

nah, it was a decade of fashion disaster. :(
???

We had tie dye and bell bottoms and corduroy. It was awesome. And then weird silk disco shirts at the end...

I tried to bring back corduroy in the early 90's. It didn't really take. I still wear tie dye...

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
In all seriousness, I could become a Presby. I don't agree with paedobaptism, but they don't equate it with being saved, correct?
The way I view it is it can't hurt anything.

I don't believe dipping anyone in water is what saves them. Some denominations do.

Dec 28, 2016
Brother Des, wifey found something that you might be interested in, being a paedobaptist. One of our local FB trader sites has newborn baby dippers for sale. They spelled diapers as dippers. Wifey has laughed until she cried and her stomach hurts. She was wondering what they dipped them in. Ppl need to learn to spell.

J

jennymae

Oh did you lob that pitch up for me to hit outta the park. But I will let it pass. Choose your words wisely around me. :p
Early to bed, early to rise, makes the (wo)man wealthy, healthy and WISE:p - Benjamin Franklin

notmyown

May 26, 2016
???

We had tie dye and bell bottoms and corduroy. It was awesome. And then weird silk disco shirts at the end...

I tried to bring back corduroy in the early 90's. It didn't really take. I still wear tie dye...
you must have done some good. i'm wearing corduroy pants now!

and you probably have no clear recollection of it, but jeans made for women weren't a thing till the end of the '70s.

did you know men don't have hips and most women do? lol

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I invented the automated baby-dipper.

Brother Des, wifey found something that you might be interested in, being a paedobaptist. One of our local FB trader sites has newborn baby dippers for sale. They spelled diapers as dippers. Wifey has laughed until she cried and her stomach hurts. She was wondering what they dipped them in. Ppl need to learn to spell.

J

jennymae

Hopefully in some kind of anti pellets poo;).

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
It was interesting, I poll watched at a PCUSA Church the other day. It had to have been the most beautiful sanctuary I've ever been in.

But I couldn't help but notice something present there that I've never seen in the more conservative Presbyterian Churches I attend- 2CV's. Everywhere. I'm not sure if images of Jesus in fact violate the Second Commandment, but most Presbyterians maintain it does and their churches follow suit.

So I asked if it was always Presbyterian. Turns out it was. Hmmmmmmmmmm

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
It was interesting, I poll watched at a PCUSA Church the other day. It had to have been the most beautiful sanctuary I've ever been in.

But I couldn't help but notice something present there that I've never seen in the more conservative Presbyterian Churches I attend- 2CV's. Everywhere. I'm not sure if images of Jesus in fact violate the Second Commandment, but most Presbyterians maintain it does and their churches follow suit.

So I asked if it was always Presbyterian. Turns out it was. Hmmmmmmmmmm
What are 2CV's??

Dec 28, 2016
Reading a really good biography about the life of Leo Tolstoy, written by Warren Piece.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
2CV is popular shorthand for "2nd Commandment Violation"

T

Tinuviel

2CV is popular shorthand for "2nd Commandment Violation"
What are your views on the whole "graven image" thing? It goes against the grain of my Presbyterian upbringing, but I don't think there is anything really wrong with pictures/statues of Christ...after all, it's not like people worship them.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I put it in the same realm of Christian liberty that I do use of alcohol. Whether it's sinful depends on the individual's orientation toward the image.

But if I were in charge of building or decorating a Church, I'd go without them. Just to be on the safer side.

What are your views on the whole "graven image" thing? It goes against the grain of my Presbyterian upbringing, but I don't think there is anything really wrong with pictures/statues of Christ...after all, it's not like people worship them.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
That and, historically speaking, I think the wise use of images had a largely negative impact on Church life.

J

jennymae

In the Lutheran church I'm going to there's both statues and pictures. It looks pretty much like a catholic church, but nobody is worshipping the statues.