Dictionary game

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
This is a new game.

You post a new word and the next person has to look it up in the dictionary and give the meaning. Then they post a new word, and so on.

The object of this game is to expand our vocabulary! And maybe if we are scrabble players, we might win more if we get to know some new words.

Ok my new word is

RAMBUNCTIOUS

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
  1. difficult to control or handle; wildly boisterous: a rambunctious child.
  2. turbulently active and noisy: a social gathering that became rambunctious and out of hand.
Origin: An Americanism dating back to 1820–30; origin uncertain.

The next word is:

ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM

~Deut

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Couldn't find that word in my Oxford English dictionary ...

Online I found that ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM means opposition to the disestablisment of the Church of England.
Or the movement against the separation between church and state

Not really heard of that word before! Good one. Ok this is my favourite

PROPITIATION

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
This word means “appeasement.” It expresses the idea that Jesus died on the cross to pay the price that a holy God demanded for sin.

Propitiation involves the vertical dimension of atonement. In the act of propitiation, God’s righteous wrath is appeased, and His justice is satisfied. The moral obligation that we owe for our sins is paid to God, who is thereby placated. He is fully satisfied with the price that is paid by our substitute. (If we do not have a substitute, then there can be no expiation and no propitiation, because we are not capable of satisfying the demands of God’s justice. If we do not have a substitute, then there can be no expiation and no propitiation, because we are not capable of satisfying the demands of God’s justice).

New Word. Similar, but different.

EXPIATION

~Deut
p.s. - your meaning for ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM is correct :) I'm sure that it's best known today for the number of letters and syllables that it contains ;)

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Sorry about repeating that sentence above. I copied and pasted it in .. apparently twice somehow, and by the time that I noticed it, it was already too late to edit it back out :( (it was a statement made by R C Sproul that seemed valuable to add to the definition).

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
ex·pi·a·tion
/ˌekspēˈāSH(ə)n/

noun
  1. the act of making amends or reparation for guilt or wrongdoing; atonement.
    "an act of public expiation"
    synonyms:atonement, redemption, redress, reparation, restitution, recompense, requital, purgation, penance;
    amends

new word: ephemera

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
1. anything short-lived or ephemeral.
2. ephemera = items designed to be useful or important for only a short time, especially pamphlets, notices, tickets, etc.

ORIGIN OF EPHEMERON
1570–80; < Greek ephḗmeron short-lived insect

New word: PECCADILLO

~Deut

Jun 10, 2019
Complasmatory

Jun 10, 2019
1. anything short-lived or ephemeral.
2. ephemera = items designed to be useful or important for only a short time, especially pamphlets, notices, tickets, etc.

ORIGIN OF EPHEMERON
1570–80; < Greek ephḗmeron short-lived insect

New word: PECCADILLO

~Deut
Peccadillo
a small, relatively unimportant offense or sin.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
?? I couldnt find it in my dictionary...or even online...you sure you have the spelling correct?

Ok I cant find it...will skip it my new word is

PUNTER

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
1. a kicker (cf Football, Rugby) who drops the ball and then kicks it before it touches the ground
2. someone who propels a boat by thrusting a pole against the bottom of a river, stream, or lake
3. a gambler
4. a person who kicks a ball (British)
5. a person who punts a boat (British)

New Word: Snickerdoodle (may not be in some dictionaries, but it can be found online .. bon appétit)

~Deut

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hey Sister (@Lanolin), is this new game restricted to single words, or can we also use short, popular phrases too, like bon appétit, quid pro quo, etc.?

Thanks!

~Deut
p.s. - again, the new word is, SNICKERDOODLE

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Hey Sister (@Lanolin), is this new game restricted to single words, or can we also use short, popular phrases too, like bon appétit, quid pro quo, etc.?

Thanks!

~Deut
p.s. - again, the new word is, SNICKERDOODLE
Snickerdoodle is a cookie made of butter or oil, sugar, flour and rolled in cinammon sugar.

Never tried one before.... how about this one...

The new word is PAVLOVA

Yes you may have short phrases too.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
1. a kicker (cf Football, Rugby) who drops the ball and then kicks it before it touches the ground
2. someone who propels a boat by thrusting a pole against the bottom of a river, stream, or lake
3. a gambler
4. a person who kicks a ball (British)
5. a person who punts a boat (British)

New Word: Snickerdoodle (may not be in some dictionaries, but it can be found online .. bon appétit)

~Deut
Punter can also mean a customer or client (british slang) or a potential customer...

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Either it's this:

.......a meringue cake topped with whipped cream and fruit .. or this:

...............Prima Ballerina Anna Pavlova

The next word, err phrase, is QUID PRO QUO

~Deut

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Either it's this:

.......a meringue cake topped with whipped cream and fruit .. or this:

...............Prima Ballerina Anna Pavlova

The next word, err phrase, is QUID PRO QUO

~Deut
Quid pro quo

I scratch your back you scratch mine or vice versa

A transfer that is contingent based off mutual exchange.

Circumlocutionary.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Circumlocutionary
adjective
Characterized by repetition and excessive wordiness; roundabout, tautological.
A roundabout or indirect way of speaking; the use of more words than necessary to express an idea; a roundabout expression.

New word: OXYMORON

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Hmm...let me try it's been a minute.

"Same difference" Something that by definition contradicts itself?

On to the spoiler ;)

An oxymoron (usual plural oxymorons, more rarely oxymora) is a rhetorical device that uses an ostensible self-contradiction to illustrate a rhetorical point or to reveal a paradox. A more general meaning of "contradiction in terms" (not necessarily for rhetoric effect) is recorded by the OED for 1902

The term is first recorded as latinized Greek oxymōrum, in Maurus Servius Honoratus (c. AD 400);it is derived from the Greek ὀξύς oksús "sharp, keen, pointed" and μωρόςmōros "dull, stupid, foolish";as it were, "sharp-dull", "keenly stupid", or "pointedly foolish". The word oxymoron is autological, i.e. it is itself an example of an oxymoron. The Greek compound word ὀξύμωρον oksýmōron, which would correspond to the Latin formation, does not seem to appear in any known Ancient Greek works prior to the formation of the Latin term

Credit: Wikipedia.

THAT was fun...searched definition coincided but what a brilliant word, itself created as an oxymoron, def new info for me. Also learned what autological meant ha. Incidentally I learned a lot from trying to dissect autological and make sense on where that came from. Solid diversion.

Hmm...

~Shunt (as a verb).

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
shunt
/SHənt/

verb
  1. 1.
    push or pull (a train or part of a train) from the main line to a siding or from one track to another.
    "their train had been shunted into a siding"

2. 2.
    provide (an electrical current) with a conductor joining two points of a circuit, through which more or less of the current may be diverted.
From Oxford. But no, dont ask me to use in a sentence =)).

After reading book of Matthew in Complete Jewish Bible version, my word: assarion.