Dictionary game

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Assay is to analyze or rarely attempt...

So possibly examine thoroughly or successfully attempt. Wild guess...

Wow wayyy wrong.

Conflicting info but it is a small denomination coin.

Looks like it was worth btwn 1/10 and 1/16 of a denarius which I thought was an avg days wages. So your hourly pay would be in assarion?

I got rather confused when trying to compare greek and roman coins. Drachmas I thought were pennies but now I see that they are quadrans which are "thought" to be 1/4 of an "as" or the two plural names. It seems that there is a good bit of debate.

Prolixity.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
My father LOVED to talk, and his normal way of disciplining me as a kid (unfortunately) was typically via lectures, endless, endless lectures :oops:

Excessive or extended wordiness; the use of too many words to express an idea in speech or in writing. Long-winded.
Yammering on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on ;)

Next word: ONOMATOPOEIA

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Cool prolixity, boy do I know that in application, lol. Great game, btw.

ONOMATOPOEIA
the formation of a word from a sound associated with what is named

Abecedarian

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
noun
a person who is learning the letters of the alphabet.
a beginner in any field of learning.

adjective
of or relating to the alphabet.
arranged in alphabetical order.
rudimentary; elementary; primary.

A "padawan" in the Jedi order ;)

Next Word: PARADIGM

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
par·a·digm
/ˈperəˌdīm/

noun: paradigm; plural noun: paradigms

- a typical example or pattern of something; a model.

synonyms: model, pattern, example, standard, prototype, archetype

My turn, a Filipino word: Mabuhay=) (verb) [Rules didn't say we cannot use foreign words!)

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Live
Long Live
Welcome
Hi @mar09, does "mabuhay" carry some of the sense of the word Shalom with it too (you know, like peace, God's highest good for you, etc. .. cf Numbers 6:24-26) :unsure: Thanks!

Next Word, well, Phrase (this one is from Martin Luther): Simul Justus et Peccator

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Live
Long Live
Welcome
Hi @mar09, does "mabuhay" carry some of the sense of the word Shalom with it too (you know, like peace, God's highest good for you, etc. .. cf Numbers 6:24-26) :unsure:Thanks!

Next Word, well, Phrase (this one is from Martin Luther): Simul Justus et Peccator
A Lutheran formula applied to a Christian believer or a group of believers

'gormless' (used in an A Christie movie) I thought was hilarious

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
A Lutheran formula applied to a Christian believer or a group of believers
That is true.

Simul Justus et Peccator means "at the same time just and sinner" (or something along those lines anyway).

adjective Chiefly British Informal
lacking in vitality or intelligence; stupid, slow-witted, dull, or clumsy.

Next Word: PERSPICUITY

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
BONUS question (if you'd like to give it a shot too): What is the, "perspicuity of Scripture", and what does it tell us about the Bible?

~Deut

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
OH KAY! really liked reading about Simul Justus et Peccator. I have issues with certain things and it was really cool to see it that way.

Simultaneously righteous with you sinner...or something along those lines. At the same time (he) is righteous along with you (the) sinner. Can be translated so many different ways and I somehow have my faith sharpened by reformers of the faith. Like sometimes I'm desperate for words that seem to be lost in modern english. It's like I need the right combination to speak to me. Or possibly just living and abiding. Not sure at present but I do appreciate it.

On to the definition. Perspecuity means clarity...oddly this word was going through my mind earlier as one to post as a counter to my others lol.

lucidity, clearness of style or exposition, freedom from obscurity

Hmm...clarity of the word? I think the word is "perspicacious" but only to the extent that that particular word is clear. It requires study and thought. Some passages aren't given freely. They are in the heat of the moment...sort of unlocked for a particular purpose...but discipline is a thing with Yeshua. That's the hardest part for me personally. Giving it my everything...despite set/setting. Mood. Not jus flipping to a random scripture verse but actually taking the time to READ and consequently be READ to. To have the proper heart and to be creative with how I "set the mood". Idk, it's still a WIP for me.

It is CLEAR, but at the same time obscured. So I can safely say that when our eyes are "opened" to a particular passage or the word in general it is clear as (I don't really have a word except John 21:7)...then other times...it's like a wall that we have to work past. I have plenty of head knowledge of the word...but it's the heart knowledge that is precious to me. Timing I suppose.

SOOO...this is supposed to be a break from BDF (but that was a neat moment) so...a word.

effervescent (kind of randomly my mood).

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Appreciate this thread...Perspecuity, a sort, a state, a bucket list that I seek to maintain, but often miss the mark. I agree takes study and prayer, and waiting on our Lord.

Definition of effervescent

1: having the property of forming bubbles : marked by or producing effervescence an effervescent beverage effervescent saltsan effervescent tablet
2: marked by or expressing an appealingly lively qualityan effervescent person/personality a song with an effervescent melody. She was a marvel with the press: fresh, direct, effervescent.— Bruce AndersonConditions being as they were at Brinkley Court … I hadn't expected the evening meal to be particularly effervescent. Nor was it. Silent. Sombre. The whole thing more than a bit like Christmas dinner on Devil's Island.— P. G. Wodehouse

Other Words from effervescent
effervescently adverb
Ultimately, it was quite remarkable what this routine, nonstop sports vacation had done for this effervescently fit sportsman.— Curry Kirkpatrick
First Known Use of effervescent
1833, in the meaning defined at sense 2

Anyway...

Credulity

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Appreciate this thread...Perspecuity, a sort, a state, a bucket list that I seek to maintain, but often miss the mark. I agree takes study and prayer, and waiting on our Lord.

Definition of effervescent

1: having the property of forming bubbles : marked by or producing effervescence an effervescent beverage effervescent saltsan effervescent tablet
2: marked by or expressing an appealingly lively qualityan effervescent person/personality a song with an effervescent melody. She was a marvel with the press: fresh, direct, effervescent.— Bruce AndersonConditions being as they were at Brinkley Court … I hadn't expected the evening meal to be particularly effervescent. Nor was it. Silent. Sombre. The whole thing more than a bit like Christmas dinner on Devil's Island.— P. G. Wodehouse

Other Words from effervescent
effervescently adverb
Ultimately, it was quite remarkable what this routine, nonstop sports vacation had done for this effervescently fit sportsman.— Curry Kirkpatrick
First Known Use of effervescent
1833, in the meaning defined at sense 2

Anyway...

Credulity
A disposition that too readily accepts something w/o the proof or facts first/like gullible

'impavid'

Feb 28, 2016
Tabin,
I must say, and I was quite surprised when I asked hub if he knew the definition
of this word and 'he didn't know', for he is what I personally call him,
a master-word-definer' - he constantly amazes me how he can define words
that I've never even hear of! well, he missed this one, we actually had to look it up!

thanks for a 'teaching moment'...
:):)

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
A disposition that too readily accepts something w/o the proof or facts first/like gullible

'impavid'
Wow...apparently Fearless or undaunted...(wiktionary)

I usually use merriam-websters and apparently that's not a free word. Neither does wiki have a good article on it

I'm not sure fearless is always synonymous with fearless (contextually)

Sprauncy (I found this somehow looking for impavid)

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Wow...apparently Fearless or undaunted...(wiktionary)

I usually use merriam-websters and apparently that's not a free word. Neither does wiki have a good article on it

I'm not sure fearless is always synonymous with fearless (contextually)

Sprauncy (I found this somehow looking for impavid)
Something in between stylish and opulent , originating from British Jews

'preserval'

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Live
Long Live
Welcome
Hi @mar09, does "mabuhay" carry some of the sense of the word Shalom with it too (you know, like peace, God's highest good for you, etc. .. cf Numbers 6:24-26) :unsure:Thanks!
Mabuhay is often used as an interjection, as in Welcome!... However, it is not as all-encompassing as Shalom is:

This ancient Hebrew concept of peace means wholeness, completeness, soundness, health, safety, prosperity.
https://jewsforjesus.org/publications/issues/issues-v01-n10/the-shalom-of-god-issues-shalom/

-used for telling someone that you wish them success
May God continue to bless your future projects, wherever they may take you. Mabuhay!

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/mabuhay

The last words given were: Sprauncy, preserval ... will someone help research for me=).

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
preserval
noun
pre·serv·al | \ -vəl\
plural -s
Definition of preserval

: PRESERVATION preserval and removal of … mineral beds

Not real pleased with that definition. Is it the act of preservation?

Sprauncy

English old-fashioned, slang
smart or showy in appearance

Quixotic

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
preserval
noun
pre·serv·al | \ -vəl\
plural -s
Definition of preserval

: PRESERVATION preserval and removal of … mineral beds

Not real pleased with that definition. Is it the act of preservation?

Sprauncy

English old-fashioned, slang
smart or showy in appearance

Quixotic
you got it, preserval-preservation, secured, sustainment
Quixotic- capricious, fanciful, chimerical (y)

'roseate'

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Roseate

Adjective

1. Rose-coloured
2. Optimistic or idealistic

New word...BAKSHEESH