Did Jesus ever tell us that we no longer need to keep the law of Moses?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Matthew 5:17-18, " 17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
Not an iota, not a dot will pass from the Law.

Who gave you permission to not obey some of the ordinances of the law of Moses?

FollowtheShepherd

Sep 15, 2019

ahh you have turned into an accuser.

No one has, when I sin I ask for forgiveness and seek repentance, inwaredly and outwardly, In thought and actionm guided by the holy SPirit.

1 John 1:8-10, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His Word is not in us."

1 John 3:4, "Whoever commits sin, transgresses also the Law; for sin is the transgression of the Law."

Hebrews 10:16-17, " 16 “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws on their hearts, and write them on their minds,” 17 then he adds, “I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more.”

Acts 3:22-23, " 22 Moses said, ‘The Lord God will raise up for you a prophet like me from your brothers. You shall listen to him in whatever he tells you. 23 And it shall be that every soul who does not listen to that prophet shall be destroyed from the people.’

FollowtheShepherd

Sep 15, 2019
Hebrews 10:16-17, " 16 “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws on their hearts, and write them on their minds,” 17 then he adds, “I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more.”

Psalm 119:44-45, "That I might guard Your Law continually, Forever and ever; That I might walk in liberty, For I have sought Your orders;"

James 1:22-25, “And become doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. Because if anyone is a hearer of the Word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror, for he looks at himself, and goes away, and immediately forgets what he was like. But he that looked into the perfect Law of liberty, and continues in it, not becoming a hearer that forgets, but a doer of work, this one shall be blessed in his doing.”

James 2:8-12, “If you truly accomplish the sovereign Law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself, (Lev 19:18) you do well, but if you show partiality, you commit sin, being found guilty by the Law as transgressors. For whoever shall guard all the Law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,” (Exo 20:14) also said, “Do not murder.” (Exo 20:13) Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of Law. So speak and so do as those who are to be judged by the Law of liberty.”

FollowtheShepherd

Sep 15, 2019
Matthew 24:12 And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold.

Exodus 20:6, “But showing love to thousands who love Me by keeping My Laws.”

John 14:15, “If you love Me, keep My commandments.”

1 John 5:2-3, " 2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.

Matthew 22:37-40, " 37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

FollowtheShepherd

Sep 15, 2019

ahh you have turned into an accuser.

No one has, when I sin I ask for forgiveness and seek repentance, inwaredly and outwardly, In thought and actionm guided by the holy SPirit.

1 John 1:8-10, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His Word is not in us."

1 John 3:4, "Whoever commits sin, transgresses also the Law; for sin is the transgression of the Law."

Acts 3:22-23, " 22 Moses said, ‘The Lord God will raise up for you a prophet like me from your brothers. You shall listen to him in whatever he tells you. 23 And it shall be that every soul who does not listen to that prophet shall be destroyed from the people.’
Marcelo what happend to a discussion about the word. THe other day you said I have to log off Ill reply tomorrow, since then you isloted partes of my posts and the discussion seems to have stopped. Why not consider the verses I posted? Why not consider when Jesus says "these words I have spoken while still with you" and "my words will not pass" If you accpet these you can not hold to Jesus words are not for me and another speaks in His place. Is this the reason why you have turned it into a discussion about my imperfections rather than what the word says?

May 1, 2019
The apostle Paul was Christ's spokesman and was used by the Lord to teach us salvation by grace through faith, apart from the Law.

Romans 6:14 (NIV)

For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.

Hey Marcelo,

So, would that mean that the verse below which clarifies that The Holy Spirit would remind us of His words He spoke while present on Earth is no longer valid? Do we ignore the Holy Spirit leading us to Jesus' words and instead read Pauls only?;

Joh 14:25-26 KJV
(25) These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
(26) But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Actually the NT teaches that it was necessary for the priesthood laws to change because the priesthood changed. It is now under the order of Melchizedek and not the order of Aaron. Heb 7

Heb 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Isn't this verse the same as saying that animal sacrifice was replaced by the sacrifice of Jesus, once and for all-meaning no more sacrificing was necessary?
So would you say the Lord Jesus FULFILLED that law???

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Wouldn't you say that priesthood laws make up some of the jots and tittles of the Law???

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Marcelo said: Not an iota, not a dot will pass from the Law.

[QUOTE="FollowtheShepherd, post: 4041077, member: 289109"]ahh you have turned into an accuser. ’[/QUOTE]

This is a question, not an accusation.

I am not judging you, I'm just testing your assumptions. It is a fact that Law Zealots don't even attempt to keep all of the ordinances of the law of Moses because they know nobody can do that. They themselves decided to remove some (or many) items from the Law and this can't be done. Jesus said: "not one tittle, nor an iota, will pass from the Law until ALL is fulfilled".

Since you believe that ALL has not yet been fulfilled you are obliged to keep ALL 613 Mitzvot of the Law of Moses.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Hey Marcelo,

So, would that mean that the verse below which clarifies that The Holy Spirit would remind us of His words He spoke while present on Earth is no longer valid? Do we ignore the Holy Spirit leading us to Jesus' words and instead read Pauls only?;

Joh 14:25-26 KJV
(25) These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
(26) But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
Hi S.Gardner!

I am leaving now and will be back only tomorrow.

FollowtheShepherd

Sep 15, 2019
So would you say the Lord Jesus FULFILLED that law???

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Wouldn't you say that priesthood laws make up some of the jots and tittles of the Law???
Hebrews 7 explains this,
“For the priesthood being changed (#G3346), there is made of necessity a change (#G3331) also of the law.”

the law is transferred to mediation by Jesus not abolished, the levitical riesthood is abolished, but again not the laws of priesthood.

Hebrews 7:23-25, " 23 The former priests were many in number, because they were prevented by death from continuing in office, 24 but he holds his priesthood permanently, because he continues forever. 25 Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.

Psalms 110:4-5, " 4 The LORD has sworn and will not change his mind, “You are a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.” 5 The Lord is at your right hand; he will shatter kings on the day of his wrath.

FollowtheShepherd

Sep 15, 2019
[QUOTE="FollowtheShepherd, post: 4041077, member: 289109"]ahh you have turned into an accuser.

This is a question, not an accusation.

I am not judging you, I'm just testing your assumptions. It is a fact that Law Zealots don't even attempt to keep all of the ordinances of the law of Moses because they know nobody can do that. They themselves decided to remove some (or many) items from the Law and this can't be done. Jesus said: "not one tittle, nor an iota, will pass from the Law until ALL is fulfilled".

Since you believe that ALL has not yet been fulfilled you are obliged to keep ALL 613 Mitzvot of the Law of Moses.
OK respect Marcelo.

All that apply to me yes. I don't keep the laws of the high priest or women etc. But yes anything else does apply to me as a child of God.

Thats is why this state,ment was made:

Matthew 22:37-40, " 37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

If we truly love God and others we will walk in His law, if we truly walk in His laws we will love GOd and others.

Proof of this is Jesus life on earth. He kept the law perfect and is also the perfect example of how to walkin love. This is NOT a coincedience.

FollowtheShepherd

Sep 15, 2019
Matthew 5:17-18, " 17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

"until heaven and earth pass away"

not yet passed:

Revelation 21:1-2, " 1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

"until all is accomplished."

not yet accomplished/fulfilled:

Daniel 7:13-14, " 13 “I saw in the night visions, and behold, with the clouds of heaven there came one like a son of man (Mat 24:29-31), and he came to the Ancient of Days and was presented before him. 14 And to him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him; his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom one that shall not be destroyed.

FollowtheShepherd

Sep 15, 2019

1 John 2:1-2, "My little children, I write these things to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father: Jesus Christ, the Righteous; and He is the sacrifice of atonement for our sins, and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world."

Dec 9, 2011
I had been taught a grace perversion doctrine my whole life at every chruch I had been to, it was not until I read for myself without outside influence that I noticed the word said different. If only there were places that taught according to Jesus words, but I suppose they would not get as many attendees. WHat I find, just as you said is most kind of cut out and ignore all the parts of the word that require a change in walk, partiularly those that give EXACT paramaters. Focusing on the "requirements/triats" that are not absolute but rather abstract then anyone can "put" themselves in the proper catagory without need to actually walk in or submit to the way the word says. What I find is this then becomes the flagship or foundational doctrine and anyone who says differently is cast into the false doctrine catagory.

This verse is true, but people will accuse you all day if one was to say it:

1 John 3:7, "Little children, let no man deceive you; he who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous."

and people say "love" well anyone can love. Is it God's version of love?

That a reason why Jesus walk on earth is so important:

John 13:15, “For I (Jesus) gave you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.”

1 Peter 2:21, “This is, in fact, what you were called to do, because Christ also suffered for you and left an example for you to follow in His steps.”

1 John 1:26, “The one who says that he abides in him must live the same way he (Jesus) himself lived.”

But what have many done? Abolished His walk and teaching while in the flesh and said "no the risen Chrsit!"

Mat 24:35, “Heaven and earth may pass away, but My words (teachings) will not pass away.”
I couldn't find 1 John 1:26

E

eternally-gratefull

1 John 2:3-7, " 3 And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. 4 Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, 5 but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: 6 whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked. 7 Beloved, I am writing you no new commandment, but an old commandment that you had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word that you have heard.

1 John 5:2-3, " 2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.

Revelation 21:10-14, " 10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great, high mountain, and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God, 11 having the glory of God, its radiance like a most rare jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. 12 It had a great, high wall, with twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and on the gates the names of the twelve tribes of the sons of Israel were inscribed— 13 on the east three gates, on the north three gates, on the south three gates, and on the west three gates. 14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

John 5:43, “I have come in My Father's Name, but you do not follow Me. Let another come in his own name; him you will follow.”

Galatians 2:4-14, " 4 Yet because of false brothers secretly brought in—who slipped in to spy out our freedom that we have in Christ Jesus, so that they might bring us into slavery— 5 to them we did not yield in submission even for a moment, so that the truth of the gospel might be preserved for you. 6 And from those who seemed to be influential (what they were makes no difference to me; God shows no partiality)—those, I say, who seemed influential added nothing to me. 7 On the contrary, when they saw that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been entrusted with the gospel to the circumcised 8 (for he who worked through Peter for his apostolic ministry to the circumcised worked also through me for mine to the Gentiles), 9 and when James and Cephas and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given to me, they gave the right hand of fellowship to Barnabas and me, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised. 10 Only, they asked us to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do. 11 But when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. 12 For before certain men came from James, he was eating with the Gentiles; but when they came he drew back and separated himself, fearing the circumcision party. 13 And the rest of the Jews acted hypocritically along with him, so that even Barnabas was led astray by their hypocrisy. 14 But when I saw that their conduct was not in step with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas before them all, “If you, though a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you force the Gentiles to live like Jews?”
So you cant refute what was said?

paul did not stutter, he meant what he said, nothing here says it is ok to put yourself under law,

again you need to deeply study galations

E

eternally-gratefull

But that is not what I asked:
yes it is

your not getting away with this

focusing on what god commands, there is No other way to interpret it

Do you believe the law is done away? and I never said you said that, I said basically it made something very clear to me, cant serve 2 masters at once.

With THIS QUESTION attached:

SO is the other option of "if we are going to do what god commands" to not do what God commands?
you cant obey the law

so you continuing to insist you can just shows you are misled about what it means

you want to serve god, follow the law of love, period

E

eternally-gratefull

funny.

Jeremiah 31:31-33, " 31 “Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the LORD. 33 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

that word is law, commands, instruction, torah.

Matthew 5:17-20, " 17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Revelation 12:17 Then the dragon became furious with the woman and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring, on those who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus. And he stood on the sand of the sea.

Revelation 14:12-13, " 12 Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus. 13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying, “Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.” “Blessed indeed,” says the Spirit, “that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow them!”

Remember:

Matthew 24:9-12, " 9 “Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and put you to death, and you will be hated by all nations for my name's sake. 10 And then many will fall away and betray one another and hate one another. 11 And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. 12 And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold.

because 1223 dia: through, on account of, because of
Original Word: διά
Part of Speech: Preposition
Transliteration: dia
Phonetic Spelling: (dee-ah')
Definition: through, on account of, because of
Usage: (a) gen: through, throughout, by the instrumentality of, (b) acc: through, on account of, by reason of, for the sake of, because of.

Definition of because

1 : for the reason that : since rested because he was tired
2 : the fact that : that the reason I haven't been fired is because my boss hasn't got round to it yet— E. B. White
You ieep missing the point

the oaw given to moses was to expose sin and lead to christ

it is called the ministry of death

god does not write those laws on our heart.

nothing you have posted refutes that fact.

E

eternally-gratefull

Revelation 21:10-14, " 10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great, high mountain, and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God, 11 having the glory of God, its radiance like a most rare jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. 12 It had a great, high wall, with twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and on the gates the names of the twelve tribes of the sons of Israel were inscribed— 13 on the east three gates, on the north three gates, on the south three gates, and on the west three gates. 14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

John 5:43, “I have come in My Father's Name, but you do not follow Me. Let another come in his own name; him you will follow.”

Galatians 2:4-14, " 4 Yet because of false brothers secretly brought in—who slipped in to spy out our freedom that we have in Christ Jesus, so that they might bring us into slavery— 5 to them we did not yield in submission even for a moment, so that the truth of the gospel might be preserved for you. 6 And from those who seemed to be influential (what they were makes no difference to me; God shows no partiality)—those, I say, who seemed influential added nothing to me. 7 On the contrary, when they saw that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been entrusted with the gospel to the circumcised 8 (for he who worked through Peter for his apostolic ministry to the circumcised worked also through me for mine to the Gentiles), 9 and when James and Cephas and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given to me, they gave the right hand of fellowship to Barnabas and me, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised. 10 Only, they asked us to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do. 11 But when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. 12 For before certain men came from James, he was eating with the Gentiles; but when they came he drew back and separated himself, fearing the circumcision party. 13 And the rest of the Jews acted hypocritically along with him, so that even Barnabas was led astray by their hypocrisy. 14 But when I saw that their conduct was not in step with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas before them all, “If you, though a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you force the Gentiles to live like Jews?”

Your all over the place man

nothing posted here has a thing to do with what i am trying to get you to see