Did Jesus ever tell us that we no longer need to keep the law of Moses?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Forget the law of Moses.

You say, "Is hearing Jesus, Yeshua, and doing His teaching a burden...according to Him it is easy and gives us peace." Further, you talk about the commandments.

This is why it is easy. Christians follow the commandments of Jesus and not the law of Moses. Living under grace Jesus told the rich young ruler, "Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

No mention of the 613 Mitzvot Laws.
Do not indicate I have mentione the Law of Moses, for, I have not
As for what Jesus teaches, He teaches we are to obey the commandments of God…. He clarified the law under grace, but He, as He says in Matthew, bby no means has destroyed it.

If you believe Moses is or was authorized to make up his own laws outside of God's will, I am afraid youhave been misinformed.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
Do not indicate I have mentione the Law of Moses, for, I have not
As for what Jesus teaches, He teaches we are to obey the commandments of God…. He clarified the law under grace, but He, as He says in Matthew, bby no means has destroyed it.

If you believe Moses is or was authorized to make up his own laws outside of God's will, I am afraid you have been misinformed.
This is the problem. Despite the fact that Jesus said no man can follow two masters, Jews attach their old testament traditions to the teaching of Jesus, things that Jesus never said.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
We must consider how Jesus distinguishes between destroying the law and fulfilling the law. It, by His own words here, is not destroyed, however we are no longer condemned by it because we have obtained mercy.

Taking into consideration all of the writings on this subject, we now have the law written upon the tablets of our Hearst, in being new creaturas by the Holy Spirit.

With the law written upon our hearts we know it is merciful, and we know it is just. Even so, we are not Jesus, Yeshua, and we do, by the nature of being in the flesh, tend to counter a law now and then, but we do not live in sin.

Yes we are saved by mercy and grace from God, but we are instructed not to disobey God's commandments……..

If we obey the commandment of worship of our Maker, we will not ignore His wisdom when we learn from Him We weere once children of darkness but now we are come to the light. We were once children of disobedience but we are converted to obey our Lord.

We are warned not to teach against the least of the laws by Jesus, Yeshua, and in Revelation we are taught to obey God's commandments, not to mention the warnings in the letters of Joh..

Is hearing Jesus, Yeshua, and doing His teaching a burden...according to Him it is easy and gives us peace.
You are mixing and matching scripture.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
You are mixing and matching scripture.
To consider all of the Word and not simply a line or two that fits a personal point of view or the influence of peers is not mixing and matching………...they got together quite will.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
You should reconsider your understanding. The entire Bible is given by Jesus, Yeshua. Read the first chapter of John.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
You should reconsider your understanding. The entire Bible is given by Jesus, Yeshua. Read the first chapter of John.
John makes a clear distinction between the Old and New Testaments. Here is what the Believers Bible tells us.

1:17 John contrasts the OT period and the NT era. The law that was given through Moses was not a display of grace. It commanded men to obey and condemned them to death if they failed to do so. It told men what was right but did not give them the power to do it. It was given to show men that they were sinners, but it could not save them from their sins. But grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. He did not come to judge the world but to save those who were unworthy, who could not save themselves, and who were His enemies. That is grace—heaven's Best for earth's worst.

Not only did grace come through Jesus Christ, but truth came by Him as well. He said of Himself, “I am ... the truth.” He was absolutely honest and faithful in all His words and works. He did not show grace at the expense of truth. Although He loved sinners, He did not love their sins. He knew that the wages of sin is death. And so He Himself died to pay the penalty of death that we deserved, in order that He might show undeserved kindness to us in saving our souls and giving us a home in heaven.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Twist, twist, and more twist. Hear Jesus, Yeshua...……..In John, in Gnesis, in all of the Word, for He IS the Word.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
Twist, twist, and more twist. Hear Jesus, Yeshua...……..In John, in Gnesis, in all of the Word, for He IS the Word.
Jesus is the Word. Jesus is the creator. Jesus was there in the beginning. Jesus is the "Way the Truth and the Life."

There is no life in the writings of Moses, or the life of Moses, there is only death.

Aug 17, 2019
Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter. Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes and clever in their own sight. Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks, who acquit the guilty for a bribe, but deny justice to the innocent. Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel. Isaiah 5:20-24

for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable. Romans 11:29

the people of Israel. Theirs is the adoption as sons; theirs the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises. Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of Christ, who is God over all, forever praised! Amen. Romans 9:4-5

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
I'll be glad to try to explain, as much as I understand. Also I want to say that the following idea is not something that I endorse.

Around 700 BC, the Assyrians captured all of the northern kingdom of Israel and all of the southern kingdom of Judah except for Jerusalem.

The Bible doesn't say where these people ended up. So according to this idea, those people blended in with the gentiles, but because the covenant with Abraham was without conditions, they were still under that covenant. But over time, they themselves didn't even remember they were Israelites.

An extension of this idea is that they migrated North into places like Denmark and Britain and the USA. So those Nations actually enjoy promises given to Israel, like that they shall possess the gates of their enemies.

As I read the scriptures, the abrahamic covenant did have at least one condition, circumcision. So if the Israelites that blended in with the gentiles stopped practicing circumcision, then they would no longer be under the covenant of Abraham.

That's how I understand the idea, and I think there are various permutations of it.
To give a little background of "world history" (geographically speaking) for credibility purposes, as I have come to understand it, concerning "the idea?" The tribes that migrated north into Denmark, Britain, and eventually to, not only the U.S. of A., but Aussie Land as well?
Migrated over a mountain range in the Russia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Armenia areas, known as the "Caucasus" mountains? Were "later" called "caucasians", by those scattered in a more southerly direction through Europe, Italy, Spain, etc. (get the "drift?" :)).
Some even "earned the moniker" of being "labelled" "Saxons." Sons of Issac, or "Issac's Sons."

There must have been a "parting of the ways" between those who believed in "gods", from those who believed/followed the "God of Issac", further northwards to Norway, Sweden, Finland, and probably Iceland, as well.
By the time these "tribes" migrated? It stands to reason that "followers of nimrod", had already established themselves in these areas, after the "flood of Noah." (tower of Babel incident) Hence, the "paganism" that stems from the "nordic regions."

Mar 28, 2016
If you want to ignore the OT, that is your choice. It is written FOR your learning.
If you want to ignore the meaning of the word "keep" (guard with all our new heart soul and mind) that is your choice. It is written FOR your learning. Only Christ not seen could keep it perfectly . The law of Moses does what it was designed to do. Kill.

The law of faith is designed to heal and create anew. They work great as one perfect law of team work . They represent that father and the Son as one work of faith. One Spirit working as two..

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Marcelo said: Wait a moment! Now I remember ... my dad had a big nose ... maybe I have some Jewish/Hebrew blood.
Best part, it doesn't matter once you come to Christ. We are all in one body. There is NO longer any flesh amongst us. We are made spiritual.

And I know people say Jewish/Hebrew but what if you are of Manasseh or Ephraim or Dan or Simeon or Naphtali or Asher or Issachar or Zebulon or Gad or Benjamin or Joseph or Reuben or you might be right and be of Judah. (Ok that was just for me, keeping the brain sharp)
It's impossible to determine if I descend from Manasseh or Ephraim or Dan or Simeon or Naphtali or Asher or Issachar or Zebulon or Gad or Benjamin or Joseph or Reuben because all of them had big noses.

Anyway ... great chances are I have some Jewish blood in my veins because my dad's nose was not only big, it was Jewish-style.

I've been to Israel three or four times, but remained confined within Tel Aviv airport throughout my two hour stay. It was an emotional experience to set foot in Israel, specially because I knew I was 6 km away from Lydda (where Peter healed Aeneas in the name of Jesus).

Those three or four times I was physically confined within the airport, but now I can go almost everywhere in Israel and at any time.

Google Map is a wonderful tool!:p:p:p and there's no security check, no passport control, .... , and what's more: no cost at all!

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Here is what Christians should do and know;

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Romans 12:1-2

Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth.” John 4:23-24

As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him— you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 1Peter 2:4-5
Up to this point I agree with you.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Everyone will be salted with fire. “Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can you make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with each other.” Mark 9:49-50

Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone. Colossians 4:6
This is applicable to non-legalistic Christians. Those who claim the Law still applies, have to observe what is above and LITERALLY what is below:

Season all your grain offerings with salt. Do not leave the salt of the covenant of your God out of your grain offerings; add salt to all your offerings. Leviticus 2:13 New International Version (NIV).

"Not one tittle will be removed from the Law until all is fulfilled" If you believe ALL has not yet been fulfilled then you must observe the LAW exactly as it was written plus the amendments made by the Lord Jesus.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Hebrew is a reference to Abraham and all of his descendants.

PS. According to the Jewish tradition today, being a Jeew is only passed down by the mother, never jusst through the father.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Are you a salted offering to God? Do you offer yourself to God as a living sacrifice by rejecting His commands, laws, teachings and instructions which are the very words of God who is the one LAWGIVER and JUDGE?

But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.” Matthew 12:36-37 (see also John 12:47-50)

“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. Matthew 5:13

The word/s of the Master is a law to His servants, written on their hearts.

Confess Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and walk in Love.

GOD IS good and His LOVE endures forever. Amen
God commanded us (through His son Jesus and through the apostle Paul) to stop keeping the law of Moses. We have to obey Him.

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
You along with all Jews keep banging on about the law. Yet you say we live under grace. Now what is it, law or grace?
Salvation, is God's gift through His grace by one's faith.

That being said? Salvation does NOT a "priest" make! Rather content (deceive) themselves, and others, to "live in the land where grace abounds." God "forbid!"

THIS, a "Priest" makes! Trust me! It ISN'T a gift either!
Hebrews 6
Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection;
not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
1 Peter 2
4 To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,
5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
It is demonstrated in Matthew that Jesus teaches any who teach against the leasst of the laws will be the least in the Kingdom.

Moses wrote down what was given to him. There is not truth in the poplua (of men) saying thast the law is of Moses other than he wrote them down. The expression, sitting on the seat of Moses, is a reference to those who know the true law via Moses, but Jesus has clarified all………..He clarified: He did not destroy them

Please any who do not understand how Je4sus has completed dthe laws do not bring up the 611 laws, for any who understand the Word know Jesus made the lion's portion of them no longer useful nor followed. Please Hear Jesus on the entire subjec to what is sto be obeyed and what is not to be obeyed..

Enjoying the free gift of Salvation is no excue nor reason to purposely disobey all of the laws…...…..You will have to meditatte on this if yo do not already understand.. God bless all in Jesus, Yeshua, aamen.