Did Paul explain scripture or add to scripture?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
He told you this already. It was two sentences away:

"If Paul taught something new, then Paul would be greater than Christ."
Which, as Crossnote already stated, is a non sequitur.

"She", by the way; Blik is female.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Which, as Crossnote already stated, is a non sequitur.

"She", by the way; Blik is female.
"She" is saying that we need to make this decision because of implications that are not good nor wise. It would be advised if "we" would stop overthinking the things people say. Even I have been guilty . . . but I am getting better.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Don't you think that Blik was referring to "new" things outside of the direction and guidance of Christ? Blik isn't dumb.
Once again coming to the aide of Blik? No she is not dumb, just wrong. Where in the OT or in Jesus’ teaching is 1Cor 15:51-52 found?

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Once again coming to the aide of Blik? No she is not dumb, just wrong. Where in the OT or in Jesus’ teaching is 1Cor 15:51-52 found?
Heaven forbid we come to the aid of a Christian Brother or Sister! What's happened to Christianity? Have we lost our minds?

Are you serious? You're charging me with coming to the aid of Blik as wrongdoing?

That my friend, does not warrant an answer to the rest of your post.

You can try again tomorrow, but I will not reward you with further opportunity to say such childish things (to me).

OneOfHis

Mar 24, 2019

God added to His inspired written word using paul.

Praise God.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
We know God chose Paul as an apostle and breathed His words into Paul. We can believe all Paul wrote as coming from the Lord Himself. But we need to decide if that word was explaining scripture or adding to scripture.

Christ told us that what He did was not adding or taking away from scripture, but it was fulfilling scripture. If Paul taught something new, then Paul would be greater than Christ.

The Bereans tested Paul by whether he agreed with scripture or not. Acts 17:11 “Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.”

Much of Paul’s writings were repeats of what the old testament said, he felt it explained what he said.

Did Paul add something new that God was addin
g to scripture?
Eph 3.5
Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
We know God chose Paul as an apostle and breathed His words into Paul. We can believe all Paul wrote as coming from the Lord Himself. But we need to decide if that word was explaining scripture or adding to scripture.

Christ told us that what He did was not adding or taking away from scripture, but it was fulfilling scripture. If Paul taught something new, then Paul would be greater than Christ.

The Bereans tested Paul by whether he agreed with scripture or not. Acts 17:11 “Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.”

Much of Paul’s writings were repeats of what the old testament said, he felt it explained what he said.

Did Paul add something new that God was addin
g to scripture?
If Paul taught something new, then //Paul would be greater than Christ.//
Not if Christ taught him those things .
Were not talking about anything Like Paul teaching about aliens, or hinduism or such radical things .

Gardenias

Oct 27, 2020
U.S.A.
I embrace both the OT and the NT but I don't live under the Mosaic law just under Christ covenant of grace!
Saying this there are MANY things the Spirit has taught me about God and his requirements of living from the OT,great faith and belief in what he says!

Saul/ Paul was chosen and inspired by God to write every word he did for whosoever will!

**** Have you ever wondered WHY Paul was chosen for the GENTILES being so great a Hebrew among Hebrews in knowing how to please God as a JEW ?*******

NEW means it is fresh,inspired by the Holy Spirit and yes I believe there is NEW scripture in what Paul wrote!

We are also inspired today when God speaks to us!

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
He explained it. The first 49 years of my life, I can honestly say that I had no clue as to what Paul was going on about. Really, I didn't. It wasn't until I began to understand Circumcision of the Heart that his teachings made any sense. And of course, they did, for I actually studied the Old Testament, and linked it directly to the New Testament, through Circumcision of Heart.
Totally agree with' the operation of Christ ' . It doesn't say ' heart ' though. Just saying, as it is an important distinction.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Heaven forbid we come to the aid of a Christian Brother or Sister! What's happened to Christianity? Have we lost our minds?

Are you serious? You're charging me with coming to the aid of Blik as wrongdoing?

That my friend, does not warrant an answer to the rest of your post.

You can try again tomorrow, but I will not reward you with further opportunity to say such childish things (to me).
You sound a bit convicted. Anyhow, how about the 2nd part of my question?... No she is not dumb, just wrong. Where in the OT or in Jesus’ teaching is 1Cor 15:51-52 found?

S

SophieT

Did Paul add something new that God was adding to scripture?

this is possibly your best attempt yet to undermine the gospel and convince everyone to become a Sabbath keeper...or Judaizer might be more accurate

I mean it's sad already and a person would think you would just stop by now but ignoring the many scriptures that prove you wrong, has possibly and sadly, made your heart even less inclined to accept the simple truth of Christ's sacrifice for us without the need to add to it

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
But we need to decide if that word was explaining scripture or adding to scripture.
Since Paul was commissioned to write more than half the New Testament by divine inspiration, he was both explaining Scripture and COMPLETING Scripture. That is not the same as "adding to Scripture".

Now we have in our hands a complete Bible, and no man may dare add anything more to it. Peter confirmed in his second epistle that Paul was completing the Scriptures, since he put all of Paul's epistles alongside the existing Tanakh (Old Testament).

Peter also said that there were some things in Paul's writings which were hard to understand, therefore heretics were twisting the Scriptures. One of the things which even Christians find hard to understand is justification by grace through faith + nothing.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Christ changed everything.

That's why the Jews hated Him and wanted Him dead.

Paul expounds on the changes that Christ made.
That is not what Christ said about Himself, Christ said he changed nothing, Christ fulfilled everything.

I do agree that the new covenant that came with Christ changed the law from a law in stone to a law in the heart, adding love to the law.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
this is possibly your best attempt yet to undermine the gospel and convince everyone to become a Sabbath keeper...or Judaizer might be more accurate

I mean it's sad already and a person would think you would just stop by now but ignoring the many scriptures that prove you wrong, has possibly and sadly, made your heart even less inclined to accept the simple truth of Christ's sacrifice for us without the need to add to it
You speak of "adding to the gospel of Christ". My post is to have us think about that Paul explained the gospel of Christ, but did not add to it.

Your post is about calling me a judaizer because I have posted that God established Sabbath at creation, you do this in the spirit of what is spoken of as murder in the Sermon of the Mount.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021

Did Paul add something new that God was adding to scripture?
Blik, let me ask you: Can you think of anything Paul wrote that some people might consider "new," with which you'd disagree? In other words, why do you ask this question? Do you think some people see Paul as "greater than Christ?"

S

SophieT

You speak of "adding to the gospel of Christ". My post is to have us think about that Paul explained the gospel of Christ, but did not add to it.

Your post is about calling me a judaizer because I have posted that God established Sabbath at creation, you do this in the spirit of what is spoken of as murder in the Sermon of the Mount.

totally false response

you appear to have a disconnect from reality. No one is trying to murder you. smh

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Blik, let me ask you: Can you think of anything Paul wrote that some people might consider "new," with which you'd disagree? In other words, why do you ask this question? Do you think some people see Paul as "greater than Christ?"
This is GREAT! I think that the old testament is an outline, a shadow, of everything in the new testament. I think if we think of it as cancelling what God established at creation, we do not see correctly. As we study these shadows, I think it shows us the truth of the reality of the fulfillment of all the old testament tells us.

When we say that the old testament taught killing animals and Christ brought something new, I think we are not seeing the grace and forgiveness that was told of in the old testament, and it is a distortion. I think when we say there is no relation between the earthly temple that Hebrews were told to build--when we say it was destroyed and not fulfilled by God pointing out that we are the temple that we miss a lot of understanding how we are the temple. I think when we say Paul cancelled the law, we are missing what God is telling us about the spirit of the law.

I would so like this discussed without the 'Blik" being added. These are ideas and interpretations of scripture, not an indication of a person.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
How does God add to His already Eternal Plan?

Ephesians 3:9-11 NLT - "I was chosen to explain to everyone this mysterious plan that God, the Creator of all things, had kept secret from the beginning. 10 God's purpose in all this was to use the church to display his wisdom in its rich variety to all the unseen rulers and authorities in the heavenly places. 11 This was his eternal plan, which he carried out through Christ Jesus our Lord."

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
When we say that the old testament taught killing animals and Christ brought something new, I think we are not seeing the grace and forgiveness that was told of in the old testament, and it is a distortion. I think when we say there is no relation between the earthly temple that Hebrews were told to build--when we say it was destroyed and not fulfilled by God pointing out that we are the temple that we miss a lot of understanding how we are the temple. I think when we say Paul cancelled the law, we are missing what God is telling us about the spirit of the law.
To equate the Old Testament with the Mosaic Law is a bit of a mistake. The Covenant God made with Abraham was based on promise whereas the Mosaic Law was based on works. The Book of Hebrews points us toward faith (Heb 11), as well as the Book of Romans (Rom 4) and Gal (Gal 3&4)

Galatians 3:17 (KJV) And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

John 1:17 (KJV) For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

OneOfHis

Mar 24, 2019
How does God add to His already Eternal Plan?
Are you being dishonest or did you misread my post?

Praise God.

My post stated the truth that God added to His inspired written word and paul was used.

You then said "How does God add to His already Eternal Plan?"

I never suggested nor implied God added anything to His plan in my post but you quoted me and used those words.