Did the Pope really say "There's no difference between the Quran and the Bible"?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

GtrPkr

I'm just wondering if this is an exaggeration or taken way out of context. I'm no fan of the Pope, but this statement is just ridiculous...

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Well you need to provide a link to an official site with a verified statement..

As an ex - catholic i can assure you i am not a fan of the false church of Rome..

But we need to make sure things are official before making any attacks on the catholic religion..

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
I'm not fan of that church or the pope either. No, the pope never said that. It's an old story from a fake news site.

G

GtrPkr

Lol, relax yall'... I'm not attacking anything. I've just heard the story so many times now, and even saw a video on YouTube..., I just wonder if it's really true. who does have the REAL scoop on this?

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Lol, relax yall'... I'm not attacking anything. I've just heard the story so many times now, and even saw a video on YouTube..., I just wonder if it's really true. who does have the REAL scoop on this?
I'm not upset, bro. I was just providing the info I found about it.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
do actual protestant Christians start these lies about the Pope or does someone else, and then believers who don't do any fact checking spread them?

G

GtrPkr

OK, I believe I've actually found his (Pope Francis) quote....

“Jesus Christ, Jehovah, Allah. These are all names employed to describe an entity that is distinctly the same across the world. For centuries, blood has been needlessly shed because of the desire to segregate our faiths. This, however, should be the very concept which unites us as people, as nations, and as a world bound by faith. Together, we can bring about an unprecedented age of peace, all we need to achieve such a state is respect each others beliefs, for we are all children of God regardless of the name we choose to address him by. We can accomplish miraculous things in the world by merging our faiths, and the time for such a movement is now. No longer shall we slaughter our neighbors over differences in reference to their God.”

Did you read that carefully???? Now there's this most recent papal ploy......

http://prophecynewswatch.com/article.cfm?recent_news_id=2952

G

GtrPkr

Seriously ya'll, why is there no mention of this in American media???

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Everyone! The Pope said the Bible and quaran are the same thing, I read it on a Christian chat thread title!

And this is how lies are spread.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Well you need to provide a link to an official site with a verified statement..

As an ex - catholic i can assure you i am not a fan of the false church of Rome..

But we need to make sure things are official before making any attacks on the catholic religion..
Even if was 'official' that would not then call for making an attack against the Catholic religion. Perhaps, you might consider other imperfect denominations to attack. Yeah, that's a productive use of the precious time that God has given you. No one benefits from attacks but people do get hurt. I guess that's just the nature of attacks.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Even if was 'official' that would not then call for making an attack against the Catholic religion. Perhaps, you might consider other imperfect denominations to attack. Yeah, that's a productive use of the precious time that God has given you. No one benefits from attacks but people do get hurt. I guess that's just the nature of attacks.
I will attack any religon that masqurades as the will of the God of abraham.. In doing so we undermine the ability of these false religons to decieve people and lead them to eternal destruction.. So yes attacking and undermining false religons is a worthy and productive use of a Christians time on earth..

Most people who come to believe in the Way of salvation will during the provcess feel the conviction of their sins and thus they feel hurt.. But it is a hurt that leads to correction and salvation..

G

GtrPkr

As a combat veteran I've often wondered how to love my enemies. The only solace I've ever found is in the forbearance of swine. But when the swine become petulant and provocative... I figure it's a sign of the times.

Apr 3, 2019
OK, I believe I've actually found his (Pope Francis) quote....

“Jesus Christ, Jehovah, Allah. These are all names employed to describe an entity that is distinctly the same across the world. For centuries, blood has been needlessly shed because of the desire to segregate our faiths. This, however, should be the very concept which unites us as people, as nations, and as a world bound by faith. Together, we can bring about an unprecedented age of peace, all we need to achieve such a state is respect each others beliefs, for we are all children of God regardless of the name we choose to address him by. We can accomplish miraculous things in the world by merging our faiths, and the time for such a movement is now. No longer shall we slaughter our neighbors over differences in reference to their God.”

Did you read that carefully???? Now there's this most recent papal ploy......

http://prophecynewswatch.com/article.cfm?recent_news_id=2952
According to the Catholic Herald:

A widely shared story that claimed Pope Francis called for merging Islam and Christianity is false.

The story quotes Francis as telling a Vatican audience: “Jesus Christ, Mohammed, Jehovah, Allah. These are all names employed to describe an entity that is distinctly the same across the world. For centuries, blood has been needlessly shed because of the desire to segregate our faiths.”

Another quote it attributes to Francis: “We can accomplish miraculous things in the world by merging our faiths, and the time for such a movement is now.”

Vatican spokesman Greg Burke tells the Associated Press the quotes are “invented”

An internet search reveals the fake quotes and various incarnations of the story have been shared by numerous websites since at least 2015.

https://catholicherald.co.uk/news/2017/01/03/dont-fall-for-fake-pope-quotes-on-islam-says-vatican/

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I will attack any religon that masqurades as the will of the God of abraham.. In doing so we undermine the ability of these false religons to decieve people and lead them to eternal destruction.. So yes attacking and undermining false religons is a worthy and productive use of a Christians time on earth..

Most people who come to believe in the Way of salvation will during the provcess feel the conviction of their sins and thus they feel hurt.. But it is a hurt that leads to correction and salvation..
Most people I know do not appreciate being attacked regardless of the reason. It would be better just set a good example in how you conduct yourself. Don't believe either that if you attack someone's religion that it is the first time that they were subject to an attack.

Mark Twain constantly belittled his wife's faith. One day she was dying and he told her to hold on to her faith. She said that she didn't have any faith left because he had destroyed it.

Paul used to attack people's religion too until he saw the light. If you want to turn people off to God and spiritual matters then by all means start the attack. This approach is ineffective and does more harm than good.

By all means teach people the Way but don't bring up their religion unless they ask about it. Odds are they have heard it all before. Unless you know what is truly in one's heart my counsel is to tread lightly.

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
Attacks on peoples beliefs go deeper than the beliefs themselves. People identify themselves with what they believe and the culture
they and their families were born into. Its interesting to note that Jesus only attacked the moral condition of his own people. There
is no mention of him attacking gentiles for their beliefs. In the case of the Roman Centurion he praised him for his faith

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Most people I know do not appreciate being attacked regardless of the reason. It would be better just set a good example in how you conduct yourself. Don't believe either that if you attack someone's religion that it is the first time that they were subject to an attack.

Mark Twain constantly belittled his wife's faith. One day she was dying and he told her to hold on to her faith. She said that she didn't have any faith left because he had destroyed it.

Paul used to attack people's religion too until he saw the light. If you want to turn people off to God and spiritual matters then by all means start the attack. This approach is ineffective and does more harm than good.

By all means teach people the Way but don't bring up their religion unless they ask about it. Odds are they have heard it all before. Unless you know what is truly in one's heart my counsel is to tread lightly.
You are getting the person mixed up with the religon..

Attacking a religon is NOT attacking the one holding that religion..

It is actually making an attempt to liberate that person from that false religion..

Paul when he was Saul went out to attack Christians.. He attacked people NOT Christianity..

Pointing out the faults and errors of a false religion can and does liberate people who simply never thought to question the religion they where indoctrinated into.. Unless a muslim for example comes to understand the faults in islam that muslim will not care how nice Christianity sounds or how nice their Christian neighbor is.. They will look at the Christian with either pit or contempt because they will be assured that muhammad was the last prophet and that islam is the right way..

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
You are getting the person mixed up with the religon..

Attacking a religon is NOT attacking the one holding that religion..

It is actually making an attempt to liberate that person from that false religion..

Paul when he was Saul went out to attack Christians.. He attacked people NOT Christianity..

Pointing out the faults and errors of a false religion can and does liberate people who simply never thought to question the religion they where indoctrinated into.. Unless a muslim for example comes to understand the faults in islam that muslim will not care how nice Christianity sounds or how nice their Christian neighbor is.. They will look at the Christian with either pit or contempt because they will be assured that muhammad was the last prophet and that islam is the right way..
Actually, Paul attacked both, Christians and Christianity. Spiritually, before one can point out another person's flaws that person needs to address their own flaws as well. People will generally perceive an attack on their religion as a personal attack. That's just the way that it is.

If you were to attack a person's Catholic faith you must be prepared to also answer for your own faith. If you attempt to persuade someone to leave their Catholic church be prepared to answer questions about the church that you attend. In the bible it says that to not forsake the assembling together with others of a like-minded faith. If that person asks what church you attend and the reasons for it and you then say that you don't attend church that will sound rather lame and hypocritical. In such instances, any counsel you offer, even if it is sound spiritual counsel will go in one ear and out the other, and rightly so.