Different up bringing

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I think a big part of it was that my dad was very much the head of our home, and we were raised with pretty strong Christian and conservative values. There were very clear expectations about obedience, respect, modesty, and doing what was considered right. And yes, spanking was part of the discipline when I was growing up. Which many people do not agree with
some similarities exist with me. my mom & dad had 5 boys, no girls, & we were beat constantly, no soft spankings. but we were brought up catholic. i never had kids but i definitely don't like spanking or hitting of any kind. i would choose an immediate talk after a child did something wrong. immediate correction is most absorbing by the guilty.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Maryyy2
some similarities exist with me. my mom & dad had 5 boys, no girls, & we were beat constantly, no soft spankings. but we were brought up catholic. i never had kids but i definitely don't like spanking or hitting of any kind. i would choose an immediate talk after a child did something wrong. immediate correction is most absorbing by the guilty.
Yes it was similar for us but I only have sisters 😂 I don’t feel negative towards it but I was very sheltered and didn’t realize how polarizing it was
 
I think shelter is important and yes it is normal to live at home with your parents (for girls) until you get married.

Folks with different upbringings where their parents abandoned them or split up, or didn't care for them or let them do anything they wanted, they won't know any different but they might be ashamed of their way of home life.

I think it's the homeschool thing that would be most polarizing since, if you have only been homeschooled your circle of people you hang out with would be more just your family and relatives.

those of us who weren't homeschooled have always needed to fit in somehow in a class of 30 or so others who are not closely related to us lol.

If you've ever seen the movie Mean Girls, you'd see how high school cliques could operate. It was originally meant to be called Homeschooled, it was about a teen girl called Cady who goes to high school for the first time, before that she was homeschooled in Africa. Her first task is to make friends....everyone kind of treats her like this exotic creature, she tries hard to fit in and seems to lose herself in the process.

In my country, homeschooling is only necessary if someone lives too far away from school, like in the country or remote area, or maybe the children have some sort of behavioural issues like autism and they'd get bullied at a regular school. There are not so much the religious types who distrust every single thing the Government does, like public schools! There are also private Christian schools, Catholic schools, and schools that have a christian ethos or at least good values taught.

I help teach Christian/Biblical values in public schools.
 
Yes it was similar for us but I only have sisters 😂 I don’t feel negative towards it but I was very sheltered and didn’t realize how polarizing it was
i understand. when i became born again in 1993, the 1st issue God conversed with me was to forgive my parents. it had occurred immediately, i didn't even have to try to forgive them, it was done. that's God's grace & power!
 
  • Heart
Reactions: seoulsearch