Different up bringing

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Maryyy2

New member
Sep 29, 2026
7
11
3
18
I grew up in a very strict and sheltered environment where my dad believed girls needed rules, chores, discipline, and to be taught to listen and obey. If we did something wrong, he believed we needed to be spanked. I was homeschooled, attended church twice a week, and regularly participated in Bible studies. Because of how I was raised, I sometimes feel like I’m very different from the rest of the world and am still trying to understand how to fit into a society with values and experiences that are so different from what I grew up knowing.
 
  • Heart
Reactions: seoulsearch
I grew up in a very strict and sheltered environment where my dad believed girls needed rules, chores, discipline, and to be taught to listen and obey. If we did something wrong, he believed we needed to be spanked. I was homeschooled, attended church twice a week, and regularly participated in Bible studies. Because of how I was raised, I sometimes feel like I’m very different from the rest of the world and am still trying to understand how to fit into a society with values and experiences that are so different from what I grew up knowing.
First, howdy and welcome to the forum.

Sticking out has advantages. If you're just like all the other girls, they passively like you because they don't notice you. If you're different you won't have as many people like you, but the ones who do like you will really be your friends.

Also if you're just like all the other girls you are competing for the guys who like that kind of girl. If you're different you get the guys who don't like all those other girls. ;)
 
I grew up in a very strict and sheltered environment where my dad believed girls needed rules, chores, discipline, and to be taught to listen and obey. If we did something wrong, he believed we needed to be spanked. I was homeschooled, attended church twice a week, and regularly participated in Bible studies. Because of how I was raised, I sometimes feel like I’m very different from the rest of the world and am still trying to understand how to fit into a society with values and experiences that are so different from what I grew up knowing.
"It sounds like you grew up in a very structured environment with clear expectations about behavior, family roles, faith, and discipline. That kind of upbringing can leave someone feeling both grounded in certain values and disconnected from people whose experiences were very different.
Many people who were raised in strict homes find that adulthood involves sorting through what they genuinely believe, what helped them, what may have hurt them, and how they want to relate to a much broader world.
Trying to understand where you fit does not mean abandoning your upbringing.
It means learning how to navigate life as your own person.
You are not the only one who feels this way.
People from sheltered religious homes, military families, strict cultural backgrounds, and even highly secular environments such as myself, often experience a similar adjustment when they encounter lifestyles and beliefs they were never exposed to growing up.
It is okay to take your time, ask questions, and learn about others without feeling pressured to become like them.
Your past is part of your story, but it does not have to limit your ability to connect with people who have different experiences."
"What part has been the hardest for you, understanding other people, feeling understood by them, or figuring out what you personally believe apart from how you were raised?"
 
  • Like
Reactions: Starsdance7
I grew up in a very strict and sheltered environment where my dad believed girls needed rules, chores, discipline, and to be taught to listen and obey. If we did something wrong, he believed we needed to be spanked. I was homeschooled, attended church twice a week, and regularly participated in Bible studies. Because of how I was raised, I sometimes feel like I’m very different from the rest of the world and am still trying to understand how to fit into a society with values and experiences that are so different from what I grew up knowing.
I grew up in a very strict and sheltered environment where my dad believed girls needed rules, chores, discipline, and to be taught to listen and obey. If we did something wrong, he believed we needed to be spanked. I was homeschooled, attended church twice a week, and regularly participated in Bible studies. Because of how I was raised, I sometimes feel like I’m very different from the rest of the world and am still trying to understand how to fit into a society with values and experiences that are so different from what I grew up knowing.
Dear Mary

Welcome to this forum.

It is excellent to feel different from the rest of the world, truly you do not want to be part of it. The world values are nothing good at this time as you will see in the coming years, it will get much worse. You do not want to fit in this corrupt world ever, Chose your friends carefully always, Abide in Christ and follow the narrow path always.

God Bless You Mary.
 
I grew up in a very strict and sheltered environment where my dad believed girls needed rules, chores, discipline, and to be taught to listen and obey. If we did something wrong, he believed we needed to be spanked. I was homeschooled, attended church twice a week, and regularly participated in Bible studies. Because of how I was raised, I sometimes feel like I’m very different from the rest of the world and am still trying to understand how to fit into a society with values and experiences that are so different from what I grew up knowing.
Have you recently left home, are you in a flatting situation, or maybe have a job?
Or is your job in the church, I can imagine you might be a Sunday School teacher or something like that with your background. Are you engaged to be married? Because it seems like your dad was training you to be someone's wife. Maybe a pastor's wife.

Not everyone will fit into society, 'society' favours the rich people. It doesn't care what religion you are, but it does seem to care about how much wealth you have, or your family has. That is the world's values, for the most part.

Christians are in the world but not of it. What God requires is for you to be salt and light. If your character is like Jesus, it will shine through wherever you are, even in the darkest places.
 
I grew up in a very strict and sheltered environment where my dad believed girls needed rules, chores, discipline, and to be taught to listen and obey. If we did something wrong, he believed we needed to be spanked. I was homeschooled, attended church twice a week, and regularly participated in Bible studies. Because of how I was raised, I sometimes feel like I’m very different from the rest of the world and am still trying to understand how to fit into a society with values and experiences that are so different from what I grew up knowing.
I was not home-schooled; however, at least most of the rest of your description sounds very familiar. I grew up a boy in my mother's home after my parents divorced when I was about 6 or 7 years old. My brothers and I spent time with our dad mostly on weekends - sometimes longer in the summer during the break from school.

I want you to know that you are very different from the rest of the world - and, I hope you are very proud (in the best possible way) that your dad cared enough to try his best to put you on the "straight and narrow" for all of the right reasons. It is truly a blessing - and, you need to always look at it that way.

While it is true that I believe there were times when my parents (especially my dad) "went a bit overboard" with discipline, etc. - nonetheless, I am very grateful for the way they raised me - it has kept me out of a lot of the kinds of trouble that people too easily find themselves in if they did not grow up in a highly-disciplined structured environment. I have never been in jail, never done drugs, always kept away from the wrong crowds, etc. - all of the things I have not experienced in my life because my parents saw to it that I turned out about as straight-laced as they come. (Albeit, I have "mellowed" quite a bit over the decades - in many ways, I am quite laid-back now - still always try to do the right thing - only, from a bit more laid-back live-and-let-live "stance" now.)

Yes, I will say that - for me being male - it was definitely too 'sheltered'. :(

Still - my parents taught me 'right-from-wrong' - and, I have always tried my very best to stand firmly on the 'right-and-proper' path ever since.

My best advice to you - look for other like-minded Christians to surround yourself with (Do it now - waste no time - it becomes more difficult as you grow older.) - and, do not let the world weaken your faith or resolve to always do what is right in the eyes of God.
 
  • Like
Reactions: tourist
I grew up in a very strict and sheltered environment where my dad believed girls needed rules, chores, discipline, and to be taught to listen and obey. If we did something wrong, he believed we needed to be spanked. I was homeschooled, attended church twice a week, and regularly participated in Bible studies. Because of how I was raised, I sometimes feel like I’m very different from the rest of the world and am still trying to understand how to fit into a society with values and experiences that are so different from what I grew up knowing.
you would fit well into a Christian society.