Hello. I wonder how the pastor's deal with challenging personalities? I'm an MDiv student graduating sometime before the years end. I have 2 people that I know who are very hard core when it comes to a couple of secondary doctrines. They keep pushing them like they have some sort of agenda for me to accept what they say. I enjoy conversation and exploring ideas, but I find that I get annoyed and don't want to talk to these people. I don't even talk about my thoughts because they make me feel uncomfortable with their strong positions.
I wonder how pastors deal with this?
AL
This "hard core" secondary issues.....
I'm going to assume they fall outside of the two greatest commandments of loving God and our neighbor.
And yes, there are people who get all wound up on particular things.
As a passionate person myself I am prone to get wound up on topics. (Putting it mildly)
However the old axiom holds true. (No one cares what you know if they dont know that you care)
Meaning, your relationship with people is of a much higher priority than which direction they faced the water when baptized. (It was an obscure thing decades ago)
Some of these "doctrines" are relatively harmless and unimportant....like Baptists with their demands for full immersion baptisms.
Some are much more divisive and restrictive like King James Version Only or Seventh Day only....essentially creating laws, restrictions or requirements (handwashing) that really have a thin basis in scripture and do absolutely nothing to strengthen relationships with God or man.
And those relationships are the very object of the exercise now arent they?
Our lives are to be unmarked by anything other than our relationship with God. It's supposed to be our defining characteristic.
And for the most part that's true.
So long as we do not step anywhere near gnosticism.....we are in safe territory...kinda. (not gonna discuss those with identity changing careers....that's another whole discussion)
But our relationships do tend to define us....
Politicians tend to seek out publicity pictures with clergy....so they can be viewed as honest. And clergy do likewise to seem relevant.
Who is using who more? Ramifications for doing so?
I'll leave those as questions for you to figure out....
Because when you do....you will answer the question of your association with these guys with divisive doctrines.
Because I'm capable of reading what isn't printed....and maybe you will come back to read my answer.