Difficult discussions

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Sunshine2026

New member
Jun 14, 2026
16
24
3
22
So this is for difficult discussions. Any topic is fine.

So here’s my difficult topic…
I’m autistic. Not bad enough to where I need help but decent enough to be recognized as weird. My parents have always said I should never have kids due to that factor…but it hurts my heart a lot at the thought of if I might not be able to have kids. And I get it I don’t want to curse my kids with severe autism and they not be able to have a good life but I’m also torn like I just want little kids ya know. What do you think?
 
Hello Sunshine, welcome to the forum! Are you planning on getting married soon? Perhaps
children is something you and your partner should discuss. How do you feel about adoption?


welcome823-260w.png

Welcome!
:)
 
Well I had a partner we recently broke up. I’m thinking about these things just to prepare myself for the guy that God does want me to be with. I’m open to adoption it’s just the fact that I won’t be able to expirence the pregnancy part of it ya know. Like I get it pregnancy is rough but I would love to have that expirence. My parents said “you can barely take care of yourself u don’t need a kid and we won’t ever help you if you have a kid…”☹️ They did say they understand my sadness about not being able to have children but that sometimes stuff like that happens.
 
I looked this up: An autistic person will not 100% have an autistic child. While genetics play a major role,
inheritance is complex and a single “autism gene” doesn't exist. Two autistic parents can absolutely have
a neurotypical child; autistic parents have a higher chance of having neurotypical children than autistic ones.
 
Well..Rachel in the Bible wanted children too but couldn't have them. She took fertility drugs - the mandrakes. All this time her sister was popping out babies with her husband. It's said the God opens the womb and closes it as He chooses. She eventually had Joseph.
Poor Rachel, she had everything, she had Jacobs love (her sister Leah didn't, even with four children) a son but desperately wanted MORE children, and when she finally fell pregnant, again it killed her. Her baby Benjamin survived, though and her sister looked after him. She also her maids act as surrogates and had two sons through them.

I find that story in the Bible really sad because both sisters (and maids) had children but they each had difficulty, I don't think any of them got what they really wanted. It was up to God to open and close the womb of these women and He did that throughout the Bible. Some of the children couldn't be taken care of and they were sent away to others i.e Moses, some were conceived out of wedlock with no male input at all- Jesus! When Hannah had hers after praying she dedicated her child Samuel to God.

Ya know, your parents are probably like a lot of would be grandparents, they don't want to know them. Personally, I think it's the husband who ought to help with the raising of children and man up and be a proper dad/parent not JUST the mother. She can't do everything. Mums have to go through physical labour, dads don't.

Have you ever been in a maternity hospital or witnessed a live birth? It really is not pretty. Many women have to be on drugs or get cut open to have a child. Miscarriages and stillbirths are also frequent, though it's not really talked about much. It happens too. So sometimes we are spared the trouble. Nursing is not always easy either.

I just think as someone who loves children but knows it's not likely I'll have any of my own or experience the excruciating agony of having my body torn apart, that it's probably for the best. Don't know about adoption, but thats not always easy either. A lot of Christians couples do it, but I think comes with it's own problems. It don't help to be wanting something you can't have and then if you DO have a child, to then give it away to someone else. Having a child is expensive.

Guys, are you listening? I don't think any man/male on here wants to have children i.e physically bear them, at least I've never heard any guy say they want that. Funny that. If they did, they not exactly vocal about it, or willing to help that part of it. lol

Having said that, I kind of don't really understand your pain about wanting to go through all that pain.... most mothers I talk to don't choose to remember that and a lot were on drugs the whole time. So they don't really brag about that. I guess its more of the baby in your arms kind of ideal that happens after, except its a weird thing if you have a baby in hospital these days they don't want you to stick around too long and hurry you out cos you occupying an expensive hospital bed. If it were me, I'd just have a baby squatting in the bushes cos that all sounds way too complicated though it is insane that God wants women to have babies and designs it so a baby's head is too big to get out of a narrow birth canal.

My mum's friend was a midwife, and helped hundreds of mothers give birth but she never had any children of her own, and was kind of jealous that my mum had FOUR under four, and wanted to keep one of my twin brothers. Of course I think she was joking when she said that. Mum would have probably given me away though if she could lol.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sunshine2026
Live your life, find someone and marry if you want. Parents have a way of coming around when there are grandkids involved. But if you do get married and have kids (in that order is best), expect to be the one raising them, not to have your parents helping raise them.

Ultimately sounds like kids are a future question. Focus on what you can do to give you a good life now and when you're in a relationship that looks like it's headed to marriage you can discuss children with your partner. And if your parents don't have a role to play in raising the kids they don't get a vote.
 
I also know little kids don't stay little for that long...they grow. I'm taller than both my parents.
If you gave birth to little people maybe. There was one autistic guy in church who had a son, but I have no idea what happened to the mother. The grandmother helped raise him. I don't really know any autistic mothers with children, but I had a few children that would have been diagnosed with autism at school. Depends on how severe the autism is.
I have an autistic neighbour who would have liked children but he didn't mainly for that reason, though actually the girlfriend he might have had them with turned out to be bad news and I think his family was glad he didnt stay with her. The family is also deaf, and his sister had a son, who didn't turn out to be deaf, but the dad took off and she raised him solo.
The other sister, had baby via IVF, and then she turned out to be trans, and changed to be a boy. So it's different for everyone. You never know how each child will turn out.
One of my friends the mother has neurofibromatosis, had a daughter who also had it , the dad (who didn't) didn't stick around they divorced when the daughter was 2, he had a another daughter with someone else who didn't have that but that mother didn't stick around with him.
So its seems to me a lot of parents just don't stay together after having a special needs child. I flatted with a mother, she had a deaf daughter, she was not deaf herself, she also had a very loud son who was not deaf. Her partner did not stick with her either. I think must have been passed down through the dad. She eventually had another daughter (not deaf) with her new bf and got married.

One workmate I knew had four daughters and the last one was special needs, the mother was so tired and got depressed, and he even said to me that when they had the fourth, they were told that they shouldn't have her, but had her anyway, and she's delightful. I don't know if they still together and he was pretty old when he had them, but I do remember he and his wife may have struggled, they wouldn't have minded if they could have a nanny!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sunshine2026
I’m thinking about these things just to prepare myself for the guy that God does want me to be with.
There is some wisdom in preparing for the future, but be careful to not let thoughts of it consume you. Jesus said that there is sufficient evil to deal with every day, and we ought not take thought or worry about even tomorrow. One day at a time, as God leads.​
 
So this is for difficult discussions. Any topic is fine.

So here’s my difficult topic…
I’m autistic. Not bad enough to where I need help but decent enough to be recognized as weird. My parents have always said I should never have kids due to that factor…but it hurts my heart a lot at the thought of if I might not be able to have kids. And I get it I don’t want to curse my kids with severe autism and they not be able to have a good life but I’m also torn like I just want little kids ya know. What do you think?
It could be that the genetics will skip a generation. Or not. Maybe you could somehow find out the odds of passing this condition on to future children.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sunshine2026
Well I had a partner we recently broke up. I’m thinking about these things just to prepare myself for the guy that God does want me to be with. I’m open to adoption it’s just the fact that I won’t be able to expirence the pregnancy part of it ya know. Like I get it pregnancy is rough but I would love to have that expirence. My parents said “you can barely take care of yourself u don’t need a kid and we won’t ever help you if you have a kid…”☹️ They did say they understand my sadness about not being able to have children but that sometimes stuff like that happens.
Perhaps your future husband will be more understanding and sympathetic than your parents. They may understand your sadness but appear to lack empathy. Sad situation.
 
So this is for difficult discussions. Any topic is fine.

So here’s my difficult topic…
I’m autistic. Not bad enough to where I need help but decent enough to be recognized as weird. My parents have always said I should never have kids due to that factor…but it hurts my heart a lot at the thought of if I might not be able to have kids. And I get it I don’t want to curse my kids with severe autism and they not be able to have a good life but I’m also torn like I just want little kids ya know. What do you think?
take lot's of time to figure this out. don't rush! if you are a Christian, you are in the best shape to hear from Jesus. be patient. if planning a family, make TOTALLY sure you have all the provisions necessary BEFORE the family arrives. everyone knows life gets more difficult all the time. AND NEVER DIVE INTO A RELATIONSHIP IN WHICH 1 OR BOTH PEOPLE ARE IN DEBT!!!!! did you know money is the #1 reason people get divorced. around mid N.Y. this is the case all too often. why are people having kids when they have very little or no money stored up? it's as common as dirt. i just found out yesterday that a couple got married, they want a child, but he wishes for her to quit her job. he doesn't earn a high salary. that's a mistake i say, especially in today's america.
 
So this is for difficult discussions. Any topic is fine.

So here’s my difficult topic…
I’m autistic. Not bad enough to where I need help but decent enough to be recognized as weird. My parents have always said I should never have kids due to that factor…but it hurts my heart a lot at the thought of if I might not be able to have kids. And I get it I don’t want to curse my kids with severe autism and they not be able to have a good life but I’m also torn like I just want little kids ya know. What do you think?

Okay....
Let's look at this from a realistic point.

Autism has MANY causes...and here in the USA we seem to have an epidemic....and it was a growing epidemic before anyone figured out we were having an issue.

We now have several health crises and they might be related and might not. Vaccinations might be a part of it...drying agents on standing wheat might be a part of the problem...all sorts of things might be causing the issues of epidemic proportions of autism.

Genetics is a LOW order cause for the problem. All that means is that whatever caused your problem might do the same for your children. And autistic people have gifts....sometimes spectacularly wonderful gifts. Elon Musk's fascination with problem solving and goal achieving hasn't exactly hurt him. He is a bit goofy to have at parties and doesn't realy hold his end of a conversation well....but....he ain't broke and he brushes his teeth regularly. (He also has 13 kids with various women).

You want children....
AWESOME....we need babies to be born like nothing we have needed before. We will be short roughly 600,000 babies being born this year alone to replace our aged dying population.

So....for all those urging caution ppppbbbbttttt. Put a sock in it.

For you?
Find some ugly guy you like and start having them like puppies. Because careers are completely unsatisfying.... nobody has ever wished they worked more unpaid overtime at their job even once.
But many have wished they took more time for family and friends, had more children, taught their kids to have more grandkids....
EVERY

SINGLE

TIME.

Getting the picture yet....you get one shot at life....love hard, richly, unconditionally, wisely, and completely.

You can never go wrong with that.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sunshine2026
Your parents don't want you to have a baby because they don't want to take care of it so, what does that have to do with your capability to care for a baby. You might care for it more than you care for yourself, but only you, and God, would know that. Maybe it would give you more reason to care for yourself, considering that part of pregnancy is caring for yourself in order to care for the developing child. There is a saying that goes, "Father's don't make children. Children make fathers." God knows if you'll turn out to be a better, or worse, mother than your mother.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sunshine2026
So this is for difficult discussions. Any topic is fine.

So here’s my difficult topic…
I’m autistic. Not bad enough to where I need help but decent enough to be recognized as weird. My parents have always said I should never have kids due to that factor…but it hurts my heart a lot at the thought of if I might not be able to have kids. And I get it I don’t want to curse my kids with severe autism and they not be able to have a good life but I’m also torn like I just want little kids ya know. What do you think?

Hey miss Sunshine, welcome to the site! It's nice to meet you.

I don't think your autism should keep you from having kids, but if you are truly unable to care for them that is a major concern. Perhaps that is what your patents are warning about. They should definitely not be expected to raise and/or support your children.

I wouldn't worry about it too much right now though, since you aren't dating anyone. If you do start dating then it would definitely but something to discuss with your guy.

In the meantime, perhaps you could volunteer for the children's ministry at church. It would give you an idea of whether you are good with kids, and a tiny glimpse of what caring for them might entail (definitely not a full picture though, parenting is a HUGE responsibility!)

Just curious, do you agree with your parents assessment that you are barely able to care for yourself right now? If so then no judgement whatsoever, but it's definitely something to consider and work on. Can you think of any changes you could make that might improve your parents view?

I'm sorry for what you're going through, I understand wanting kids and how hard that can be when it feels impossible. My best advice is to give that desire up to Jesus and ask Him to do what He wants with it. You might be surprised by the results! 😉
 
  • Heart
  • Like
Reactions: Sculpt and Magenta
Don't do children's ministry alone

I mean for more that 12 children. Actually I would keep the number to maybe just 3 or 4. A lot of children need your undivided attention, and often it's because they ain't getting it at home. People say 'only child' are spoiled, but I just think they are lucky.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sunshine2026
take lot's of time to figure this out. don't rush! if you are a Christian, you are in the best shape to hear from Jesus. be patient. if planning a family, make TOTALLY sure you have all the provisions necessary BEFORE the family arrives. everyone knows life gets more difficult all the time. AND NEVER DIVE INTO A RELATIONSHIP IN WHICH 1 OR BOTH PEOPLE ARE IN DEBT!!!!! did you know money is the #1 reason people get divorced. around mid N.Y. this is the case all too often. why are people having kids when they have very little or no money stored up? it's as common as dirt. i just found out yesterday that a couple got married, they want a child, but he wishes for her to quit her job. he doesn't earn a high salary. that's a mistake i say, especially in today's america.
It is really, very stupid to do that and hurts the children more.
Also when the parents die and leave the children with debt they have to pay off even when they are adults. Totally stupid.
 
My parents said “you can barely take care of yourself u don’t need a kid and we won’t ever help you if you have a kid…”☹️ They did say they understand my sadness about not being able to have children but that sometimes stuff like that happens.

This attitude of your parents.....it has a name.
"Powdered Butt syndrome"
Basically because your parents powdered your butt when changing your diapers....they do not believe you will ever do anything as good or as sufficiently as they can or will.....ever in your lifetime.

I went to culinary school....became a fine dining chef at hotels and etc(like Gordon Ramsey).....but my mother and father to this day believe I cannot cook very well.....no matter how hard, fast, and furiously they can shovel it in when eating my cooking....or the professional critics comments about how I've made the best ______ in the state/region.....those things doesn't matter....I'm still their little boy who needs his diaper changed and my butt powdered and theres literally no way I can cook better than my mother and it certainly isn't special at all according to my father....

And I just nod and smile and shake my head when they arent looking....I let my dad take credit for ice cream I took 8 months teaching him how to make. Literally making it for him for 6 months....till I made him slowly begin doing it himself.....now he can and she is tickled pink about how everyone likes his ice cream.

Not gonna talk about the whole bread thing....lol....(I built and owned a bakery)

Dont get caught up in this powdered butt syndrome....you do you. And if you remember when you go out to be clean and smell nice....never mind the rest. Matching Sox not required.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sunshine2026
I’m autistic. Not bad enough to where I need help but decent enough to be recognized as weird
Precious friend @Sunshine2026, I will pray for you:

Please Be Very Richly Encouraged And Edified and
Comforted In Christ, and In His Precious Word Of Truth:

God's Grace Word for our infirmities


----------
And, precious friend(s), Please Be Very Richly Encouraged and Edified
In The Lord Jesus Christ and In His Precious Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided:


The Bible: The BIG Picture

Amen.
 
It is really, very stupid to do that and hurts the children more.
Also when the parents die and leave the children with debt they have to pay off even when they are adults. Totally stupid.
i'm not sure but it seems a married Christian couple down the street a ways who have 2 kids separated. she was the lady who knocked on my door about 3 years ago passing out tracts for their church. i attended, twas very dull, didn't go back.
 
i'm not sure but it seems a married Christian couple down the street a ways who have 2 kids separated. she was the lady who knocked on my door about 3 years ago passing out tracts for their church. i attended, twas very dull, didn't go back.
?
Were they in financial straits. Don't marry a gambler, a lot of men aren't very good with money.