Discount Store Chain in England Pulls Controversial Ouija Boards

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
Truly surprising that this outcry would impact retailers there to this degree.
From the article: well-known Free Presbyterian minister Rev David McIlveen opined that the 'game' is "an introduction to a world that is very satanic and takes control of a person's mind."

Coast to Coast October 9, 2020

By Tim Binnall
In response to a growing furor surrounding their decision to sell Ouija Boards at an incredibly low price, a chain of discount stores in England have pulled the controversial items from shelves. The British equivalent to an American dollar store, Poundland made headlines last week when it was discovered that their seasonal offerings for Halloween included a Ouija Board. The problematic product priced at merely a pound quickly sparked concerns among people online who feared that children could easily get their hands on the cheap Ouija Boards.

While it would seem that the Ouija Board backlash simply served as some good publicity for Poundland this Halloween season, the company was finally forced to take action when the issue went beyond the world of social media and a number of prominent figures, including a high profile religious figure and a member of Parliament, spoke out against the spirit boards. Announcing that they would no longer sell the items in stores, a spokesperson for the chain reportedly explained that "we had a message from the spirits to make the handful that were left vanish."

As one might imagine, the company's critics applauded their decision to no longer sell Ouija Boards. Specifically, well-known Free Presbyterian minister Rev David McIlveen opined that the 'game' is "an introduction to a world that is very satanic and takes control of a person's mind." Meanwhile, Parliament member Gregory Campbell, who had once actually argued that there needed to be regulations surrounding the sale of Ouija Boards, mused that the kerfuffle is "a lesson for retailers to examine the product they put on their shelves before they have actually made it for sale."

The news will also likely lead to a sigh of relief from members of the British ghost hunting community, who have been sounding the alarm ever since the story broke last week. One particularly perturbed paranormalist, Paul Marsters, warned that the spirit boards could unleash demons upon the world and, as such, declared that he was "profoundly shocked and just fuming really" when he learned that Poundland was selling the 'game.' Fortunately, it would seem that the collective fears of Ouija-wielding children inadvertently opening a doorway to Hell has been averted for now.

*The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board ...

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
intersting
but it seems it doesnt stop stores stocking and selling tarot cards.
and it seems theres little business owners can do when suppliers flood them with unwanted goods either that they cant return.

I would think owners would have more clout but they cant in chain stores it seems as head office does all the bulk ordering for them. Which is why its often better to be independently owned than kowtow to a chain. Sure, you might not rake in as much profits but thats the trade off, will you put people over profits, I think when it comes down to it, not many business owners or CEOs actually put people before profits, sadly.

Good on them for pulling the product though, not many would be brave enough to say 'im not stocking this highly profitable drugs/ouija boards/coca cola' and then actually do it.

AndyMaleh

Jun 26, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
"an introduction to a world that is very satanic and takes control of a person's mind."

I support that pastor. People must avoid anything that undermines faith in God, especially things mentioning (demonic) spirits outright. There are much better games out there anyways. I think it's good news.

Godspeed.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
It's a start at least. Though the retailers probably realize they can't do away with all things occult or pertaining to the psychic realm else they could lose customers.
There's also a school of thought that says government there shouldn't police peoples free choice as pertains to what is legally able to be sold in retail. The church should have no say in wholesale stocking.

I can see that point in that we know what troubles occurred with there was no separation of church and state.

And years ago who remembers the Archbishop of the church of England? Making a public address that he later walked back as pertains to Sharia law. And well before the Muslim refugee numbers entered England. What did he know then?

stepbystep

Aug 31, 2020
When I was in High School, I saw some kids at a party playing one of these games, and I just stood there and wondered why in the world anyone would? Some things are just evil from first sight, but some people are blinded to that fact I guess. There is something in Scripture about this, but I do not remember what or where just now.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
When I was in High School, I saw some kids at a party playing one of these games, and I just stood there and wondered why in the world anyone would? Some things are just evil from first sight, but some people are blinded to that fact I guess. There is something in Scripture about this, but I do not remember what or where just now.
Leviticus 19:31
“Do not turn to mediums or necromancers; do not seek them out, and so make yourselves unclean by them: I am the Lord your God.

Smoke

Oct 27, 2016
I believe in freedom... If you're against the ouija board, as I am, then boycott it. No worries. If you want to play with one, you should have the right to buy or sell one.

I support the store choosing to not supply it anymore, but not because I'm personally against the ouija board, but because it's their right as a business to make that decision. It's just hard to say if the store decided to pass on them because of the pressure from other people or because they themselves have a moral objective to it.

I morally object to alcohol and tobacco, but I'm not going to call upon everyone who views our bodies as sacred temples to pressure every retailer who sells alcohol or tobacco... Let them sell it... focus on educating people about the consequences of those products, be it moral and/or physical consequences.

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
I believe in freedom... If you're against the ouija board, as I am, then boycott it. No worries. If you want to play with one, you should have the right to buy or sell one.

I support the store choosing to not supply it anymore, but not because I'm personally against the ouija board, but because it's their right as a business to make that decision. It's just hard to say if the store decided to pass on them because of the pressure from other people or because they themselves have a moral objective to it.

I morally object to alcohol and tobacco, but I'm not going to call upon everyone who views our bodies as sacred temples to pressure every retailer who sells alcohol or tobacco... Let them sell it... focus on educating people about the consequences of those products, be it moral and/or physical consequences.
We are the salt of the earth... if we lessen the evil on this earth surely that is a good thing...

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
We are the salt of the earth... if we lessen the evil on this earth surely that is a good thing...
I would submit that the evil that is here doesn't lessen because a manufactured game board is no longer in stock at a retailer in England.
When I was a teenager people made their own talking boards. (Ouija's) I never participated in their activities because it didn't feel right and really didn't make any sense.

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
I would submit that the evil that is here doesn't lessen because a manufactured game board is no longer in stock at a retailer in England.
When I was a teenager people made their own talking boards. (Ouija's) I never participated in their activities because it didn't feel right and really didn't make any sense.
I think it would encourage evil practices; for example: the less Harry Potter books sold, the better.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
i think it would encourage evil practices, for example, the less Harry Potter books sold, the better.
Have you ever read the HP series or watched the movies?
Not all that well done. Boring really. And the movies, I watched the first, tried to watch the second due to a favorite actor starring, and couldn't do it.
Those don't depict real witchcraft either. More like playing on the old Bewitched image. Save for twitching the nose.

I was surfing the channels the other day and happened on an old rerun of "Ghost Whisperer". Jennifer Love Hewitt I think was the star who is suppose to be a medium. I stopped and watched for a minute because of this thread. There she was with a Parker Brothers Ouija board front and center. She talked to it and the planchette moved on its own in response.
When that show was current can you imagine the young people and likely the adult fans that bought those boards after that?

And that was well before but likely the start of the dark occult programming that's increasing on cable television.
And as far as I know the old show that was on television praising Lucifer as a good guy has moved to Netflix or somewhere like that. Lucifer, is the title of the show. He's a good guy angel misunderstood by his "dad" and where's he live? In the city of angels, Los Angeles. And whose his side kick? A demon.

The world lies in the power of the evil one. And now he's got cable as a means of communicating world wide.

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
With Human nature being as it is banning something only leads to people wanting to find out what all the fuss is about.
I predict there will be an increase in on line board sales between now and the end of the month. You dont need to be psychic
to see thsat coming.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
At one time England was the leading supplier of missionary's to the world, now they are a mission field.

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
With Human nature being as it is banning something only leads to people wanting to find out what all the fuss is about.
I predict there will be an increase in on line board sales between now and the end of the month. You dont need to be psychic
to see thsat coming.
We have a responsibility to do what is right before God, regardless of what the World may do...

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Yes, every thought, word and deed will be brought up for accounting.

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
Have you ever read the HP series or watched the movies?
Not all that well done. Boring really. And the movies, I watched the first, tried to watch the second due to a favorite actor starring, and couldn't do it.
Those don't depict real witchcraft either. More like playing on the old Bewitched image. Save for twitching the nose.

I was surfing the channels the other day and happened on an old rerun of "Ghost Whisperer". Jennifer Love Hewitt I think was the star who is suppose to be a medium. I stopped and watched for a minute because of this thread. There she was with a Parker Brothers Ouija board front and center. She talked to it and the planchette moved on its own in response.
When that show was current can you imagine the young people and likely the adult fans that bought those boards after that?

And that was well before but likely the start of the dark occult programming that's increasing on cable television.
And as far as I know the old show that was on television praising Lucifer as a good guy has moved to Netflix or somewhere like that. Lucifer, is the title of the show. He's a good guy angel misunderstood by his "dad" and where's he live? In the city of angels, Los Angeles. And whose his side kick? A demon.

The world lies in the power of the evil one. And now he's got cable as a means of communicating world wide.
I wouldn’t have anything to do with Harry Potter books or anything like that and refuse to even let it in my house; because the Bible says to shun evil. J K Rowling has actually said that she consulted real Wizards to obtain information for her books, so make no mistake, those books are evil and scripture tells us that the enemy is subtle.
God tells us to be holy as He is holy and that without holiness we shall not see God. Holiness is to be separate from evil things.

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
Yes, every thought, word and deed will be brought up for accounting.
6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. (1 John 1 v6-8)

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins.

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019

Smoke, sorry but this principle is flawed...Do you think paedophiles should have the freedom to abuse children??
This all comes down to right and wrong, and whether we as Christians stand for what is right.
Educating people won’t necessarily stop sin, either, unless they are educated with the gospel and get born again and filled with His Spirit... apart from Him we can do nothing but through Him all things are possible. Satan has blinded them and Jesus is the Light if the world.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
This comes up in our world, "our rights", when we have the indwelling Christ and allow Him to be manifest to the world through us, we are no longer our our own, we are His manifestation to earth, His created world. We represent him, with every thought word and deed.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
hmm well there are harry potter books in my school library and other books on fantasy and magic.
Theres a whole series called spirit animals.

I have read the harry potter series, the first books are interesting, but as the series progresses I find myself getting bored of it.
we also have the wizard of oz, the hobbit and wizards of once...all books with magic and witches and wizards in them.

Thers also lion the witch and the wardrobe, narnia series.

But I also have bibles and bible stories too. Its the childrens choice what they wish to borrow. when I first started there werent many bibles but I put more in.

The board games I have are pictionary, snake and ladders, chess, and hairy maclary.

I wouldnt have ouija board. I cant stop anyone from making their own and playing it, although I would disapprove if I knew that was going on in school. I have magnetic letters that children can make words from and let them use the whiteboard. I would rather they do that by writing their own words and sentences then try to contact spirits who probably cant spell anyway.

one class is putting on a halloween disco although I dont like it. If I was their teacher I wouldnt encourage it and do something alternative.