divorce, remarrriage and separation- Bibically?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Isnt marriage supoosed to be like, forever, even on bad days, through PMS, bad periods and smelly socks and baby vomit?
I have never waded through baby vomit, but couldn't helping each other through tough times be a bonding experience and bring about an even deeper appreciation and love for your partner and friend?

oyster67

May 24, 2014
If your wife prevents you from fully serving the Lord because she is selfish and needy for your time and money, then what?
Taking care of your wife is your service to the Lord. Why does a person that thinks this way get married in the first place? (I'm not sure I want to know).

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
Jesus said otherwise. Heart intention of lust is the same as the physical act of adultery itself
Where in that verse does it say doing something in your heart is the same as actually doing it? It doesn't. Jesus is just telling the disciples that they need to work on their hearts intents, but that doesn't mean that your hearts intents are the exact same thing as your actions. That's insane. Just because god can judge our hearts doesn't mean that we can do that amongst ourselves.
Jesus made the grounds for divorce remarkably easy. Which verses say otherwise?
The exact same verse you used. He is literally telling people that divorce is wrong, just like murder and adultery are wrong. 32 explains what is wrong with 31 and has little to do with 28. In each case, he's saying that the standard set by "what has been said by others" is too low. In mt.19 "moses permitted you to divorce your wives because of the hardness of your heart, but it was not so from the beginning." You can't just be like "well, my spouse probably had a momentary fleeting fantasy when she saw that bodybuilder... I think I'm gonna kick her to the curb". That's dumb.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Jesus said otherwise. Heart intention of lust is the same as the physical act of adultery itself.
No....
Matthew 5:28
28But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
It does not say "in the physical". It says "in his heart".

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Jesus made the grounds for divorce remarkably easy.
I think it's pretty clear what Jesus wanted...

Matthew
19:4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made [them] at the beginning made them male and female,
19:5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
19:6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
19:7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
19:8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

Perhaps we could say that Jesus made the grounds for going to Hell remarkably easy. Some search and seek for an opportunity to slither out of their vows at every juncture.

Nov 26, 2012
??????????????o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O?????????????
Why are you shocked that answers addressing Mosaic Law in ancient Jerusalem are not directly applicable in post modern, women liberated, New Covenant Canada? Like I stated, me divorcing my wife has no impact on her sex life.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Why are you shocked that answers addressing Mosaic Law in ancient Jerusalem are not directly applicable in post modern, women liberated, New Covenant Canada? Like I stated, me divorcing my wife has no impact on her sex life.
2 Timothy
3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Nov 26, 2012
Taking care of your wife is your service to the Lord. Why does a person that thinks this way get married in the first place? (I'm not sure I want to know).
Whether you want to know or don’t, I would like to answer. My former self married a wonderful selfless woman who made me feel desirable when I felt average. She loved to keep a nice tidy house and pulled abilities out of me that I didn’t know existed. After four children and Facebook that woman transformed into something much different. Once she had children she used them to feed her ego and use their accomplishments to satisfy her longing for excellence. Her envy prevents her from enjoying all of the less spectacular joys of life. Her incessant need for pleasure and hatred for boredom causes hard earned money to be frivolously spent on lavish food, experiences and belongings. Anyone who attempts to reason with her or go against her selfish desires is quickly cut low with scornful remarks followed by bitter silence. The kids ask me what’s wrong with her. Mr Oyster let me ask you, if we have truly become one flesh and this flesh has become cancerous, should the rest of the body die in this diseased state? Is this dividing of the flesh a sin or a surgery? I have lived for at least fifteen years in this wilderness. I know exactly what it means to love the unlovable and die to self. I know because I hate my life, I will keep it forever. The Lord told me to stay so I stayed. Recently I am thinking my sentence has been served. If He lets me leave I will leave. My children are mostly grown. They know how much I have suffered and they thank me for sticking it out. There will be no happy ending, but there may be a productive beginning. For almost a quarter of a century I have worked to make an ever discontented woman comfortable. Let me ask according to your post, is this my service to the Lord?

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Whether you want to know or don’t, I would like to answer. My former self married a wonderful selfless woman who made me feel desirable when I felt average. She loved to keep a nice tidy house and pulled abilities out of me that I didn’t know existed. After four children and Facebook that woman transformed into something much different. Once she had children she used them to feed her ego and use their accomplishments to satisfy her longing for excellence. Her envy prevents her from enjoying all of the less spectacular joys of life. Her incessant need for pleasure and hatred for boredom causes hard earned money to be frivolously spent on lavish food, experiences and belongings. Anyone who attempts to reason with her or go against her selfish desires is quickly cut low with scornful remarks followed by bitter silence. The kids ask me what’s wrong with her. Mr Oyster let me ask you, if we have truly become one flesh and this flesh has become cancerous, should the rest of the body die in this diseased state? Is this dividing of the flesh a sin or a surgery? I have lived for at least fifteen years in this wilderness. I know exactly what it means to love the unlovable and die to self. I know because I hate my life, I will keep it forever. The Lord told me to stay so I stayed. Recently I am thinking my sentence has been served. If He lets me leave I will leave. My children are mostly grown. They know how much I have suffered and they thank me for sticking it out. There will be no happy ending, but there may be a productive beginning. For almost a quarter of a century I have worked to make an ever discontented woman comfortable. Let me ask according to your post, is this my service to the Lord?
How far did Jesus go for you?

Nov 26, 2012
2 Timothy
3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Agreed, but if the Law is no longer in effect, and is circumstances surrounding that revoked law are dissimilar then does it apply? Should we avoid lobster?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
What does God say about divorce and remarriage in the Bible? Is that applicable to us today?
Whatever God says about this is applicable to Christians. And Christ already made it clear that divorce is permissible for only one reason -- adultery on the part of one spouse. God hates divorce.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
So you think men miserably catering to the insatiable carnal desires of selfish women is effectively serving God?
1 Corinthians 7:33 But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please [his] wife.