Do agnostics go to hell?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
You seem to have forgotten things I said to you earlier and elsewhere.

Are you looking for reasons to believe, or reasons not to believe?

Do you spend any time in prayer? I highly recommend it :)

I want to believe in Jesus and the impossibilities that can become possible in this world because of His words but I don't know what is keeping me doubting His goodness. Something just makes me think that, it's about His love for all mankind despite their beliefs. There are people who do find direction and peace just by meditation and surrendering their problems to a 'greater force' not necessarily Jesus Christ. I don't know what to say about that. We thumping our Bibles and preaching out loud about Jesus ....how does it bring a total spiritual change in someone's life? How does it make Jesus above everything that they could reach out to? And if they get their peace by doing meditation, yoga and such things. Why would they want to seek Jesus ?
Hello Scarlett :) It is the indwelling of the Holy Spirit of God which brings a total spiritual change in people's lives. It is true that many do not want to seek Jesus... preconceived ideas about religion in general, and Christianity in particular, and even about God, not knowing Him personally, are primary reasons for this, and Scripture tells us too, that the natural man (one without the indwelling of the Holy Spirit of God) is hostile toward God. I spent a few years before becoming a member here speaking to all manner of non-believers online on two different sites, and boy oh boy, I found out really quick the lengths and depths of that hostility. My own stubbornness toward God and aversion to anything Biblical before I became a believer also help me understand how true it is that believing in God and accepting the gospel as truth were not something the "natural man" normally aspires to, and it may well have been impossible for me to achieve on my own without God moving powerfully and profoundly in my life.

People do seek truth in their lives, though, and peace is highly valued, especially inner peace. The question of whether or not there is a God should be of utmost importance in anyone's search for truth. Jesus said that no one comes to the Father except through/by Him.

Consider what C. S. Lewis had to say on the matter:

“I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him [that is, Christ]: ‘I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept His claim to be God.’ That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic–on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg–or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse…. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”

Some non-believers have that attitude about Jesus, that He was a good man and a good teacher and said some lovely things. And off they go searching for truth elsewhere. They may find people and practices that temporarily help in their struggles and challenges; if you were to closely question many of these people about their beliefs regarding God, religion, and Christianity, you would probably find that a great many of them really are hostile in their minds towards such things, believing religion to be a tool to control people, blaming Christianity for many if not all the ills of the world (instead of human nature), and believing the Biblical God to be a heartless monster. Some consider themselves to be spiritual while others reject anything that smacks of spirituality. Many will simply say God does not exist, and that those who believe in Him do so because we were told to, being unable to think for ourselves, that Christians are brainwashed and believe in fairy tales, have an imaginary friend, etc etc. That the Bible God is based on the primitive superstitions of iron age knuckle dragging cave dwelling goat herders, while they consider themselves to be too smart and too sophisticated and more logical and more rational and too intelligent for such (pride), clinging to modern science for answers, the claims of which they accept on faith while pooh poohing faith. Some will even say that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not, whereas God promises to reveal Himself to those who diligently and sincerely seek Him. Each must make their own choice, and as far as I am concerned, it is the most important decision one can make in their life.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Alpha Film Series // Episode 01 // Is There More To Life Than This

Alpha Film Series // Episode 02 // Who is Jesus

There are ten videos total; I hope you watch and benefit from them :)

Jan 14, 2021
For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another; In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel. - Romans 2:14-16
The most important part of the conversation depends on what is meant by "agnostic". Some people use "agnostic" to express ambivalence (one part of your mind says "yes" and another part of your mind says "no"). If this is the case, how is this any different than any of us? Who hasn't had doubt before? Who doesn't fall somewhere on that spectrum of believe and doubt (even by Moses when he struck his staff twice).

If a baptism and a verbal confirmation of belief in Christ are required, what about those too young to understand, speak, or think in the common tongue? Is a baby that dies shortly after birth destined to hell? What if the baby was baptised before dying?

Similarly, I don't think a self-titled "agnostic" would have any predetermined destination. Each person is judged by the light they receive.

CS1

May 23, 2012
The most important part of the conversation depends on what is meant by "agnostic". Some people use "agnostic" to express ambivalence (one part of your mind says "yes" and another part of your mind says "no"). If this is the case, how is this any different than any of us? Who hasn't had doubt before? Who doesn't fall somewhere on that spectrum of believe and doubt (even by Moses when he struck his staff twice).

If a baptism and a verbal confirmation of belief in Christ are required, what about those too young to understand, speak, or think in the common tongue? Is a baby that dies shortly after birth destined to hell? What if the baby was baptised before dying?

Similarly, I don't think a self-titled "agnostic" would have any predetermined destination. Each person is judged by the light they receive.
I disagree an agnostic is one who has no faith because they have not seen so they can believe. Secular calls this skepticism. the agnostic would have to abandon the skepticism and embrace Christ by faith. Which Hebrews call a substance. And without it, we are unable to please God.

Jan 14, 2021
I disagree an agnostic is one who has no faith because they have not seen so they can believe. Secular calls this skepticism. the agnostic would have to abandon the skepticism and embrace Christ by faith. Which Hebrews call a substance. And without it, we are unable to please God.
It depends then on how someone is using the term "agnostic". Someone self-describing as an "agnostic" could mean a range of things. If someone is predominantly doubtful or skeptical, perhaps faithless is the right term for it. But if someone is lost in their feelings on the issue (any sort of ambivalence), faithless might not be the right descriptor. Someone might embrace Christ in their heart without putting that concept to words (or clear coherent thought). Someone might decide to verbally reject (or abstain from expressing clear alignment with) the concept of Christ as it is presented by a false church, but ultimately find their way to eventually expressing that what they resonate with internally is indeed Christ. I see that a person may speak with their heart and deeds that they are in Christ before they speak out with words or conceptually realise it for themselves.

Agnostic doesn't always mean skeptic.

CS1

May 23, 2012
It depends then on how someone is using the term "agnostic". Someone self-describing as an "agnostic" could mean a range of things. If someone is predominantly doubtful or skeptical, perhaps faithless is the right term for it. But if someone is lost in their feelings on the issue (any sort of ambivalence), faithless might not be the right descriptor. Someone might embrace Christ in their heart without putting that concept to words (or clear coherent thought). Someone might decide to verbally reject (or abstain from expressing clear alignment with) the concept of Christ as it is presented by a false church, but ultimately find their way to eventually expressing that what they resonate with internally is indeed Christ. I see that a person may speak with their heart and deeds that they are in Christ before they speak out with words or conceptually realise it for themselves.

Either you come to Jesus in faith drawn by the Holy Spirit, surrender to Christ. placing your trust in the blood of Christ and faith in His death burial and resurrection, or you did not do this and you are still lost in sin.

Jan 14, 2021
Either you come to Jesus in faith drawn by the Holy Spirit, surrender to Christ. placing your trust in the blood of Christ and faith in His death burial and resurrection, or you did not do this and you are still lost in sin.
The conversation becomes more complicated when we look at theory of mind and the science of belief as a state of consciousness.

https://academic.oup.com/ct/article/25/1/23/4061179

May 22, 2020

What?...an agnostic is an agnostic. Secularism is difficult to apply in a Christian way.
Read the dictionary;

ag·nos·tic
/aɡˈnästik/

noun
  • 1. a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.
adjective
  • 1.relating to agnostics or agnosticism.

Mar 4, 2020
Do agnostics go to hell?
No one but Christians are saved.

Every other ideology, philosophy, religion, spirituality, belief system, or lack thereof will not save someone.

Only faith in Christ saves anyone.

Jan 14, 2021
No one but Christians are saved.

Every other ideology, philosophy, religion, spirituality, belief system, or lack thereof will not save someone.

Only faith in Christ saves anyone.
Do babies go to hell?

Mar 4, 2020
Do babies go to hell?
The Bible does not specifically answer that question, but a baby is incapable understanding the gospel. It is my belief that God is righteous and merciful and will make an exception for babies or people who can't mentally understand.

Jesus said this in John 9:41:
41Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.

Maybe this is a clue to answering your question.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
I don't think it would be overreaching to believe everyone are born believers and have to learn doubt (albeit possibly very early as being susceptible to influence).

I recently learned a couple theories concerning what one psychologist (if not correctly recalled as a psychiatrist) referred to as the subconscious and another, a neurologist, called the nonconscious (although I suspect both might've better. more specifically, referred to as spirit. Regarding each stance on the age of maturity of these consciousnesses respectively, I can't clearly recall the latter but the former posited this was achieved in the third trimester of gestation. However, they both agreed in the area that these consciousnesses (though, imo, speaking of the same consciousness but using differing terms so I will refer to it in the singular henceforth) know only the truth and cannot be lied to, which leads to necessarily 'stuffing' this consciousness and so, if persistent in doing, eventually 'searing' it.

I believe this adequately explains how agnosticism comes into being.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I don't think it would be overreaching to believe everyone are born believers and have to learn doubt (albeit possibly very early as being susceptible to influence).

I recently learned a couple theories concerning what one psychologist (if not correctly recalled as a psychiatrist) referred to as the subconscious and another, a neurologist, called the nonconscious (although I suspect both might've better. more specifically, referred to as spirit. Regarding each stance on the age of maturity of these consciousnesses respectively, I can't clearly recall the latter but the former posited this was achieved in the third trimester of gestation. However, they both agreed in the area that these consciousnesses (though, imo, speaking of the same consciousness but using differing terms so I will refer to it in the singular henceforth) know only the truth and cannot be lied to, which leads to necessarily 'stuffing' this consciousness and so, if persistent in doing, eventually 'searing' it.

I believe this adequately explains how agnosticism comes into being.
You wanna try rewording that? You lost me at "stuffing" stuffing with falsehoods or what?

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Thank you for asking, I wasn't confident with that particular word choice. there. Yes, "stifling" might've been a better word choice, as in consciously stuffing that 'nagging truth' farther and farther down until it becomes easier and easier to ignore (in order to adopt that incorrect thinking). Although, as the neurologist Caroline Leaf explains in her latest writing, it will show up, and keep re-emerging in other forms such as upset stomach or stress, or some sort of nagging (physical) discomfort until it is properly addressed.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Thank you for asking, I wasn't confident with that particular word choice. there. Yes, "stifling" might've been a better word choice, as in consciously stuffing that 'nagging truth' farther and farther down until it becomes easier and easier to ignore (in order to adopt that incorrect thinking). Although, as the neurologist Caroline Leaf explains in her latest writing, it will show up, and keep re-emerging in other forms such as upset stomach or stress, or some sort of nagging (physical) discomfort until it is properly addressed.
Thanks for the clarification. Pretty interesting way of looking at it actually as it brings up some more forceful analogies for me (which is helpful) but I leave them unsaid lol.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
I should've brought scripture that came to mind that would help to support this view, but my memory recall comes up in piecemeal search terms that I'd have to look up in a bible app to accurately retrieve. Angels behold His face; thoughts captive; spiritual battles and such.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Do agnostics go to hell?
My understanding of agnostic is either 'don't know' God... or 'CAN'T know God'

From experience, those in the 'don't know' camp have more room to believe in God, whereas those in 'can't know'.. are more like atheists and have next to know room to believe.

In both cases they aren't believing in God. They would go to hell if they stayed on that philosophy of no belief in God.

They wouldn't of course go to hell.. if they believed at some point in Jesus, God, as their Saviour.