Do demons have the authority Of God to oppress christians

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Do demons have the authority Of God to oppress christians

• yes

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • no

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
O

Omegatime

Would it be a demon that God would sends to a christian to avenge sin, ? God could send an avenging angel, possibly

Or shoulnt the holy spirit convict the christian of sin ?. (and not a demon)

Unless im mistaken demons are angels that have rebelled and seperated from God
Every christian should know good from evil for we see it in the creation story and the scriptures. And yes the Holy Spirit does convict us but if we continue in our sin there is a cost.

O

Omegatime

Ok good train of thought to seperate demons from angels, but are you saying demons are not evil spirits ?.

secondly may i ask do you believe an evil spirit can oppress a christian.
Yes, an evil spirit or many spirits can enter a christian. Demons and evil spirits have the same meaning but angels are not, The habitation of evil angels are in the heavens. The Nephilim which were offspring of angels and daughters of men. Angels are also spiritual beings and can take on flesh, which is a curse upon them, but how they were able to mate with human women.

Psalms 82 is a chapter devoted to angels and speaks about how they can die like men.

I say, “You are gods,
sons of the Most High, all of you;
7 nevertheless, you shall die like men,
and fall like any prince.”

Angels that violated their place in the heavens received judgment during the flood.

Jude 6 And the angels that did not keep their own position but left their proper dwelling have been kept by him in eternal chains in the nether gloom until the judgment of the great day.

Salvation is by faith thru grace in Lord Yeshua/Jesus, that is certain. But because you are a christian and sin knowing or unknowingly you open the door to these evil spirits/demons.

The Nephilim are these evil spirits/demons.

Do more than ask for a gift of healing. Grow in wisdom and knowledge.

JTB

Aug 31, 2021
O

Omegatime

Extra-biblical source from the Book of Enoch 1 about the Nephilim, angels, evil spirits

Watchers are another name for angels

1 And He answered and said to me, and I heard His voice: 'Fear not, Enoch, thou righteous 2 man and scribe of righteousness: approach hither and hear my voice. And go, say to the Watchers of heaven, who have sent thee to intercede for them: "You should intercede" for men, and not men 3 for you: Wherefore have ye left the high, holy, and eternal heaven, and lain with women, and defiled yourselves with the daughters of men and taken to yourselves wives, and done like the children 4 of earth, and begotten giants (as your) sons And though ye were holy, spiritual, living the eternal life, you have defiled yourselves with the blood of women, and have begotten (children) with the blood of flesh, and, as the children of men, have lusted after flesh and blood as those also do who die 5 and perish. Therefore have I given them wives also that they might impregnate them, and beget 6 children by them, that thus nothing might be wanting to them on earth. But you were formerly 7 spiritual, living the eternal life, and immortal for all generations of the world. And therefore I have not appointed wives for you; for as for the spiritual ones of the heaven, in heaven is their dwelling. 8 And now, the giants, who are produced from the spirits and flesh, shall be called evil spirits upon 9 the earth, and on the earth shall be their dwelling. Evil spirits have proceeded from their bodies; because they are born from men and from the holy Watchers is their beginning and primal origin; 10 they shall be evil spirits on earth, and evil spirits shall they be called. [As for the spirits of heaven, in heaven shall be their dwelling, but as for the spirits of the earth which were born upon the earth, on the earth shall be their dwelling.] And the spirits of the giants afflict, oppress, destroy, attack, do battle, and work destruction on the earth, and cause trouble: they take no food, but nevertheless 12 hunger and thirst, and cause offences. And these spirits shall rise up against the children of men and against the women, because they have proceeded from them.

O

Omegatime

Have you considered why the ancient patriarchs lived 700, 800, or 900 years and never a sickness mentioned???????

Duckybill

Aug 16, 2021
Hi all as many of you know i am studying demons and what i feel to be a verry important matter.

I also feel its is one of the most important matters to learn and something i have put my heart soul and effort into my whole life studying, to help people with.

This matter is verry important to me and means a lot to me for many reasons, the most important one being that sharing the knowledge of demons and casting them out was the life time work of Jesus christ.

I also feel that as a result of demons, Jesus christ was crucified and all his deciples killed. Jesus christ was fighting a war on demons, and its one of the reasons he was crucified on the cross a long with others.

I love Jesus,

I dont think this poll question has ever come up here.
If you read Job you will find that God gave Satan permission to OPPRESS Job. Satan stole Job's family.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
For those interested, you can find a bit of a study Here on demons and things connected with that subject...

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
Thread topic ----Do demons have the authority Of God to oppress christians

my view on this ----

I say ---a big fat NO ----God has NOT given Demons any authority to oppress Christians ----

The word authority means they have complete control and that is not so -------

God allows Satan and his tribe to harass --temp and oppress but never under their own authority -------

God Himself made Satan the god of this world ------and Satan is here and remains the god of this world until Jesus comes back and defeats him for good ------

You have to understand that God needed Satan in His plan to bring about free choice ---if Satan had not deceived Eve and Eve had not talked her man Adam into disobeying God ---there would be no free choice nor sin ----we would all be living under God and His Domain and remain His Children ---there would have been only bliss and all provided for us --sin would not have entered at all ---there would be no sickness or disease --no conflict only peace---- joy --happiness --etc would have been the order of the day ------God's from the Beginning had already Planned out His way of bringing in free Choice to His Creation by and through Lucifer becoming Prideful and having a name change to Satan -----and He had already planned out the way for His Creation to come back to Him under free Choice by Sending His only Son ------ It was a brilliant plan that is still playing out ------

So ---God in the Old Testament allowed Satan to sit in on some gatherings -----So God and Satan conversed and Satan was allowed to be in the presents of God ---as we see here -----
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Job 1 NIV --verse 6 says God had a meeting and allowed Satan there with them

5 When a period of feasting had run its course, Job would make arrangements for them to be purified. Early in the morning he would sacrifice a burnt offering for each of them, thinking, “Perhaps my children have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.” This was Job’s regular custom.

6 One day the angels[a] came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan[b] also came with them.

7 The Lord said to Satan, “Where have you come from?”

Satan answered the Lord, “From roaming throughout the earth, going back and forth on it.”

8 Then the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a similar experience in 2 Chronicles

2 Chronicles 18:18-22 NIV

18 Micaiah continued, “Therefore hear the word of the Lord: I saw the Lord sitting on his throne with all the multitudes of heaven standing on his right and on his left.

19 And the Lord said, ‘Who will entice Ahab king of Israel into attacking Ramoth Gilead and going to his death there?’
“One suggested this, and another that.

20 Finally, a spirit came forward, stood before the Lord and said, ‘I will entice him.’
“‘By what means?’ the Lord asked.

21 “‘I will go and be a deceiving spirit in the mouths of all his prophets,’ he said.
“‘You will succeed in enticing him,’ said the Lord. ‘Go and do it.’

22 “So now the Lord has put a deceiving spirit in the mouths of these prophets of yours. The Lord has decreed disaster for you.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So in the Old Testament God gave authority over this earth to Adam -----when Adam sinned Satan took the reigns so Adam gave his keys to this earthly kingdom to Satan -----so humans then had no protection from evil influence unless they had True Faith in God -----So God had no choice to Give Satan limited access to humans as he duped God's 2 Created beings in the Garden -----So now Satan needs to be defeated so God's creation can get the keys back to this earthly kingdom and so the people who want evil out of their lives can have access to that option -----

People need to get that when God handed over certain authority of this planet to Adam ----God then could not interfere in human decision without being ask to get involved as he would have been breaking His own decision to give Adam control over the earth ----and that stands today ---God cannot get involved of the affairs of this earth unless He is invited through prayer to do so --if He did that would make God a lair and His Word would mean nothing -------

Then Jesus comes ----and defeats Satan on the Cross and gets the keys back from him -----so now freedom from Evil is available -----and it becomes up to us to keep that evil at bay ----God Provided the way ---we have to do the work -----submit ourselves to God and the promise is the devil will flee ----we have to keep all access points closed so Satan cannot harass --tempt and oppress us ----having Control over our emotions and bad feelings is a big one ----Fear --anxiety ---stress ----conflict -doubting God and His Word ----lust ---envy --jealousy ----etc all leave us open to be attacked by Satan ----

And that DOES INCLUDE TRUE __BORN AGAIN __CHRISTIANS ----Satan attacks your thoughts ----and Wants to STEAL YOUR FAITH IN GOD AND HIS WORD ------and he is doing a good job of robbing true Christians of stead fast Faith in Christ -----many waver in their Faith -----

Possession by a demon is the only was they have complete control over our actions and bodily functions and again we have to give them access to that ------dabbling in the occult of any kind is a big opening for Demon Possession -----fortune tellers ---tarot cards -----ouija boards --calling on dead spirits ---praying to other gods etc all give access to Demon Possession ------

de-emerald

May 8, 2021
@studentoftheword @jb @Duckybill @di @GaryA @Runningman @Nehemiah6 @Pilgrimshope @GandalfTheWhite lol @Jocund @Jesus_Leads @Gideon300 @Omegatime, and my good friend @Dino246 @studentoftheword @jb @Duckybill @Dino246 @JTB @studentoftheword @jb @Duckybill @Dino246 @JTB @Omegatime Ok i have taken all your notes on board
Firstly i will reply in dew time and im also starting some other threads on this matter that im hoping the staff here will sanction and you will all take in part in this study, in the hope we can go through the scriptures one by one,and not confuse scriptures with other scriptures. im hoping the staff here will see that and allow it.

Firtsly let me set the record straight on some of you that have just cause in being skeptable.
The authority that demons may have to oppress demons is on the bases that God has granted the demon (eveil spirit) permission to oppress the christian.

Please answer would the christians hedge of protection have to be lowered in order for the evil spirit to oppress the christian. and what would that hedge of protection be

Please also answer do you see a demon as an evil spirit.

or do you believe there are no demons currently on earth because of what is written in Jude 6 that all angels who seperated from God and became demons have been bound.

Jude 1:6
6And the angels who did not stay within their own domain but abandoned their proper dwelling— these He has kept in eternal chains under darkness, bound for judgment on that great day.

If you believe that at present all demons are bound then that leaves evil spirits only on earth that are not fallen angels but something else...

The question you also should ask is Jude 6 after the ressurection of Christ.

de-emerald

May 8, 2021
@studentoftheword @jb @Duckybill @di @GaryA @Runningman @Nehemiah6 @Pilgrimshope @GandalfTheWhite lol @Jocund @Jesus_Leads @Gideon300 @Omegatime, and my good friend @Dino246 @studentoftheword @jb @Duckybill @Dino246 @JTB @studentoftheword @jb @Duckybill @Dino246 @JTB @Omegatime

And may i also ask do you believe that God would grant a demon (evil spirit) or an evil spirit that is not a demon permission to oppress a christian.

May i aslo ask do you understand that oppression also means to be attacked by a demon (evil spirit) or just a evil spirit that is not a demon.

or do you believe oppression to be just an act of which god allows permission to the evil spirit to accuse the christian of sin or test the christian or punish the christian

Naamini

Jan 26, 2021
Question A and B tied to the below.. choose best that suits your understanding.
1.Yes
2.No
3.It depends.

If we are created in God's image,.. Genesis 1:26...Spirit, Soul, Body, and God is a Spirit. He needs a body to dwell in.. hence via Holy Spirit.

A) Then, can those people who don't have the Holy Spirit be termed as evil spirits too? (They are spiritual beings in a body suit)

B) Are these Workings of unclean spirits or demons? Revelation 22:15 (murder, fornication, sexual immorality..etc)

But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie. (Rev.22:15 | NKJV)

Or maybe it depends..because there are two types of evil/ unclean spirits.

1) Demons level one- giant kids./disembodied spirits.
2) unclean spirits level two- (humans not saved)

Whoever does not have the seal of the Holy Spirit is not His.. Ephesians 1:13

soberxp

May 3, 2018
I don't know if you have encountered something. People you don't know and accuse you for no reason, and you haven't done it at all.
If you've ever had such thing,This is the devil attack on you.
Not all devil attacks are Devil possessed.
I don't know how the devil uses anyone to attack people, but just like Job's generation.

May 22, 2020
Thread topic ----Do demons have the authority Of God to oppress christians

my view on this ----

I say ---a big fat NO ----God has NOT given Demons any authority to oppress Christians ----

The word authority means they have complete control and that is not so -------

God allows Satan and his tribe to harass --temp and oppress but never under their own authority -------

God Himself made Satan the god of this world ------and Satan is here and remains the god of this world until Jesus comes back and defeats him for good ------

You have to understand that God needed Satan in His plan to bring about free choice ---if Satan had not deceived Eve and Eve had not talked her man Adam into disobeying God ---there would be no free choice nor sin ----we would all be living under God and His Domain and remain His Children ---there would have been only bliss and all provided for us --sin would not have entered at all ---there would be no sickness or disease --no conflict only peace---- joy --happiness --etc would have been the order of the day ------God's from the Beginning had already Planned out His way of bringing in free Choice to His Creation by and through Lucifer becoming Prideful and having a name change to Satan -----and He had already planned out the way for His Creation to come back to Him under free Choice by Sending His only Son ------ It was a brilliant plan that is still playing out ------

So ---God in the Old Testament allowed Satan to sit in on some gatherings -----So God and Satan conversed and Satan was allowed to be in the presents of God ---as we see here -----
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Job 1 NIV --verse 6 says God had a meeting and allowed Satan there with them

5 When a period of feasting had run its course, Job would make arrangements for them to be purified. Early in the morning he would sacrifice a burnt offering for each of them, thinking, “Perhaps my children have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.” This was Job’s regular custom.

6 One day the angels[a] came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan[b] also came with them.

7 The Lord said to Satan, “Where have you come from?”

Satan answered the Lord, “From roaming throughout the earth, going back and forth on it.”

8 Then the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a similar experience in 2 Chronicles

2 Chronicles 18:18-22 NIV

18 Micaiah continued, “Therefore hear the word of the Lord: I saw the Lord sitting on his throne with all the multitudes of heaven standing on his right and on his left.

19 And the Lord said, ‘Who will entice Ahab king of Israel into attacking Ramoth Gilead and going to his death there?’
“One suggested this, and another that.

20 Finally, a spirit came forward, stood before the Lord and said, ‘I will entice him.’
“‘By what means?’ the Lord asked.

21 “‘I will go and be a deceiving spirit in the mouths of all his prophets,’ he said.
“‘You will succeed in enticing him,’ said the Lord. ‘Go and do it.’

22 “So now the Lord has put a deceiving spirit in the mouths of these prophets of yours. The Lord has decreed disaster for you.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So in the Old Testament God gave authority over this earth to Adam -----when Adam sinned Satan took the reigns so Adam gave his keys to this earthly kingdom to Satan -----so humans then had no protection from evil influence unless they had True Faith in God -----So God had no choice to Give Satan limited access to humans as he duped God's 2 Created beings in the Garden -----So now Satan needs to be defeated so God's creation can get the keys back to this earthly kingdom and so the people who want evil out of their lives can have access to that option -----

People need to get that when God handed over certain authority of this planet to Adam ----God then could not interfere in human decision without being ask to get involved as he would have been breaking His own decision to give Adam control over the earth ----and that stands today ---God cannot get involved of the affairs of this earth unless He is invited through prayer to do so --if He did that would make God a lair and His Word would mean nothing -------

Then Jesus comes ----and defeats Satan on the Cross and gets the keys back from him -----so now freedom from Evil is available -----and it becomes up to us to keep that evil at bay ----God Provided the way ---we have to do the work -----submit ourselves to God and the promise is the devil will flee ----we have to keep all access points closed so Satan cannot harass --tempt and oppress us ----having Control over our emotions and bad feelings is a big one ----Fear --anxiety ---stress ----conflict -doubting God and His Word ----lust ---envy --jealousy ----etc all leave us open to be attacked by Satan ----

And that DOES INCLUDE TRUE __BORN AGAIN __CHRISTIANS ----Satan attacks your thoughts ----and Wants to STEAL YOUR FAITH IN GOD AND HIS WORD ------and he is doing a good job of robbing true Christians of stead fast Faith in Christ -----many waver in their Faith -----

Possession by a demon is the only was they have complete control over our actions and bodily functions and again we have to give them access to that ------dabbling in the occult of any kind is a big opening for Demon Possession -----fortune tellers ---tarot cards -----ouija boards --calling on dead spirits ---praying to other gods etc all give access to Demon Possession ------

God may allow tribulations to happen but, does not cause those things to happen.
Job is a perfect book with answers for this OP.

See if you can figure out what God was accomplishing by allowing Job's tribulations.

de-emerald

May 8, 2021
IMO my answer is yes but because of sin. I look at it this way, the Lord puts a picket fence around us, and when we sin a piece of that fence gets splintered or broken allowing these demons/evil spirits to enter. Death is a result of sin at least in the long term. A lack of knowledge is not an excuse.

And these evil spirits are not angels, but the disembodied spirits of the Nephilim
yes perhaps evil spirits that are in this world are spirits of the nephilim.

It seems that's in Jude 1.6 the other type of evil spirits the angels that rebelled against God, demons have been bound.

It could also be said that this was not supposed happen. That perhaps God the creator of the fallen angels that are now bound according to Jude 1.6 never saw it coming that they would produce offspring from human beings.

Is this one thing that God never saw coming from the beginning.

Is it possible there is also some other type of unknown reason as to why these types of spiritual being cannot be bound the nephilim,, and perhaps why we are in a battle with them until the end.

de-emerald

May 8, 2021
it depends on whether we walk in Christ or just claim he’s our lord our safety from the devil is when we dwell
In him. Remembering we aren’t promised This world were promised what comes next of we accept Christ and the gospel now.

a point of that is that almost all of the early church was killed in terrible ways but now inhabit glory with Christ !!
will that matter to an evil spirit ? How can what you think or believe, prevent an evil spirit from oppressing you. Please explain.

Would your belief be that you your self personally can only be oppressed by an evil spirit if God has granted it. And if you think the wrong belief or walk the wrong walk then God will have you oppressed.

de-emerald

May 8, 2021
The Bible clearly states in many places that if you submit yourself to an authority, you're submitted to that authority. So yes demons can oppress Christians who sin. They cannot possess true Christians, we must be clear there is a difference between oppression and possession, and that demons can do the former but not the latter.

It's also important to note that demons are free to harass Christians as well. While not as strong an influence as being oppressed, they don't need our permission to do it.
They have open permission to harass.

We thru sin can invite them to oppress.

But we are possessed by God if we are true, and demons have no claim on that.
do you believe that this is true for every eventuality of when a evil spirit harasses a Christian or attacks a Christian or oppresses a Christian, that's the reason why this is happening because the Christian has broken the authority of which he submitted to.

My understanding is for a Christian the holy spirit would convict a Christian. My reasoning for that would be that when a Christian submits his life to Jesus Christ and to the authority of Jesus Christ and to the authority of his father and to all the heavenly laws and rules that the Christian does not know all of that authority. And that just being the reason of why the holy spirit would convict the Christian and not a demon. for when the Christian has breached that authority.

de-emerald

May 8, 2021
I believe that "authority" is perhaps not the best word to use. There is a war going on. Satan literally means "adversary".

God gave authority over the earth and creation to Adam. That included Satan. Satan deceived Eve and corrupted Adam. Adam gave his God-given authority to Satan. Satan could rightly form the world system in direct opposition to God's kingdom.

Satan tempted Lord Jesus in the wilderness. We don't know exactly how Satan induced Adam to rebel, but I would not be surprised if Satan showed what could be done if Adam bowed down to him. Lord Jesus refused Satan's temptations. So Satan could not legitimately control Lord Jesus. (1 John 5:19)

Lord Jesus gave His authority to believers. However, authority is of no use if not exercised. So we must use the authority that Lord Jesus secured for us. "Resist the devil" is just as much a command as "love your neighbour".

We know that the church will overcome Satan completely - eventually. One of the great failures of Christianity is in the realm of deliverance ministry. While being obsessed with demons is unhealthy, we ignore them at our spiritual peril.
yes I believe that you have just cause for being skeptical of this. That there is a war going on and that's in every eventuality perhaps the evil spirit does not have any authority whatsoever, to attack a Christian or a non-Christian.

So when will this happen when will the church overcome Satan,

We know that the whole the whole church is is not going to overcome Satan until the final trumpet is it sounded from the heavens.

Of course you know this is hope, and helps to grow that self-esteem which is needed to believe that the church will overcome one day.

However as you know I was reaching this in scripture. many people are suffering at the hands of this enemy all over the world and so, for those people they need to overcome today and keep overcoming.

To be honest with you I'm not completely convinced that evil spirits have any permission whatsoever to harass Christians and I'm even skeptical that they have any permission to harass non-Christian.

The bottom line angels were kicked out of heaven for breaking the rules, and harassing people is breaking the rules.

de-emerald

May 8, 2021
Casting out demons was only part of Jesus' ministry, and certainly not the central part. Demons aren't the reason Jesus was crucified.

I suggest you keep on with the homework, but keep things in proper perspective: God is sovereign, and demons shudder at that truth.
yes I can understand why you may be skeptical of believing that casting out demons was not the most Central part of the gospel of Jesus Christ. However may I be skeptical towards the idea that's it is any less important to the gospel of Jesus Christ, yes I may also challenge your idea that Jesus Christ was not crucified as the results of demons. Sin entered the world through demons not Adam. did it not.

Not forgetting the fact that Satan entered Judas. Don't forget the fact that Satan also corrupted wisdom and portrayed the wrong God to Adam and Eve . Not forgetting the fact that demons produced offspring called the nephilim.

Yes you along with others may be skeptical back and say that's Adam and Eve disobeyed God and because of them sin entered the world, but ultimately there was no sin in the world until the fallen angels entered into the world who had sinned in heaven and caused the fall of mankind.

The fall of mankind started in heaven not earth. For this reason I do believe that it was demons that caused Jesus Christ to be crucified

de-emerald

May 8, 2021
I think the purpose of crucifixion is only to redeem mankind and present us holy before God not because of any demon fight.
yes I can understand you being a bit skeptical towards the idea of what was put forward to yourself when you read the opening op.

Before the crucification of Jesus Christ there was a battle going on against the demons. And afterwards there is still a battle going on against demons. The battle that is going on that has been going on and raging for centuries, is demons want to take people to hell with them. Where as Jesus wants to take people to heaven. So I am quite skeptical of the notion and the idea that Jesus Christ did not offer himself up as the lamb because of what demons we're doing before the crucification and what they were going to do after the crucification.

If Jesus Christ did not beat Satan in the flesh that meant that Satan would have ultimate power over all people after the crucification of Christ.