Do Men Feel Like They Have to Compete with Guys Half Their Age to Get a Date?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

Tinuviel

Tin, I hate to tell you this...

But you're of age now and I think you can handle it.

Your old Auntie (or more like sister) Seoul...

Goes on dates.

Hard to believe, I know.

Granted, it's been so long that I can't tell you what they're actually like, because I don't remember.

But I know SOMETIME, way back when... I actually went on a date.

Breathe, sweetie. Just breathe.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009

Now listen here, Missy.

I am just going to have to set you straight.

Back in MY day...

Beans hadn't been invented yet.

I'm pretty sure I'm more like Winnie the Pooh--my head is stuffed with fluff. :)

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
I like it when old people date. Nursing home romances warm my cold heart.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
when I worked for a chiropractor, 2 of our elderly patients got married. I think they went to the same church. all of a sudden, she shows up to tell me she changed her name. "I married [male patient's name]." I was like awesome!

H

Heart_Melody

is this the wrong place to mention I have never seen the andy griffith show? :rolleyes:

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Yes men are competing with other men of all ages.. But the age factor is not considered an important factor by men..

For woman it is a very different factor because men do value youth and thus fertility as a big factor in their decision in who they want as the mother of their future children..

For men the factors that are more important ( in attracting woman ) are things like Wealth, Social status, Intelligence and Health. We know when the chips are down and a woman is selecting a husband youth and physical stature are not high on the list of priorities..

Ugly, fat, short men get married every day if they have Wealth Social status Intelligence and health.. Yes woman would like their man to be a perfect physical specimen but that's just icing on the cake, it is not what a woman Needs..

Aug 2, 2009
is this the wrong place to mention I have never seen the andy griffith show? :rolleyes:
Here.. now you don't have to say that :)

[video=youtube;e1JbHRGE39U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1JbHRGE39U[/video]

M

Miri

Just for the record, I have no competition. I’m unique! :p

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Hey Everyone,

This is something I've been wondering about for a while.

It might be just me, but when you're a woman, you know that it's pretty much a given that any other woman out there is going to be your competition. It doesn't matter if you're 40 years old or older--you will still be in competition with 20-somethings within the single circles.

There is a popular Christian dating site that I was a part of many years ago, and my favorite part was actually the chat, which, last I read, has been eliminated, which is one of the reasons I haven't renewed my membership.

I preferred the chats to just profiles because it was a way to get a small glimpse of how a person interacted with others in real time. True to form, instead of finding a date, I would usually find myself talking with all the women in the room, and through these talks, I would find out that the 50-something year-old men who were trying to talk to me were also trying to talk to some of the 25-year-olds in chat.

Now, I'm not condemning or necessarily saying that's a bad thing, but that's why I found the chats to be so handy--it was the quickest way to find out if someone I might be interested in was talking to other women--and if he was comparing me with someone half my age.

Dating is intimidating enough, but as a woman, you have to remember that: 1. women your own age are competition, because of course, you're all lumped into the same pool; 2. older women are competition because they're seen as being more sophisticated, and are especially sought after if they're believed to have money (yup, it works both ways); and of course, 3. younger women are competition because, what guy wouldn't want to be seen with a beautiful, younger woman on his arm?

And so, as a woman, you basically feel like you're lost in the crowd because anyone and everyone could be the next woman you might find yourself competing with for a man.

I have always wondered, does it work the same way for men as well?

So, for all you men out there (and of course, the ladies are welcome to share their thoughts, too):

* Guys, when it comes to dating, do you see all the other guys around you as being competition?

* Do you feel you have to compete with guys of all ages, or just in your own age range?

* What things do you do or point out (such as in a dating profile) to help you stand out from the crowd?

* Do you always feel like you have to be seen as smarter, funnier, richer, stronger, or more handsome than the next guy?

Even if you are now married or in a serious relationship, please feel free to answer if any of these thoughts/perceptions applied to you when you were single.

In fact, this is a great bonus question for the guys who are taken:

* Do you feel like you have to stay one step ahead of the crowd in order to keep your lady's interest?

I find this to be a very interesting topic and am hoping that a good number of the gentlemen out there will give us some insight.
1). no, because when I was single, I never had any competition, mainly because I wasn't looking for a relationship.

2). No, because I never really pursued a women, so again-no competition.

3). When I did the dating profile thing, I always emphasized my love for Christianity, church, and the Bible.

4). No, mainly because I hardly ever pursued a woman

5). Unfortunately, I married an unbeliever, so the last question isn't an issue, because she is pursuing a divorce.

H

Heart_Melody

OH thanks you guys :)
I like this show... and now that I have seen this, I remember flipping through the channel and seeing part of one actually! One where a boy kept steeling stuff and Andy had to catch him but his dad wouldn't listen or something like that :)

I will have to watch some of these... But that deputy is a little annoying js.... haha

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
Yea, I was going to say the same thing. Must be an American thang.

Lol.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
* Guys, when it comes to dating, do you see all the other guys around you as being competition?
No I see most people as being ruled by their flesh.

* Do you feel you have to compete with guys of all ages, or just in your own age range?
For me it is not competing. I just desire to do my best; to be me. Or rather better than me through Christ.

* What things do you do or point out (such as in a dating profile) to help you stand out from the crowd?
I am married. However I am Scott. I just am. lol.....

* Do you always feel like you have to be seen as smarter, funnier, richer, stronger, or more handsome than the next guy?
No I am Scott

* Do you feel like you have to stay one step ahead of the crowd in order to keep your lady's interest?
No I am Scott. I just is what I is

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Maybe this is off topic, but I found that when I Focused on The one truly important relationship-the one with God-I found that another with a woman didn't seem nearly as necessary as I thought. The times when I let that relationship slip are the times when I started thinking I needed a woman. Don't get me wrong, I think women are wonderful, and I love their company. When I was first saves, I prayed a long time to God to send me a wife, for years. He finally have me a dream of a woman, a very clear picture, and I've never met her. I gradually forgot about that dream, and I've been married three times since then, and divorced twice. What I learned from that, and this is just my personal experience, is that I shouldn't have asked God for a wife if I wasn't willing to wait for her. My choices didn't work out so well, and the last one wasn't even a believer.

Aug 2, 2009
Maybe this is off topic, but I found that when I Focused on The one truly important relationship-the one with God-I found that another with a woman didn't seem nearly as necessary as I thought. The times when I let that relationship slip are the times when I started thinking I needed a woman. Don't get me wrong, I think women are wonderful, and I love their company. When I was first saves, I prayed a long time to God to send me a wife, for years. He finally have me a dream of a woman, a very clear picture, and I've never met her. I gradually forgot about that dream, and I've been married three times since then, and divorced twice. What I learned from that, and this is just my personal experience, is that I shouldn't have asked God for a wife if I wasn't willing to wait for her. My choices didn't work out so well, and the last one wasn't even a believer.
Well you can also look at it another way... You prayed for a wife and he brought you three.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Well you can also look at it another way... You prayed for a wife and he brought you three.
You could be right, sir, I don't know for sure. The last one looked most like the one in the dream.