Do Protestants worship the Bible?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 30, 2013
I have been in numerous protestant establishments in my 40 years and in every one, I see what looks like a bunch of people worshiping the Bible.

People place their hand on the Bible and swear oaths to it, they sit it on their lap and pray to it. They open it up and pray to it. They jump up and down and sing praises to it.

Why anyone would worship a book is beyond me but it seems to be the foundation of the protestant religion.

Of course, this is not what is really going on. The truth is that probably no one actually worships the Bible itself.

But it sure does look like it. In fact, if I hadn't grown up protestant, I would be convinced that protestantism is all about the worship of the Bible itself.

And so looks can be deceiving.

Likewise, many protestants think that Catholics worship idols and statues and other pieces of art. (The Bible is a piece of art itself, btw)

Just like protestant Bible worship, there is no such thing as Catholic idol worship.

Despite the appearance that protestants worship the bible, Catholic Christians do not go around saying that protestants worship the Bible. We don't do this because it is not true and the bible commands us not to bear false witness against your neighbor and we have kept that commandment.

If you are a protestant please do likewise and show us the same respect we have shown you and stop doing evil by telling lies about us.

Thank You.

Last edited:
T

Tintin

I'm not Catholic. I agree with this statement.

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
I am so glad you posted this. I was raised Catholic ,I'm no longer Catholic, but have many friends and family that are. They are Christian and they are good. I still go to mass sometimes and there is nothing weird going on. I do not like or appreciate the Catholic bashing, it is wrong and rude. I chalk that type of behavior as ignorance Jeremy.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
At least the bible/God's Word is something to cherish, not too sure about statues,rosary beads, votive candles etc.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I believe Protestants do worship the Bible, based on the introduction to the Gospel of John, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God............" Jesus Christ, Yeshua, IS the Word. We all worship Yeshua, Jesus Christ, Who is the Bible. How far off from the truth are those who are blinded by Papal bull(s).

Apr 30, 2013
I believe Protestants do worship the Bible, based on the introduction to the Gospel of John, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God............" Jesus Christ, Yeshua, IS the Word. We all worship Yeshua, Jesus Christ, Who is the Bible. How far off from the truth are those who are blinded by Papal bull(s).
Just like so many others on this board, you're understanding of Catholicism is nonsense.

I'm not going to put any stock into anything you say until you can at least demonstrate that you have some inkling or clue as to what you are talking about. Thus far, you have demonstrated only a complete and utter ignorance of the Catholic Christian faith.

You're total ignorance is so glaring, you might as well be trying to argue that the earth is flat.

Apr 30, 2013
At least the bible/God's Word is something to cherish, not too sure about statues,rosary beads, votive candles etc.
Just out of curiosity, has it ever occurred to you that not everyone throughout history could read or that many people today still cannot read in many parts of the world?

Feb 16, 2011
There is always a danger in worshiping or giving worth to something other than God. If the object becomes the mediator between God and man it is an idol. Only Jesus is the mediator. I believe Catholics worship a cracker!

P

piper27

Huh? I have not witnessed this! Perhaps I don't give it more attention than it deserves. Boy, the enemy (the devil) will use
anything to cause division among brothers. Loving my brother is what I choose.

Apr 30, 2013
There is always a danger in worshiping or giving worth to something other than God. If the object becomes the mediator between God and man it is an idol. Only Jesus is the mediator. I believe Catholics worship a cracker!
This is blasphemous. I just reported this post.

D

didymos

I have been in numerous protestant establishments in my 40 years and in every one, I see what looks like a bunch of people worshiping the Bible (...)
So what's your point? We as protestants should be aware of the fact that catholics actually do not worship statues? Could be, the fact remains however they still pray to saints and Mary, using those statues and images, though only Jesus Christ can make intercession for us. So maybe catholics don't worship statues and images, but they DO worship all the saints they represent.

The Bible as such is just another book if we don't have the Holy Spirit to guide us. Only through Him, God Himself, we can read the Bible as the Word of God.

Talking about worshiping the Bible: ofcourse you know the socalled 'procession of the Gospel.' The Gospel is brought into a catholic church in procession, held up high in the air, with candles and incense burning, singing etc. At the altar the Gospel is kissed and incense is again burnt over it, and then the people have to stand up when the priest reads from the Gospel....

Comes MUCH closer to worshiping the Bible than ANYTHING a protestant would do with it, don't you think? ;)

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011

This is a declaration for your own convenience. Fine, do not listen. Now that you say you see, your guilt remains.[

QUOTE=CatholicJeremy;1016196]Just like so many others on this board, you're understanding of Catholicism is nonsense.

I'm not going to put any stock into anything you say until you can at least demonstrate that you have some inkling or clue as to what you are talking about. Thus far, you have demonstrated only a complete and utter ignorance of the Catholic Christian faith.

You're total ignorance is so glaring, you might as well be trying to argue that the earth is flat.[/QUOTE]

Apr 30, 2013
So what's your point? We as protestants should be aware of the fact that catholics actually do not worship statues? Could be, the fact remains however they still pray to saints and Mary, using those statues and images, though only Jesus Christ can make intercession for us. So maybe catholics don't worship statues and images, but they DO worship all the saints they represent.

No we don't. You bear false witness. You speak the lies of the devil and you commit evil when you do. Repent.

Apr 30, 2013
the mods arnt dumb CJ...you just turned the spotlight on yourself.
I'll give you that but it wasn't intentional. I was so thoroughly offended by that that I fired back without thinking. Immediately after I posted that, I tried to delete my own post but I didn't know how. I didn't think to just edit and erase.

At any rate, I hope the mods delete both posts.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The members of the RCC here in Spain have an equivalent saint to pray to of most of the pagan gods. They have made Joseph, the father of our Lord, the "patron" of carpenters. They have a patron of love, a patron of sight, a god of heart disease, and so on down the line. The RCC from the Vatican supports and promotes abject ignorance and tolerates these practices here in Spain, and other practices equally heinous in all other RCC countries, and this is apostasy at large. If you deny this, you are either ignorant or in sinful denial.

No we don't. You bear false witness. You speak the lies of the devil and you commit evil when you do. Repent.

Apr 30, 2013
The members of the RCC here in Spain have an equivalent saint to pray to of most of the pagan gods. They have made Joseph, the father of our Lord, the "patron" of carpenters. They have a patron of love, a patron of sight, a god of heart disease, and so on down the line. The RCC from the Vatican supports and promotes abject ignorance and tolerates these practices here in Spain, and other practices equally heinous in all other RCC countries, and this is apostasy at large. If you deny this, you are either ignorant or in sinful denial.
You speak the evil, filthy and demonic lies of the devil. That is a fact.