Do we need friends? Is it a sin to not have friends?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

sleeper92

Feb 16, 2020
Our goal on this Earth is to become more and more like Jesus. He had many friends. He even called Judas his friend, even though he knew what Judas was going to do to him.
I used to think I was introverted, shy, socially anxious...and maybe I am, but I do know that I find freedom in Christ. I just have to depend on his strength and not my own. This has lead me to some victories lately. But it's only because of Him. He helps me, He's the one who does all the work. I just have to depend on Him.

It's normal to want friends and be social. God made us that way. If you have anxiety, work on it and ask God to help you overcome it. There is so much freedom in Him.
but how can i get friends if im socialy handicaped?

what makes you think i have not worked on it, i done that for fiften years with 0 improvment.

i think i have mental disability or something, god made me this way. telling me that i can get friends is like telling someone with one leg to get a new leg.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012

what makes you think i have not worked on it, i done that for fiften years with 0 improvment.

i think i have mental disability or something, god made me this way. telling me that i can get friends is like telling someone with one leg to get a new leg.
Does not God heal the lame? With God all things are possible, and you do not have to be friendless. Why don’t you ask the Lord to bring friends into your life? People that will be blessed by you and you them. Ask, just ask.

Princesse

Feb 16, 2020

There is no ailment which befalls us that God has not addressed. Your social challenges would be readily addressed by those He’s gifted in mercy and encouragement. They have a heart for benevolence and frequently come alongside others like yourself.

This holds true for all of us. We must seek the right solutions for our problems. If it requires a wrench you wouldn’t use a hammer. It’s the wrong tool. In the same way, you require someone with patience and an ability to look beyond your hardships. Trying to develop connections with people who lack the temperament and gifts to walk beside you will only cause frustration.

Seventeen years ago, I met someone on the Internet through a mutual acquaintance. She had a lively personality and a heart for love. But her experiences had driven her to the brink of suicide. Thankfully she failed and we met each other shortly after.

Unlike some, I didn’t see the mess. I saw the woman she could become with patience, love and accountability. Today, she’s married with children and developing a business as a wellness coach and motivational speaker. I’m immensely proud of the woman she’s become and the role I played in the change. We weren’t walking with the Lord. It was love plain and simple.

You meed someone who believes in you. One who’ll advocate the truth when all seems lost. She isn’t the lone one I’ve come beside. I know the power of the belief and the miracles. faithfulness can yield.

Don’t lose heart or see yourself as limited or less than others. You must learn to view yourself as God does. That’s the road to peace and the healing you crave.

sleeper92

Feb 16, 2020
Does not God heal the lame? With God all things are possible, and you do not have to be friendless. Why don’t you ask the Lord to bring friends into your life? People that will be blessed by you and you them. Ask, just ask.
yep, but god made me deeply unattractrive and gave me mental disability, he doesnt want me to have friends.

i already asked the lord that, thing is , god wont force other people to like me. its up to people to like me, not god making them like me.

sleeper92

Feb 16, 2020
There is no ailment which befalls us that God has not addressed. Your social challenges would be readily addressed by those He’s gifted in mercy and encouragement. They have a heart for benevolence and frequently come alongside others like yourself.

This holds true for all of us. We must seek the right solutions for our problems. If it requires a wrench you wouldn’t use a hammer. It’s the wrong tool. In the same way, you require someone with patience and an ability to look beyond your hardships. Trying to develop connections with people who lack the temperament and gifts to walk beside you will only cause frustration.

Seventeen years ago, I met someone on the Internet through a mutual acquaintance. She had a lively personality and a heart for love. But her experiences had driven her to the brink of suicide. Thankfully she failed and we met each other shortly after.

Unlike some, I didn’t see the mess. I saw the woman she could become with patience, love and accountability. Today, she’s married with children and developing a business as a wellness coach and motivational speaker. I’m immensely proud of the woman she’s become and the role I played in the change. We weren’t walking with the Lord. It was love plain and simple.

You meed someone who believes in you. One who’ll advocate the truth when all seems lost. She isn’t the lone one I’ve come beside. I know the power of the belief and the miracles. faithfulness can yield.

Don’t lose heart or see yourself as limited or less than others. You must learn to view yourself as God does. That’s the road to peace and the healing you crave.
well, he has not gifted me with his mercy.

i need a miracle for someone to accept me, but miracle only hapens for a very few select of people.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
yep, but god made me deeply unattractrive and gave me mental disability, he doesnt want me to have friends.

i already asked the lord that, thing is , god wont force other people to like me. its up to people to like me, not god making them like me.
What if you were only as unattractive as you presented yourself? Because you think you’re ugly you carry yourself in a particular way. This can be off putting to people, because instead of being enthusiastic, friendly, and engaging you think people aren’t interested and therefore are standoffish, and unwelcoming.

Princesse

Feb 16, 2020
well, he has not gifted me with his mercy.

i need a miracle for someone to accept me, but miracle only hapens for a very few select of people.
You believe an absence of physical attractiveness and disability are the lone reasons you’re unable to make friends? Is it possible you’re overlooking the real issue?

What do you talk about? What do you like to do in your free time?

sleeper92

Feb 16, 2020
What if you were only as unattractive as you presented yourself? Because you think you’re ugly you carry yourself in a particular way. This can be off putting to people, because instead of being enthusiastic, friendly, and engaging you think people aren’t interested and therefore are standoffish, and unwelcoming.
I never talk like this to people. I dont think im ugly i know im ugly.

People aren’t interested in a guy who is ugly, have poor social skills and have no friends.

sleeper92

Feb 16, 2020
You believe an absence of physical attractiveness and disability are the lone reasons you’re unable to make friends? Is it possible you’re overlooking the real issue?

What do you talk about? What do you like to do in your free time?
What would be the issue then? Im not mean or anything. Not pushy. Not socialy isolated. So it must be my looks and poor social skills that makes me friendless.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
I never talk like this to people. I dont think im ugly i know im ugly.

People aren’t interested in a guy who is ugly, have poor social skills and have no friends.
I know a friend of mine who intentionally goes to the outcasted person because he knows what it’s like to be alone. There are people who want to be your friend. There are people who love as a result of God’s love, and they, to the best of their ability, try to be impartial.

You may find that you can be friendly with all, but friends with few.

Mar 4, 2020
Your friends is judge by who you love not how you should love. Self love is your Jesus within and find a friend that give you a light that came from that and you will feel surinity and the pure love of Jesus. A friend is someone for you 100% with no strings attached.😇

sleeper92

Feb 16, 2020
I know a friend of mine who intentionally goes to the outcasted person because he knows what it’s like to be alone. There are people who want to be your friend. There are people who love as a result of God’s love, and they, to the best of their ability, try to be impartial.

You may find that you can be friendly with all, but friends with few.
so where are this people? never meet them.

Mar 4, 2020
so where are this people? never meet them.
I saw a video by teal swan. That she said that some pick comfort or spirituality. I pick going through hell to realize that am in the Lord army and my king of king is Jesus Christ. It will thin out all of you demons in each friend and you have to pick the least of evil. It's angel in everyone sometime you have to stay steel until they can realize they been trick and run to Jesus Christ. Hey Christ already won.😋

Mar 4, 2020
I don't have many friends either, but that actually isn't a problem for me. Most people I've been friends with at one time or another have either gone their own way, moved, got busy with life, etc.

I used to volunteer a lot for community clean ups, soup kitchens, and all kinds of miscellaneous things. The kind of people you'll meet there are probably going to be of the caring and selfless type so that's where you'll meet some high quality people. You should look into some volunteer opportunities in your local area. Who knows, you may meet some really nice people and maybe even some Christians.

Jul 20, 2019
I don't have any friends, other than my ex who I share the household with, and a 75 year old female friend who lives two days drive north of here. Other than that no one, I have been known spend days alone with no physical contact with another human and enjoyed every minute of it. You don't need friends when you have self love and self awareness

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
to be a friend, you need to show yourself friendly.
Its not about looking good, although maybe you want to wash youself so you dont smell.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
Not had a friend for many years and i dont want one, does that make me a sinner?
I am sorry for your sadness.
I know it can seem like everyone in the world is able to have friends, find love and do well. It can be so confusing and painful. Sometimes we have to deprogram ourselves from the messages of social media. In the movies graduation is a huge party and the best time of your life. Many people don't go to their prom or have memorable dates or even a good friendship group. Christmas and Thanksgiving is supposed to be a time for a big family gathering with overflowing tables of food. Magazines show us how we should look and what to wear. None of it has to do with reality.
When I was in university, in first year psychology we were given an assignment. First we were asked how we assessed our physical appearance. Then we were sent to the local mall. It was a small rural area so it was quite small. We were told to sit and look at the faces of the first 100 people who walked by. It was shocking! I realized I had disconnected with real faces. The rest of the class later gave the same feedback. Ever since that day, I have never stopped the practice. We are trained not to look at reality. We have the wrong definitions of beauty.
As for having friends, I moved around a lot. I was always having to try and make new friends and it was painful. By nature I am really introverted. I had to force myself to find a way to reach out if I didn't want to be alone. I had a mentor who'd grown up in Barbados. She said childhood illness had ruined her face so she learned to ignore it. She said she learned to ask questions and listen. She became an expert listener. People came to trust her and appreciate her. She grew up to be a social worker and help people. She learned to assemble groups of artists and musicians and invite them to her home to perform for others. She became adored.
None of this is easy and I know what it is to feel different than the rest of humanity, wondering why life has to be so painful. Please know that our lives aren't about one special mission (in general) but allow yourself to be kindness, to be compassionate and know the truth of God's love for you. Bless you.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
some things to ask ourselves....

when Abraham was called a friend of God, what did that mean?

Does the Bible tell us what Abraham looked like, do you think thats why God was friends with him? Could Abraham even SEE God?

When Jesus called his twelves disciples, was he only calling them based on what they looked like? Why did he call them his friends?

There are more to people than what meets the eye, but sadly, so many only judge on outward appearances. what a shallow world people live in!

How do you all even know Jesus was raised from the dead, if you werent around to see Him at his resurrection?

lookingup

Dec 30, 2014
Not had a friend for many years and i dont want one, does that make me a sinner?
I don't think that not having friends makes you a sinner. It just makes one lonely and not having friends effects our mental and physical health. I think that the Father would want us to have fellowship, to encourage one another, and carry each others burdens. But no, it is not a sin. God Bless