Do you believe in (OSAS) Once Saved, Always Saved?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

JAPOV

Like all of you on this chat board, I hold that Scripture, the Bible Old and New Testament, are God's truth and God's word to us.

Yet I have a very serious question. Of what value is the Bible to us if we all interpret it differently. As evidenced on this board none of us can agree with other on so many major issues....ie...OSAS /tribulation/justification/baptism....etc on and on. For instance, how many times has OSAS been brought up on this board, with full discussion, and with the Bible as the reference? And still no concensus!

Yet we all say that our beliefs come from the Bible and we bandy about quotes and excerpts to try and prove our points. The fact is that if we are believing in the Bible and interpreting it differently in so many ways, THEN MANY OF US HAVE TO BE WRONG!

What is the problem? Do we interpret Scripture as to how we want Scripture to read. Do we interpret Scripture as to how our pastor taught us to interpret it? Do we interpret Scripture literally or do we add our own opinions as to what Scripture should be?

So many of us have different truths from reading the same Scripture. But there aren't many different truths, only one truth, God's truth. That would mean that many of us are living with lies/untruths in our faith. What's wrong with this picture?

What good is the Bible if we can't interpret it?
The Spirit is subtle, many take it for granted. For example, If not for the Spirit, many wouldn't be here seeking the truth...

I'm certain there are a few here {on CC} with nefarious intentions... but not all who disagree are evil... :cool:

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
Like all of you on this chat board, I hold that Scripture, the Bible Old and New Testament, are God's truth and God's word to us.

Yet I have a very serious question. Of what value is the Bible to us if we all interpret it differently. As evidenced on this board none of us can agree with other on so many major issues....ie...OSAS /tribulation/justification/baptism....etc on and on. For instance, how many times has OSAS been brought up on this board, with full discussion, and with the Bible as the reference? And still no concensus!

Yet we all say that our beliefs come from the Bible and we bandy about quotes and excerpts to try and prove our points. The fact is that if we are believing in the Bible and interpreting it differently in so many ways, THEN MANY OF US HAVE TO BE WRONG!

What is the problem? Do we interpret Scripture as to how we want Scripture to read. Do we interpret Scripture as to how our pastor taught us to interpret it? Do we interpret Scripture literally or do we add our own opinions as to what Scripture should be?

So many of us have different truths from reading the same Scripture. But there aren't many different truths, only one truth, God's truth. That would mean that many of us are living with lies/untruths in our faith. What's wrong with this picture?

My thoughts ...God wrote His Word they way He did on purpose . His Word could have been a list like the TEN . I like that we read and understand things differently, while staying in the realm of Christianity . I like that we do not a totally written script. We glean and gather from the Scripture at our understanding some of us need milk some need meat some need both. God well knew what He was/is presenting in His Word.

As you can gather or i have said i believe my salvation is secure in Him, which many have labeled OSAS. My believe in no way claims those who disagree are not saved . Personally when i thought/believed i had to be re-saved about once a week , good ol Sunday night conviction , as i am today. All by His GRACE

Snacks

Feb 10, 2022
If I save someone from drowning in a pool: that is - I saved them, but they jump back into the pool again after I leave, and drown: Now does that mean that since they lost their life, that I never saved them at all?
You didn’t prevent them from getting back in the water; you didn’t build a protective fence; you didn’t teach them to swim; you didn’t give them a life preserver; you didn’t provide a lifeguard; you didn’t drain the pool; and most of all, you turned your back on them and left them orphaned, something Jesus Christ will never do. Ultimately, you didn’t save them.

J

JAPOV

You didn’t prevent them from getting back in the water; you didn’t build a protective fence; you didn’t teach them to swim; you didn’t give them a life preserver; you didn’t provide a lifeguard; you didn’t drain the pool; and most of all, you turned your back on them and left them orphaned, something Jesus Christ will never do. Ultimately, you didn’t save them.
The Lord works in mysterious ways....
If I'm Spirit filled, but I still drown... It must have been God calling me home :cool:

BeeThePeace

May 2, 2022
Just looking carefully at the one verse you quote is sufficient to see the point:

John 5:24 says that the one who is hearing and is believing (both verbs are the Greek present tense = ongoing action) has eternal life. That promise is sufficient for me. I do not need to add "unrevocable security" to the text.
Though irrevocable is part of the text. And I think that along with the rest of the text is vital to understand that Salvation is a gift from God and his grace.
And he shall never take it from us. Because he knew us before we were born.
We cannot surprise God with our behaviors. Because all that we are, every particle, is of God. And from God.

We are called by God to enter into his grace gift of Salvation. How can we think we are able to do anything to lose what we never did anything to achieve?

BeeThePeace

May 2, 2022
How do you live a righteous life without being led by the Spirit?
They don't understand. The worldly nature knows we have to labor and strive to keep our flesh fed, clothed and under shelter.

The free irrevocable gift from God and his grace is incomprehensible to the worldly nature. The domain of man's controls, ego. They don't know how to let go and let God lead their life.

Which is why the worldly nature is convinced still of its own authority and power within the individual. Thinking it has to assist in saving itself.

Bringing itself into a new system of controls that they must manage through a new adjustment to their worldly nature. The same thing only different.They can't let go.

Because now their ego is convinced God needs them to work to save themselves. And if they excell they'll be rewarded with eternal life after they die and are judged worthy.

J

JAPOV

They don't understand. The worldly nature knows we have to labor and strive to keep our flesh fed, clothed and under shelter.

The free irrevocable gift from God and his grace is incomprehensible to the worldly nature. The domain of man's controls, ego. They don't know how to let go and let God lead their life.

Which is why the worldly nature is convinced still of its own authority and power within the individual. Thinking it has to assist in saving itself.

Bringing itself into a new system of controls that they must manage through a new adjustment to their worldly nature. The same thing only different.They can't let go.

Because now their ego is convinced God needs them to work to save themselves. And if they excell they'll be rewarded with eternal life after they die and are judged worthy.
Completely "letting go" is indeed difficult, we are in this world but not of it.
Many say, "God helps those who help themselves...," this is only partially true. What's hard to grasp is that you only have to help yourself ONCE, then the rest is in God's hands.

Biblical "prosperity" is not the same as worldly prosperity... :cool:

BeeThePeace

May 2, 2022
Completely "letting go" is indeed difficult, we are in this world but not of it.
Many say, "God helps those who help themselves...," this is only partially true. What's hard to grasp is that you only have to help yourself ONCE, then the rest is in God's hands.

It is difficult at first. We're usually raised to be self-reliant, responsible for our actions, etc...
However, I find with practice, mediation,prayer, it like anything else becomes easier with the more experience we acquire.

Taking note of the changes helps bolster our awareness too I think. I keep a journal.
I notice, when I relax and go with the flow of my life come what may, spirit will lead me to take notice of the pattern of events in my life. Events that will often repeat themselves from one event to another. Over weeks, months, even years.
And as it happens in the new circumstance, I'll notice this transparency visual recall of a very similar event in the past interjecting itself almost like a rerun of that event in the past. So that in that new moment I then become aware I've been here before, seen this happening in some way before.

I find that lets me realize I need make a different decision from that which I recognize now as something that I did before. And due to that transparency that makes itself known so to afford me that opportunity.

When I am aware in that sense I notice the spirit then leads me to do or say something else. Something different than what had occurred before. And when I do follow the spirit's lead, everything turns out differently, and for the better.
It's all related to a common link or lesson I'm to learn.

And you've probably heard people speak in terms of God speaking to them. Hearing his voice? I've heard that. It's my voice in a sense but it's got a different tone and feel as it speaks direction or leads me to say something in a given moment.

And again, when I listen and follow that guidance things work out. When I don't I end up regretting what I should have done but failed to.

It's a fascinating journey that will last all my life. That's why I believe ours is a relationship with God. Not a religion about God. 😊💕🌈🌹

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Many say, "God helps those who help themselves...," this is only partially true. What's
hard to grasp is that you only have to help yourself ONCE, then the rest is in God's hands.

Hebrews 13:14
:)

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
Matthew 24
9“Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and put you to death, and you will be hated by all nations for my name’s sake. 10And then many will fall away and betray one another and hate one another. 11And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. 12And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold. 13But the one who endures to the end will be saved.
Why is there warnings all thru the NT about being led astray if OSAS is true?

J

JAPOV

Matthew 24
9“Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and put you to death, and you will be hated by all nations for my name’s sake. 10And then many will fall away and betray one another and hate one another. 11And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. 12And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold. 13But the one who endures to the end will be saved.
Why is there warnings all thru the NT about being led astray if OSAS is true?
Because God is merciful. The pre-trib rapture will take away the hindering Spirit (the true church) allowing the false prophet to come to power. However, God provides 144,000 to minister to the world during the tribulation. Again, many during the tribulation will have the knowledge of God but deny His power and accept the mark of the beast... but God also promises to pour out His Spirit at that time and many will be saved.

Chester

May 23, 2016

The problem is not interpretation of Scripture. It is taking one's presupposed doctrine and docrtinal statements and imposing it upon the Scriptures.

Nov 26, 2021
India
Was King David "Once Saved, Always Saved". He was the Anointed of the Lord, a man after God's own Heart, and had walked with the Lord since his youth. Yet, when he sinned gravely, by adultery, he prayed "Take not Thy Holy Spirit from me" showing it is a possibility for us. And God had to send the Prophet Nathan to rebuke him. When David confessed his sin, he was forgiven. St. John teaches us the same.

Psa 51 KJV:

9Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.

10Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

11Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

12Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

Same with St. Peter; he had believed in Christ and was justified, yet he sinned by denying Christ. When we repented, he was forgiven and restored to God's Grace. When believers are justified, the Holy Spirit dwells in us. If we sin gravely, we lose Him. If we die having the Holy Spirit, we will be saved. We see from many clear Biblical Examples Justification and Final Salvation are different.

It is God's Grace that enables us to persevere, we can't do it without Him. But He told His Apostles to Watch and Pray, so that they do not fall, and we are to do the same. We are to Watch, grow in Grace, love and forgive, do good works and Pray to receive Perseverance.

Mat 26:

74Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew. 75And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly.

God Bless.

J

JAPOV

Was King David "Once Saved, Always Saved". He was the Anointed of the Lord, a man after God's own Heart, and had walked with the Lord since his youth. Yet, when he sinned gravely, by adultery, he prayed "Take not Thy Holy Spirit from me" showing it is a possibility for us. And God had to send the Prophet Nathan to rebuke him. When David confessed his sin, he was forgiven. St. John teaches us the same.

Psa 51 KJV:

9Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.

10Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

11Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

12Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

Same with St. Peter; he had believed in Christ and was justified, yet he sinned by denying Christ. When we repented, he was forgiven and restored to God's Grace. When believers are justified, the Holy Spirit dwells in us. If we sin gravely, we lose Him. If we die having the Holy Spirit, we will be saved. We see from many clear Biblical Examples Justification and Final Salvation are different.

It is God's Grace that enables us to persevere, we can't do it without Him. But He told His Apostles to Watch and Pray, so that they do not fall, and we are to do the same. We are to Watch, grow in Grace, love and forgive, do good works and Pray to receive Perseverance.

Mat 26:

74Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew. 75And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly.

God Bless.
Jesus took two thieves to heaven with Him when He was crucified. Do you really believe that David and Peter ever lost their salvation? There is a hierarchy in heaven, that's why we must ALL face judgment. All is according to God's will... we just can't see it.

Nov 26, 2021
India
Jesus took two thieves to heaven with Him when He was crucified. Do you really believe that David and Peter ever lost their salvation? There is a hierarchy in heaven, that's why we must ALL face judgment. All is according to God's will... we just can't see it.
Hi Japov.

I agree there is a Hierarchy in Heaven, and I believe the believer who is fruitful in good works and who labors more in love for the Lord will receive more rewards in Heaven, according to "every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour." (1 Cor 3:8)

Of course, I believe King David and St. Peter received Final Salvation and are in Heaven. What I believe they may have lost is the indwelling Presence of the Holy Spirit, when they sinned. When they confessed and repented, they were restored to His Grace.

God Bless.

J

JAPOV

Hi Japov.

I agree there is a Hierarchy in Heaven, and I believe the believer who is fruitful in good works and who labors more in love for the Lord will receive more rewards in Heaven, according to "every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour." (1 Cor 3:8)

Of course, I believe King David and St. Peter received Final Salvation and are in Heaven. What I believe they may have lost is the indwelling Presence of the Holy Spirit, when they sinned. When they confessed and repented, they were restored to His Grace.

God Bless.
Just as God the Father had to turn away from Jesus?

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Hi Japov.

God Bless.
So, would it be possible that an individual weaves in and out of Gods salvation based on any transgression committed and the amount of repentance they have? I mean we sin almost daily whether through actions or thoughts.

J

JAPOV

So, would it be possible that an individual weaves in and out of Gods salvation based on any transgression committed and the amount of repentance they have? I mean we sin almost daily whether through actions or thoughts.
We even sin in our own ignorance...
Doesn't the Spirit convict you of sin and lead you to repentance?

Nov 26, 2021
India
Just as God the Father had to turn away from Jesus?
Well, as we know, that was because of this: "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." (2 Cor 5:21)

So, I think when Christ was "made sin for us, Who had no sin", at that time, He experienced what it was like to be forsaken by God.

With regard to King David and Apostle Peter, I don't think it was exactly the same. He was always guiltless, but they were guilty.

Well, there is a difference between Deadly/Mortal sin and Non-deadly sin, that does not lead to death. Adultery/Apostasy etc are deadly sins.

1 Jn 5:

"16If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he should ask God, who will give life to those who commit this kind of sin. There is a sin that leads to death; I am not saying he should ask regarding that sin. 17All unrighteousness is sin, yet there is sin that does not lead to death."

God Bless.