Do you believe in (OSAS) Once Saved, Always Saved?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Please ponder for a moment.......isn't that thinking suggesting a varied degree of salvation...notwithstanding scripture of the 5 crowns....?
Example ...concluding Billy Graham's standing with God is as we saw him, would he not have greater salvation recognition than...oh....me?
I wouldn't put it exactly in those terms, but yes. Several passages say pretty much that.

Hebrews 11:35

New King James Version

35 Women received their dead raised to life again.
Others were tortured, not accepting deliverance, that they might obtain a better resurrection.

Here we see the Apostles jockeying for position in the Kingdom.

Mark 10:37-39

New King James Version

37 They said to Him, “Grant us that we may sit, one on Your right hand and the other on Your left, in Your glory.”
38 But Jesus said to them, “You do not know what you ask. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?”
39 They said to Him, “We are able.”
So Jesus said to them, “You will indeed drink the cup that I drink, and with the baptism I am baptized with you will be baptized;

And we are told by Jesus to store up treasures in Heaven.
We've all been told "you can't take it with you, so enjoy it here!" Well, you can't take it with you. But you can send it ahead in advance by using it to help others and build the Kingdom.

And of course the quintessential passage that talks in fairly good detail about rewards and position in Heaven is:

1 Corinthians 3:9-17

New King James Version

9 For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you are God’s building. 10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.
16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone [a]defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.

Aug 3, 2019
So let's discuss the doctrine/issue of so-called Conditional Security vs Eternal Security. Do you believe in Once Saved, Always Saved? I believe Salvation is a Combination of the Grace of Justification+the Grace of Perseverance i.e. Salvation=Justification+Perseverance. So, after Justification, we must pray for perseverance, otherwise we risk being cut off or falling away, as the Bible records that some have done. By God's Grace, we can persevere to the end.

The famous saying of Our Lord is: "But the one who perseveres to the end will be saved." (Mat 24:13)

Three or four passages to start off the discussion below:

1. John 15: "2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit ... 6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned."

Seems to be echoed in Romans 11:22: "22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off."

2. Heb 6:4-6:
"4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame."

3. 2 Pet 2:20-22:

"20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.

22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire."

These verses very clearly seem to teach that Justification!=(not equal to)Salvation. Initial Justification+Final Perseverance = Full Salvation. Thoughts?

God Bless,
Xavier.
I been telling people for years that Matthew 24:12-13 KJV destroys the idea of OSAS by showing us that the "many" who allow widespread iniquity to turn their agape love cold and dead leave themselves unable to endure to the end and thus wind up lost...are the SAINTS!!!! --- because "agape" love is demonstrated only by those who keep God's commandments (1 John 5:3 KJV) while the lost can't keep God's commandments even is they wanted to (Romans 8:7 KJV) and can no sooner demonstrate agape love than can a leopard change his spots or the Ethiopian his skin.

I used to think the most confused individual on the planet is a CAUCASIAN RASTAFARIAN, but since I began preaching the above truth, I now see that even more confused than they are these "Christians" on CC who are now preaching that the lost can partake of God's agape love in a desperate attempt to preserve the lie of OSAS from the devastation Matthew 24:12-13 KJV causes it.

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
John 5:24: “Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”
What does it mean to believe?

I love this verse. However, I think we have to be careful how we convey the phrase "believeth on him" when we speak to non-believers concerning the Good News.

From what I understand, the word "believe" goes way beyond believing that Jesus died on a cross and was raised from the dead three days later. It means that we cling to the hope that eternal salvation provides.

It has to start with believing in the Father

Therein lies another problem for today's non-believer. They first have to believe in God the Father and in the kingdom of heaven. Further, they have to believe in the dire consequences of breaking even one of His commandments. That's quite a tall order within our relativistic society.

Then there's the problem of repentance

Once the Holy Spirit convinces them of these things, whether through us or hearing the message on the radio or TV, there is still the problem of repentance. The non-believer has to admit they are a sinner, be convinced that it will lead to eternal damnation, and be willing to look at their sin with repulsion as God does. Again, a very tall order, indeed.

The "sinner's prayer" is not enough

I have always loved Billy Graham and his teachings. Because I love the Gospel more than life itself, I can listen to his wonderful preaching for hours.

However, his audience, even as early as 20 years ago, was made up of people who at least would consider knowing the God of the bible. Now, they are taught in our public schools to flat-out reject Him.

Taking someone through the sinner's prayer who does not even believe they are flawed in any way will not have any effect whatsoever. Instead, the non-believer in 2022 will have to start with the basics of who God really is.

A new process for witnessing

Even the Samaritan woman who Jesus visited at the well in Sychar understood who God was. She also knew clearly she was breaking His commandments. So, when Jesus told her he was the Massiah, she could not contain her excitement. She ran through the village telling everyone who he was.

I hope when we witness a new conversion, we see that level of enthusiasm today, but often, that is not the case. Also, I sometimes read posts on this site questioning another person's salvation. In other words, we often ask, "Is that person "really saved?"

Those questions go away when the non-believer overcomes these tall hurdles:

1. They fear the God of the bible
2. They understand they have broken God's commandments
3. They understand that the penalty of sin is an eternity in hell
4. They are convinced that sin is a bad thing and following God's commandments is the way to go
5. They are convinced that Jesus Christ is the ONLY bridge between us and eternity in heaven
6. They are willing to give up their personal sovereignty (something we don't talk to non-believers about enough, unfortunately)
7. They are willing to finally make Jesus their savior and lord over their lives

Unfortunately, in 2022, we often have to start at number one and tell people who the God of the bible really is. That's okay, as long as everyone we know gets to number seven.

May 22, 2020
This

Taken together with this

Makes up a great point really, it's the end result of this doctrine. Instead of running the race and enduring to the end in order to win the incorruptible crown it is pretty much everyone gets a participation trophy even if they give up before even the first lap.
A good summary .

Further, it does not even meet the test of common sense.

It is part of the ...new age religion...thinking which began back in the 1960's and is gaining momentum. Few realize that most of new bible editions since the same time era are from the leftist thinking and slanting to reach their agenda.

Snacks

Feb 10, 2022
doesnt matter if it is OSAS...

not my doctine . just thinking of the wider path we could all follow if it is true
The beauty of knowing our salvation is secure is that it affords us the freedom to live a life that is pleasing to God while being focused on God with joyful, thankful hearts.

If you live the same kind of life but are doing so in order to keep your salvation, your focus is upon yourself rather than God which culminates in a life sorely lacking in a joyful relationship with God.

Jan 12, 2022
Well it seems we finally reached the easy road to slaughter this doctrine. So I suppose we will just fire the silver bullet we been holding. Though it has been pretty fun exploring the other verses, and examples of people in the Bible, and great and wondrous things about the resurrection that often don't get much attention. Remember faith is good indeed, have faith and keep it and run the race and draw not back from the faith (though it is possible), and hope for the resurrection which is the promise of God as shown in his Son, Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 10:35-39
35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.

36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

37 For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.

38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

Robertt

May 22, 2019
Bahrain
The beauty of knowing our salvation is secure is that it affords us the freedom to live a life that is pleasing to God while being focused on God with joyful, thankful hearts.

If you live the same kind of life but are doing so in order to keep your salvation, your focus is upon yourself rather than God which culminates in a life sorely lacking in a joyful relationship with God.
But there is pleasure in sin for a season so why not sin . The only reason to not sin is the co sequence me if disappointing gid but if he not disappointed and we still enter heaven then perhaps it is of no isrue
so yes I try to follow Christ because the bible tellls me there are consequences . I’d no consequences then I am trying for no point at all but fair well I will nit post in this area again as it is of no point

Snacks

Feb 10, 2022
But there is pleasure in sin for a season so why not sin
Those of us who understand our salvation is secure avoid deliberately sinning to the best of our ability because we want to honor and please God.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
How good at finding things is omniscient God from Whom nothing can possibly be hidden?
Well, I agree Yahweh will bend over backwards to do His part to make sure we don't get lost, and to find us if we do. However, there are so many verses in scripture that warn us not to wander off we have to accept as a possibility that some will wander off and not be found. If it wasn't a worry, why so many warnings?

A person has to not want to get lost, and to be found if he does. If someone doesn't want to be found they probably won't be.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
My Church is called the Holy Virgin Bride, and she is not of this earth and is at war with the entire earth which in the End will be destroyed by the Revelation of the face of my Father. Denominations are entirely forbidden and the Holy Virgin Bride shall utterly supplant all of them. My Father will save all his children, resurrecting them to eternal life, and my Lord, Jesus Christ, will have his Holy Virgin Bride and we will all dwell together as a family face to face with our Father, as he always intended, for eternity, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
Ok, what kind of church did you use to attend?

arthurfleminger

Aug 18, 2021
OSAS suggests that, after receiving Christ and the Holy Spirit, nothing can take away our salvation. So, I guess Jesus was just joking when He said, "But then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you. Depart from Me, you who practice evil.’ Mathew 7:23

arthurfleminger

Aug 18, 2021
What is the 'Once saved always saved' point, the point at which I can no longer lose my salvation? How do I know whether or not I've attained this point? Thanks

Snacks

Feb 10, 2022
OSAS suggests that, after receiving Christ and the Holy Spirit, nothing can take away our salvation. So, I guess Jesus was just joking when He said, "But then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you. Depart from Me, you who practice evil.’ Mathew 7:23
What part of NEVER knew you do you not understand?

Snacks

Feb 10, 2022
What is the 'Once saved always saved' point, the point at which I can no longer lose my salvation? How do I know whether or not I've attained this point? Thanks
Romans 10:9-10

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
That would assume Jesus is speaking to His own, which quite frankly makes no sense.

John 6:37
:)

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
No one can "lose" their salvation since salvation isn't complete until we die or the Lord comes. We can only succeed or fail to finish the race.

Snacks

Feb 10, 2022
No one can "lose" their salvation since salvation isn't complete until we die or the Lord comes. We can only succeed or fail to finish the race.
You have faith in Jesus Christ but you’re not saved right now implies you believe in a salvation that is merited upon your actions rather than God’s grace.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Charles Stanley, Eternal Security, Can You Be Sure?, 1990.

"Even if a believer for all practical purposes becomes an unbeliever, his salvation is not in jeopardy. Christ will remain faithful."—p.93

"And last, believers who lose or abandon their faith will retain their salvation, for God remains faithful."—p.94

Emphasis added.

Seriously? You gotta be kidding me.