Do you believe you can get to know God better by learning in general?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Marano

Dec 7, 2011
What I mean by that is when you study mathematics, languages, biology, physics, chemistry, history, geography and other fields of knowledge? I believe we can, by following this logic: the more we know about God's creation, the more we know about the Creator. There are hidden mysteries and knowledge to be obtained in almost every field of knowledge I believe.

For example before studying natural sciences I wouldn't be able to ascertain God created everything in 6 literal days and the earth is only about 6000 years old, but after doing research on it I found out about all the evidence proving the bible is true, before that I would take those statements on faith.

I believe it's the same thing with other fields of knowledge when we learn it can be a way to glorify our God, by getting to know the creation better, and glorifying the Creator.

B

BeyondET

Yes, how else would folks learn more of these other planets in our solar system.

May 13, 2017
What I mean by that is when you study mathematics, languages, biology, physics, chemistry, history, geography and other fields of knowledge? I believe we can, by following this logic: the more we know about God's creation, the more we know about the Creator. There are hidden mysteries and knowledge to be obtained in almost every field of knowledge I believe.

For example before studying natural sciences I wouldn't be able to ascertain God created everything in 6 literal days and the earth is only about 6000 years old, but after doing research on it I found out about all the evidence proving the bible is true, before that I would take those statements on faith.

I believe it's the same thing with other fields of knowledge when we learn it can be a way to glorify our God, by getting to know the creation better, and glorifying the Creator.
I would learn so much more about you by spending time with you, than I would just reading your letters to me. I can study the letters to the point where they fall apart and learn a lot about you. But spending time with YOU would open up everything about you, and build a relationship at the same time. ¿entiende?

Apr 23, 2017
I would learn so much more about you by spending time with you, than I would just reading your letters to me. I can study the letters to the point where they fall apart and learn a lot about you. But spending time with YOU would open up everything about you, and build a relationship at the same time. ¿entiende?
how do u spend time with God?????? u cant play basketball together........... so what u are saying in a roundabout way is praying right???????? speaking to God, maybe singing songs?????? just making sure im not missing something important i could be doing............

Apr 23, 2017
i agree u can see God's hand in physics math and nature in general....... kent hovind has some studies on this check it out he is into creation science i like his stuff...........

Marano

Dec 7, 2011
i agree u can see God's hand in physics math and nature in general....... kent hovind has some studies on this check it out he is into creation science i like his stuff...........
I've watched and seen a lot of Kent Hovind already, I know what he teaches, although I don't agree with everything he will say.

May 13, 2017
how do u spend time with God?????? u cant play basketball together........... so what u are saying in a roundabout way is praying right???????? speaking to God, maybe singing songs?????? just making sure im not missing something important i could be doing............
You put in all of the right things but one. A very important one. If I spend time with you, would you appreciate it if I did all the talking? Or would you want me to listen to you too?
When I'm reading in Gods Word, He's talking to me, If I do not understand what He is saying, I stop and ask. "I don't understand this. What do you mean by that?" and I wait for the answer which is Always forthcoming. So then, its not always prayer but conversation.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
You are absolutely right. All knowledge ultimately comes from God since (a) He has embedded His natural laws in the universe, (b) He has given human beings the capacity to discover this knowledge, and (c) He has also created geniuses throughout the history of mankind to dig out this knowledge. Archimedes is a good example, although he did not have a personal relationship with the Creator (as far as we know). The book of Job has some amazing insights into creation also.

However, all knowledge should lead all men to ultimately know the Creator as their Savior, therefore the Scriptures are the pinnacle of knowledge. At the same time this knowledge is not hidden from children,so it does not take a genius to see that God has made complete provision for human beings to become children of God and have eternal life for all eternity.

The greatest travesty on earth is that all the great universities and colleges began as schools of theology but have now become hotbeds of atheistic Marxism and anarchy. That is what happens when men turn away from God and seek to make themselves gods.

May 13, 2017
You are absolutely right. All knowledge ultimately comes from God since (a) He has embedded His natural laws in the universe, (b) He has given human beings the capacity to discover this knowledge, and (c) He has also created geniuses throughout the history of mankind to dig out this knowledge. Archimedes is a good example, although he did not have a personal relationship with the Creator (as far as we know). The book of Job has some amazing insights into creation also.

However, all knowledge should lead all men to ultimately know the Creator as their Savior, therefore the Scriptures are the pinnacle of knowledge. At the same time this knowledge is not hidden from children,so it does not take a genius to see that God has made complete provision for human beings to become children of God and have eternal life for all eternity.

The greatest travesty on earth is that all the great universities and colleges began as schools of theology but have now become hotbeds of atheistic Marxism and anarchy. That is what happens when men turn away from God and seek to make themselves gods.
By studying Gods creation you can learn something of Him. But most of what you will learn is Gods creation. You want to get to know Him? Spend time with Him.

Enow

Banned
Dec 21, 2012

I know His promise that those who seek Him, can find Him in fields of knowledge, but when corrupt men are in that field of knowledge, you may find persecution instead, which is why we are invited to learn of Him personally is through the scripture.

John 5:[SUP]39 [/SUP]Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Matthew 11:[SUP]25 [/SUP]At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.[SUP] 26 [/SUP]Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight.[SUP] 27 [/SUP]All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.[SUP] 28 [/SUP]Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.[SUP] 29 [/SUP]Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.[SUP] 30 [/SUP]For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

2 Timothy 3:[SUP]12 [/SUP]Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.[SUP]13 [/SUP]But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived. [SUP]14 [/SUP]But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;[SUP] 15 [/SUP]And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.[SUP] 16 [/SUP]All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:[SUP]17 [/SUP]That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

I am glad the Lord is helping you find the truth in His words in the fields of knowledge, but that should make you rely on the scripture all the more.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I find it interesting that the OP has encouraged searching out knowledge in general (we used to call that "curiosity"), and of learning more about God in the process, and some people still find reason to criticize, cajole and correct.

As I learn more about God's creation, I have more reason to glorify Him. I believe that He has built curiosity into us so that we learn of His creation, and thereby of Him. If all we did were pray and read Scripture all day, we would know nothing of anatomy and physiology, husbandry, biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, astronomy, and a thousand other things that God created for our care, exploration, and enjoyment. Scripture may be the pinnacle, but even a pinnacle has much undergirding. :)

R

ROSSELLA

Definitely! The more I see of the world and the more I learn the more I'm in awe of the Creator!

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
What does God's Word need undergirded with?
If you recall the LORD God had to show Job the marvels of His creation in order for Job to truly "see" God and His Almighty power and wisdom. So in that sense, the Word of God directed us to see His creation as an expression of God's sovereignty over all things, and that is the "undergirding" he is referring to. The Word of God begins with the creative acts of God, and also incorporates that creation account into the Ten Commandments.

EarsToHear

Jan 14, 2016
You learn about God from the source: His Word. Man will always let you down, no matter how well meaning he may be.

Psalms 118:8 It is better to trust in the Lord Than to put confidence in man.

Why? Because man is vain, and he will let you down. However, our heavenly Father will never let you down. All men, no matter how well you think of him, he is still a man, human, and he has his problems also. This is why we keep our eyes on our Lord and put our faith and trust in Him for He will never let you down. Father created your very soul and He knows what is good for your soul.

Psalms 118:9 It is better to trust in the Lord Than to put confidence in princes.

Even the finest of world leaders will let you down. Sure they try to do their best, but even the best fall short of perfection, because they are human and as such, not perfect. Even when things are going wrong, and we get tangled in strife between nation, we know that it is God that is in control. God brings about the setting up of nations and bringing them down. He moves and controls all nations in the fulfillment of His plan, and that plan is recorded in His Scripture. This is why we are to study all the Scripture, for we are living in the time of the end, and the world shall be deceived in our day. This allows us to view the events of our day with understanding, knowing how these events fit into God's plan.

Also, nowhere in His Word, does it say that the world is only 6,000 yrs. old.

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

There are two bodies mentioned in this verse; the heaven and the earth. It simply stated a fact and left the time factor out. The verse not only did not say when, but left it totally to our imagination, as to the eternal span of time, and how the creation took place.

Marano

Dec 7, 2011
I find it interesting that the OP has encouraged searching out knowledge in general (we used to call that "curiosity"), and of learning more about God in the process, and some people still find reason to criticize, cajole and correct.

As I learn more about God's creation, I have more reason to glorify Him. I believe that He has built curiosity into us so that we learn of His creation, and thereby of Him. If all we did were pray and read Scripture all day, we would know nothing of anatomy and physiology, husbandry, biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, astronomy, and a thousand other things that God created for our care, exploration, and enjoyment. Scripture may be the pinnacle, but even a pinnacle has much undergirding. :)
As long as we have the holy spirit we'll approach all things with Christ's mind, and then we'll have the right perception of things and that'll only lead us to glorify God the more.

Jul 23, 2017
u need to get in da spirit and away from da flesh. have face on face discussion with Jesus

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Also, nowhere in His Word, does it say that the world is only 6,000 yrs. old.
Some thing which many Christians still have to learn is that everything is not EXPLICITLY stated in Scripture. God has many truths which are implicit, since He expects us to labor in the Word and doctrine, not simply look for "easy pickins".

So yes the Bible does not state explicitly that the world is only 6,000 years old (or approximately so). However, the Holy Spirit has carefully recorded for us many genealogies and also given us "dates" as to when the patriarchs were born, when they died, and how long they lived on earth. In addition to that we have various secular chronologies.

However, Martin Anstey created a chronology which is (a) strictly based on the Masoretic Hebrew Text of the Old Testament and the Authorized Version of the Bible (KJV), (b) corrected the chronology of Ptolemy (on which almost all chronologers have relied but is in error by over 80 years) and (c) used the creation of Adam as the first Year of Man (Anno Hominis or AH).

You will find his research in The Chronology of the Old Testament and it is worth reading if you want to know the truth. So based on the Year of Man, the earth is indeed approximately 6,000 years old, and archeology and radiometric data also confirm this to a large degree.

Naturally, the Bible is in conflict with Evolutionism with its millions and billions of years for species to evolve. But evolution is not genuine science, and many respected scientists (Christian and non-Christian) have rejected the theory of evolution (which is essentially absurd). Genuine science will never be in conflict with Scripture, since the same God who created the universe also created the natural laws through which science has been established.

DustyRhodes

Dec 30, 2016
Just have a look at the cult "Scientology" and what happens when you rely
on sciences and and many other methods. That cult has gone so fare away
from Christ, I don't even know if He is in their literature any more. Dedicate
your life to Christ by surrendering to Him. Pray often not only petition prayer
but by putting yourself in His presence. You will find out all you ever know
about God and in the process, begin to do His will and not your own.