Do you know why you are a protestant???

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 28, 2016
I suggest you read the whole statement I said I never said Whitefield taught that we are born again through baptism
I never made the claim that you said the above. Go re-read my statement, it said nothing of the sort. Go read what I actually said.

Dec 28, 2016
Sorry, just currently dissapear in hardly any churches staying "alive" around my area because it seems people are just too nervous or feel out of place. In the UK we don't really have street preachers, or street evangelists. Just a few quiet leaflet givers or a preacher that gets arrested etc.

But they still preach to "check ourselves". No one wants to rock the boat so we all just mull along quietly whilst the churches, seem to die.
I am sorry for all of that dear brother. We will pray for you. Thanks for clarifying your statement.

vic1980

Apr 25, 2013
"if anyone shall say , that by faith alone the impious is justified... Let him be anathema" council of Trent ( Session 6 , Chapter 16 , canon 9 )

"Should anyone , which God forbid , have the termerity to reject this definition of [ the Pope Infallibility] let him be anathema " First Vatican Council ( Session 4 , Chapter 4 )

Forbid to continue to post these abominable laws from them

Constantine RELIGIO LICITA = State licensed Church not the one Jesus Christ founded.

Get out of her my people , Shalom

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
This question has been affirmed for quite some time now in Catholic doctrine the concept of Limbo was never doctrine let's keep that in mind but there was a time when it was a really popular private belief. Now popes within the last 400 years or so have mostly shifted away from this view and I and most Catholics would tend to agree.

The teaching as to what happens when someone who has Christian faith and does good deeds dies without the grace of the sacraments(as without baptism one cannot receive any other sacraments) what will happen well there are 2 possible scenarios, did the "faithful Christian" willfully reject baptism as unneeded and pointless if he did this by his own will this Christian would not be saved as he would have been knowingly rejected the opportunity to be born again and he would also knowingly be rejecting God's grace. Now for the more relevant scenario that I think everyone is trying to get at what about the man who has Christian faith who did good but did not reject the sacraments but just happened to never receive them because he did not fully understand their merit or he may have never gotten the opportunity to be baptized, the Catholic teaching is that we entrust them to God's grace and that they should be saved due to baptism of desire. Essentially the sacraments are God's way of imputing grace on the faithful however God is not held only to these sacraments if a good man died but did everything to the best of his knowledge(lacked for knowledge of the truth of Christianity or the opportunity to be baptized) he will not be damned. God is a merciful God.
Let me clarify my statement. The scenario is that a person accepts Jesus and the baptism is scheduled. On the way home the person is killed in an accident. Some denominations view the person as unsaved. I disagree with that view. Those denominations normally have a baptism immediately.

Last edited:

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
I am not a Catholic firstly because my family were not Catholic and I didnt know any during my Childhood. Secondly because there are certain teachings that I don't agree with. That just about sums it up.

May 1, 2016
Let me clarify my statement. The scenario is that a person accepts Jesus and the baptism is scheduled. On the way home the person is killed in an accident. Some denominations view the person as unsaved. I disagree with that view. Those denominations normally have a baptism immediately.
While the Catholic Church would schedule the baptism ASAP as baptism is believed to be necessary for salvation it is not believed that the unbaptized will be damned if they have Christian faith(as stated earlier in Catholicism God's means of grace is believed to be through the sacraments however God's mercy is not bound to the sacraments think of the good thief on the cross) and do everything in their power to receive the sacramental grace received from baptism, in the scenario you gave most Catholics would believe that this man would be saved. In fact I can not think of any Christian churches of denominations that hold such a strict interpretation of the necessity of baptism off the top of my head Calvinism maybe? idk though

May 1, 2016
again this would be different if the supposed Christian in the picture was willfully rejecting the grace of baptism but this is not the scenario you are offering

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
While the Catholic Church would schedule the baptism ASAP as baptism is believed to be necessary for salvation it is not believed that the unbaptized will be damned if they have Christian faith(as stated earlier in Catholicism God's means of grace is believed to be through the sacraments however God's mercy is not bound to the sacraments think of the good thief on the cross) and do everything in their power to receive the sacramental grace received from baptism, in the scenario you gave most Catholics would believe that this man would be saved. In fact I can not think of any Christian churches of denominations that hold such a strict interpretation of the necessity of baptism off the top of my head Calvinism maybe? idk though
Armenian denominations not Calvinist ones. If I remember correctly my friend went to a Church of God. This was 30 years ago.

Last edited:
May 1, 2016
Armenian denominations not Calvinist ones. If I remember correctly my friend went to a Church of God. This was 30 years ago.
What do you mean by Armenian; generally when one says Armenian Christianity I generally think of Armenian as in the country Armenia such as the Armenian Apostolic Church which is part of the Oriental Orthodox Church or Armenian Catholic Church which is in line with the Catholic Church at large I don't think either of these is what you are referring to however as the "Church of God" is a protestant church with Pentecostal roots from what I understand so I am not sure quite what you mean by Armenian denominations???

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
What do you mean by Armenian; generally when one says Armenian Christianity I generally think of Armenian as in the country Armenia such as the Armenian Apostolic Church which is part of the Oriental Orthodox Church or Armenian Catholic Church which is in line with the Catholic Church at large I don't think either of these is what you are referring to however as the "Church of God" is a protestant church with Pentecostal roots from what I understand so I am not sure quite what you mean by Armenian denominations???
There were two contemporary theologians that had opposing views.

Calvinism comes from the writings of John Calvin.
Arminianism comes from the writings of Jacobus Arminius.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
Some denominations are Reformed aka Calvinism.
Some others are Arminian.
Others have some adherence to one or the other.
Baptists are partial Reformed for example.
Some have nothing in common with the specific views.

5 minute rule sucks at times when Googling something is required.

Last edited:
May 1, 2016
There were two contemporary theologians that had opposing views.

Calvinism comes from the writings of John Calvin.
Arminianism comes from the writings of Jacobus Arminius.
ok I was actually aware that reformed was Calvinist and somewhat familiar with Jacob Arminius not familiar really at all with what he taught or what churches that follow him believe but the major reformers Calvin, Luther, etc I am fairly familiar with grew up Lutheran and most of my moms family is Baptist if I am not mistaking

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
The simple answer to the thread topic is I have major disagreements with the Catholic Church.

MichaelOwen

Nov 6, 2017
My bible teaches me to pray and confess my sins to only Jesus Christ, not to the virgin Mary, and certainly not to a priest whom, last i checked, was a man of sinful nature. RCC......yeah no gratzi!