Do you leave a tip when you pick up a takeout order? (POLL)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Do you leave a tip when you pick up a takeout order?

• Yes

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • I never order takeout

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
Aug 2, 2009
Do you leave a tip when you pick up a takeout order??

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Sometimes if they have a jar for tips.

Chicari

Dec 30, 2017
Like Tommy said, sometimes if they have a jar.

If it's a delivery at home - always.

L

LittleMermaid

For take out, never. I'm being honest. That's the point of going in person to pick it up...to save a few bucks.

If it's delivery, then yeah.

AAAPlus

Aug 2, 2011
No. Sometimes I don't even leave a tip when being served. I live in California; minimum wage here is $11 INCLUDING FOR SERVERS, and in a few years it will go up to $15. Tipping servers is to make up lost wages, but in California that's not a thing, so you don't need to tip here.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
No. Sometimes I don't even leave a tip when being served. I live in California; minimum wage here is $11 INCLUDING FOR SERVERS, and in a few years it will go up to $15. Tipping servers is to make up lost wages, but in California that's not a thing, so you don't need to tip here.
If you think that $11 an hour is a very good wage then perhaps you shouldn't tip. Don't expect them to go out of their way either though when you need an extra napkin or a refill on your lemonade.

Apr 14, 2007
If you think that $11 an hour is a very good wage then perhaps you shouldn't tip. Don't expect them to go out of their way either though when you need an extra napkin or a refill on your lemonade.
What you just said makes absolutely no sense, and here's why: 1. the server wouldn't know I wasn't going to tip. 2. They don't refill my lemonade? I won't pay for it. 3. They would get fired for not doing their job 4. Yes $11 is a good wage for a low-skill job

LOL

F

finaldesire

There is no tipping system in Australia, I have never really tipped anyone.

NewStuff17

Dec 30, 2017
The only time I tip with carryout is if someone behind the counter was awesome and had great conversation. They helped to make the experience more personable. But I always tip for delivery and dining in.

Feb 7, 2018
It depends on how much money I have & the service of course.

Feb 10, 2018
I don't know. Someone's I just do it anyway to be nice.

dailybread

Jan 7, 2018
The only time that I will tip for carryout is if there is a container for a charity present. The whole point of doing carryout is to not only avoid the tip, but to not get hit with the "delivery fee."

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
I think in the UK the culture is different. We (usually) only tip if the service given is 'beyond duty'. In other words great customer care given.

In the U.S it seems to be different. Maybe you guys can help us Brits understand why you have to basically tip everyone.. Is it usually because the wages are too low? I must admit I don't like the idea of someone expecting you to give them extra money when you have already paid for the product, an example would be: If you went for a meal, you pay for the product offered - the product is the whole experience, that experience includes service!

Feb 7, 2018
I think everyone expects to be tipped because we love money. Not everyone gets the idea of great service (which should happen anyway) or beyond extrodinary service only being worthy of a tip. I guess this would be the merit system, which I guess is apart of American culture.