Do you observe the Sabbath?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

joecoten

To me, 8 means "new beginnings." I love new beginnings! Tomorrow night, I'm going to my first prayer meeting...in a really long time! :)

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
“And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.”
The question Christians should ask themselves is "Why after eight days?" "Why not after 24, or 48, or 72 hours?" And therein lies the key to the Lord's Day.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
The issue of who is a true Jew is not even on the table. Jews today still observe the 7th day Sabbath, and in Israel the nation also observes this Sabbath. Sabbatarians such as Seventh Day Adventists follow the Jews. But the Lord's Day (the first day of the week) is the Christian Sabbath.
Nowhere in the bible does it explicitly state that the first day of the week is now the Sabbath. The first day of the week is really the Catholic sabbath and a lot of denominations adopted that for themselves. Is there a verse in the bible that has both the 'lord's Day' and the 'Sabbath' in it? My understanding that the day of the Lord takes place in the end-times where his wrath is released. Doesn't matter to me though on what day people set aside for rest, reflection, prayer, and meditation.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I observe the Sabbath as a day of rest. I am under the new covenant. The Sabbath was instituted by the Lord before the Mosaic law.
For me, it is a good thing. I don't tell others what to do. Having learned of my Hebrew ancestry, it's something I want to do.
That's a good report.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
you need to define the word observe. do i work on the sabbath? no. do i do all the things bible says to do on the sabbath? i dont and neither does anyone else.

no one actually 'keeps' the sabbath in a way that the OT demands. we live in the new covenant now.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Doesn't matter to me though on what day people set aside for rest, reflection, prayer, and meditation.
That is my thinking also. Set aside every seventh day for the Lord. Can be Saturday or Sunday.

J

joecoten

I've heard of Jews who came to believe that Jesus was their Messiah. They often describe themselves as fulfilled Jews.
Well, for me, for most of my life, I saw myself as an English-Canadian Christian. Then the Lord revealed to me, through many different ways, that I was a descendent of Levi. I guess now I'm becoming a fulfilled Jew, but in reverse. I'm not exactly sure what it all means, just that the Lord's been showing me this.
The Lord is slowly leading me down this road. I willingly and gladly acknowledge Saturday as the Sabbath. The same is true with me when it comes to things like eating pork and shellfish. This is my journey...I don't expect anyone else to, well, anything. And it raises a lot of questions. I'm slowly getting answers...I'm in no hurry.
I am in Christ, I am sure of my salvation. I have done a lot of repenting along the way. I am growing in the Lord and He is growing in me. Nothing's changed in what I believe. It's just growing and maturing. I'm a Jew...who knew? Lol

oyster67

May 24, 2014
you need to define the word observe. do i work on the sabbath? no. do i do all the things bible says to do on the sabbath? i dont and neither does anyone else.

no one actually 'keeps' the sabbath in a way that the OT demands. we live in the new covenant now.
Colossians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

oyster67

May 24, 2014
The Lord is slowly leading me down this road. I willingly and gladly acknowledge Saturday as the Sabbath. The same is true with me when it comes to things like eating pork and shellfish.
Are you saying that the Lord told you that you shouldn't eat pork and oysters?

J

joecoten

Are you saying that the Lord told you that you shouldn't eat pork and oysters?
No, I'm just aware of Leviticus 11 and what Torah-observant Messianic Jews do, and I thought that they might not be the healthiest things to eat, so I'm testing the waters. I've since had ham on pizza, and to tell you the truth, it grossed me out. Though I didn't feel guilty.
I'm also in contact with an on-line Messianic Ephraim group and a Christian Hebrew-roots group, so I'm influenced by what I see them do. No one has ever told me what to eat. It's what people choose to do.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
Colossians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
amen. unfortunately the sabbatarian / hebrew roots movement twist and turn this passage to no end to make it say something else entirely.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
No, I'm just aware of Leviticus 11 and what Torah-observant Messianic Jews do, and I thought that they might not be the healthiest things to eat, so I'm testing the waters. I've since had ham on pizza, and to tell you the truth, it grossed me out. Though I didn't feel guilty.
I'm also in contact with an on-line Messianic Ephraim group and a Christian Hebrew-roots group, so I'm influenced by what I see them do. No one has ever told me what to eat. It's what people choose to do.
be careful with the hebrew roots movement. they are not in the new covenant many times. read the book of galatians for an expose of this movement.

i also dont eat pork except maybe twice a year if im eating out, it is poor quality meat compared to beef. but we need not think that God is demanding us to obstain from pork, or that we are closer to God by doing so. the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking.

Romans 14:17
For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

Mark 7:19
For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.” (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.)

reason i warn you brother about the hebrew roots movement is that this movement wants to put people back under the law of Moses. they are masters of double talk and twisting verses. for evidence of this look up 119 ministries on youtube and look at their teachings, they still teach men should be circumcised in the new covenant. even though the new testament is so clearly against such a teaching, they just twist and turn to make it fit.

few examples of this double talk: they quote Jesus saying not one jot or tittle from the law will vanish until all be fulfilled and say see there? you still have to keep the feasts, get circumcised, keep the sabbath, keep the dietary laws. but these same hypocrites also will turn around and teach you no longer have to gather in Jerusalem for these holy days like the bible says, and they also usually teach animal sacrifices arent for today. the bible says they are to be done from generation to generation. so if you believe the law is still in effect, you need to do all of it not just parts.

they will try to trip you into thinking they preach salvation by grace thru faith. they say things like "you are saved by grace through faith, not of works.................. buuuuut later on you should get circumcised, keep the sabbath, do this and that for sanctification" in other words. if you dont do it ever, odds are you werent really saved to begin with since you dont have the obedience.
there is also double talk in this teaching because to say you should get circumcised is not true if we are to follow the old testament. in the old testament if you werent circumcised you were cut off from the people. not just dont worry about it grace get it done later. Moses almost died for disobeying this commandment. one man died for breaking the sabbath in the OT. these laws were no joke.

please if you have any questions about any verses talk to me i dont want someone to get trapped into the law of Moses.

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."

oyster67

May 24, 2014
amen. unfortunately the sabbatarian / hebrew roots movement twist and turn this passage to no end to make it say something else entirely.
Yes.

Very hard to twist when viewed in context, though.

Colossians 2
20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
22 Which all are to perish with the using after the commandments and doctrines of men?

J

joecoten

I am very careful about who I hang out with. Hebrew roots means all kinds of things. Sabbatarian, I've never heard of that. You should be more careful with your words. I've heard that "Christians" will screw you up. This is not a totally wrong statement, but it is a far cry from being the absolute truth.
One of the teachers at a group I've been in contact with is Doug Hamp. Perhaps you've heard of him?

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I am very careful about who I hang out with. Hebrew roots means all kinds of things. Sabbatarian, I've never heard of that. You should be more careful with your words. I've heard that "Christians" will screw you up. This is not a totally wrong statement, but it is a far cry from being the absolute truth.
One of the teachers at a group I've been in contact with is Doug Hamp. Perhaps you've heard of him?
Jesus died to set us free from all that bondage. Traditional Judaism denies and opposes the Gospel. One needs to choose. One cannot straddle the fence. One must not deny or belittle Jesus' Atonement.

Grace911

Nov 11, 2018
Just curious if anyone observes the Sabbath. It seems like some people do and some people don’t, citing a variety of reasons.

Are there any clear commands to observe a Sabbath rest on the seventh day of the week? Which verses? I ask because I see there are clear commands to observe some of the 10 commandments, but I can’t find anything about Jesus or one of the apostles commanding anyone to keep the Sabbath.

Personally I don’t observe Sabbath day of rest as of right now, but I’ve considered it and I’m not opposed to it.

Also, if you keep the Sabbath, what do you do and don’t do on your Sabbath day of rest?
I observe the Sabbath starting at sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday. I plan all week on everything I need to get done and foods prepared to eat. My whole week is focused on the coming 7th day and what does that mean to me. It means I am more focused on the deeper levels of understanding scriptures. I believe 100% that the LORD gave us commandments and instructions that are good for us. He also attached blessings for keeping His commandments which is how we show our LOVE for Him and he attached curses for not keeping His commandments. His food laws of what is clean and what is unclean is for our benefit. Do you want your children to question and disregard all of your good instructions just because they do not understand your instructions? I can make some guesses why we should not eat unclean animals, but I will not elaborate and insult anyone's intelligence.

Being part of a Sabbath fellowship is also a delight. Whether it is in person or on zoom, it is always a delight to be with other like minded believers, reading the portions and having open and honest discussion about those scriptures.

So how do I observe and keep His day Holy? I keep it simple. No shopping in any form (no cheating and shopping online). This way I remember that this is His day and not mine for my pleasure. Besides I have 6 other days to shop, so why take time and pollute His day and our date. I also do not sell anything on the Sabbath, again I have 6 days to do those things. I do no ordinary work that I could do the other 6 days of the week. I plan for this date with the LORD and fellow believers. Sometimes, I enjoy a wholesome movie, or reading a book. I might spend some time on the phone visiting with my daughters and grandchildren. I am always relaxed on His Holy day, but I find the rest of the week is also peaceful. Studying the scriptures, particularly the book of Instructions (the first five books of our Bibles. There I learn about Yah's Feasts Days (not the feast of the Jews) Leviticus 23, and Yah's Sabbatical and Jubilee years -Leviticus 25. I've been keeping the Sabbath's since 2008. My biggest sin at that time was polluting my temple with cigarettes. It was a constant reminder I'll never be perfect, but I can be righteous. Good News - I did finally quit smoking on October 18, 2018. Yahwey knows our hearts and whether or not we want to love Him the way asks us to. I know many are hard hearted and think it is so cool to believe that the Laws are harsh and not doable and that Christ did away with His Father's and His laws. In Acts 2:13-14 we read about the Handwriting of requirements that was against us being taken away. My avatar is a spindle spike that you may have seen used in restaurants or other forms of businesses. When you pay for what you owe, the clerk takes the receipt and pierces it. In the same way, the sin debt we owed which the penalty was death, we did not have to pay, because Jesus paid that debt for us. Now we are free to keep the commandments and show the Father and the Son how much we LOVE them by obedience. Again, a rebellious child usually gets some type of curse pronounced on their behavior and future actions. Fear God? Yes, I do, but I love Him and look forward to the 7th millennium and the 8th millennium. I believe at the end of the 7th millennium will be the Great White Throne judgment, but not the topic here. Also I read in scripture we are to become kings and priests in the Kingdom of Heaven/God. So I will close my chat with the Aaronic Blessing.

Num 6:24 The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
Num 6:25 The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
Num 6:26 The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
Num 6:27 And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Is there a verse in the bible that has both the 'lord's Day' and the 'Sabbath' in it?
God expects us to connect the dots. So what was the purpose of the 7th day Sabbath as seen by Christ? (a) rest, (b) worship, and (c) good works. And do these objectives fit into the Lord's Day -- the first day of the week (commonly known as Sunday)? Absolutely.
My understanding is that the day of the Lord takes place in the end-times where his wrath is released.
John was IN THE SPIRIT on the Lord's Day (Rev 1:10). The day of the LORD is something entirely different, and as you say, a day of wrath. So does anyone really believe that John was "in the Spirit" while under the wrath of God?