Do you observe the Sabbath?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Jesus sacrificed on the cross because God knew you and I would be challenged to keep the law ...but, where is the effort? That's His interest.

We notice in Job...God doesn't say Job was perfect but, that Job was a perfect servant. If we model after Job with righteous effort...God will be pleased because we will be a perfect servant.
Not hard at all.
Our righteousness is not seen when judged, we need to be covered in the righteousness of Jesus which is perfect.
our righteousness is as filthy rages.. My efferts are never good enough but by the Spirit of God in us we can do great things.

But we don't make void the law through grace. We establish it by the grace of God.

Rom 6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Grace911

Nov 11, 2018
Not the discussion topic, but I wish to elaborate with scripture why Jesus had to die.

1) Jesus is Yah's salvation (Yeshua)

2) Jesus is Immanuel (God with us)

3) Jesus is the God of the OT, the one we call Yehovah YHWH=LORD

4) Yehovah divorced the House of Israel and His own laws forbid Him from taking them again. (Deuteronomy 24:1-4

5) Jeremiah was puzzled how the LORD could have them return unto Him. Jeremiah 3:1

6) Jesus said He has only come for the lost sheep of the House of Israel. Matthew 15:24

7) Apostle Paul figured out the Mystery of the Gospel. (Romans 7:1-4)
Rom 7:1-4 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth? 2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. 3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.
4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
8) Jeremiah 31:31 and Hebrews 8:8 both state the New Covenant is for the House of Israel and the House of Judah.

9) Paul teaches on being the wild olive tree being grafted into the Olive tree. The Olive tree is rooted in the Israelites and the commonwealth of Israel. (Romans 11:17-18)

10) Paul teaches on being adopted.

11) Paul teaches that Jesus is the promised heir to Isaac.

12) Fullness of the Gentiles is the Mystery of the Gospel, as Jacob/Israel pronounced Blessings on Joseph's two sons, that the younger should become a multitude of Nations. (See Romans 11:25 and Genesis 48:19).

13) Mat_24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
If we model after Job with righteous effort...God will be pleased because we will be a perfect servant.
Not hard at all.
i agree we should follow Jobs example of being a righteous servent.

But "not hard"? i dissagree, the hardest battle i have ever fought is the battle against the flesh.
Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
Its a constant wrestle Mat 26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Thank God for Jesus

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
7) Apostle Paul figured out the Mystery of the Gospel. (Romans 7:1-4)
Rom 7:1-4 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth? 2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. 3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.
4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
Jesus died for our sin and we are no longer guilty of transgressing the law (the law defines sin).
We have become dead to the law by the body of Christ, Jesus took our place and paid the price for us.
Without faith and without this gift we are still condemned to eternal death.
The law still stands and is still judging people guilty of sin today.
If we are have become dead to the law by the body of Christ, do we continue in sin? Do we still transgress the law because Jesus paid the price?
No. We serve Jesus who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Jesus died for our sin and we are no longer guilty of transgressing the law (the law defines sin).
We have become dead to the law by the body of Christ, Jesus took our place and paid the price for us.
Without faith and without this gift we are still condemned to eternal death.
The law still stands and is still judging people guilty of sin today.
If we are have become dead to the law by the body of Christ, do we continue in sin? Do we still transgress the law because Jesus paid the price?
No. We serve Jesus who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

and what are the Fruits of the Sprit.

peace, love, joy, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faith ,gentleness, self control.

no Sabbath keeping mentioned.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Just curious if anyone observes the Sabbath. It seems like some people do and some people don’t, citing a variety of reasons.

Are there any clear commands to observe a Sabbath rest on the seventh day of the week? Which verses? I ask because I see there are clear commands to observe some of the 10 commandments, but I can’t find anything about Jesus or one of the apostles commanding anyone to keep the Sabbath.

Personally I don’t observe Sabbath day of rest as of right now, but I’ve considered it and I’m not opposed to it.

Also, if you keep the Sabbath, what do you do and don’t do on your Sabbath day of rest?
Yep. Seven days a week.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia

peace, love, joy, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faith ,gentleness, self control.

Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
Mar 2:27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
Mar 2:28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia

It doesn't metion Baptism and Not bearing false witness or stealing specificly either.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
fruits that come from Keeping the sabbath = Joy, Peace and Love for God ......

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
Mar 2:27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
Mar 2:28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

said to Israel through Moses at Sinai, not to the whole world.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
said to Israel through Moses at Sinai, not to the whole world.
Gen 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
Gen 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

before sin God sanctified the Sabbath. When was it unsactified?

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Yep. Seven days a week.
you treat the sabbath like all other days but God sanctified the seventh day only.
Keeping the sabbath is a command and by egnoring it you are ignoring the command.

J

joecoten

Gen 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
Gen 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

I think the pope had something to do with it.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011

the model God laid out was work six days and rest one.

i do.

work six days and rest on the Lord's Day, the day, the day Jesus rose, on sunday.

not on the Sabbath, He rose on sun. morning.

J

joecoten

The pope's day. I'm not doing my shopping tomorrow...I'll wait until Sunday for that. Like the disciples waited until Sunday to collect the offerings.
Shabbat shalom! :)

May 22, 2020
Our righteousness is not seen when judged, we need to be covered in the righteousness of Jesus which is perfect.
our righteousness is as filthy rages.. My efferts are never good enough but by the Spirit of God in us we can do great things.

But we don't make void the law through grace. We establish it by the grace of God.

Rom 6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

If you are not measured by God's law...then what standard are you following to be judged by?

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
so, did the pope or the romans invent sunday worship?

you guys need to get your falsehoods straight.

May 22, 2020

But "not hard"? i dissagree, the hardest battle i have ever fought is the battle against the flesh.
Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
Its a constant wrestle Mat 26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Thank God for Jesus
You fail to understand God's reference to Job as a .....perfect servant.

God was referring to Job as a perfect servant because Job gave his all to be righteous and when he goofed he immediately repented with much distress for the trespass.
If we are committed we will follow Christ and also we will error occasionally and when we do we repent showing much Mea culpa, then and there. That was Job, which was shown by Job in a clear manner when He was confronted with tribulations.

J

joecoten

so, did the pope or the romans invent sunday worship?

you guys need to get your falsehoods straight.
I read recently that the pope tried to change the sabbath to Sunday in order to de-Jewefy Christianity. The Lord sanctified the last day of the week at creation. So I pay no heed to the pope. I observe the sabbath because I believe it pleases the Lord. It's got nothing to do with my salvation, which is by faith. As far as worship goes, I worship every day.
Did I tell you that the Lord told me that I'm a Levite? I'm just trying to be a good fulfilled Hebrew, in reverse I guess you could say.

May 22, 2020

Thank God for Jesus

What is it hard for you to repent? or what?