Do you still sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
What happens to sin that is not confessed? Is it not forgiven?
All sins are forgiven to the Christian but unconfessed sin impedes scantification. A Christian cannot grow with unconfessed sin we are never brought under condemnation but we can have impeded fellowship with out Lord Jesus.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
This is all true. But what the apostle John was telling Christians is that there will be times when they are NOT walking in the Light.

Therefore it behooves all believers to examine themselves daily, and also ask God to examine them. Following that if they find that there are sins (of omission as well as commission) they must be confessed and repented of.

Indeed the apostle Paul tells all Christians to examine themselves carefully before partaking of the Lord's Supper (1 Corinthians 11). So yes, all our past sins were indeed forgiven when we first repented, but that does not mean that Christians should not be addressing their present sins (if any). In fact, there is "a sin unto death" for believers who fail to repent.

There are those who hold to Hyper-Grace teachings and claim that Christians do not need to address their current sins. That is false doctrine.
Oh goodness, I'm surprised no one is curious about being filled with the Holy Spirit and getting excited about how God has given us His Holy Spirit so we can live this life of holiness in our Savior Lord and King Yeshua/Jesus Christ that He wants us to live.........:unsure::love:

I have no idea what "Hyper-Grace" is and if it's NOT in the Bible, then I don't want to know!

As far as addressing ANY current sins - there are none - ONLY because Yeshua/Jesus Christ took ALL my sin away from me.

However, I'm still stumbling over my flesh with the rest of y'all, and when I do - I know it, immediately and I apology to God, and others and ask for God and the people I hurt for forgiveness, get back up and immediately start stirring up the Gift of the Holy Spirit within me because I know WHY I stumbled.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
All sins are forgiven to the Christian but unconfessed sin impedes scantification. A Christian cannot grow with unconfessed sin we are never brought under condemnation but we can have impeded fellowship with out Lord Jesus.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
I agree with you, but the verse indicates a loss of righteousness.

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
The one who is in Christ is no longer in the flesh. See the verses I’ve posted. The Lord has circumcised us from the flesh. In the OT, the saints were still attached to the flesh. Therefore, they were forbidden to eat certain unclean things, touch unclean things because the actions on the body affected their souls. Same for the unbeliever today. But now the believer’s soul is not affected eternally from the sins in the flesh.

Romans 7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

Colossians 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of thesins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and theuncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
I'm sorry, I'm not seeing what you're seeing in those scriptures, but thank you for sharing them with me. :love:

Yeshua/Jesus told people that it's NOT what goes into the body that defiles the body, but it is what comes out of the body that defiles the body. Yeshua/Jesus wants me more focused on my thoughts, words and behavior.

I'm keeping my focus on Christ - not really too concerned about what I eat or drink - I enjoy eating healthy, so I do. God has given me all things to enjoy, but not all things are profitable for me.

The Holy Spirit will guide us, counsel us, teach us, lead us, comfort us, instruct and correct us. We have so many choices every day...... we need to be filled with the Holy Spirit. :love:

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I agree with you, but the verse indicates a loss of righteousness.

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Just like He washed the apostles feet. Peter said wash all of me but Jesus said ye are clean but needed his feet washed. John13:10

For the cause of Christ
Roger

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
That's funny, I'm misinterpreting John 3:9 by simply AGREEING with it. :unsure::giggle::love:

1 John 3:8-9 King James Version (KJV)
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

For every true born again believer, God has completely removed our sin with the Blood and Body of Yeshua/Jesus Christ.

We don't sin anymore, we "fall down" "stumble" "get taken in a fault" and why? because, as new born children we are in the process of LEARNING how to walk in by the Spirit so we do not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

Never again will I call myself a "sinner" or call any of my brothers and sisters in Christ a "sinner" nor agree with them if they call themselves a "sinner."

Why? because God doesn't call His true born again believer children "sinners." He calls us "beloved" "brethern" "friends" "sons" "daughters"...... :love:(y)
Oh boy, here we go? Can you please give me an example or two of how someone "falls down" or "stumbles?" In other words, what causes a person to stumble or fall down?

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Paul never denied that he was fleshly, a human being who had sin within him, and still Paul accepted that through Christ he took on being without sin: wiped clean of all his sin. He didn't let his humanness stop him from accepting the complete forgiveness offered him, or let it stop him from doing his best to be true to his sinless being.

Paul tells us in Romans 7:15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[a] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
Paul is sharing with us his struggle which is the same for all of us. Yet, Paul does not say "he is the one sinning because he is not choosing sin, so how can he be sinning? Paul never calls himself a "sinner."

Later in chapter 8 - he comes to the conclusion that there is no condemnation to those who are in Christ and tells us that we are to live this new life by the Spirit.

Romans 8:1-5 King James Version (KJV)
8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

In 2 Peter we are told that we are near sighted and blind if, after accepting Christ's forgiveness we don't walk in the way of the Lord.

God does not look at our humanness after we accept the power of Christ, God looks at our hearts. We don't have control of our humanness, but we are given control of our thoughts and heart.
If we are filled with the Holy Spirit, we can walk by the Spirit and NOT fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

I'm tired of stumbling and falling down, it hurts. I want to walk by the Spirit......I'm learning...:love:(y)

Dec 9, 2011
Good grief, you now have to pick words to "soft-soap" the word "SIN?" Stumble, slipped, made a mistake, backslid a little bit, didn't mean to do it, it's not as bad as all that, afterall it's just a little sin, I mean I didn't murder anybody. I suggest you read Romans 7:25 and please explain what the Apostle Pauo's point is? Also for context read the verses before and after vs25.

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto
You may have jumped to respond to my post before reading It with calm and judging what I said peacefully.

I only meant that the word backslide doesn't mean that the person lost their salvation, GOD IS not looking at your sin to decide whether you are righteous enough to relate with him,We know that those who think that way are looking at things as If saying your sin Is worser than my sin therefore GOD will be more likely to give me salvation

All have sinned and come short of the glory of GOD.You know anImperfect thought Is not accepted by a PERFECT GOD If HE were looking at your sin to decide.

A person can't relate with GOD perfectly In the flesh the way HIS SPIRIT IS PERFECT.
So then that Is why I said stumble Is a better word than backside because some people see the word backsliding and they think that that person must not be saved.

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
Okay, let's take a look :geek::love:

Romans 7:24-8:2 King James Version (KJV)
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Paul is explaining the struggle we cannot win with only our mind against our flesh. Even if we decide to choose God's Will, we can't do it without the power of the Holy Spirit. True born again believers have been sealed, baptized and filled with the Holy Spirit, but we need to learn to be continually filled with the Holy Spirit so we can walk after the Spirit.

8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

We're not "sinners" anymore. We're children learning how to walk.

Take a look at this:

Romans 6:17-19 King James Version (KJV)
17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

However, it appears we STILL have a choice......... We got to learn how to make right choices - how to choose the Father's Will, how to walk by the Spirit.

19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.

God bless you, bluto! Thanks for sharing scripture with me. :love:(y)
Listen missy, I'm well aware of Romans 6 and especially what vs18 is teaching. It is "NOT" teaching your sinless or that you don't commit sins. You have to realize that slavery was common place in Paul's day. The Roman Christians clearly understood Paul's language. Being "made free" is the Greek word "eleutheroo," "to liberate, set free from bondage, to set a liberty."

In other words, believers are set free from the "BONDAGE" of sin and Satan. Now we are freed to a new slavery, to become slaves of righteousness. Paul is saying that at one time you gave yourself to sin as its slave, and when you did that righteousness had no claim over you. NOW that you have given yourself to God as a slave to righteousness, sin has no claim on you.

This does not mean we don't still commit sin/sins. Why do you think the Apostle John wrote at 1 John 2:1-2 My little children, I am writing these things to you that you MAY not sin. And "IF" anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; vs2, and He Himself is the propitiatikon for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for the whole world." This had already been explained to you but you don't seem to want to listen by thinking your position through.

Moreover at 1 John 3:8-9, "the one who "PRACTICES" sin is of the devil." Vs9, "No one who is born of God "PRACTICES" sin, why? Because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin/PRACTICE sin, because he is born of God." A born again believer will not make sin a practice or continually habitually sinning. It bothers the Christian when they sin. Like I said in another post, "If you don't hate sin or when you commit sin, there is something wrong with your Christianity.

You might ask, "what time frame would be "habitual" to a Christian?" Or what span of time is making a practice of sin? I don't know the answer to that, only God knows our hearts. By you saying you don't commit sin, (and bty your dogmatic about it) your doing a disservice to new or younger Christians who don't understand that your not only contradicting yourself but your contradicting the Bible. And yes, I know you mean well but that does not make you right.

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
You may have jumped to respond to my post before reading It with calm and judging what I said peacefully.

I only meant that the word backslide doesn't mean that the person lost their salvation, GOD IS not looking at your sin to decide whether you are righteous enough to relate with him,We know that those who think that way are looking at things as If saying your sin Is worser than my sin therefore GOD will be more likely to give me salvation

All have sinned and come short of the glory of GOD.You know anImperfect thought Is not accepted by a PERFECT GOD If HE were looking at your sin to decide.

A person can't relate with GOD perfectly In the flesh the way HIS SPIRIT IS PERFECT.
So then that Is why I said stumble Is a better word than backside because some people see the word backsliding and they think that that person must not be saved.
Actually I was addressing what Lafftur had said, not necessarily you.

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I know I have not been online often due to my eyes trying to heal but Lafftur unless I am recalling incorrectly you and I have been in this kind of argument with another user that used to be on here didn't we?
Oh gosh Blain, I'm so sorry, I don't remember! :giggle: Great to have you back! :love:(y)

There is no one side this debate we are both sinners and saints we both have sin and also don't it's just a matter of whose eyes you are seeing through. We can hold to our own beliefs and doctrines so tight that sometimes even if we are presented the truth we are blind to it deaf to it and refuse it.
The only eyes all of us need to see everything through are God's eyes. To see what He sees when He looks at each of us......

Man sees, judges and condemns...... yet, God sees and says no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus.

So, whose eyes do you want to see yourself through, Blain - yours or God's?

Once you have seen yourself through God's eyes, you're never the same - no one can convince you that you're a sinner. It just isn't true.

We're God's children learning how to walk by the Spirit so we do not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

All true born again believers have received the Righteousness of God in Christ Jesus" - None are sinners anymore we're His children.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank You for Blain! The words you give him to write are so life giving and encouraging - an absolute joy to read!

Touch and heal his eyes, whatever he is going through, Father, help him, strengthen him, give him joy, great joy, in the Name of Yeshua/Jesus, amen. :love:(y)

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Oh gosh Blain, I'm so sorry, I don't remember! :giggle: Great to have you back! :love:(y)

The only eyes all of us need to see everything through are God's eyes. To see what He sees when He looks at each of us......

Man sees, judges and condemns...... yet, God sees and says no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus.

So, whose eyes do you want to see yourself through, Blain - yours or God's?

Once you have seen yourself through God's eyes, you're never the same - no one can convince you that you're a sinner. It just isn't true.

We're God's children learning how to walk by the Spirit so we do not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

All true born again believers have received the Righteousness of God in Christ Jesus" - None are sinners anymore we're His children.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank You for Blain! The words you give him to write are so life giving and encouraging - an absolute joy to read!

Touch and heal his eyes, whatever he is going through, Father, help him, strengthen him, give him joy, great joy, in the Name of Yeshua/Jesus, amen. :love:(y)
It's quite alright my memory isn't the greatest so it may have been another person and you are absolutely right in what you say about the eyes. The thing is I can see through his eyes when it comes to other people but for some reason when it comes to me most of the time I can't. I have always struggled with depression and self laothing but when I met him the love he poured into me and the way his heart expressed how he felt about me bafflrd and confused me even to this day I have no idea how he sees what does because I sure don't see it but I also do not simply accept how I view myself either.

I know what everyone sees when they look at me and what they think as well, in their eyes I am a weak incapable child even my mom said so when she got drunk one night and to be honest a lot of times that is how I feel since I can never be like everyone else I will always have to have help even I know living on my own or driving is past my capability but when I look inside my heart I don't see what they see or believe what they do either it's like when I am with him I see small adoring child who gleefully plays and laughs with him but I also see a strong warrior who is full of valor strength and honor like I am called to arms in his army or something.

To be honest even I am surprised to see this in me when I look inside but maybe that is what it means to see yourself through his eyes often times it surprises us

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
I agree. A better word is "stumble". :love:(y)
What struggle with is the thought of making others stumble. Thankfully God forgives that as well it's tough to avoid it sometimes I wouldnt intentionally do it.

NOV25

Nov 23, 2019
but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea. - Matthew 18:6

E

EleventhHour

Paul never calls himself a "sinner."
Not really.........

For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.… I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do” (Rom 7:14–15, 19).

Paul admits to sin and we all sin.

A person often is not even aware of their own sin, the righteousness of God is that far from our understanding.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Oh goodness, I'm surprised no one is curious about being filled with the Holy Spirit and getting excited about how God has given us His Holy Spirit so we can live this life of holiness in our Savior Lord and King Yeshua/Jesus Christ that He wants us to live.........:unsure::love:
Yes yes yes! Sweet sweet Holy Spirit. One of if not the first question they asked.. have you received since you believe. Thank you for saying this.. bless you.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Hello Laffur!

You are correct, believers have been credited with the righteousness of Christ and have been reconciled to God, yet we still have our sinful nature and we still sin. John wrote about this very thing saying:

"If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1Jn 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us."

John wrote the above to believers in Christ, not unbelievers. If we no longer sin then the above would make no sense. In fact, it states that if anyone says that he has no sin the truth is not in them. But if we confess our sins the Lord is faithful and just to forgive us. Suffice to say, if you claim to not have sin, then there would be no need to confess. Not only is this true, but scripture states that Christ died for us while we were yet sinners.

A better description of our status would be that we are covered sinners. Not meaning those who deliberately/willfully live according to the sinful nature, but those who are walking in Christ and who commit sins out of weakness. To say that we have no sin is false.

1 John 3:8-9 King James Version (KJV)
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

The scriptures above are talking about those who commit willful deliberate sin, i.e. living according to the sinful nature. It doesn't mean that we don't sin as believers.
Thanks so much for your post, Ahwatukee! :love:

I'm curious, can you help me by comparing the the Greek/Hebrew words used for sin and see if it's the same sin. Like you said, there's willful deliberate sin and then there's sin out of weakness..... I'm just curious if it is the SAME wording or different that is being used for "sin."

Also, take a look at the word sin in the following scripture below:

1 John 5:16-18 King James Version (KJV)
16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

17 All unrighteousness is
sin: and there is a sin not unto death. (Is the same Greek/Hebrew word used for both of these "sin"? Because John seems to be talking about two different types of sin.... just like you mentioned.:unsure:)

18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

I haven't learned yet how to look up Greek/Hebrew words used in scripture, but I really need to. I'm going to research on my own and see if I can do it, too!

I'd love to compare what you get with what I get because I really do want to know the TRUTH about sin and learn how to find the Greek/Hebrew words used. Thanks! :love:

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
By the way, backsliding is sin.
But, perhaps it's "sin NOT unto death"........ the following scripture has me curious.....:unsure:

I've been thinking ALL SIN is unto DEATH, that's why I'm saying No, we no longer have sin because we have been given Eternal Life, but....... there might be two different types of SIN....:unsure:

16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death. :unsure:

18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

I'm trying to figure out what Greek/Hebrew words are used - if they are the same or different.....:unsure:

NOV25

Nov 23, 2019
Thanks so much for your post, Ahwatukee! :love:

I'm curious, can you help me by comparing the the Greek/Hebrew words used for sin and see if it's the same sin. Like you said, there's willful deliberate sin and then there's sin out of weakness..... I'm just curious if it is the SAME wording or different that is being used for "sin."

Also, take a look at the word sin in the following scripture below:

17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death. (Is the same Greek/Hebrew word used for both of these "sin"? Because John seems to be talking about two different types of sin.... just like you mentioned.:unsure:)

I haven't learned yet how to look up Greek/Hebrew words used in scripture, but I really need to. I'm going to research on my own and see if I can do it, too!

I'd love to compare what you get with what I get because I really do want to know the TRUTH about sin and learn how to find the Greek/Hebrew words used. Thanks! :love:
See post # 134 for truth 🙈🙉

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Everyone that has posted....... I'm reading your posts and promise I will reply!! I'm on Post #87...... no worries I'll eventually catch up!!!

Much love to all of you! :love:(y)